Thoughts of suicide - Page 2

Go Back   The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online > Diabetes Forum Community > Diabetes Complications

Diabetes Complications Diabetes can cause many short term, long term, acute and chronic complications. Please use this section to discuss any experiences you have with Diabetes related complications. New members please feel free to post about your concerns and ask questions to the community.


Thoughts of suicide - Page 2


Closed Thread
 
Shared Thread Thread Tools
Old 01-10-2011, 05:28   #11
Active Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 7


Default

I just want to say thank you for all of the input and support so far. We're trying several things and haven't had any luck yet. I really appreciate all of the ideas and suggestions, though. I know the answer is out there, we just can't give up hope. I'll let you know any progress that we make in the hopes that it can help anyone else out there is suffering similarly. He does have another appointment coming up soon with a new specialist, so fingers crossed. And I'm still researching some of the things that have been mentioned here, so again, thank you so much.

Baggage is offline  
Old 01-10-2011, 05:53   #12
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 24,394

Member Type
Type 2
Diagnosed in 2009

23930 likes received
32255 likes given
Default

Thanks so much for the update . . . we're pulling for you both.




Shanny is offline  
Old 01-10-2011, 09:52   #13
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Washington, USA
Posts: 221

Member Type
Type 1
Diagnosed in 2003

71 likes received
16 likes given
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baggage View Post
I just want to say thank you for all of the input and support so far. We're trying several things and haven't had any luck yet. I really appreciate all of the ideas and suggestions, though. I know the answer is out there, we just can't give up hope. I'll let you know any progress that we make in the hopes that it can help anyone else out there is suffering similarly. He does have another appointment coming up soon with a new specialist, so fingers crossed. And I'm still researching some of the things that have been mentioned here, so again, thank you so much.
I was also thinking of something but need some information. What were your boyfriend's blood sugars at diagnosis and how fast did they come down to within range of normal limits. I was reading here on another thread about insulin neuritis which can happen when one's blood sugars are lowered too fast after diagnosis. From what I gather the treatment is the same as for neuropathy and it can be confused with neuropathy as the symptoms are pretty much similar. I understand how frustrated your boyfriend must be. Tell him to hang in there. We do understand.

deafmack is offline  
 
Old 01-11-2011, 00:33   #14
Active Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 7


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by deafmack View Post
I was also thinking of something but need some information. What were your boyfriend's blood sugars at diagnosis and how fast did they come down to within range of normal limits. I was reading here on another thread about insulin neuritis which can happen when one's blood sugars are lowered too fast after diagnosis. From what I gather the treatment is the same as for neuropathy and it can be confused with neuropathy as the symptoms are pretty much similar. I understand how frustrated your boyfriend must be. Tell him to hang in there. We do understand.
Wow...that's a question that has not come up before. His blood sugars were over 500 when we went in, but came down very fast. He now generally stays between 75 (low, I know, I think his body is really struggling to maintain itself at this point) and 130. Most often 100-120, though. I will definitely look into that - no-one else has mentioned such a possibility before. Thank you!

Baggage is offline  
Old 01-11-2011, 03:16   #15
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Washington, USA
Posts: 221

Member Type
Type 1
Diagnosed in 2003

71 likes received
16 likes given
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baggage View Post
Wow...that's a question that has not come up before. His blood sugars were over 500 when we went in, but came down very fast. He now generally stays between 75 (low, I know, I think his body is really struggling to maintain itself at this point) and 130. Most often 100-120, though. I will definitely look into that - no-one else has mentioned such a possibility before. Thank you!
It really is beginning to sound like insulin neuritis.
I think the treatment is the same though, but I will do some more research. If you don't mind I can ask on some of the other boards if anyone is familiar with it and if so what has helped with them. I will not mention your post here. Just let me know if that is okay

deafmack is offline  
Old 01-11-2011, 05:59   #16
Active Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 7


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by deafmack View Post
It really is beginning to sound like insulin neuritis.
I think the treatment is the same though, but I will do some more research. If you don't mind I can ask on some of the other boards if anyone is familiar with it and if so what has helped with them. I will not mention your post here. Just let me know if that is okay
*Any* help would be greatly appreciated!

Baggage is offline  
Old 01-12-2011, 15:33   #17
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Syracuse, New York, USA
Posts: 213


5 likes received
Default

Baggage, thoughts of suicide, even the wish to die, are not uncommon when someone gets discouraged with a major problem. Unremitting pain is certainly a MAJOR problem. A danger signal would be if he has a plan for suicide. Have a serious talk with him about that and certainly let his physician(s) know what he is thinking.

__________________
Sharon

Dx Type 2 September, 2010.
No meds
Current diet plan: Plant-based, as recommended by Dr. John McDougall, Dr. Joel Fuhrman, Dr. Caldwell Esselstyn, Dr. Dean Ornish, Dr. Neal Barnard
Checochinican is offline  
Old 01-14-2011, 08:09   #18
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: France
Posts: 19


Default

Hi, thats what I was like on Levemir, hands, shoulder, knee, back, all points of previous injury.
Stopping the levemir or the Lilly eqivalent meant the pain reduced.
What insulin is he on?

rinfrance is offline  
Old 01-19-2011, 05:44   #19
Active Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 7


Default

Quick update...another doctor's visit, but still no answers. After doing more research, I think insulin neuritis really may be what we're dealing with, but this podiatrist had never even heard of it. A neurologist is next on the list. The problem is, and I can't understand it, that his situation is still deteriorating. It's moved into his hands and is starting to go up his forearms now. His blood sugars are consistently right around 100, so I don't understand why it's still getting worse after four months. He's feeling so low and hopeless, I can't stand it. And I can't blame him for despair, because I know the body just doesn't have the reserves to function rationally when it is fighting constant pain and getting no sleep.
The podiatrist did give him Ambien and Lyrica instead of the gabapentin. The switch to Lyrica has left him with no relief from the pain at all while he waits for the Lyrica to build up in his system. And the Ambien gives him 2-3 hours of sleep, versus 0-1, so that's some progress. I really, really hope this neurologist has some answers or at least is willing to take enough of an interest to find some.
Thanks again to everyone for their support. As soon as anything works, I'll let you know in case it can help someone else.

Baggage is offline  
Old 01-19-2011, 05:56   #20
Active Member
 
breezeonby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Ohio, USA
Posts: 2,771

Member Type
Type 2
Diagnosed in 2000

55 likes received
6 likes given
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baggage View Post
Quick update...another doctor's visit, but still no answers. After doing more research, I think insulin neuritis really may be what we're dealing with, but this podiatrist had never even heard of it. A neurologist is next on the list. The problem is, and I can't understand it, that his situation is still deteriorating. It's moved into his hands and is starting to go up his forearms now. His blood sugars are consistently right around 100, so I don't understand why it's still getting worse after four months. He's feeling so low and hopeless, I can't stand it. And I can't blame him for despair, because I know the body just doesn't have the reserves to function rationally when it is fighting constant pain and getting no sleep.
The podiatrist did give him Ambien and Lyrica instead of the gabapentin. The switch to Lyrica has left him with no relief from the pain at all while he waits for the Lyrica to build up in his system. And the Ambien gives him 2-3 hours of sleep, versus 0-1, so that's some progress. I really, really hope this neurologist has some answers or at least is willing to take enough of an interest to find some.
Thanks again to everyone for their support. As soon as anything works, I'll let you know in case it can help someone else.
My blood glucose has been under decent control for about 15 months and I still have neuropathy. Good luck on switching to Lyrica. Ambien is great for sleep for some people but who sleeps through constant pain? Does your friend have a regular doctor? This doctor might be able to try to control the pain with something a little stronger. Thanks for the update.

__________________
Breezeonby {Female}
Medications: Metformin ER, Lantus, Novolog
Zofran for Gastroparesis
Gabapentin-Neuropathy
Zocor 40MG, Fish Oil 4000MG
A1C/5.2% April 14, 2010
A1C/5.5% June 1, 2010
A1C/5.2% October 6, 2010
A1C/5.0% February 7, 2011
breezeonby is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Your meter and thoughts isisagate Diabetes Medication and Supplies 51 01-18-2013 01:34
*A Few Thoughts Concerning Pregnancy* Terrie Gestational Diabetes 6 07-07-2012 02:30
Thoughts on Medical ID Bracelets? ThoseBackPages Diabetes Forum Lounge 5 10-29-2010 16:32
depression/suicide/denial Carey Diabetes 22 05-19-2010 07:01
Artificial Pancreas? Thoughts Finnegan Diabetes Treatment 1 01-14-2010 00:31

LEGAL NOTICE
By using this Website, you agree to abide by our Terms and Conditions (the "Terms"). This notice does not replace our Terms, which you must read in full as they contain important information. You must not post any defamatory, unlawful or undesirable content, or any content copied from a third party, on the Website. You must not copy material from the Website except in accordance with the Terms. This Website gives users an opportunity to share information only and is not intended to contain any advice which you should rely upon. It does not replace the need to take professional or other advice. We have no liability to you or any other person in respect of any content on this Website.


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 04:00.




Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.