Attempting the LC/HF diet (fingers crossed) - Page 4

Go Back   The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online > Diabetes Forum Community > Diabetes Diet and Nutrition

Diabetes Diet and Nutrition A healthy, well balanced, nutritious diet which factors in Diabetes can be crucial for the long term management of Diabetes. Use this section to discuss your diet, what you would like to try, swap recipes and more.


Like Tree110Likes

Attempting the LC/HF diet (fingers crossed) - Page 4


Closed Thread
 
Shared Thread Thread Tools
Old 10-17-2011, 02:23   #31
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Hovden, Norway
Posts: 1,095

Member Type
Type 1
Diagnosed in 2010

956 likes received
571 likes given
Default

Those first week when you live LCHF it will help a lot to drink a lot of water, and also make sure you get enough fat.
Your body feels really sick now because it has to understand that it no longer will be able to just use the carbohydrates to make energy; it has to use the fat.
I know several people who also has had a good help in taking magnesium in the beginning.
Soon you will feel better and the fun starts

d33na and MsTCB like this.
__________________
Last A1c 5,4
---------------------
Always look on the bright side of life
optimist is offline  
Old 10-17-2011, 07:55   #32
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Kentucky, USA
Posts: 158

Member Type
Type 2
Diagnosed in 1998

62 likes received
132 likes given
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by d33na View Post
it's only 8am here lol so no stuff ups....but I feel good...off to the shops today to stock up on some food...

i think I need to focus on 'today' and try not to dwell on the past...I can't fix what went wrong before...but I can try and stay positive about now!
AWESOME attitude!! I like that!!
Enjoy shopping for fun, new stuff. I'll be heading to the store later today. It's midnight here. I woke up for a b-room break and decided to peak in at the forum.

Have a great day and I'll check back in later.

d33na likes this.
MsTCB is offline  
Old 10-17-2011, 08:00   #33
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Kentucky, USA
Posts: 158

Member Type
Type 2
Diagnosed in 1998

62 likes received
132 likes given
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimist View Post
Those first week when you live LCHF it will help a lot to drink a lot of water, and also make sure you get enough fat.
Your body feels really sick now because it has to understand that it no longer will be able to just use the carbohydrates to make energy; it has to use the fat.
I know several people who also has had a good help in taking magnesium in the beginning.
Soon you will feel better and the fun starts
Thank you for the info and suggestions. I thought there was something terribly wrong with me. I do think the increased water will definitely help. Increasing fats will be another thing I will have to work on slowly. Despite my elevated Triglyceride numbers, I've just naturally had a low-fat diet - meaning, I wasn't purposely choosing it.

Thanks again!!

MsTCB is offline  
 
Old 10-17-2011, 10:38   #34
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 24,394

Member Type
Type 2
Diagnosed in 2009

23930 likes received
32255 likes given
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsTCB View Post
It's midnight here. I woke up for a b-room break and decided to peak in at the forum.
You are SO bad - you're as bad as I am! Checking the boards in the middle of the night! LOL!

If I told you this before, I hope you'll forgive me, but when I went on LCHF, my husband did too, because he isn't much of a cook & I stopped cooking two meals pretty early on - like the first WEEK! After a year or two of eating this way, his lipids were substantially lower and his triglycerides dropped like a rock - from 379 to 138. He doesn't take statins, and the only change was switching to LCHF diet. Many people have documented evidence just like his, that LCHF reduces cholesterol levels. There is just NO confirmed evidence that dietary fats cause higher risk for heart disease.




MsTCB likes this.
Shanny is offline  
Old 10-17-2011, 11:40   #35
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 1

Member Type
Type Undiagnosed
Diagnosed in 2006

1 likes received
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsTCB View Post
Thank you for the info and suggestions. I thought there was something terribly wrong with me. I do think the increased water will definitely help. Increasing fats will be another thing I will have to work on slowly. Despite my elevated Triglyceride numbers, I've just naturally had a low-fat diet - meaning, I wasn't purposely choosing it.

Thanks again!!
Great that you are trying Low Carb High Fat! It is a massive health trend in Scandinavia and it all began in Sweden (Google search: The Swedish Low Carb Revolution). The health benefits are numerous and people are caching on. Weird to see people putting butter on their omelet!

The book Diabetes? No Thanks!, from Swedish author Lars-Erik Litsfeldt, is now out in English on kindle and it details the authour's journey from heavy symptoms to a new life without medication by regaining control over his BG.

MsTCB likes this.
fisherman is offline  
Old 10-18-2011, 05:33   #36
Active Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Eastpointe, Mi USA
Posts: 21

Member Type
Type 2
Diagnosed in 2001

2 likes received
1 likes given
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanny View Post
You are SO bad - you're as bad as I am! Checking the boards in the middle of the night! LOL!

If I told you this before, I hope you'll forgive me, but when I went on LCHF, my husband did too, because he isn't much of a cook & I stopped cooking two meals pretty early on - like the first WEEK! After a year or two of eating this way, his lipids were substantially lower and his triglycerides dropped like a rock - from 379 to 138. He doesn't take statins, and the only change was switching to LCHF diet. Many people have documented evidence just like his, that LCHF reduces cholesterol levels. There is just NO confirmed evidence that dietary fats cause higher risk for heart disease.
As someone with type 2 diabetes and congestive heart failure, I can't accept this. Life is a balancing act, and swinging too much in one direction or another cannot be healthy (heck, just look at your lipid #'s in your signature).

I have found that a diet that is balanced, containing whole grains, fresh fruits and vegetables, and lean proteins to be best for me. Most people don't get enough fiber in their diets, so I make sure I have at least 25 g daily. The one thing that makes the biggest difference to me is the elimination of processed foods. Try to keep it as natural as possible.

Not trying to be argumentative, just concerned by the trend.

__________________
Craig
toadhunter911 is offline  
Old 10-18-2011, 06:38   #37
Moderator
 
moon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 6,160

Member Type
Type 2
Diagnosed in 2011

5839 likes received
3468 likes given
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsTCB View Post
Despite my elevated Triglyceride numbers, I've just naturally had a low-fat diet - meaning, I wasn't purposely choosing it.
The high triglycerides come from a high-carb diet, so that's not inconsistent.

MsTCB likes this.
__________________
Dx'ed Feb 2011 w/ BS > 600
A1C: . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Other Stuff
2/13/11 .. 14.7 . . . . . . Trig/HDL ratio .. 5.5 to 2.2 in 6 mo
5/23/11 .. 6.2 . . . . . . . Low-carb/high healthy-fat diet
9/8/11 .... 5.6 . . . . . . . No meds, No statin
2/24/16 .... basal/bolus insulin 2-3 days/wk due to steroids

moon is offline  
Old 10-18-2011, 07:02   #38
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: California, USA
Posts: 3,076

Member Type
Type 2
Diagnosed in 2009

4566 likes received
542 likes given
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by toadhunter911 View Post
As someone with type 2 diabetes and congestive heart failure, I can't accept this. Life is a balancing act, and swinging too much in one direction or another cannot be healthy (heck, just look at your lipid #'s in your signature).

I have found that a diet that is balanced, containing whole grains, fresh fruits and vegetables, and lean proteins to be best for me. Most people don't get enough fiber in their diets, so I make sure I have at least 25 g daily. The one thing that makes the biggest difference to me is the elimination of processed foods. Try to keep it as natural as possible.

Not trying to be argumentative, just concerned by the trend.
Could you elaborate on how you came to know that this is what is best for you? I'm just curious.

I lived many years thinking pretty much the same thing. All my lipid and BP numbers were "borderline" or high. Then came diabetes. Through following my meter (no, not be reading some book), I ended up at LC/HF as in my signature. Not only did I find completely normal BG numbers with zero meds or insulin (exercise optional), but ALL of my heart-related numbers improved most pretty dramatically.

Blood pressure: 130/80 -> 115/75
LDL 160 -> 132
HDL 158 -> 51
Triglycerides 158-> 58

This is much more typical of people using the LC/HF WOE. Shanny may have other issues perhaps she can explain it to us. It appears to be just about universal that those who switch to LC/HF experience:

LDL: slight drop, no change or slight rise (but particle size which is much more important tends to Type A - large, fluffy and harmless.

HDL: good rise

Triglycerides: major drop - this is often the most dramatic of all changes.

BP: improves

The evidence doesn't suggest that this WOE is in any way risky to heart health, more like the opposite.

The most amazing change to me personally is that fiber is no longer a concern at all. I no longer need large amounts as I used to on my old "healthy" WOE and only eat a small amount of it.

IMO, this is a great "trend" for our health and I'm so thankful diabetes led me to it.

__________________
Salim Morgan, T2
66 Years
DX: 9/2009 A1C=10.7
A1C 2/2010: 6.7 (DX + 4 months)
A1C 5/2010: 6.0 (DX + 8 months)
A1C 8/2010: 5.7 (DX + 11 months)
A1C 11/2010: 5.1 (DX + 14 months)
A1C 9/2011: 5.6 (DX + 2 years)
A1C 7/2012: 5.5 (DX + 2 years 10 months)
A1C 1/2019: 5.5
Diet: Approximately C:10;P:15;F:75 (as % calories)
Exercise: Not much. Stairs at home & work.
NO MEDS, No Highs, No Lows
Grandkids: 22
smorgan is offline  
Old 10-18-2011, 09:19   #39
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Hovden, Norway
Posts: 1,095

Member Type
Type 1
Diagnosed in 2010

956 likes received
571 likes given
Default

I get plenty of fiber from the vegetables I`m eating.
Before I got diabetes I ate just as toadhunter911 says, and my stomach wasn`t good at all. 1-2 times a week I went on the toilet, now my digestion works fine.
My cholesterol was high, but is now just fine.
For me LCHF is a new and better way to live!

__________________
Last A1c 5,4
---------------------
Always look on the bright side of life
optimist is offline  
Old 10-18-2011, 10:38   #40
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 24,394

Member Type
Type 2
Diagnosed in 2009

23930 likes received
32255 likes given
Default

In my opinion, the "issue" is statins usage. When I was diagnosed with diabetes, my lipids looked like this:

Cholesterol: 209
HDL: 38
LDL: 127
Triglycerides: 184

Not too good, and not too bad . . . but they'd been like this for the last 20 years. Very stable, so it wasn't an issue for me or my doc. But with the onset of diabetes, he automatically put me on a statin & I didn't know any better.

After a year or so, I had learned a few things, and I asked to go off the statin. Doc agreed. What you see in my signature is the rebound, and the explanation is there - statin usage discontinued in Oct. 2010. Of course I knew it looked bad to post those numbers, but I wasn't going to lie about it or hide it. If people choose to throw it up to me, well - that isn't my problem, because my doc & I know I'm okay regardless of what others think.

The numbers I get today at the lab may be no better than what I got last time, but I will know that it is not an artificial number, induced by a dangerous drug. I will know that irrespective of my lipids profile, LCHF gives me low blood sugar as well as relief from digestive difficulties.

My A1c is 6.0, and I am not just ABOUT to exchange my low blood sugar for a so-called "balanced" diet including fruits & whole grains. My meter tells me what those foods do to me - so no thanks. It's good that it works for you, Craig, but it doesn't work for me. My primary focus is keeping blood sugar under control, and the rest of the chips will just have to fall where they may.

Could you tell us how you manage your diabetes beyond a balanced diet including whole grains, fruits/vegetables & lean protein? Are you on insulin or other meds? What was your last A1c? How's your lipids profile?




Dura likes this.
Shanny is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
my poor fingers.... tony0611 Diabetes Forum Lounge 10 09-29-2011 17:01
Numb Fingers Raindance Diabetes Symptoms 9 05-08-2011 12:02
Palm or fingers...? Bugg Diabetes Medication and Supplies 3 04-08-2011 13:49
my dad-fingers peeling, blistered, and losing fingernails mommie917 Diabetes Complications 11 01-03-2010 20:06
cant get blood out of my fingers anymore! (thumbs are fine) cduval04 Diabetes Treatment 2 03-29-2009 15:58

LEGAL NOTICE
By using this Website, you agree to abide by our Terms and Conditions (the "Terms"). This notice does not replace our Terms, which you must read in full as they contain important information. You must not post any defamatory, unlawful or undesirable content, or any content copied from a third party, on the Website. You must not copy material from the Website except in accordance with the Terms. This Website gives users an opportunity to share information only and is not intended to contain any advice which you should rely upon. It does not replace the need to take professional or other advice. We have no liability to you or any other person in respect of any content on this Website.


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 09:20.




Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.