Control Solution For Glucose Meters - Page 2

Go Back   The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online > Diabetes Forum Community > Diabetes Treatment > Diabetes Medication and Supplies

Diabetes Medication and Supplies Discuss diabetes medication and diabetes supplies here. Talk about experiences you have with certain medication and diabetes supplies, or with certain diabetes supply stores or manufacturers.


Like Tree1Likes

Control Solution For Glucose Meters - Page 2


Closed Thread
 
Shared Thread Thread Tools
Old 04-13-2010, 01:14   #11
Junior Member
 
onaughmae's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Texas, USA
Posts: 1,590

Member Type
Type 2
Diagnosed in 1981

43 likes received
1 likes given
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breeze 2 User View Post
Just checked my Bayer HealthCare control solution (lot #9S2D08) that came "free" with my Breeze 2 meter kit. The expiration date is 07/2011.

So what gives? Why is it mine came free and has a 18 month expiration.. while yours is only 30 days?

Inquiring minds want to know?

Breeze 2 User
Control solutions are really only good 90 days once they are opened. Look on your bottle...the expiration date says "unopened expiration date". Somewhere on the bottle it should say its good for three months once opened.

__________________
Cheers,
Pam
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Type 2 since age 16
A1c in March 2010 12.6%
current A1c 6.3%

Currently taking:

Metformin 1000mg twice a day
Neurontin 300mg three times a day
Cymbalta 30mg a day
Symlin injections 60 mcg before meals
pumping with the minimed Revel and novalog
Milk Thistle twice a day
Fish oil twice a day
Nexium once a day
onaughmae is offline  
Old 04-13-2010, 01:49   #12
Senior Member
 
jsntay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Alabama, USA
Posts: 148


1 likes received
Send a message via MSN to jsntay
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breeze 2 User View Post
Just checked my Bayer HealthCare control solution (lot #9S2D08) that came "free" with my Breeze 2 meter kit. The expiration date is 07/2011.

So what gives? Why is it mine came free and has a 18 month expiration.. while yours is only 30 days?

Inquiring minds want to know?

Breeze 2 User
I am sorry, re-read the instructions, the bottle does have an expiration date of 2011 but says its good for 90 days after the bottle has been opened.

jsntay is offline  
Old 04-13-2010, 17:46   #13
Breeze 2 User
Guest
 
Posts: n/a


Default Bottle Label Says..

Quote:
Originally Posted by onaughmae View Post
Control solutions are really only good 90 days once they are opened. Look on your bottle...the expiration date says "unopened expiration date". Somewhere on the bottle it should say its good for three months once opened.
Here's the following information that's written on the bottle label, ie:

Bayer Breeze2 Control Solution

Normal

For in vitro diagnostic use

1489A
81007188

1489AB
81007226

2.5ml

-------------------------------

Made in U.S.A. LBL6360

Mfg. for: R03/08

Bayer HealthCare LLC

Mishawaka, IN 46544

LOT: 9S2D08

EXP: 2011-07

The small plastic bottle is white in color and has the number 58 on the bottom. It also has a blue plastic cap.

As I said previously.. the only indication I can find as to expiration date is what I wrote above.

I just looked in the 104 page user guide and on page #48 it states the following, ie:

Replacement Products

Number Product Name
1489A Breeze2 Normal Control Solution
1490A Breeze2 Low Control Solution
1491A Breeze2 High Control Solution

In addition, pages #22 through #25 instructs one on how to run a control test using the supplied "Control Solution". Nowhere in the instruction manual does is state or say anything about the control solution being only good for 90 days.. if opened or otherwise.

I guess I'll contact Bayer to see what they say about it.. and then let y'all know of their reply.

Thanks "onaughmae" for your reply to my post.

Breeze 2 User

 
Old 04-13-2010, 19:21   #14
Junior Member
 
onaughmae's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Texas, USA
Posts: 1,590

Member Type
Type 2
Diagnosed in 1981

43 likes received
1 likes given
Default

Yes, I would check. Any control solution I have ever used was good for 90 days once opened. Even for the glucometers we use at work. Everytime we open one we write the date on the bottle that it will expire 90 days from then. I do the same for mine at home. Mine at home is by One Touch...the ones we use at work are Accucheck. I cant see why it wouldnt be the same for all brands though.

__________________
Cheers,
Pam
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Type 2 since age 16
A1c in March 2010 12.6%
current A1c 6.3%

Currently taking:

Metformin 1000mg twice a day
Neurontin 300mg three times a day
Cymbalta 30mg a day
Symlin injections 60 mcg before meals
pumping with the minimed Revel and novalog
Milk Thistle twice a day
Fish oil twice a day
Nexium once a day
onaughmae is offline  
Old 04-14-2010, 02:19   #15
Junior Member
 
breezeonby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Ohio, USA
Posts: 2,771

Member Type
Type 2
Diagnosed in 2000

44 likes received
6 likes given
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breeze 2 User View Post
Here's the following information that's written on the bottle label, ie:

Bayer Breeze2 Control Solution

Normal

For in vitro diagnostic use

1489A
81007188

1489AB
81007226

2.5ml

-------------------------------

Made in U.S.A. LBL6360

Mfg. for: R03/08

Bayer HealthCare LLC

Mishawaka, IN 46544

LOT: 9S2D08

EXP: 2011-07

The small plastic bottle is white in color and has the number 58 on the bottom. It also has a blue plastic cap.

As I said previously.. the only indication I can find as to expiration date is what I wrote above.

I just looked in the 104 page user guide and on page #48 it states the following, ie:

Replacement Products

Number Product Name
1489A Breeze2 Normal Control Solution
1490A Breeze2 Low Control Solution
1491A Breeze2 High Control Solution

In addition, pages #22 through #25 instructs one on how to run a control test using the supplied "Control Solution". Nowhere in the instruction manual does is state or say anything about the control solution being only good for 90 days.. if opened or otherwise.

I guess I'll contact Bayer to see what they say about it.. and then let y'all know of their reply.

Thanks "onaughmae" for your reply to my post.

Breeze 2 User
I am currently using the Bayer Breeze 2 meter and the information that you provided on the meter is correct. There is nothing on the bottle of control solution stating that it expires 90 days from date opened, they provide a small line to write on the date opened. The instruction book does not provide any information about the control solution expiring 90 days after opening. Pages 22 & 23 of the instruction book only explains how to run a control solution test. All of the control solutions that I have used do expire 90 days after it is opened. I guess that some manufacturer's think that everyone knows this information. Please let us know what Bayer has to say, I am interested. I always have to keep extra control solution on hand because it only lasts 90 days. I have never known a person who used the entire bottle of control solution. I do a control solution test when I open a new box of test strips but not for each disk, kind of a waste. But what can you do?

__________________
Breezeonby {Female}
Medications: Metformin ER, Lantus, Novolog
Zofran for Gastroparesis
Gabapentin-Neuropathy
Zocor 40MG, Fish Oil 4000MG
A1C/5.2% April 14, 2010
A1C/5.5% June 1, 2010
A1C/5.2% October 6, 2010
A1C/5.0% February 7, 2011
breezeonby is offline  
Old 04-14-2010, 04:27   #16
Senior Member
 
jsntay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Alabama, USA
Posts: 148


1 likes received
Send a message via MSN to jsntay
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsntay View Post
I haven't checked my meter with a control solution in some time. I used to follow the directions and used it when I got a new meter and/or opened up a new vial of strips. Control solutions are expensive considering they are only good for 30 days after you open the bottle. Maybe they could sell them cheaper if they made the bottles smaller. I mean, has anyone out there used an entire bottle of control solution before it expired?? And, yes alot of pharmacies these days dont even carry them in stock and have to order it for you. Just a few yrs ago, a bottle was always included in the box of a new meter, but not the one I just picked up on sale.

If I get a crazy reading and suspect the meter or strips accuracy, I am more likely to re-check with my backup meter of the same brand than to use up a strip performing a control test.



Onaughmae, you are so right and fortunate for the coverage. I just have to share my situation. At one time and before the diagnosis, I had a good individual plan that covered strips and lancets under "one" co-pay. I got a new job and had to switch to that plan which charged me a co-pay for strips and TRIED to charge me a copay for lancets before I told them thanks but no thanks, but I would just buy my lancets off the shelf because 12.00 off the shelf was alot cheaper than the 40.00 prescription co-pay!! LOL.
On second thought, I just ordered control solution for my aviva. 12.00 every 3 months isn't bad to be more safe than sorry. Actually, for 12.00 I am getting 2 vials (level 1 and 2) which is like 6 months worth unless I open and use both vials. Wonder why they have the different levels?

jsntay is offline  
Old 04-14-2010, 06:22   #17
Junior Member
 
breezeonby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Ohio, USA
Posts: 2,771

Member Type
Type 2
Diagnosed in 2000

44 likes received
6 likes given
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsntay View Post
On second thought, I just ordered control solution for my aviva. 12.00 every 3 months isn't bad to be more safe than sorry. Actually, for 12.00 I am getting 2 vials (level 1 and 2) which is like 6 months worth unless I open and use both vials. Wonder why they have the different levels?
The different levels was a mystery to me for a few months. Then I found out that the levels are good if your test readings fall within a certain range most of the time.There is more glucose concentration in each level of control solution. For most diabetics this is not always predictable, since you may get a reading that falls out of your usual range. Just a reminder, if you buy the low level control solution, make sure that you follow the control level range for low level. I usually buy the normal range since most of my readings are within the normal range. And you are right, $6.00 every 3 months is a small price to pay for peace of mind.

__________________
Breezeonby {Female}
Medications: Metformin ER, Lantus, Novolog
Zofran for Gastroparesis
Gabapentin-Neuropathy
Zocor 40MG, Fish Oil 4000MG
A1C/5.2% April 14, 2010
A1C/5.5% June 1, 2010
A1C/5.2% October 6, 2010
A1C/5.0% February 7, 2011
breezeonby is offline  
Old 04-18-2010, 04:44   #18
Senior Member
 
jsntay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Alabama, USA
Posts: 148


1 likes received
Send a message via MSN to jsntay
Default

Happy to say my control solutions came in the mail today and the control test passed


Last edited by jsntay; 04-18-2010 at 05:07.
jsntay is offline  
Old 11-24-2010, 09:57   #19
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: tennessee us
Posts: 2


Default

Where do I purchase the Breeze 2 control solutions?
Thanks

tnvol is offline  
Old 11-24-2010, 20:19   #20
Bountyman
Guest
 
Posts: n/a


Default

I don't think Bayer sells direct to consumers. You can ask your pharmacy if they stock it, or they can order it; Amazon.com sells it and I wouldn't be surprised if you could buy it on eBay. If you do buy it online make sure they include when it expires.

 
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Free Glucose Meters searchwiser Diabetes 1 12-02-2009 01:14
Forum like this can find solution to diabetes olajideomoniyi5 Diabetes Treatment 0 03-13-2009 20:37
Consumer Reports/ Glucose Meters Richard157 Diabetes Treatment 1 01-03-2009 21:38
Normal evening glucose, high fasting glucose Dusper Diabetes 1 11-22-2008 15:13
inaccurate glucose meters tatanka Diabetes Medication and Supplies 12 09-21-2007 14:38

LEGAL NOTICE
By using this Website, you agree to abide by our Terms and Conditions (the "Terms"). This notice does not replace our Terms, which you must read in full as they contain important information. You must not post any defamatory, unlawful or undesirable content, or any content copied from a third party, on the Website. You must not copy material from the Website except in accordance with the Terms. This Website gives users an opportunity to share information only and is not intended to contain any advice which you should rely upon. It does not replace the need to take professional or other advice. We have no liability to you or any other person in respect of any content on this Website.


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 05:30.




Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO