2000-3000 calories a day?

Go Back   The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online > Diabetes Forum Community > Diabetes Diet and Nutrition

Diabetes Diet and Nutrition A healthy, well balanced, nutritious diet which factors in Diabetes can be crucial for the long term management of Diabetes. Use this section to discuss your diet, what you would like to try, swap recipes and more.


Like Tree5Likes

2000-3000 calories a day?


Closed Thread
 
Shared Thread Thread Tools
Old 04-05-2012, 13:19   #1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Minnesota, USA
Posts: 554

Member Type
Type 2
Diagnosed in 2010

478 likes received
497 likes given
Default 2000-3000 calories a day?

I have seen siggy's which state how many caloeries one eats. I have seen a few at 2000 and most recently saw 3000 calories a day on a LCHF diet. How does one do that? I struggle getting 1200 calories on LCHF because I get full and just can't eat that much LCHF stuff at a meal. I generally don't count calories except somedays to make sure I get enough, but I am just curious what these people are eating and how they manage to eat that much without getting sickly full?

P.S. I hope people don't misinterpret this as me making a judgement about eating that many calories, but since I struggle to get enough, I want to see their "tricks".

__________________
Diagnosed Type 2 April 2010
Lantus 20 units
Metformin 1000 mg 2xday
Lisinipril w HCTZ 20/12.5 mg
Lasix 40 mg 2x day
Potassium CHL ER 20 MEQ
Levothyroxine 112 mg/day
April 1, 2010, A1c: 7.9 (diagnosis)
June 17, 2010, A1c: 6.1 (c peptide 3.4, bgl 91)
August 5, 2010, A1c: 5.8
February, 2011, A1c: 5.6
August 24, 2011, A1c: 5.3 (c peptide 0.8, bgl 75)
February 17, 2012, A1c: 5.0
jojeti is offline  
Old 04-05-2012, 14:16   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: California, USA
Posts: 2,603

Member Type
Type 2
Diagnosed in 2009

3705 likes received
428 likes given
Default

For a while, I was eating around 3600 calories per day on LC/HF. No trick, but I was eating three meals a day. It didn't affect may blood sugar or my weight. In fact, ironically that was the period when I lost all the weight which was about 30 pounds. Now, my weight is fixed.

I just followed whatever I felt like doing and that was it. After a while, things changed. I just wasn't hungry enough to eat that much. I haven't counted recently, but I'd guess I'm probably at about 1800 - 2000 calories with just two real meals (breakfast at 6:00 am and dinner at 6:00 pm) and maybe a handful of mixed nuts and coffee with cream in between.

I don't know what it means just that on LC/HF, it seems that I can always just eat exactly as much and as often as I feel like and get the desired results. That works for me!

BTW, I still have days now and then when I just feel like EATING a lot. As long as I maintain my macro-nutrient ratio (in my signature), this is no problem and I enjoy it. That's what I love the most about this WOE - zero need for self-deprivation, "portion control" or anything like that. Very little "discipline" required.

__________________
Salim Morgan, T2
60 Years
DX: 9/2009 A1C=10.7
A1C 2/2010: 6.7 (DX + 4 months)
A1C 5/2010: 6.0 (DX + 8 months)
A1C 8/2010: 5.7 (DX + 11 months)
A1C 11/2010: 5.1 (DX + 14 months)
A1C 9/2011: 5.6 (DX + 2 years)
A1C 7/2012: 5.5 (DX + 2 years 10 months)
Diet: Approximately C:10;P:15;F:75 (as % calories)
Ketogenic (Most of the time)
Exercise: Not much. Stairs at home & work. 10 min dumbells most days
NO MEDS, No Highs, No Lows
Grandkids: 16
smorgan is offline  
Old 04-05-2012, 14:35   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Minnesota, USA
Posts: 554

Member Type
Type 2
Diagnosed in 2010

478 likes received
497 likes given
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by smorgan View Post
For a while, I was eating around 3600 calories per day on LC/HF. No trick, but I was eating three meals a day. It didn't affect may blood sugar or my weight. In fact, ironically that was the period when I lost all the weight which was about 30 pounds. Now, my weight is fixed.

I just followed whatever I felt like doing and that was it. After a while, things changed. I just wasn't hungry enough to eat that much. I haven't counted recently, but I'd guess I'm probably at about 1800 - 2000 calories with just two real meals (breakfast at 6:00 am and dinner at 6:00 pm) and maybe a handful of mixed nuts and coffee with cream in between.

I don't know what it means just that on LC/HF, it seems that I can always just eat exactly as much and as often as I feel like and get the desired results. That works for me!

BTW, I still have days now and then when I just feel like EATING a lot. As long as I maintain my macro-nutrient ratio (in my signature), this is no problem and I enjoy it. That's what I love the most about this WOE - zero need for self-deprivation, "portion control" or anything like that. Very little "discipline" required.
I eat 3 meals a day and enough to feel satisfied, I don't limit what I eat, just the carbs (<20 a day). I just find LCHF is so filling I am not hungry. Maybe it is a combination of the metformin and LCHF which makes it hard to eat more. Now on the other hand, if I fall off the wagon a day or two, I would have no problem eating that many calories as I am always hungry.

__________________
Diagnosed Type 2 April 2010
Lantus 20 units
Metformin 1000 mg 2xday
Lisinipril w HCTZ 20/12.5 mg
Lasix 40 mg 2x day
Potassium CHL ER 20 MEQ
Levothyroxine 112 mg/day
April 1, 2010, A1c: 7.9 (diagnosis)
June 17, 2010, A1c: 6.1 (c peptide 3.4, bgl 91)
August 5, 2010, A1c: 5.8
February, 2011, A1c: 5.6
August 24, 2011, A1c: 5.3 (c peptide 0.8, bgl 75)
February 17, 2012, A1c: 5.0
jojeti is offline  
Old 04-05-2012, 14:48   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Hovden, Norway
Posts: 951

Member Type
Type 1
Diagnosed in 2010

562 likes received
494 likes given
Default

I struggle to keep my weight up. I am 48 kilo and have to eat at least 2100 calories a day to not loose weight.
I eat 3 meals a day, and I use guite a lot of seeds and nuts. Both seeds and nuts are fatty, and fat gives more calories than protein and carbohydrates.
With lots of fat in the diet the amount of food isnt that much.

jojeti likes this.
__________________
Last A1c 5,4
---------------------
Always look on the bright side of life
optimist is offline  
Old 04-05-2012, 17:03   #5
Senior Member
 
beefy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Alberta, Canada
Posts: 1,491

Member Type
Type 2
Diagnosed in 2011

597 likes received
19 likes given
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojeti View Post
I have seen siggy's which state how many caloeries one eats. I have seen a few at 2000 and most recently saw 3000 calories a day on a LCHF diet. How does one do that? I struggle getting 1200 calories on LCHF because I get full and just can't eat that much LCHF stuff at a meal. I generally don't count calories except somedays to make sure I get enough, but I am just curious what these people are eating and how they manage to eat that much without getting sickly full?
Hi there, I'm one of the big eaters... I eat a minimum of 3,000 and sometimes as much as 4,000 a day. My strategy is twofold:

First, I eat 5 or 6 times a day at minimum, so I'm typically only eating between 500 - 850 calories per meal and 400 - 600 calories per snack (which as a 6'3" 218lb guy isn't overly-huge portions). I usually go no more than 3 to 3.5 hrs between meals.

I eat this many times a day because - as you suggest - otherwise I'd get crazy full... but also to avoid liver dumps.

Personally, if I go more than 3.5hrs without a meal my liver dumps glucose into my system and sends my BG's higher than any meal I eat normally would... usually dumps send me into the 6.8 to 7.5 range (120-135), whereas my meals keep me in the low to mid 6's (105-115 or so).

Secondly, I have learned to view food mostly as fuel - whereas before my Dx I often viewed it as a source of entertainment. Because I now look at it as fuel, I don't mind eating the same thing repeatedly for breakfast, or eating something boring, or eating when I don't necessarily WANT to, etc. I still get "fun" meals at times, and I still eat out with family/friends etc., but I do so with a view more to making that food the perfect fuel for my body rather than an entertaining experience. I let the friends/family be the entertainment rather than the food...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojeti View Post
P.S. I hope people don't misinterpret this as me making a judgement about eating that many calories, but since I struggle to get enough, I want to see their "tricks".
No worries there, I understand the need to get enough calories!

jojeti likes this.
__________________
47 yr. old Male
Alberta, Canada

Dx'd T2 Dec 19, 2010 - Fasting BG: 14.8 (267), A1c: 12.1, Wt: 290lb (over 320lbs at my heaviest)

As of Apr 23, 2013: 14-day Avg Fasting BG: 4.7 (85), A1c (Dec21): 5.1%, Stats: 230lb, 6'3" now with 37" waist

Low-Carb (Usually < 45-60g per day on a 3,000+ calories daily diet)

On Metformin only for meds. Exercise 6 days a week.
Supplement only with: Men's Multi-Vitamin, Vitamin D 2000iu/day, Aspirin 81mg, Cinnamon Extract and Fish Oil all 1x per day

beefy is offline  
Old 04-05-2012, 19:31   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: North East Ohio, USA
Posts: 4,368

Member Type
Type 2
Diagnosed in 2007

1774 likes received
1507 likes given
Default

I am rather petite ( 5'3.5") so I probably eat between 1500-2200 on any given day. I really don't count. I do add tons of fat to all my meals and snacks. That is how you increase the calories. Since fat is 9 calories per gram, it adds up quickly

__________________
diagnosed Feb 2007
metformin-2550
low carb organic diet
3 T of Coconut Oil daily
moderate exercise- mostly walking 3-5 miles, tennis - 4 hours per week, weight training, hiking on weekends and vacations 7-10 miles

HbA1c 5.3 3/11
HbA1c 6.1 5/12

Age 62
jwags is offline  
Old 04-05-2012, 20:44   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Minnesota, USA
Posts: 554

Member Type
Type 2
Diagnosed in 2010

478 likes received
497 likes given
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwags View Post
I am rather petite ( 5'3.5") so I probably eat between 1500-2200 on any given day. I really don't count. I do add tons of fat to all my meals and snacks. That is how you increase the calories. Since fat is 9 calories per gram, it adds up quickly
I think its time to get coconut oil. After 2 years I still haven't bought any. I keep forgeting.

__________________
Diagnosed Type 2 April 2010
Lantus 20 units
Metformin 1000 mg 2xday
Lisinipril w HCTZ 20/12.5 mg
Lasix 40 mg 2x day
Potassium CHL ER 20 MEQ
Levothyroxine 112 mg/day
April 1, 2010, A1c: 7.9 (diagnosis)
June 17, 2010, A1c: 6.1 (c peptide 3.4, bgl 91)
August 5, 2010, A1c: 5.8
February, 2011, A1c: 5.6
August 24, 2011, A1c: 5.3 (c peptide 0.8, bgl 75)
February 17, 2012, A1c: 5.0
jojeti is offline  
Old 04-05-2012, 21:50   #8
Moderator
 
silvertiger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Saskatchewan, Canada
Posts: 3,321

Member Type
Type Pre
Diagnosed in 2011

3476 likes received
3988 likes given
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by beefy View Post
Secondly, I have learned to view food mostly as fuel - whereas before my Dx I often viewed it as a source of entertainment. Because I now look at it as fuel, I don't mind eating the same thing repeatedly for breakfast, or eating something boring, or eating when I don't necessarily WANT to, etc. I still get "fun" meals at times, and I still eat out with family/friends etc., but I do so with a view more to making that food the perfect fuel for my body rather than an entertaining experience. I let the friends/family be the entertainment rather than the food...
I find this is a major change for me as well, and I noticed it after a few months. Without those carb cravings, I can look at what food is available and I usually feel like eating anything I have. There were times when my body would crave carbs and no matter how many healthy veggies I had around, they would taste like ashes to me. Now I look at veggies and think "num!", especially when I can eat them with butter without guilt.

jojeti likes this.
__________________

View silvertiger's full Diabetes Forum profile here.
silvertiger is offline  
Old 04-06-2012, 00:49   #9
Senior Member
 
Daytona's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 1,886

Member Type
Type 2
Diagnosed in 2010

2137 likes received
2284 likes given
Default

Hmm I have never had a problem of being unable to get enough calories in when I'm truly eating high fat and being honest about my portions.

If I let myself I could easily eat 1/2 stick a butter a day, I put it on just about everything from eggs, to steak to brisket and I won't get a veggie without it. Add in heavy cream (eggs, eating whipped cream straight, home made chocolates, etc) and coconut oil and yeah the calories add up fast!

Beyond that, my favorite foods are fatty cuts of meat. So a reasonable portion of ribeye, ribs or pork chops can easily be 400 - 600 calories. If I'm feeling frisky I'll eat a big old steak and that could clock in at 1200 calories.

But then again I have never been the type of person who can bashfully admit that they just can't seem to eat as much as everyone else!

__________________
Diagnosed 12/2010 @ 10.7
Latest A1C 2/2014 @ 5.3
31 years old
www.sweetgeek.net
Daytona is offline  
Old 04-06-2012, 07:08   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Phoenix AZ, US
Posts: 267

Member Type
Type 2
Diagnosed in 2011

311 likes received
225 likes given
Default

I'm right there with beefy. I eat at least 6 times a day and I eat with purpose rather than passion. I have plenty of passions and my bg is more predictable that way. I am currently on a mission to gain weight so I take in around 3000 calories just in my snacks. Probably more. I haven't really put it all together but I would guess I am pushing 5000+ calories a day.

Funny thing is that I get tremendously hungry at times. I used to find myself forcing food down to make that 5000 calorie mark but now I can eat more if I want. I sometimes wake in the middle of the night and eat a couple chunks of cheese or some nuts to keep the hunger at bay.

__________________
“Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you.”
― Jeremy Clarkson

It's better to go into a corner slow and come out fast than it is to go into a corner fast and come out dead. - Sir Sterling Moss
rudeboysti is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bacon calories Zuko Diabetes Diet and Nutrition 20 02-24-2012 09:51
And now a study at 500 calories a day lia Diabetes Forum Lounge 3 12-04-2011 05:42
Calories traughber Diabetes Diet and Nutrition 22 05-07-2011 16:40
calories and carbohydrates lil'bit Diabetes Diet and Nutrition 8 11-10-2010 06:46
Very Low Calories Diet Navygurl Diabetes Diet and Nutrition 3 10-12-2010 02:48

LEGAL NOTICE
By using this Website, you agree to abide by our Terms and Conditions (the "Terms"). This notice does not replace our Terms, which you must read in full as they contain important information. You must not post any defamatory, unlawful or undesirable content, or any content copied from a third party, on the Website. You must not copy material from the Website except in accordance with the Terms. This Website gives users an opportunity to share information only and is not intended to contain any advice which you should rely upon. It does not replace the need to take professional or other advice. We have no liability to you or any other person in respect of any content on this Website.


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 07:57.




Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO