Conflicting diet advice, nothing left to eat

Go Back   The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online > Diabetes Forum Community > Diabetes Diet and Nutrition

Diabetes Diet and Nutrition A healthy, well balanced, nutritious diet which factors in Diabetes can be crucial for the long term management of Diabetes. Use this section to discuss your diet, what you would like to try, swap recipes and more.


Like Tree1Likes

Conflicting diet advice, nothing left to eat


Closed Thread
 
Shared Thread Thread Tools
Old 08-26-2011, 20:57   #1
Active Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Seattle, WA USA
Posts: 16

Member Type
Type 2
Diagnosed in 2006

4 likes received
2 likes given
Default Conflicting diet advice, nothing left to eat

Hi,

I've been type 2 for 5 years. I've spent considerable effort finding foods which do not spike my blood sugar. Now I've been diagnosed with calcium phosphate kidney stones and severe hyperoxaluria. My urologist suggested I go on a low oxalate diet. No nuts, berries, whole grains, buckwheat, dark green vegetables or even vegetables with color, chocolate, etc.

The problem is these are the only foods that don't spike my blood sugar. I depend on a low-carb diet with nuts, berries, whole grains and vitamin-rich vegetables to control my diabetes. I'm also a very active cyclist and weight lifter. My body fat is below 10%.

They want me to eat things like white bread, mayonnaise, white rice, potatoes, pasta, coke/pepsi, high-sugar fruits and juices, etc. Even brown rice causes severe spikes for me, let alone white rice, which sends my blood sugar into the stratosphere. Apple and grape juice are just as bad.

Almost everything on the low oxalate list has a severe effects on my blood sugar. These are mostly things I would never eat. I can't possible live on what's left, white cabbage, onions, cauliflower, mushrooms and avocados.

This is all so very confusing, everything I know is now wrong.
A healthy diabetes diet and a low oxalate diet are mutually exclusive for me I just don't know what to do.

My doctor at the diabetes clinic is sending me to an Endocrinologist.

Rascal1 is offline  
Old 08-26-2011, 21:03   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Minnesota, USA
Posts: 554

Member Type
Type 2
Diagnosed in 2010

482 likes received
497 likes given
Default

My son who suffers from kidney stones and some of his has been the kind you have and others have been other kinds (btw, he has passed over 40 stones in the past 6 years and he just turned 18) was put on the low oxalate diet and we did not see any improvement with it. If I had to chose between the two, I would stick with what works for you bgl. Perhaps a compromise would be a low oxalate diet with bolus insulin to cover the carbs?

BTW, onions are pretty high in carbs...LOL...you may want to take them off your list.

jojeti is offline  
Old 08-26-2011, 21:26   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 24,394

Member Type
Type 2
Diagnosed in 2009

23929 likes received
32255 likes given
Default

Hello Rascal . . . have they put you on any meds for this? After I passed a coupla calcium oxalate stones, I was put on a mild diuretic (HCTZ) & I've been taking it for about 14 years now - haven't had any more stones since.

I don't eat a severely low oxalate diet, but I do keep in mind some of the higher-oxalate foods to limit, because I also take meds for gout, which is mixed up in the equation too. There are a few foods like spinach, sweet potatoes, strawberries & almonds that I have to be careful & not go hogwild, but others are just no problem because - like soy or anything with grains - I just don't eat ANY of it.

I think your endocrinologist & your urologist need to be consulting on this . . . they can't just leave you hanging out here to flap around in the wind. Rattle their cages for some help with this issue - it won't hurt 'em a bit.




Shanny is offline  
 
Old 08-26-2011, 21:58   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Minnesota, USA
Posts: 554

Member Type
Type 2
Diagnosed in 2010

482 likes received
497 likes given
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanny View Post
Hello Rascal . . . have they put you on any meds for this? After I passed a coupla calcium oxalate stones, I was put on a mild diuretic (HCTZ) & I've been taking it for about 14 years now - haven't had any more stones since.

I don't eat a severely low oxalate diet, but I do keep in mind some of the higher-oxalate foods to limit, because I also take meds for gout, which is mixed up in the equation too. There are a few foods like spinach, sweet potatoes, strawberries & almonds that I have to be careful & not go hogwild, but others are just no problem because - like soy or anything with grains - I just don't eat ANY of it.

I think your endocrinologist & your urologist need to be consulting on this . . . they can't just leave you hanging out here to flap around in the wind. Rattle their cages for some help with this issue - it won't hurt 'em a bit.
I should add that in my son's case, another nephrologist put him on HCTZ instead of the diet. So far, he hasn't passed anymore of those type of stones but passed other types, infact he is working on another right now...it moves and stops, moves and stops...sometimes it takes him several days to pass. He has also had surgical removals.

jojeti is offline  
Old 08-26-2011, 22:14   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 24,394

Member Type
Type 2
Diagnosed in 2009

23929 likes received
32255 likes given
Default

Gosh Joan - that's horrible . . . the moving is excruciating. What's being done to figure this out?




Shanny is offline  
Old 08-26-2011, 22:33   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Minnesota, USA
Posts: 554

Member Type
Type 2
Diagnosed in 2010

482 likes received
497 likes given
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanny View Post
Gosh Joan - that's horrible . . . the moving is excruciating. What's being done to figure this out?
His is another complication from his crohn's disease. He has had several nephrologists involved including Mayo and they can't do a lot for it. We keep ativan, zofran and vicodan on hand to deal with them as much as we can at home but still end up at ER many of the times.

jojeti is offline  
Old 08-26-2011, 22:54   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 24,394

Member Type
Type 2
Diagnosed in 2009

23929 likes received
32255 likes given
Default

I'll certainly be keeping him in my thoughts . . . one of our sons has Crohns too, but nothing like this. Plus he's 45 years old & only had it for 13 years. No surgeries yet, but several lengthy hospitalizations. It's a miserable disease.




Shanny is offline  
Old 08-27-2011, 00:01   #8
Active Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Seattle, WA USA
Posts: 16

Member Type
Type 2
Diagnosed in 2006

4 likes received
2 likes given
Default

I guess I'll wait until I see the Endocrinologist. They're going to do another 24 hr. urine test in a couple months along with a ultrasound/xray to see if I'm forming any new stones before recommending new meds. In the mean time, I'm not going to make any drastic changes to my diet. I'll take the healthy diet as a first choice.

My Urologist said I could eat more calcium when I eat high oxalate foods to mitigate the effects. I take Metformin and Prandin now. The diabetes clinic told me I could up my Prandin dose if needed.

My H1ac is 5.7 now. I got it down to 5.1, but that took a severe cutback on carbs. My doc told me under 6 is fine, don't be so strict on myself. When I go on 60+ mile bike rides I get to eat as much carbs as I want (mmmm cookies!). I can burn 5000+ calories in a day. I prefer to use diet and exercise to reduce the amount of Prandin I have to take. When I'm very active, sometimes I don't even have to take any Prandin.

Rascal1 is offline  
Old 08-27-2011, 00:31   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Saint Louis
Posts: 718

Member Type
Type 2
Diagnosed in 2010

205 likes received
112 likes given
Default

I would suggest trying lemon juice every day to help. I had one two years ago they had to put a stent in for. Then when I got pregnant last year, I had another one, but I started drinking a big glass of lemonade with splenda every day and it went away - or dissolved into passable pieces.

I would chose to eat healthy and control my blood sugar and deal with the stones.

__________________
~S~ mom to three boys, and blessed with the genetic crapload:

Hypothyroidism @10
Insulin Resistance/PCOS @16
Type 2 @31
Low Carb / Primal / Whole Foods
Stopped Glyburide May 2011

A1C
June 2010 ~ 9.2
Aug 2010 ~ 7.1
Nov 2010 ~ 6.0
July 2011 ~ 5.2

Our baby boy arrived 4/15 ~ 8lbs 10oz

wdmama is offline  
Old 08-27-2011, 02:12   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Minnesota, USA
Posts: 554

Member Type
Type 2
Diagnosed in 2010

482 likes received
497 likes given
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rascal1 View Post
I guess I'll wait until I see the Endocrinologist. They're going to do another 24 hr. urine test in a couple months along with a ultrasound/xray to see if I'm forming any new stones before recommending new meds. In the mean time, I'm not going to make any drastic changes to my diet. I'll take the healthy diet as a first choice.

My Urologist said I could eat more calcium when I eat high oxalate foods to mitigate the effects. I take Metformin and Prandin now. The diabetes clinic told me I could up my Prandin dose if needed.

My H1ac is 5.7 now. I got it down to 5.1, but that took a severe cutback on carbs. My doc told me under 6 is fine, don't be so strict on myself. When I go on 60+ mile bike rides I get to eat as much carbs as I want (mmmm cookies!). I can burn 5000+ calories in a day. I prefer to use diet and exercise to reduce the amount of Prandin I have to take. When I'm very active, sometimes I don't even have to take any Prandin.
That reminds me, I almost forgot, the nephrologist told my son to eat 2 tums before each meal (for the calcium) and he had explained how that works but I have forgotten.

jojeti is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Musle twich left side nerrad33 New Member Introductions 10 07-07-2011 15:06
Chronic, Gnawing, Burning Left Side Pain Anyone? TheDiabeticAvenger! Diabetes Complications 4 05-21-2011 14:39
Getting conflicting info. from professionals Raindance Diabetes Complications 2 04-08-2011 00:48
Numbness on left side of body tomw Diabetes Symptoms 12 05-06-2010 21:12
One reach left... shoover53 New Member Introductions 2 02-19-2010 00:52

LEGAL NOTICE
By using this Website, you agree to abide by our Terms and Conditions (the "Terms"). This notice does not replace our Terms, which you must read in full as they contain important information. You must not post any defamatory, unlawful or undesirable content, or any content copied from a third party, on the Website. You must not copy material from the Website except in accordance with the Terms. This Website gives users an opportunity to share information only and is not intended to contain any advice which you should rely upon. It does not replace the need to take professional or other advice. We have no liability to you or any other person in respect of any content on this Website.


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 09:57.




Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.