question about Swerve

Go Back   The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online > Diabetes Forum Community > Diabetes Diet and Nutrition

Diabetes Diet and Nutrition A healthy, well balanced, nutritious diet which factors in Diabetes can be crucial for the long term management of Diabetes. Use this section to discuss your diet, what you would like to try, swap recipes and more.


Like Tree7Likes

question about Swerve


Reply
 
Shared Thread Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2020, 20:02   #1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Texas, USA
Posts: 100

Member Type
Type Pre
Diagnosed in 2016

47 likes received
72 likes given
Default question about Swerve

I'm behind the times and only recently heard about the sweetener, Swerve. I looked it up, but am still confused about it. It has 4 carbs . It says even though it has 4 carbs, it doesn't affect blood sugar. It doesn't have any sugars, but also doesn't have fiber, so they aren't counting the ''net' carbs (which I don't anyway).

So, does it affect blood sugar or not?

thanks!

Sholleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 20:11   #2
Moderator
 
itissteve's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Minnesota, USA
Posts: 1,686

Member Type
Type 2
Diagnosed in 2011

1285 likes received
521 likes given
Default

It depends ...

Swerve (erythritol) has sugar alcohols in it. Sugar alcohols are not treated as sugar/carbs by humans. There should be no blood glucose response because there are no carbs the body processes.

That said, however, pretty much everyone here can tell you about some food or beverage that shouldn't spike their blood glucose -- but does. The best way to know how erythritol affects you is to test your BG before and after you consume it, like any other food.

__________________
Now with less sugar!

A1c 09-15-2020: 5.6; no meds. Thank you LCHF!
itissteve is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 21:33   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Texas, USA
Posts: 100

Member Type
Type Pre
Diagnosed in 2016

47 likes received
72 likes given
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by itissteve View Post
It depends ...



That said, however, pretty much everyone here can tell you about some food or beverage that shouldn't spike their blood glucose -- but does. The best way to know how erythritol affects you is to test your BG before and after you consume it, like any other food.
You know, I guess I should have known that was the bottom line. thanks for the explanation of why it says what it says.

I have to try the 'hard' way. When I used sugar, i used 3 heaping tspns, and now use a tsp of saccharine (yep, settled on it. Couldn't tolerate the aftertaste of all the healthier ones)/ So, 3 x 4 carbs (I know, they don't count)= 12 carbs to start my day with one cup of coffee...... I'll try once to see

Sholleman is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Old 01-31-2020, 20:45   #4
Moderator
 
moon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 6,158

Member Type
Type 2
Diagnosed in 2011

5835 likes received
3468 likes given
Default

I've been a bit behind the times too @Sholleman in that I used to use a combo of erythritol and liquid Splenda and Stevia - my wizard combo - when baking. And, folks couldn't tell it from sugar because the aftertaste of one tends to negate the aftertaste of the others.

Flash forward to today and there's monk fruit, allulose, and ... maybe something else ... which are new since I was plugged in. There is an erythritol/monk fruit sweetener which is very good, and I'm experimenting with them. Main point is that if one doesn't agree there are options of others to try both for taste and bg impact. My bg doesn't react significantly enough to these sweeteners to make a difference, thank goodness!

Sholleman likes this.
__________________
Dx'ed Feb 2011 w/ BS > 600
A1C: . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Other Stuff
2/13/11 .. 14.7 . . . . . . Trig/HDL ratio .. 5.5 to 2.2 in 6 mo
5/23/11 .. 6.2 . . . . . . . Low-carb/high healthy-fat diet
9/8/11 .... 5.6 . . . . . . . No meds, No statin
2/24/16 .... basal/bolus insulin 2-3 days/wk due to steroids

moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 23:13   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Texas, USA
Posts: 100

Member Type
Type Pre
Diagnosed in 2016

47 likes received
72 likes given
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by moon View Post
I've been a bit behind the times too @Sholleman in that I used to use a combo of erythritol and liquid Splenda and Stevia - my wizard combo - when baking. And, folks couldn't tell it from sugar because the aftertaste of one tends to negate the aftertaste of the others.

Flash forward to today and there's monk fruit, allulose, and ... maybe something else ... which are new since I was plugged in. There is an erythritol/monk fruit sweetener which is very good, and I'm experimenting with them. Main point is that if one doesn't agree there are options of others to try both for taste and bg impact. My bg doesn't react significantly enough to these sweeteners to make a difference, thank goodness!
Sounds interesting. I might give it a try. I do know that Splenda makes my bg go up. My dr suggested I try Gatorade Zero & Propel for electrolytes to stop nighttime toe,foot&leg cramps, and sure enough when I got checked next, my a1C went up. And, HE said that was doing it (he didn't remember he was the one who suggested it). SO, i had to change to one with Stevia. But, for a little cooking, it can't hurt .

thanks & good luck with yours, too

Sholleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 04:05   #6
Moderator
 
moon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 6,158

Member Type
Type 2
Diagnosed in 2011

5835 likes received
3468 likes given
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sholleman View Post
vMy dr suggested I try Gatorade Zero & Propel for electrolytes to stop nighttime toe,foot&leg cramps, and sure enough when I got checked next, my a1C went up.
I had pretty good luck with diet tonic water for leg cramps.

etherea likes this.
__________________
Dx'ed Feb 2011 w/ BS > 600
A1C: . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Other Stuff
2/13/11 .. 14.7 . . . . . . Trig/HDL ratio .. 5.5 to 2.2 in 6 mo
5/23/11 .. 6.2 . . . . . . . Low-carb/high healthy-fat diet
9/8/11 .... 5.6 . . . . . . . No meds, No statin
2/24/16 .... basal/bolus insulin 2-3 days/wk due to steroids

moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 05:08   #7
Moderator
 
mbuster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: SW Arkansas
Posts: 9,359

Member Type
Type 2
Diagnosed in Feb. 2012

11307 likes received
6591 likes given
Default

Diet tonic water works for BH. Its the kind with quinine in it.

I ride a bike and sweat easily in the warmer months. I usually make my own electrolyte drink, which has 10-20 times more potassium in it than others, more sodium, and probably magnesium too. On long organized rides, if they have it, I drink pickle juice too.

I've recently tried a couple of new electrolyte drinks, one is a powder mix and the other is in table form. They are only 2 grams of of carbs. The tablets are more convenient later on in a ride because I just plop 2 tablets into a 25 ounce water bottle when I refill it with water.

etherea and Sholleman like this.
__________________
Think I've had this since 2003. Told I was Type 2 lean on 2/13/12.
a1c 8.8 (8/2011) 5.2 (02/2020)
TC 183 LDL 102 HDL 65 TG 52 (02/20/2020)
Supplemental vitamins and electrolytes
65 YY Love the LCHF diet. The cheese goes well with my whine

updated 10/12/2020
mbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 17:42   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Texas, USA
Posts: 100

Member Type
Type Pre
Diagnosed in 2016

47 likes received
72 likes given
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbuster View Post
Diet tonic water works for BH. Its the kind with quinine in it.

I ride a bike and sweat easily in the warmer months. I usually make my own electrolyte drink, which has 10-20 times more potassium in it than others, more sodium, and probably magnesium too. On long organized rides, if they have it, I drink pickle juice too.

I've recently tried a couple of new electrolyte drinks, one is a powder mix and the other is in table form. They are only 2 grams of of carbs. The tablets are more convenient later on in a ride because I just plop 2 tablets into a 25 ounce water bottle when I refill it with water.
Yup, I drink (yes, diet, due to the pre-diabetes) tonic water before bed & each time I get up to stop the toe,etc cramps. I also use the powder electrolyte mix (I mix it strong, hoping it will help better, but not sure it does..may be wasting it....it's pretty expensive at $35 / 8.5 oz on Amazon. It also tastes better stronger. I liked the stuff with the sucralose better. Due to Chronic Fatigue Syndrome & fibromyalgia, I can't exercise enough to sweat, so that's not an issue. But, I don't think I've seen the tablets. I'll look for them. It'd be a lot easier than taking an ice chest with my electrolyte water everywhere and packing powder when we travel, etc.
thanks!
Pickle juice is a new one for me. I've heard of mustard and a few others. My Dr says it's the salt in all of the things like that which helps.


Last edited by Sholleman; 02-01-2020 at 17:56.
Sholleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 02:32   #9
Moderator
 
mbuster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: SW Arkansas
Posts: 9,359

Member Type
Type 2
Diagnosed in Feb. 2012

11307 likes received
6591 likes given
Default

The powder I tried is Superieur and the tablets are Nuun Hydration Sport. I'm not endorsing either, but the tablets come in a small tube and easy to carry. The 25 ounce bottle I refer to is one that is carried on bicycles and has a large lid on it.

Pickle juice I save after the pickles are gone and keep it in the fridge and take a chug or two every now and then. There is also a company called Pickle Juice that sells packages of shot size servings of pickle juice.

Sholleman likes this.
__________________
Think I've had this since 2003. Told I was Type 2 lean on 2/13/12.
a1c 8.8 (8/2011) 5.2 (02/2020)
TC 183 LDL 102 HDL 65 TG 52 (02/20/2020)
Supplemental vitamins and electrolytes
65 YY Love the LCHF diet. The cheese goes well with my whine

updated 10/12/2020
mbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 18:37   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Texas, USA
Posts: 100

Member Type
Type Pre
Diagnosed in 2016

47 likes received
72 likes given
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbuster View Post
The powder I tried is Superieur and the tablets are Nuun Hydration Sport. I'm not endorsing either, but the tablets come in a small tube and easy to carry. The 25 ounce bottle I refer to is one that is carried on bicycles and has a large lid on it.

Pickle juice I save after the pickles are gone and keep it in the fridge and take a chug or two every now and then. There is also a company called Pickle Juice that sells packages of shot size servings of pickle juice.
thanks! The powder I'm using is flavored (that's the reason I used more to help it taste better), but I think using extra in the water isn't helping. Yesterday instead of drinking 3 bottles (which is what I need to not cramp), I drank 2, which were mixed 3x's the strength and I had toe/foot and leg cramps all through the night. I drank half a bottle of diet tonic, getting up 5 times. I even tried the PM leg cramp pills before I went to sleep. They only lasted 45 minutes.

Just might try something different, like what you mentioned. I'm also taking Potassium, trying to sit in my chair differently at night (they say sitting in the same position will do it), and even () putting a bar of lavender soap under my sheets! A PA at my Dr's suggested it, and I looked it up. It 'helped' at first, and when I started to get leg cramps again, I removed it, and the week it was gone, I had the WORST leg cramps ever.....so, no scientific evidence, but I'll try anything that doesn't harm me .

thanks again!

Sholleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


LEGAL NOTICE
By using this Website, you agree to abide by our Terms and Conditions (the "Terms"). This notice does not replace our Terms, which you must read in full as they contain important information. You must not post any defamatory, unlawful or undesirable content, or any content copied from a third party, on the Website. You must not copy material from the Website except in accordance with the Terms. This Website gives users an opportunity to share information only and is not intended to contain any advice which you should rely upon. It does not replace the need to take professional or other advice. We have no liability to you or any other person in respect of any content on this Website.


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 02:54.




Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.