Timeframe to Lower BG

Go Back   The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online > Diabetes Forum Start Here > Introduce Yourself


Introduce Yourself Please start by introducing yourself to the rest of our community. We would be grateful if you could tell us a little bit about yourself and your experiences with Diabetes. The main aim of our community is to share experiences, knowledge and help increase the understanding and awareness of Diabetes. The introductions forum is a great place to start with the community. ■ RulesGetting Started With DiabetesForum.com


Like Tree7Likes

Timeframe to Lower BG


Reply
 
Shared Thread Thread Tools
Old 05-16-2017, 18:15   #1
Active Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: TX
Posts: 33

Member Type
Type 2
Diagnosed in 2017

15 likes received
35 likes given
Default Timeframe to Lower BG

Since I'm new to diabetes (diagnosed last week), I was wondering if there is a timeframe for the sugar levels to go down. I don't know how to explain this, but I'll try.

Yesterday, I ate some crumbled hamburger meat with onion, garlic, and green peppers. I seasoned with salt/pepper. I added about 1/4 cup of unsalted tomato sauce and about 1/2 water. I also ate about 4 slices of avocados. Two hours later my BG was 143.

Since y'all say to eat to the meter or something like that, does that mean that I cannot eat that particular meal anymore or is it just going to take time for my BG to lower?

Thank you so much for all your help.

Peace and Love!

alamogirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 18:19   #2
Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: USA
Posts: 429

Member Type
Type 2
Diagnosed in 2016

368 likes received
158 likes given
Default

what was it before you ate? you need that too...

if it was 143 before you ate and its 143 2 hours after, then you are fine.

If you were 90 before you ate and 2 hours after it was 143, then you need to carefully think about all the items and remove 1 at a time to see if it helps.

nothing in that meal looks like it would hurt you so I would like to know what you started with right before you ate

__________________
Here are some good starting points to read

Blood Sugar 101 - VERY informative and accurate
http://www.diabetesforum.com/diabete...ng-method.html a tried and true testing method
https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb lists foods for LCHF
hftmrock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 19:06   #3
Active Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: TX
Posts: 33

Member Type
Type 2
Diagnosed in 2017

15 likes received
35 likes given
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hftmrock View Post
what was it before you ate? you need that too...

if it was 143 before you ate and its 143 2 hours after, then you are fine.

If you were 90 before you ate and 2 hours after it was 143, then you need to carefully think about all the items and remove 1 at a time to see if it helps.

nothing in that meal looks like it would hurt you so I would like to know what you started with right before you ate
Daggum...I didn't check before I ate. Ok, I'll make sure to do that next time. I'm glad I asked the question .

Actually, I'm eating leftovers today, so I'll be eating the same thing today. I'm going to check my level before I eat, and then 2 hrs afterward. But will the numbers eventually go down?

According to that awesome video that you and others have recommended that newbies watch, the doc spoke about a woman who was told that she was going to stay sick. I believe the doc said that after 4 months, the woman's numbers went down.

That's why I was wondering if there was a timeframe for your body to adjust to the lifestyle change of no white carbs.

Thank you so much for replying.

alamogirl is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Old 05-16-2017, 19:13   #4
Moderator
 
VeeJay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Midwest USA
Posts: 7,830

Member Type
Type 2
Diagnosed in 2010

10903 likes received
3708 likes given
Default

Could be the tomato sauce. I wouldn't be able to eat 1/4 cup of it - maybe 2Tbs. (This is real bummer for me 'cause I like it a lot.)

Are you looking up and adding up the grams of carbs of each item you eat? If you know that, say, 15g carbs at one meal is okay (assuming your BG wasn't elevated before you ate), but 20-25 is not good, then you have a basis to make some changes to meals before you eat them.

As hftmrock mentinoed, you really need to know what your BG is before you eat. I know, its a lot of testing, but that's the only way you can find out what's going on and eventually learn what works for you.

alamogirl likes this.
__________________
70 yrs. Dx May 2010
Diet controlled: VLC/HF
BG steady with no highs or lows.
A1C in the 5% range.
____________________________________
Gluten intolerant, sensitive to dairy & eggs.
Eat no grains
VeeJay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 21:17   #5
Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: USA
Posts: 429

Member Type
Type 2
Diagnosed in 2016

368 likes received
158 likes given
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by alamogirl View Post
Daggum...I didn't check before I ate. Ok, I'll make sure to do that next time. I'm glad I asked the question .

Actually, I'm eating leftovers today, so I'll be eating the same thing today. I'm going to check my level before I eat, and then 2 hrs afterward. But will the numbers eventually go down?

According to that awesome video that you and others have recommended that newbies watch, the doc spoke about a woman who was told that she was going to stay sick. I believe the doc said that after 4 months, the woman's numbers went down.

That's why I was wondering if there was a timeframe for your body to adjust to the lifestyle change of no white carbs.

Thank you so much for replying.
first... I think each person is different. I went from 396 - 75 in 5 weeks. I was FULL keto with less than 30g of carbs per day


AND I think you should expand on 'white carbs'

NO carbs are good carbs... (mostly)... what do you mean by 'white carbs'... Im not prejudiced... all colors of carbs are bad to me

__________________
Here are some good starting points to read

Blood Sugar 101 - VERY informative and accurate
http://www.diabetesforum.com/diabete...ng-method.html a tried and true testing method
https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb lists foods for LCHF
hftmrock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 01:13   #6
Active Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: TX
Posts: 33

Member Type
Type 2
Diagnosed in 2017

15 likes received
35 likes given
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hftmrock View Post
first... I think each person is different. I went from 396 - 75 in 5 weeks. I was FULL keto with less than 30g of carbs per day


AND I think you should expand on 'white carbs'

NO carbs are good carbs... (mostly)... what do you mean by 'white carbs'... Im not prejudiced... all colors of carbs are bad to me
What I mean is bread, potatoes, rice, and pasta. I once read that you are better off putting butter on your baked potato than eating it without. Apparently, the fat will slow down the absorption of the carbs in your bloodstream.

alamogirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 01:41   #7
Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: USA
Posts: 429

Member Type
Type 2
Diagnosed in 2016

368 likes received
158 likes given
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by alamogirl View Post
What I mean is bread, potatoes, rice, and pasta. I once read that you are better off putting butter on your baked potato than eating it without. Apparently, the fat will slow down the absorption of the carbs in your bloodstream.
personally I would rather eat the butter and skip the potato. I cant have the potato. Im carb intolerant (I used to LOVE potatoes...)

be aware there are carbs in other non-white carb stuff...

fruit, whole wheat, oatmeal, brown rice, sweet potato... these are better choices if you have to have carbs but trying to remove these as well can help lower your numbers faster.

__________________
Here are some good starting points to read

Blood Sugar 101 - VERY informative and accurate
http://www.diabetesforum.com/diabete...ng-method.html a tried and true testing method
https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb lists foods for LCHF
hftmrock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 02:34   #8
Active Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: TX
Posts: 33

Member Type
Type 2
Diagnosed in 2017

15 likes received
35 likes given
Default

So I took my BG before dinner and it was 119. I took it 2 hrs later, and it was 139!

The only thing I did differently was yesterday, I ate 1/2 an avocado, but today, I ate a whole one.

alamogirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 02:37   #9
Active Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: TX
Posts: 33

Member Type
Type 2
Diagnosed in 2017

15 likes received
35 likes given
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by alamogirl View Post
So I took my BG before dinner and it was 119. I took it 2 hrs later, and it was 139!

The only thing I did differently was yesterday, I ate 1/2 an avocado, but today, I ate a whole one.
I forgot to add that I ate leftovers from yesterday: crumbled hamburger meat with onions, garlic, and green peppers.

Is there an edit button?

alamogirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 03:12   #10
Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: USA
Posts: 429

Member Type
Type 2
Diagnosed in 2016

368 likes received
158 likes given
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by alamogirl View Post
I forgot to add that I ate leftovers from yesterday: crumbled hamburger meat with onions, garlic, and green peppers.

Is there an edit button?
we know what you are saying so no worries.

you have about 20g of carbs in that meal. it went up about 20 points. I think 2 hours is a long time and I would be curious as to what it would be at 3 hours. You should test until you see it drop.

but I dont think 119 - 139 is very unusual for 20 grams of carbs. especially if its slow absorbing carbs (not refined sugars)

__________________
Here are some good starting points to read

Blood Sugar 101 - VERY informative and accurate
http://www.diabetesforum.com/diabete...ng-method.html a tried and true testing method
https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb lists foods for LCHF
hftmrock is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Getting Lower devanoff Members Blood Sugar Readings 0 10-26-2014 17:46
Trying to lower my Averages further justinervin85 Diabetes Treatment 3 02-05-2014 21:42
Lower cholesterol?? Eibhilin Diabetes Complications 3 02-07-2013 15:22
lower pp dazed Diabetes 8 11-03-2012 19:13
Easy way to lower BG for T2's! BadThad Diabetes News 7 12-26-2010 16:05

LEGAL NOTICE
By using this Website, you agree to abide by our Terms and Conditions (the "Terms"). This notice does not replace our Terms, which you must read in full as they contain important information. You must not post any defamatory, unlawful or undesirable content, or any content copied from a third party, on the Website. You must not copy material from the Website except in accordance with the Terms. This Website gives users an opportunity to share information only and is not intended to contain any advice which you should rely upon. It does not replace the need to take professional or other advice. We have no liability to you or any other person in respect of any content on this Website.


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 04:33.




Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.