What kind of food to eat that's high in fat? - Page 5

Go Back   The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online > Diabetes Forum Community > Diabetes Diet and Nutrition


Diabetes Diet and Nutrition A healthy, well balanced, nutritious diet which factors in Diabetes can be crucial for the long term management of Diabetes. Use this section to discuss your diet, what you would like to try, swap recipes and more.


Like Tree39Likes

What kind of food to eat that's high in fat? - Page 5


Reply
 
Shared Thread Thread Tools
Old 10-19-2016, 23:45   #41
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: USA
Posts: 1,284

Member Type
Type 2
Diagnosed in 2002

1924 likes received
1058 likes given
Default

Sam, you are not a mess! You are a soldier, and a guy who thinks things through and investigates before moving forward....and that sir is the American way! Continue your journey, ask questions, seek best solutions and you will find that the journey itself is the reward!

God Bless....

By the way, when out to dinner I drink Micalob Ultra as it has only 2 carps...not bad! But I have to be careful because I worked for Coors for over 15 years....but the lowest carb is best for me now!

Sam037 likes this.

Last edited by div2live; 10-19-2016 at 23:48.
div2live is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 00:38   #42
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: USA, Arizona
Posts: 171

Member Type
Type 2
Diagnosed in 1993

13 likes received
64 likes given
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by div2live View Post
Sam, you are not a mess! You are a soldier, and a guy who thinks things through and investigates before moving forward....and that sir is the American way! Continue your journey, ask questions, seek best solutions and you will find that the journey itself is the reward!

God Bless....

By the way, when out to dinner I drink Micalob Ultra as it has only 2 carps...not bad! But I have to be careful because I worked for Coors for over 15 years....but the lowest carb is best for me now!
When I feel like having a beer, that is exactly what I have too. I may have one on a Saturday night. I was wounding doesn't your drinking drop you blood sugar? I only have one, but there was the day that my brother and I would split a 12 pack. That was when life was really fun. I can remember beer being twenty five cents on base. Thanks div2live.

Sam037 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 14:57   #43
Active Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Japan
Posts: 49

Member Type
Type 2
Diagnosed in 2016

23 likes received
78 likes given
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeeJay View Post
I don't need to fear my blood sugar going low because I am not taking any medication that forces my pancreas to produce insulin whether or not its needed.

So when I eat low carb, with high fat, my body is running on fats for fuel. There is no need for carbohydrates. My blood sugar stays fairly low and steady - between 100 and 120 - and occasionally dips into the low 90s.

IF, and that's a big IF, my blood sugar should drop below 70, my liver, which has stored glucose as glycogen from past meals that contain carbohydrates, can AND WILL, convert that glycogen into glucose and raise my blood sugar without my having to eat a single thing.

I sense you are afraid of going hypo. And if you are on one of the drugs that stimulate the pancreas to produce insulin, then that is a valid concern. If you are not, then there should be no fear of going hypo.

103 is an excellent level if you are diabetes med-free and should not have to be treated with eating a snack. Even if your blood sugar would drop some during the night, your liver would bring it back up. The fact that you have DP is indication that your liver is quite capable in this regard

----
The forum is active whenever there is someone logged on and posting. Most of our active members right now live in Canada and the US, so are on during those time zones. There are others, however, who are from all other parts of the globe. At any given time in a 24-hour day there will be at least a few people reading the threads on the forum.






Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sam037 likes this.
__________________
3/30/2016 A1c 6.7
6/3/2016 A1c 6.1
9/9/2016 A1c 5.5
Hoping to control by diet to bring A1c down to 5's
gmlandis is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Old 11-03-2016, 14:59   #44
Active Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Japan
Posts: 49

Member Type
Type 2
Diagnosed in 2016

23 likes received
78 likes given
Default

Thanks VeeJay, this is so helpful to me!!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VeeJay likes this.
__________________
3/30/2016 A1c 6.7
6/3/2016 A1c 6.1
9/9/2016 A1c 5.5
Hoping to control by diet to bring A1c down to 5's
gmlandis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 18:39   #45
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: USA, Arizona
Posts: 171

Member Type
Type 2
Diagnosed in 1993

13 likes received
64 likes given
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmlandis View Post
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I take one med that can cause me to go low. Where do you get your fat from and how long will the glucose from past meals remain in the liver. I have been doing great with carbs during the day, but the night make me tense. I have had times where I would sweat at night, check my blood sugar and it had dropped from 180 to 135 in four hours. of course 135 is not hypo, but is a false hypo. I also have been having episodes at night of neuropathy in my legs. Sam

Sam037 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 14:39   #46
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: USA
Posts: 1,284

Member Type
Type 2
Diagnosed in 2002

1924 likes received
1058 likes given
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam037 View Post
When I feel like having a beer, that is exactly what I have too. I may have one on a Saturday night. I was wounding doesn't your drinking drop you blood sugar? I only have one, but there was the day that my brother and I would split a 12 pack. That was when life was really fun. I can remember beer being twenty five cents on base. Thanks div2live.
Sam....you are talking my story now! I worked for Coors for 18 years we could get 2 free cases a week. I did not drink That much, but all my friends and neighbors were well stocked! SMILE

I am not sure if working at Coors or being a big BRONCO fan back in the early days (they never won) contributed most to my consumption of Barley Pop?

Course now, I don't drink that much, but I do have a Micalobe Ultra (2 carbs) with dinner once and a while....

div2live is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 16:49   #47
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: USA, Arizona
Posts: 171

Member Type
Type 2
Diagnosed in 1993

13 likes received
64 likes given
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by div2live View Post
Sam....you are talking my story now! I worked for Coors for 18 years we could get 2 free cases a week. I did not drink That much, but all my friends and neighbors were well stocked! SMILE

I am not sure if working at Coors or being a big BRONCO fan back in the early days (they never won) contributed most to my consumption of Barley Pop?

Course now, I don't drink that much, but I do have a Micalobe Ultra (2 carbs) with dinner once and a while....
I don't very often. I like O'duels (SP?) but it has 14 carbs in it. Yes, for at least twenty years I had not had a drink I loved my beer. I remember Coor's being a luxury beer. We just could not find it. I had friends that would ask friends going to CO to bring them back some. I like Bush except for Micolobe. Pabst Blue Ribbon gave me a headache. I am always afraid of the alcohol taking me to low.
I have never drank two of the Ultra, just one. I had one a few weeks ago on an empty stomach and honest go God, I felt it. My wife told me if I could drink I would get heavy. I only weigh 140, this is why my doctors PA told me I was atypical. There are two in our family that got it from our grandmother. Do you know how long it takes the LCHF diet to begin working. I am having just eggbeaters with flax and a half of an avocada for breakfast with my metformin and Glimepriade. I usually have a tea spoon of berries. This morning my bs was 188 at 6am. When I exercise it goes up close to over over 200
by lunch. But if I do my exercise in the afternoon it drops down to around 100-115. I am really cutting back on carbs, but haven't seen anything as yet with my readings. It is very worrisome and makes me tense. Januvia worked, but at night I would have neuropathy. I stopped taking it.

div2live likes this.
Sam037 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 16:57   #48
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: USA
Posts: 1,284

Member Type
Type 2
Diagnosed in 2002

1924 likes received
1058 likes given
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam037 View Post
I don't very often. I like O'duels (SP?) but it has 14 carbs in it. Yes, for at least twenty years I had not had a drink I loved my beer. I remember Coor's being a luxury beer. We just could not find it. I had friends that would ask friends going to CO to bring them back some. I like Bush except for Micolobe. Pabst Blue Ribbon gave me a headache. I am always afraid of the alcohol taking me to low.
I have never drank two of the Ultra, just one. I had one a few weeks ago on an empty stomach and honest go God, I felt it. My wife told me if I could drink I would get heavy. I only weigh 140, this is why my doctors PA told me I was atypical. There are two in our family that got it from our grandmother. Do you know how long it takes the LCHF diet to begin working. I am having just eggbeaters with flax and a half of an avocada for breakfast with my metformin and Glimepriade. I usually have a tea spoon of berries. This morning my bs was 188 at 6am. When I exercise it goes up close to over over 200
by lunch. But if I do my exercise in the afternoon it drops down to around 100-115. I am really cutting back on carbs, but haven't seen anything as yet with my readings. It is very worrisome and makes me tense. Januvia worked, but at night I would have neuropathy. I stopped taking it.
Sam, you probably already posted this somewhere, but I will ask again anyway, how many carbs are you now eating daily? Most of us find that low carbs is the trick to controlling blood sugar. Of course that has to be supplemented with fats or you will get hungry and cravings....

div2live is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 22:02   #49
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: USA, Arizona
Posts: 171

Member Type
Type 2
Diagnosed in 1993

13 likes received
64 likes given
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by div2live View Post
Sam, you probably already posted this somewhere, but I will ask again anyway, how many carbs are you now eating daily? Most of us find that low carbs is the trick to controlling blood sugar. Of course that has to be supplemented with fats or you will get hungry and cravings....
Breakfast 3 carbs
Lunch - 12 or a but under
supper - 20-30 carbs

If I don't have more carbs with dinner my bs reading drops during the night and I get false hypos, basically neuropathy, and I also have DP in the morning. This morning my bs at 6am was 188. If I exercise in the morning the noon reading will go over 200. I didn't exercise and at noon is was still 188. I exercise in the afternoon and the readings drop to around 100 by 6pm before supper. I eat more carbs at supper to try to have a reading of 160. If I don't I have to eat a snack at bedtime (11PM) or I get sudden neuopathy in my sleep which wakes me up. So if at 11pm my blood sugar is below 160 I usually eat a snack of 5-6 carbs. Last night at 11pm the reading was 156. I ate a 1/4 cup of cottage cheese and 2 wheat thins with a table spoon of Almond butter. This is the way it is every evening. The PA told me to take a snack if my reading was below 180, but this was before I stopped taking Januvia. I have found below 160 works better for me. So what is your assessment? I would cut back on the carbs at supper, but if I go to sleep with a reading of below 160 I wake up with really bad neuropathy. I don't have any of the neuropathy throughout the day time. I truly get no help from the PA as to what to eat. I just don't know what to do, and worry about it all of the time. I hope you can understand what I am saying about my supper meals. They are much higher in carbs, but if not I will wake up with neuropathy. Now I don't eat any fat to speak of at supper. I don't understand why eating fat and less carbs with evening meal does not keep a diabetic's blood sugar from dropping extremely low during sleep. I could eat another 1/2 of avocado. So can you give me some tips on how to stop the mess I am presently in. Even thought the new study on saturated fat show those fats are not bad for you with my dad dying at 48 of a heart attack still reminds me of his eating the fat he did throughout his life. Sam

Sam037 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 02:01   #50
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: USA, Arizona
Posts: 171

Member Type
Type 2
Diagnosed in 1993

13 likes received
64 likes given
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam037 View Post
Breakfast 3 carbs
Lunch - 12 or a but under
supper - 20-30 carbs

If I don't have more carbs with dinner my bs reading drops during the night and I get false hypos, basically neuropathy, and I also have DP in the morning. This morning my bs at 6am was 188. If I exercise in the morning the noon reading will go over 200. I didn't exercise and at noon is was still 188. I exercise in the afternoon and the readings drop to around 100 by 6pm before supper. I eat more carbs at supper to try to have a reading of 160. If I don't I have to eat a snack at bedtime (11PM) or I get sudden neuopathy in my sleep which wakes me up. So if at 11pm my blood sugar is below 160 I usually eat a snack of 5-6 carbs. Last night at 11pm the reading was 156. I ate a 1/4 cup of cottage cheese and 2 wheat thins with a table spoon of Almond butter. This is the way it is every evening. The PA told me to take a snack if my reading was below 180, but this was before I stopped taking Januvia. I have found below 160 works better for me. So what is your assessment? I would cut back on the carbs at supper, but if I go to sleep with a reading of below 160 I wake up with really bad neuropathy. I don't have any of the neuropathy throughout the day time. I truly get no help from the PA as to what to eat. I just don't know what to do, and worry about it all of the time. I hope you can understand what I am saying about my supper meals. They are much higher in carbs, but if not I will wake up with neuropathy. Now I don't eat any fat to speak of at supper. I don't understand why eating fat and less carbs with evening meal does not keep a diabetic's blood sugar from dropping extremely low during sleep. I could eat another 1/2 of avocado. So can you give me some tips on how to stop the mess I am presently in. Even thought the new study on saturated fat show those fats are not bad for you with my dad dying at 48 of a heart attack still reminds me of his eating the fat he did throughout his life. Sam
I just found out that an avocado has 12 carbs so my breakfast is 9.

Sam037 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
High fat diet with high lipid values TriciaS Diabetes Diet and Nutrition 18 06-23-2015 17:25
mcdonalds tells employees not to eat fast food Tallyrver Diabetes 5 12-26-2013 05:49
Basal testing- can I eat fat? EatandRun Diabetes Treatment 2 10-29-2013 20:32
does anyone NOT eat low carb high fat? alfbarks Diabetes 90 04-19-2013 16:59
Potato Skins, the kind I can eat MCS Diabetes Recipes 8 01-31-2012 17:55

LEGAL NOTICE
By using this Website, you agree to abide by our Terms and Conditions (the "Terms"). This notice does not replace our Terms, which you must read in full as they contain important information. You must not post any defamatory, unlawful or undesirable content, or any content copied from a third party, on the Website. You must not copy material from the Website except in accordance with the Terms. This Website gives users an opportunity to share information only and is not intended to contain any advice which you should rely upon. It does not replace the need to take professional or other advice. We have no liability to you or any other person in respect of any content on this Website.


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 04:38.




Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.