The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online

The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online (https://www.diabetesforum.com/forum.php)
-   Diabetes Diet and Nutrition (https://www.diabetesforum.com/diabetes-diet-nutrition/)
-   -   Eating low-carb, WITHOUT dairy (https://www.diabetesforum.com/diabetes-diet-nutrition/9328-eating-low-carb-without-dairy.html)

Odalisque1953 11-23-2015 23:20

Yes, cross-reactivity. I had no idea. In the midst of this, I had an appt. with the gastroenterologist at THE Celiac Center in New York, and unbelievably in explaining my symptoms, no query was made about that possibility, which now that I figured it out, seems incredible. I have absolutely eaten gluten-free (purportedly) for at least ten years, since diagnosis of celiac, but did not at all understand what "processing in a facility with wheat" could mean. There is a great YouTube video online, and once I saw that, I GOT it. The equipment can not be thoroughly cleaned enough,at least for sensitive people.
Since I have been reading labels a long time now, I firmly believe we have been completely duped by the food industry, and with Big Pharma and Big Agra, the only way to change the system is not to buy the products. It is only about money. Vote with your pocketbook.
Make us sick from the food; then heal us with the medicine.

VeeJay 11-23-2016 17:24

I have discovered a wonderful non-dairy cheese at the health food store both Natural Grocers and Whole Foods.

The brand is Follow Your Heart. They have several "flavors" of their dairy-free cheese, which is vegan, lactose free, casein free, and soy free. The oil they use is coconut oil - how great is that!!!

Downside to this cheese is it has a bit more carbs per serving - 4g - than the other, Rice cheese I was using at 2g. But I restrict myself to a half a slice at a time. Taste is great - they have smoked gouda, provolone, mozzarella - texture is firm and pleasing, and it melts.

This is now my go-to "cheese".

Some time ago I gave up on the Rice cheese - they had changed their formula I guess because it was more like cheese spread - and impossible to slice or grate. Plus, their flavors don't hold a candle to the FYH brand.

joshuamiller7602 07-07-2018 13:53

i don't know that dairy products are good for me or not. How can i know?

itissteve 07-07-2018 14:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by joshuamiller7602 (Post 1305997)
i don't know that dairy products are good for me or not. How can i know?

Trying them, I would say. Family history. Some people are lactose-intolerant, either individually or because some people groups are more predisposed to the condition. If your nearer relatives are lactose-intolerant, you may be as well.

But f you've been eating milk, cheese, etc., without gastric problems or allergic reactions, dairy very likely is OK for you and you can concentrate on eating those items which are lower in carbohydrates.

VeeJay 07-07-2018 15:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by joshuamiller7602 (Post 1305997)
i don't know that dairy products are good for me or not. How can i know?

It took a lab test for food sensitivities for me to know, when I found that I am sensitive to casein, the protein in milk - which is different from being lactose intolerant.

Sensitivities are a low-grade allergy and are difficult to pinpoint because the reaction can be delayed as long as several days. And there can be a variety of symptoms such as hay-fever symptoms (my husband's reaction to dairy) and, for me, it's itchy skin. Stomach cramps are usually associated with lactose intolerance.

Why do you think dairy isn't good for you. Do you have any reactions that seem to come on after ingesting dairy?

itissteve 07-07-2018 16:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by VeeJay (Post 1306009)
I found that I am sensitive to casein, the protein in milk - which is different from being lactose intolerant.

Very good point, VeeJay, and one I didn't express very carefully in my response. Thanks for clarifying.

joshuamiller7602 07-09-2018 14:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by itissteve (Post 1306005)
Trying them, I would say. Family history. Some people are lactose-intolerant, either individually or because some people groups are more predisposed to the condition. If your nearer relatives are lactose-intolerant, you may be as well.

But f you've been eating milk, cheese, etc., without gastric problems or allergic reactions, dairy very likely is OK for you and you can concentrate on eating those items which are lower in carbohydrates.

I don't have such kind of family history. I also taking the dairy products but in the limited quantity. Is coffee good?

itissteve 07-09-2018 15:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by joshuamiller7602 (Post 1306177)
Is coffee good?

I think coffee is excellent! lol

Medically speaking, some people are sensitive to ingredients in anything. Though I've never heard of it, I'm sure there are people out there who are allergic to coffee. Certainly there are people sensitive to caffeine. There are studies that indicate that "normal" amounts of coffee can raise or lower BG levels (helpful, huh? :wink2:). Another study indicates that caffeine does indeed raise BG levels but the dosage given study volunteers was the equivalent of three cups of coffee in one session, which may not at all be the way you drink it.

Of course, if milk (not cream, but milk) and sugar and syrups are added to the coffee, the effect may be different, too.

As with so many things people with diabetes eat or drink, your mileage may vary. That's why we say you have to test yourself to know for sure.

joshuamiller7602 07-17-2018 10:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by itissteve (Post 1306181)
I think coffee is excellent! lol

Medically speaking, some people are sensitive to ingredients in anything. Though I've never heard of it, I'm sure there are people out there who are allergic to coffee. Certainly there are people sensitive to caffeine. There are studies that indicate that "normal" amounts of coffee can raise or lower BG levels (helpful, huh? :wink2:). Another study indicates that caffeine does indeed raise BG levels but the dosage given study volunteers was the equivalent of three cups of coffee in one session, which may not at all be the way you drink it.

Of course, if milk (not cream, but milk) and sugar and syrups are added to the coffee, the effect may be different, too.

As with so many things people with diabetes eat or drink, your mileage may vary. That's why we say you have to test yourself to know for sure.

Hi dear, previously it was question that can consuming coffee prevent type-2 diabetes? I have found an article regarding this at NCBI that shows that drinking coffee without sugar and creamer at least three times daily has the greatest preventive effect on diabetes onset.

itissteve 07-17-2018 13:40

Well, the original question did not specify:
Quote:

Originally Posted by joshuamiller7602 (Post 1306177)
Is coffee good?

Current studies seem to show that coffee is good for people who do not yet have diabetes, but there are conflicting study results for coffee consumption among people who already have diabetes. So I guess the answer depends on whether or not a person has diabetes.


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 13:03.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.