Coconut milk chocolates questions

Go Back   The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online > Diabetes Forum Community > Diabetes Diet and Nutrition

Diabetes Diet and Nutrition A healthy, well balanced, nutritious diet which factors in Diabetes can be crucial for the long term management of Diabetes. Use this section to discuss your diet, what you would like to try, swap recipes and more.


Like Tree11Likes
  • 3 Post By Daytona
  • 1 Post By Daytona
  • 3 Post By MCS
  • 1 Post By Daytona
  • 1 Post By Shanny
  • 2 Post By tempest

Coconut milk chocolates questions


Closed Thread
 
Shared Thread Thread Tools
Old 11-13-2012, 14:22   #1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Canada
Posts: 114

Member Type
Type 2
Diagnosed in 2011

20 likes received
123 likes given
Default Coconut milk chocolates questions

Recipe

1 cup (220g) Coconut Oil
1 cup (85g) Cocoa Powder
1 cup (232g) Heavy Cream
300mg Pure Stevia (6 scoops of KAL brand)

KAL brand Stevia - where can I buy this? How big is a scoop? I do have the 1 gram Stevia packets.

How many chocolates does one get from this recipe? I would be using a mini muffin pan


Last edited by autumnleaves; 11-13-2012 at 14:25.
autumnleaves is offline  
Old 11-13-2012, 14:49   #2
Moderator
 
Daytona's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 2,665

Member Type
Type 2
Diagnosed in 2010

3089 likes received
2882 likes given
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by autumnleaves View Post
Recipe

1 cup (220g) Coconut Oil
1 cup (85g) Cocoa Powder
1 cup (232g) Heavy Cream
300mg Pure Stevia (6 scoops of KAL brand)

KAL brand Stevia - where can I buy this? How big is a scoop? I do have the 1 gram Stevia packets.

How many chocolates does one get from this recipe? I would be using a mini muffin pan
Hey that recipe looks familiar! When I use my mini muffin tin, I get 24 chocolates. I have the nutrition info on my recipe page.

You can find KAL Pure Stevia from Amazon. Any brand of powdered stevia with just one ingredient (stevia) should work. Otherwise you can use 20 drops of liquid stevia.

Or if you don't have stevia, you can try using erythritol instead (generic, Swerve, Truvia, etc). The best thing to do would be to powder it first (I run it through my food processor for a bit). Even with powdered though you will need to spend some extra time stirring to encourage the stuff to dissolve. That's why I prefer stevia for this recipe. I can't remember what the ratio of stevia to erythritol is, maybe 1/4 cup?

Regardless of the sweetener you use, I recommend adding 1/2 of the amount, mixing it in and tasting. Make sure to rinse your finger if you just stuck it in the Stevia bottle, the powder sticks to your finger and makes it hard to taste test.

Shanny, autumnleaves and donnaB like this.
__________________
Pumping insulin since 2017
Daytona is offline  
Old 11-13-2012, 16:19   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Canada
Posts: 114

Member Type
Type 2
Diagnosed in 2011

20 likes received
123 likes given
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daytona View Post
Hey that recipe looks familiar! When I use my mini muffin tin, I get 24 chocolates. I have the nutrition info on my recipe page.

You can find KAL Pure Stevia from Amazon. Any brand of powdered stevia with just one ingredient (stevia) should work. Otherwise you can use 20 drops of liquid stevia.

Or if you don't have stevia, you can try using erythritol instead (generic, Swerve, Truvia, etc). The best thing to do would be to powder it first (I run it through my food processor for a bit). Even with powdered though you will need to spend some extra time stirring to encourage the stuff to dissolve. That's why I prefer stevia for this recipe. I can't remember what the ratio of stevia to erythritol is, maybe 1/4 cup?

Regardless of the sweetener you use, I recommend adding 1/2 of the amount, mixing it in and tasting. Make sure to rinse your finger if you just stuck it in the Stevia bottle, the powder sticks to your finger and makes it hard to taste test.
Daytona:

Thank you very much. They would have greatly contributed to your LC/HF diet for sure. The nutrition information is per chocolate I take it. Thanks again.

autumnleaves is offline  
 
Old 11-13-2012, 17:16   #4
Moderator
 
Daytona's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 2,665

Member Type
Type 2
Diagnosed in 2010

3089 likes received
2882 likes given
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by autumnleaves View Post
Daytona:

Thank you very much. They would have greatly contributed to your LC/HF diet for sure. The nutrition information is per chocolate I take it. Thanks again.
Yes, unfortunately I am not very good at eating enough fat without desserts. I rely quite heavily on them to feel satisfied.

I would like to get to a point where I can get all my calories from just my 3 meals and not be constantly thinking about food in-between. It has gotten better now that I am eating more (2,100 calories/day) but most of those cals are coming from dessert. One day I'll figure it out!

autumnleaves likes this.
__________________
Pumping insulin since 2017
Daytona is offline  
Old 11-13-2012, 20:35   #5
MCS
WHAT, I got D
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: HOTSVILLE USA
Posts: 3,849

Member Type
Type 2
Diagnosed in 1565

3991 likes received
5218 likes given
Default

When you make this stuff I found that it helps to only heat it up just enough to keep everything melted and liquid while combining all of the ingredients. I use plastic ice cube trays and lay walnuts, peanuts, pecans in the bottom.

Daytona, autumnleaves and donnaB like this.
__________________
Control is with Diet modification, exercise, supps.
A1C, Dxed 11, 5.6, 4.8, 4.6
MCS is offline  
Old 11-13-2012, 22:13   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Canada
Posts: 114

Member Type
Type 2
Diagnosed in 2011

20 likes received
123 likes given
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCS View Post
When you make this stuff I found that it helps to only heat it up just enough to keep everything melted and liquid while combining all of the ingredients. I use plastic ice cube trays and lay walnuts, peanuts, pecans in the bottom.

MCS;

Nuts are a nice addition for sure.

Do you get 24 ice cube size pieces? Do you use the KAL stevia?

autumnleaves is offline  
Old 11-13-2012, 22:40   #7
Active Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 89

Member Type
Type 1
Diagnosed in 2002

57 likes received
38 likes given
Default

Does the KAL powdered stevia really not have any other ingredients? I was worried maltodextrin would be in there but it's not listed on the website where I looked.

tempest is offline  
Old 11-13-2012, 23:16   #8
Moderator
 
Daytona's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 2,665

Member Type
Type 2
Diagnosed in 2010

3089 likes received
2882 likes given
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tempest View Post
Does the KAL powdered stevia really not have any other ingredients? I was worried maltodextrin would be in there but it's not listed on the website where I looked.
This is why I like KAL stevia. It only contains pure powdered stevia, no filler. That's why I measure it in milligrams instead of tablespoons or cups. It's quite powerful!

Shanny likes this.
__________________
Pumping insulin since 2017
Daytona is offline  
Old 11-13-2012, 23:20   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 24,394

Member Type
Type 2
Diagnosed in 2009

23929 likes received
32255 likes given
Default

Pure unadultered stevia . . . and don't try to taste it - it's far too potent to stick your unprotected tongue in it!




Daytona likes this.
Shanny is offline  
Old 11-17-2012, 18:59   #10
Active Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 89

Member Type
Type 1
Diagnosed in 2002

57 likes received
38 likes given
Default

I made these last night and they turned out great! Really amazing having such a decadent treat, and I love the fact that I made them myself and didn't pay an arm and a leg for them.

I added a couple raw almonds to some of them, a sprinkle of chopped walnuts to others, and left some plain chocolate. I don't have the powdered stevia yet, so opted for the 20 drops liquid.

At first I was afraid I'd be tempted to eat them all in one sitting. But luckily they are quite filling and two suit me just fine.

Thanks for the recipe!

Shanny and Daytona like this.
tempest is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Milk Chocolate coconut oil candy Shanny Diabetes Recipes 17 02-18-2013 22:21
testing coconut milk yoghurt VeeJay Diabetes Diet and Nutrition 1 07-21-2012 02:20
Coconut Milk Ice Cream - dairy free VeeJay Diabetes Recipes 1 06-16-2012 02:15
Milk for diabetes Haver Diabetes 6 03-24-2012 02:10
coconut oil Questions Heidi9478 New Member Introductions 3 09-29-2011 20:10

LEGAL NOTICE
By using this Website, you agree to abide by our Terms and Conditions (the "Terms"). This notice does not replace our Terms, which you must read in full as they contain important information. You must not post any defamatory, unlawful or undesirable content, or any content copied from a third party, on the Website. You must not copy material from the Website except in accordance with the Terms. This Website gives users an opportunity to share information only and is not intended to contain any advice which you should rely upon. It does not replace the need to take professional or other advice. We have no liability to you or any other person in respect of any content on this Website.


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 06:51.




Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.