The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online

The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online (https://www.diabetesforum.com/forum.php)
-   Diabetes Diet and Nutrition (https://www.diabetesforum.com/diabetes-diet-nutrition/)
-   -   Favorite places to eat out and still manage to keep good control! (https://www.diabetesforum.com/diabetes-diet-nutrition/2124-favorite-places-eat-out-still-manage-keep-good-control.html)

onaughmae 03-16-2010 04:04

Favorite places to eat out and still manage to keep good control!
 
It can be so hard eating out sometimes. I think all restaurants should be required to have nutritional information on the menu so we can know how many carbs we are consuming *sigh*

My hubby took me out tonight to one of my favorite eat out places. We went to Joe's crab shack and I dove into a steampot full of steamed crab. Yummo! Substituted the potatoes with some steamed broccoli and had enough carbs I could enjoy that little piece of corn on the cob. My blood sugar after dinner...115, so I am very happy with that!

Where does everyone like to go when they eat out and what are some good choices?

Cheers
Pam

breezeonby 03-16-2010 04:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by onaughmae (Post 9231)
It can be so hard eating out sometimes. I think all restaurants should be required to have nutritional information on the menu so we can know how many carbs we are consuming *sigh*

My hubby took me out tonight to one of my favorite eat out places. We went to Joe's crab shack and I dove into a steampot full of steamed crab. Yummo! Substituted the potatoes with some steamed broccoli and had enough carbs I could enjoy that little piece of corn on the cob. My blood sugar after dinner...115, so I am very happy with that!

Where does everyone like to go when they eat out and what are some good choices?

Cheers
Pam

I love O'Charley's but I have a hard time with their menu. I only go out to eat a few times a month. I usually end up at Arby's. I will get a medium beef and cheddar. I have to save up my carbs to eat the bun but I so love their beef. I love chicken tenders but there are carbs in the breading. :(

Shanny 03-16-2010 04:59

All of the places we enjoy eating out are little local establishments, so I don't know how much good my list will do since there aren't any other outlets. We have a favorite Mexican food restaurant where I actually take along my own high-fiber low-carb tortillas! I get along well ordering their fajitas & asking them to hold the rice/beans.

We also have an excellent sushi restaurant which serves Korean fare as well as Japanese. I dearly love that place & I think we're going there this month for my birthday. I will really need all my willpower to stay away from the sticky rice, but there are so many other choices that I won't go hungry.




onaughmae 03-16-2010 05:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by breezeonby (Post 9236)
I love O'Charley's but I have a hard time with their menu. I only go out to eat a few times a month. I usually end up at Arby's. I will get a medium beef and cheddar. I have to save up my carbs to eat the bun but I so love their beef. I love chicken tenders but there are carbs in the breading. :(

Mmmm I looked it up...medium beef and cheddar is 44 carbs. I can do that if I dont have anything else with it. I never thought of Arby's thanks!

onaughmae 03-16-2010 05:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shanny (Post 9238)
All of the places we enjoy eating out are little local establishments, so I don't know how much good my list will do since there aren't any other outlets. We have a favorite Mexican food restaurant where I actually take along my own high-fiber low-carb tortillas! I get along well ordering their fajitas & asking them to hold the rice/beans.

Excellent Idea about taking my own tortillas. Although I have become a pretty big fan of using lettuce for wraps. It didnt sound very good at first but one of my favorite things to get at the chinese place here is the chicken lettuce wraps...They use minced chicken, and finely chopped carrots, water chestnuts and scallions...stir fry it with a bit of hoisin sauce added and wrap it in lettuce leaves. *drool* pretty lo carb and very yummy.

Shanny 03-16-2010 06:38

One of the entrées at Seoul Garden comes with lettuce for wraps - it's on the Korean menu, but I'm not sure what it's called. I know my sis ordered it one night & it looked delicious! She lived in Korea for a few years & knew what to look for.




onaughmae 03-16-2010 06:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shanny (Post 9246)
One of the entrées at Seoul Garden comes with lettuce for wraps - it's on the Korean menu, but I'm not sure what it's called. I know my sis ordered it one night & it looked delicious! She lived in Korea for a few years & knew what to look for.

Its really good...I have even used lettuce for wraps for my fajitas or really anything it would work for.

breezeonby 03-17-2010 00:02

Arby's
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by onaughmae (Post 9241)
Mmmm I looked it up...medium beef and cheddar is 44 carbs. I can do that if I dont have anything else with it. I never thought of Arby's thanks!

I know those onion buns are really high in carbs. But so very good. I usually take the drive thru. That way I don't have to see the curly fries or the cherry turnovers!:)

onaughmae 03-17-2010 01:03

ooo cherry turnovers.....*drool*

Shanny 03-17-2010 02:12

You guys WOULD have to bring up Arby's! LOL! I've loved Arby's for 40 years.

When I was first diagnosed, I was making Carbquik "buns" with a lot of cream cheese & eggs, and I could swap the Arby's bun for my wee waffles, and still get by with a dab or Horsie & Arby sauce both.

Methinks I'll be making up a new batch of those little waffles soon!





All times are GMT +1. The time now is 13:33.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.