The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online

The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online (https://www.diabetesforum.com/forum.php)
-   Diabetes Forum Lounge (https://www.diabetesforum.com/diabetes-forum-lounge/)
-   -   What are your "magic" foods/ "cursed" foods (https://www.diabetesforum.com/diabetes-forum-lounge/2392-what-your-magic-foods-cursed-foods.html)

kas77 04-27-2010 16:22

What are your "magic" foods/ "cursed" foods
 
I am curious to know if others have found some of the same foods helpful/harmful as I have. I thought it might be useful when trying to figure out what kinds of foods to choose/avoid when just starting to learn how to manage diabetes.

As for mine: I would have to say that tofu is definitely a magic food for me. It seems to have a drastic effect on stabilizing my blood sugar in spite of anything else I have eaten that day.

Pizza is a food I should avoid no matter what kind of crust or toppings I choose for it. I choose whole wheat crust and load it up with veggies and cheese on it for protein and it still makes my blood sugar go way up.

Maybe it's the tomato paste, never thought of that until now, but it's probably loaded with refined sugar. How do tomatoes rate on the glycemic index?

onaughmae 04-27-2010 19:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by kas77 (Post 11136)
I am curious to know if others have found some of the same foods helpful/harmful as I have. I thought it might be useful when trying to figure out what kinds of foods to choose/avoid when just starting to learn how to manage diabetes.

As for mine: I would have to say that tofu is definitely a magic food for me. It seems to have a drastic effect on stabilizing my blood sugar in spite of anything else I have eaten that day.

Pizza is a food I should avoid no matter what kind of crust or toppings I choose for it. I choose whole wheat crust and load it up with veggies and cheese on it for protein and it still makes my blood sugar go way up.

Maybe it's the tomato paste, never thought of that until now, but it's probably loaded with refined sugar. How do tomatoes rate on the glycemic index?


Pizza is pretty devastating to most of us. It is heavy on carbs. Even if you get it made with whole wheat...it is still very carby. It will usually raise my blood sugar and keep it high for a long time. My CDE actually told me my "homework" for this week is to try eating a piece of pizza to see if I know how to cover it with my pump...I havent tried it yet...still too chicken!

kas77 04-27-2010 19:45

I had suspicions I wouldn't be alone on that one. I don't think I can live without pizza though. It is my favourite food. Is there any way to make it better?

Shanny 04-27-2010 19:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by kas77 (Post 11160)
I had suspicions I wouldn't be alone on that one. I don't think I can live without pizza though. It is my favourite food. Is there any way to make it better?

All I can suggest to continue eating your pizza is to just eat the toppings. It's the crust that wrecks your BGs. Just load it up with meat & cheese - forget all the veggies for this particular project. Concentrate on the meats & cheeses, olives, mushrooms, etc. And then don't eat the crust.

My magic food is cheese, made into cheese crisps. They don't require refrigeration once they're baked (store in an airtight container), the calorie count drops about half since much of the fat renders out during the baking, and they are downright double-delicious! I can eat them all day long and never budge my BG.




breezeonby 04-27-2010 19:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by kas77 (Post 11136)
I am curious to know if others have found some of the same foods helpful/harmful as I have. I thought it might be useful when trying to figure out what kinds of foods to choose/avoid when just starting to learn how to manage diabetes.

As for mine: I would have to say that tofu is definitely a magic food for me. It seems to have a drastic effect on stabilizing my blood sugar in spite of anything else I have eaten that day.

Pizza is a food I should avoid no matter what kind of crust or toppings I choose for it. I choose whole wheat crust and load it up with veggies and cheese on it for protein and it still makes my blood sugar go way up.

Maybe it's the tomato paste, never thought of that until now, but it's probably loaded with refined sugar. How do tomatoes rate on the glycemic index?

I don't eat pizza that often, but I really don't have much of a problem eating it. I do know that pizza and spaghetti sauce can contain sugar and corn syrup. You might want to make your own sauce and start with tomato sauce and add some spices.

kas77 04-27-2010 19:59

MMMMMMM! That recipe sounds delicious. My grandmother makes something similar and I love it, but could never get it right. I may just have to go make some of these right now!

As for not eating the crust, sometimes when I am having a pizza craving I just cut up some tomatoes, garlic, olives and cheese and microwave it. I guess it's not the crust I want anyway. But i love the veggies on it and am not a big meat fan.

kas77 04-27-2010 20:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by breezeonby (Post 11163)
I don't eat pizza that often, but I really don't have much of a problem eating it. I do know that pizza and spaghetti sauce can contain sugar and corn syrup. You might want to make your own sauce and start with tomato sauce and add some spices.

Or maybe I could just skip the sauce all together. I had a spinach pizza with garlic butter instead of tomato sauce, but I didn't check my blood sugar after I ate that. I am curious now if it is the crust or the sauce that is the bigger problem. How can whole wheat, thin crust be much worse than eating whole wheat bread?

Shanny 04-28-2010 00:56

Anything containing grain spikes my BG. Doesn't matter if it's whole wheat, meal, steel cut oats or what. I get a spike from grains. B'lieve me, I've tried because I dearly love bread, and have baked my own all my life. I'm still working on trying to develop a bread that doesn't spike me, but it's still on the drawing board. I can handle tomatoes a lot better than I can handle whole wheat.




kas77 04-28-2010 01:04

Interesting. I am like that in the morning, but can handle most grains later on in the day. If i have grains in the morning my readings are high all day.

KarenBC 04-28-2010 16:40

If I don't have walnuts in my morning oatmeal or cold cereal I'll get a spike that takes awhile to get back down.
But add 2 tbsp of walnuts (for 1/2 cup dry oatmeal) and do 20 mins on the treadmill and I'm right as rain 2 hours later.


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 07:59.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.