Many Diabetics Lack Education - Page 2

Go Back   The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online > Diabetes Forum Start Here > Diabetes Forum Lounge

Diabetes Forum Lounge The Diabetes Forum lounge is the more social area of the community. Please feel free to drop in, and discuss anything thatís on your mind. Use this area for off topic discussions, making friends and being social.


Many Diabetics Lack Education - Page 2


Closed Thread
 
Shared Thread Thread Tools
Old 04-22-2010, 21:29   #11
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 24,394

Member Type
Type 2
Diagnosed in 2009

23929 likes received
32255 likes given
Default

Boy, I dunno, B2U . . . everyone I know with the exception of my 91-year-old father, goes on the computer for everything. Whether they accept the splashy spammy headline advertising, or dig in for in-depth research, I think a LOT of people DO utilize computers this way. It isn't just a gaming device.

Whether or not people expect to participate in their own preventive/proactive medical care is another issue. My own experience may be unusual, but the people I know well are not the sort to blindly follow doctors' orders. They're searching out second opinions and finding what choices are available to them. But the differences in my environment and that of others may be the telling sign . . . rural populations do tend to be more independent and self-sufficient. Maybe if I'd lived in a major metropolitan area all these years, I'd have a different outlook, but my experience is that people DO want to participate in their own lives, and aren't necessarily looking for the easy way out. They just want to live long & prosper, whatever it takes.




Shanny is offline  
Old 04-29-2010, 14:34   #12
Active Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: NJ USA
Posts: 11


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by breezeonby View Post
I am taking a diabetes self-management class for T2 on insulin. There are several people in the class that are not new to diabetes. I was amazed at how little some people with diabetes know about the disease and how to treat it. People with diabetes who are using insulin really need to be educated about the use of it. Most doctors do not have the time to sit down and explain the ins & outs of insulin. Insulin is a wonderful drug to treat diabetes, but I think that it is a drug that needs to be customized for each individual and this takes time and is best explained by a doctor, nurse and diabetes educators. If you are new to insulin, do some research on the use and how to make the most out of the regimen you are on.

I totally agree. I've been searching online looking for places to get reliable information and I found this one link. This company is offering a free online info session discussing the ins and outs of diabetes (health, nutrican, exercise, etc). Best part of all (or at least the reason why I signed up for the free event), you get to ask questions to a real live doctor.

Below is the link. I recommend signing up. Event is on May 11 from 1-2pm est.

To register visit clinilabs dot com slash participate. The link to register should be on the left hand side.

jfolgar is offline  
Old 05-01-2010, 06:48   #13
Senior Member
 
jsntay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Alabama, USA
Posts: 148


1 likes received
Send a message via MSN to jsntay
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfolgar View Post
I totally agree. I've been searching online looking for places to get reliable information and I found this one link. This company is offering a free online info session discussing the ins and outs of diabetes (health, nutrican, exercise, etc). Best part of all (or at least the reason why I signed up for the free event), you get to ask questions to a real live doctor.

Below is the link. I recommend signing up. Event is on May 11 from 1-2pm est.

To register visit clinilabs dot com slash participate. The link to register should be on the left hand side.
Thanks for the link, I just signed up. Kinda sounds like they are looking for people to join clinical labs also. I mean clinical trials lol


Last edited by jsntay; 05-01-2010 at 06:58.
jsntay is offline  
 
Old 05-02-2010, 15:47   #14
Breeze 2 User
Guest
 
Posts: n/a


Default URL Doesn't Work..!!

jfolgar said in part..

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfolgar View Post
To register visit clinilabs dot com slash participate. The link to register should be on the left hand side.
I tried "clinilabs dot com slash participate" as both the URL and also as a Google search and came up with nothing that even closely resembles what you were talking about, so unless there's a different URL address that I don't know about.....

Breeze..2..User

 
Old 05-02-2010, 16:40   #15
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 24,394

Member Type
Type 2
Diagnosed in 2009

23929 likes received
32255 likes given
Default

Ummmm . . . sometimes spelled-out words need to be converted to symbols - words like "dot" and "slash", and the spaces closed up too.

They're only posted spelled out to avoid posting a clickable link which is frowned upon in some forums.




Shanny is offline  
Old 05-02-2010, 16:50   #16
Active Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Utah
Posts: 23


1 likes received
Smile Webinar

Linked worked for me, there is a webinar on Type 2 on May the 11th, I signed up for, so it does work.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanny View Post
Ummmm . . . sometimes spelled-out words need to be converted to symbols - words like "dot" and "slash", and the spaces closed up too.

They're only posted spelled out to avoid posting a clickable link which is frowned upon in some forums.

kooshbal is offline  
Old 05-02-2010, 17:19   #17
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 24,394

Member Type
Type 2
Diagnosed in 2009

23929 likes received
32255 likes given
Default

You doing okay over there, kooshbal? Good to see you.




Shanny is offline  
Old 05-03-2010, 14:41   #18
Active Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: NJ USA
Posts: 11


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanny View Post
You doing okay over there, kooshbal? Good to see you.
Sorry for the confusion. Heres the link to register:

https://www1.gotomeeting.com/register/947633208

jfolgar is offline  
Old 05-06-2010, 14:37   #19
Active Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: South Wales
Posts: 39


Default

I am new to diabetes and unfortunately pested everyone on here with threads on questions which i will have to learn in my life.

What i have noticed is that outside the UK, there seems to be more information and support in relation to diabetes.

When i was diagnosed a few months ago with type 2, all i recieved was badly photocopied leaflets on food and diabetes, and basicly told work it out, get on with it as this is the hand you have been delt with.

On the upside, i'm not knocking the NHS, i do got a free blood testing meter and strips, Metformin and needle insets on free monthly perscription.

I WOULD LIKE TO TAKE THIS TIME IN SAYING BIG THANK YOU TO ALL THE PEOPLE ON HERE, FOR ALL YOUR HELP AND SUPPORT. Thanks x

andrews is offline  
Old 05-06-2010, 14:55   #20
Active Member
 
onaughmae's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Texas, USA
Posts: 1,590

Member Type
Type 2
Diagnosed in 1981

45 likes received
1 likes given
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrews View Post
I am new to diabetes and unfortunately pested everyone on here with threads on questions which i will have to learn in my life.

What i have noticed is that outside the UK, there seems to be more information and support in relation to diabetes.

When i was diagnosed a few months ago with type 2, all i recieved was badly photocopied leaflets on food and diabetes, and basicly told work it out, get on with it as this is the hand you have been delt with.

On the upside, i'm not knocking the NHS, i do got a free blood testing meter and strips, Metformin and needle insets on free monthly perscription.

I WOULD LIKE TO TAKE THIS TIME IN SAYING BIG THANK YOU TO ALL THE PEOPLE ON HERE, FOR ALL YOUR HELP AND SUPPORT. Thanks x
You are very welcome! Thats the great thing about this forum. We all learn from each others experiences. Its great to learn things from your Dr and educators...but its invaluable to be able to learn from people that are living with exactly what you are going through. We have all been there and tried one thing or another and its good to get insight from people with personal experience

__________________
Cheers,
Pam
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Type 2 since age 16
A1c in March 2010 12.6%
current A1c 6.3%

Currently taking:

Metformin 1000mg twice a day
Neurontin 300mg three times a day
Cymbalta 30mg a day
Symlin injections 60 mcg before meals
pumping with the minimed Revel and novalog
Milk Thistle twice a day
Fish oil twice a day
Nexium once a day
onaughmae is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What we should know:vinegar and diabetics irembright Diabetes Forum Lounge 14 07-25-2010 02:50
Newbie, but getting an education real fast ralphrepo New Member Introductions 5 03-13-2010 21:22
Complete lack of knowledge here. suavecarve New Member Introductions 2 11-02-2009 04:25
Isn't everyone DX'd referred to Diabetes Education ? ett Diabetes Treatment 3 07-15-2009 07:39
Camping with Diabetics Karla's Mum Diabetes 1 01-15-2008 03:28

LEGAL NOTICE
By using this Website, you agree to abide by our Terms and Conditions (the "Terms"). This notice does not replace our Terms, which you must read in full as they contain important information. You must not post any defamatory, unlawful or undesirable content, or any content copied from a third party, on the Website. You must not copy material from the Website except in accordance with the Terms. This Website gives users an opportunity to share information only and is not intended to contain any advice which you should rely upon. It does not replace the need to take professional or other advice. We have no liability to you or any other person in respect of any content on this Website.


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 17:05.




Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.