Type 2 with Kidney disease

Go Back   The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online > Diabetes Forum Community > Diabetes Complications

Diabetes Complications Diabetes can cause many short term, long term, acute and chronic complications. Please use this section to discuss any experiences you have with Diabetes related complications. New members please feel free to post about your concerns and ask questions to the community.


Like Tree50Likes

Type 2 with Kidney disease


Closed Thread
 
Shared Thread Thread Tools
Old 01-19-2014, 18:03   #1
Active Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Los Angeles, Ca. USA
Posts: 22

Member Type
Type 2
Diagnosed in 2010

14 likes received
1 likes given
Default Type 2 with Kidney disease

Hi all,

I am type 2 and my recent labs have shown reduced kidney function. Because of this, my doc took me off Metformin (haven't been able to figure out why Metformin is bad for kidneys. Anyone?) and put me on Glipizide. Everything I read about Glipizide seems bad.

So my question is, assuming that I get my diet fixed and start to exercise but still need a med what is my best alternative to Glipizide?

Thx in advance.

Dodie37737 likes this.
Morton is offline  
Old 01-19-2014, 18:35   #2
Moderator
 
VeeJay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Midwest USA
Posts: 9,374

Member Type
Type 2
Diagnosed in 2010

11948 likes received
4414 likes given
Default

If it were me, I'd go straight to insulin. Effective without side effects.

Shanny, Tamagno, Petra and 1 others like this.
__________________
My low-carb recipe collection on Pinterest
https://www.pinterest.com/VRStudio1/...light-recipes/
70 yrs. Dx May 2010
Diet controlled: VLC/HF
BG steady with no highs or lows.
A1C in the 5% range.
____________________________________
Gluten intolerant, sensitive to dairy & eggs.
Eat no grains
VeeJay is offline  
Old 01-19-2014, 18:48   #3
Inactive Member
 
David Burke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 5,318

Member Type
Type Undiagnosed
Diagnosed in None

5321 likes received
Default

What's your diet currently like? Is there any room for improvement?

Glip means insulin later. I would personally never take a med that stimulates a damaged organ as glip does with the pancreas. Never gonna be on my list

Sent from my iPhone

Shanny, Tamagno, Petra and 2 others like this.
David Burke is offline  
 
Old 01-19-2014, 19:25   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 24,394

Member Type
Type 2
Diagnosed in 2009

23929 likes received
32255 likes given
Default

My understanding has always been that people with compromised kidneys shouldn't take metformin. Never seen anything that says met CAUSES kidney disease.

I've been on met for five years & my own GFR had been in the mid-40s for some time. Then suddenly - last tests I had - it's almost up to scratch at 55! Don't look at me - I didn't do anything different -




Tamagno and Dodie37737 like this.
Shanny is offline  
Old 01-19-2014, 19:51   #5
Active Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Los Angeles, Ca. USA
Posts: 22

Member Type
Type 2
Diagnosed in 2010

14 likes received
1 likes given
Default

Plenty of room for improvement which I'm trying to do right now. But I'm concerned with the time period between now and when I start to see the results of diet improvement and the time period after if I still need some type of med to keep my BS down.


Quote:
Originally Posted by David Burke View Post
What's your diet currently like? Is there any room for improvement?

Glip means insulin later. I would personally never take a med that stimulates a damaged organ as glip does with the pancreas. Never gonna be on my list

Sent from my iPhone

Dodie37737 likes this.
Morton is offline  
Old 01-19-2014, 20:01   #6
Active Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Los Angeles, Ca. USA
Posts: 22

Member Type
Type 2
Diagnosed in 2010

14 likes received
1 likes given
Default

If you were in the mid 40s then I believe technically you were in state 3 of CKD. And even mid 50s is borderline. Did your doc ever talk to you about moving off Metformin?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanny View Post
My understanding has always been that people with compromised kidneys shouldn't take metformin. Never seen anything that says met CAUSES kidney disease.

I've been on met for five years & my own GFR had been in the mid-40s for some time. Then suddenly - last tests I had - it's almost up to scratch at 55! Don't look at me - I didn't do anything different -

Dodie37737 likes this.
Morton is offline  
Old 01-19-2014, 20:25   #7
Senior Member
 
Mary,'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: USA
Posts: 6,071

Member Type
Type 2
Diagnosed in 2013

5574 likes received
5676 likes given
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morton View Post
Plenty of room for improvement which I'm trying to do right now. But I'm concerned with the time period between now and when I start to see the results of diet improvement
What's your carb intake? If you begin to cut carbs, you will start seeing improvement now. There will be no delay. How many carbs are you eating per day?

__________________

View Mary0110's full Diabetes Forum profile here.
Mary, is offline  
Old 01-19-2014, 21:02   #8
Active Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Los Angeles, Ca. USA
Posts: 22

Member Type
Type 2
Diagnosed in 2010

14 likes received
1 likes given
Default

Don't know for sure. Probablly alot. But as of yesterday, I'm trying LC/HF. This morning my fasting BS was 157 and after one hour from an egg beaters and turkey bacon breakfast it was still at 157. Took my 5 mg glipizide and went on a 35 min bike ride. BS is now 138.

If you're saying I can get under 140 in 1-2 weeks just on a LC/HF diet then I'd be an HC (happy camper) and try to get off the glipizide.

However, maybe another topic but I'm concerned about LC/HF because the only ways I'm coming up with doing that is with HP which because of my kidneys gives me concern. Ideally, I guess I need a LC/LP diet. But what foods have that attribute?? I bought an Atkins book for my Kindle so I'll try to read that today around football.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary0110 View Post
What's your carb intake? If you begin to cut carbs, you will start seeing improvement now. There will be no delay. How many carbs are you eating per day?

Morton is offline  
Old 01-19-2014, 21:04   #9
Senior Member
 
gfaith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: New Mexico USA
Posts: 870

Member Type
Type 2
Diagnosed in 2013

657 likes received
889 likes given
Default

Welcome Morton,

I am stage 3 - CKD and recently diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes with 12.7 A1c and about 350 BG on diagnosis day ( sick puppy) . My doctors all agreed that going straight to insulin was best choice for me. So since Dec 20
I have been taking Lantus basal insulin worked up from 20 units a day to 60 units. Now, I am cutting back to 50 units per day (2 injections-25 units-6:00 AM & PM) . I am on the LCHF maybe even VLCHF and it is working well for me. It appears I still get some natural insulin when I eat as I rarely get above BG 140 one hour after meals. So far no bolus insulin needed here and I would like to keep it that way.

I am also losing a small amount of weight as well about 1 lb per week which is just fine with me.

Do not get confused between HF and HP (High Protein) we cut carbs and increase healthy fats leaving protein as recommended for muscle and body repair. Two links you need to read.

LCHF for Beginners | DietDoctor.com

Blood Sugar 101

Tamagno, Freya and Msfranxie like this.
__________________
"Diabetic Diver"

View gfaith's full Diabetes Forum profile here.

Last edited by gfaith; 01-19-2014 at 21:12. Reason: added more diet stuff
gfaith is offline  
Old 01-19-2014, 21:09   #10
Active Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Los Angeles, Ca. USA
Posts: 22

Member Type
Type 2
Diagnosed in 2010

14 likes received
1 likes given
Default

Thanks for the info, gfaith.

If you were only recently diagnosed with Type 2 do you know what caused the CKD? Also, what is your was your weight before you started LC/HF and what is it now?



Quote:
Originally Posted by gfaith View Post
Welcome Morton,

I am stage 3 - CKD and recently diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes with 12.7 A1c and about 350 BG on diagnosis day ( sick puppy) . My doctors all agreed that going straight to insulin was best choice for me. So since Dec 20
I have been taking Lantus basal insulin worked up from 20 units a day to 60 units. Now, I am cutting back to 50 units per day (2 injections-25 units-6:00 AM & PM) . I am on the LCHF maybe even VLCHF and it is working well for me. It appears I still get some natural insulin when I eat as I rarely get above BG 140 one hour after meals. So far no bolus insulin needed here and I would like to keep it that way.

I am also losing a small amount of weight as well about 1 lb per week which is just fine with me.

Morton is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Calcium linked to increased heart disease and death in patients with kidney disease kantim Diabetes Complications 5 09-08-2013 22:04
Risk of kidney disease doubled with use of fluoroquinolone antibiotics kantim Diabetes Complications 0 06-04-2013 12:24
Type 1 diabetes may be linked to infectious disease burden kantim Diabetes News 0 03-19-2013 13:14
Vitamin D and Mortality in Chronic Kidney Disease kantim Diabetes Complications 0 03-16-2013 13:03
2) Early Clues to Diabetic Kidney Disease May Be Provided By Uric Acid In The Blood george jacob Diabetes News 0 03-20-2008 08:45

LEGAL NOTICE
By using this Website, you agree to abide by our Terms and Conditions (the "Terms"). This notice does not replace our Terms, which you must read in full as they contain important information. You must not post any defamatory, unlawful or undesirable content, or any content copied from a third party, on the Website. You must not copy material from the Website except in accordance with the Terms. This Website gives users an opportunity to share information only and is not intended to contain any advice which you should rely upon. It does not replace the need to take professional or other advice. We have no liability to you or any other person in respect of any content on this Website.


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 14:26.




Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.