The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online

The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online (https://www.diabetesforum.com/forum.php)
-   Diabetes Forum Lounge (https://www.diabetesforum.com/diabetes-forum-lounge/)
-   -   Do You Have Diabetic Evny ?!?!? (https://www.diabetesforum.com/diabetes-forum-lounge/2856-do-you-have-diabetic-evny.html)

righteousdude2 07-06-2010 01:00

Do You Have Diabetic Evny ?!?!?
 
I run into more and more folks who, like myself, are diabetic. And to me, it sure seems that this disease is affecting more people than I can ever remember as I look back at my youth (I'm currently 63).

The thing that often moves my heart to the brink of envy, is when I find someone who is diabetic, and only using Metformin.

And, what's even more mind blowing to me is that these folks don't follow a tight, or, even close to tight diet. They don't exercise. They eat everything they want and crave, while I've either had to give those things up, completely, or, eat in moderation. Some even continue to use alcohol. "Lucky !!!"

And here stands I... a person diagnosed in 1995 with T-2. I went to the classes. Took out subscriptions to Diabetic magazines. Followed the diet quite closely. I never drank, so I didn't have to give that up. And, due to an injury and the rapid progression of degenerative disc disease, I need an emergency Decompression and Laminectomy surgery in 1991, with a fusion of L-2 through S-1, and hardware attached and still in place. Because of my DDD and surgery, I was already exercising 3 to 4 days a week, for about 90 minutes a day. And my diagnoses with diabetes, caused me to add 2 more days a week to my exercise regimen.

Like those who I run into with diabetes, I too, started out on Metformin, added Glypizide, and in 1999, insulin was added. Today, I remain on a smaller dose of Metformin, regular doses of Novolog (prior to meals) and Lantus at bedtime. I exercise no less than 50 minutes a day, 6 days a week.

The problem is, I also have neuropathy, which was diagnosed in
1998, and it is rapidly progressing from my feet, ankles and calves to my hands.

For the last five years, my kidneys have regressed to stage 3 renal failure, and I fight blood pressure, triglycerides, etc.

So, when I run into these folks who "take only Metformin" and eat what they want, and the only exercise they get is walking to the kitchen numerous times each night for snacks, and going to restaurants and eating whatsoever their little hearts desire, drives me crazy, pushing me toward the brink of medical envy.

You don't know how many times a week I run into these people and just wish I could have their body.

You'll never know how many times I cry out to God, telling Him that this just isn't fair, but, it is, what it is, and there's nothing I can do to change the hand I've been dealt in life.

This disease is much like a tornado that bears down with every bit of power it can muster up, destroying almost everything in its path.

Having spent 6 years in the mid-West, I became a student of tornadoes out of necessity and the drive to survive when those sirens went off. There was one thing that never ceased to amaze me when I surveyed the destruction of a tornado, and it was how that twister could touch down here and not there. With its indiscriminate funnel, I was amazed to see how that twister would take a house over there, but, leave one untouched right next to it. The ability of a tornado to hit, skip and miss was an anomaly of nature.

In a way, Diabetes is something like a tornado. It comes into our lives, bearing down and delivering to some of us more medical issues and problems than it does others, who have the same disease.

I guess this is the nature of this monstrous disease. And while it would be easy to be angry and filled with envy when I come across someone who is only taking Metformin, sometimes for 10 to 20 years, I must remain thankful for the fact that as bad as my diabetes is, and the subsequent physical consequences are, there are others worse off than me. And, for that, I remain thankful.

This disease, like any other disease to our human bodies, are subject to the indiscriminate impact it has one each individual. For instance, Cancer will kill one, and another can be healed from the very same cancer.

Diabetes is going to have a more devastating impact on some us, than it has on others. As my wife says to me when I dwell too long on a negative thought, or, issue, "Get over it, and move on!"

Shalom,

Pastor Paul

breezeonby 07-06-2010 01:56

This was a good post Paul! When I am with my sister, I often think how lucky she has been to dodge the diabetes bullet, so far. All I have ever heard was that diabetes tends to skip generations and like playing duck, duck, goose, I am it! I miss the days when I didn't have to watch what I put in my mouth. To sit and dwell on it does no good, we can't change it. We just have to manage the disease the best we can. As I sit here typing on my computer, my Mom is eating a candy bar and doesn't have to worry about what it will do to her blood sugar. :( Does not seem fair....but life goes on.

righteousdude2 07-06-2010 02:03

That Chocolate Bar Made Me....
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by breezeonby (Post 14849)
This was a good post Paul! When I am with my sister, I often think how lucky she has been to dodge the diabetes bullet, so far. All I have ever heard was that diabetes tends to skip generations and like playing duck, duck, goose, I am it! I miss the days when I didn't have to watch what I put in my mouth. To sit and dwell on it does no good, we can't change it. We just have to manage the disease the best we can. As I sit here typing on my computer, my Mom is eating a candy bar and doesn't have to worry about what it will do to her blood sugar. :( Does not seem fair....but life goes on.

.... drool :hungry: with envy. Life isn't fair, but, we know that all too well. BUT, don't try to take the bar away from her. Just ignore it, and how good you remember it tasting once it hit your tongues taste buds. :boxing: fight the urge, and let me know that you won. :D

Lots of Love Back to You,

Pastor paul

Shanny 07-06-2010 02:45

I didn't know how lucky I am . . . my everlovin' husband gets to eat what I eat! Right down to the strawberries sweetened with erythritol and sucralose! heehee! (and he usually doesn't know the difference . . . ;))

But I will caution you, Paul, about assuming we patients on "only metformin" can eat anything we want. It just ain't so, brother. I haven't eaten a potato or a slice of hot sourdough bread in over a year, nor will I - for the rest of my mortal life.




righteousdude2 07-06-2010 05:27

Gotha....
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shanny (Post 14855)
I didn't know how lucky I am . . . my everlovin' husband gets to eat what I eat! Right down to the strawberries sweetened with erythritol and sucralose! heehee! (and he usually doesn't know the difference . . . ;))

But I will caution you, Paul, about assuming we patients on "only metformin" can eat anything we want. It just ain't so, brother. I haven't eaten a potato or a slice of hot sourdough bread in over a year, nor will I - for the rest of my mortal life.

I figured you were a good patient... but, there are many who are not, and I've ran intoa view of them. :yuck:

ThoseBackPages 07-06-2010 09:03

Great post!

i am a met "only" taker, but strict dieter and walker

onaughmae 07-06-2010 11:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by righteousdude2 (Post 14846)
I run into more and more folks who, like myself, are diabetic. And to me, it sure seems that this disease is affecting more people than I can ever remember as I look back at my youth (I'm currently 63).

The thing that often moves my heart to the brink of envy, is when I find someone who is diabetic, and only using Metformin.

And, what's even more mind blowing to me is that these folks don't follow a tight, or, even close to tight diet. They don't exercise. They eat everything they want and crave, while I've either had to give those things up, completely, or, eat in moderation. Some even continue to use alcohol. "Lucky !!!"

Pastor Paul

I dont know that I really ever think "lucky"---I usually think more often "unfortunate." For the person that is taking metformin only and still eating whatever they want, whenever they want, they are usually just fooling themselves into complacency. Even if they are managing to have an *OK* A1c and FBS, chances are that they are having extended periods of elevated post prandial blood sugars that are (for now) silently ticking away at their eyes, nervous system, cardiovascular system, renal system, etc...not to mention over working an already over burdened pancreas. One day they may suddenly realize that they have all these complications and maybe even are struck with a pancreas that has just given out. I am a walking example of this.

For years I just took my medicine and then ate whatever I wanted. As long as I took my medicine, I was fine....right? I was diagnosed T2 at a very young age...I was only 16. I thought I was ok....I didnt have the *bad* kind of diabetes, afterall. Of course, years later I was hit with neuropathy, macular edema in both eyes ( I am going this morning for laser on my right eye actually) and a pancreas that finally gave up the ghost. My poor over burdened beta cells finally told me that they were done playing this game. I am now at point where I dont even produce enough insulin on my own to cover my basic basal needs.

I have often wondered, if I had taken better care of myself earlier, would I be in this situation now? No idea....I could have still had the complications I have....my pancreas could have eventually failed anyway...but it is more likely that it would have been a better outcome.

So, for any of those "metformin only and eat whatever you want" diabetics out there....learn from my (and many others) mistakes...you really arent *fiine as long as you take your pill* and you really *do* have the *bad kind of diabetes*. There is no such thing as a good kind of diabetes. No matter what type you are....its all serious and should be taken seriously in how you manage it.

righteousdude2 07-07-2010 00:48

Thanks....
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by onaughmae (Post 14884)
I dont know that I really ever think "lucky"---I usually think more often "unfortunate." For the person that is taking metformin only and still eating whatever they want, whenever they want, they are usually just fooling themselves into complacency. Even if they are managing to have an *OK* A1c and FBS, chances are that they are having extended periods of elevated post prandial blood sugars that are (for now) silently ticking away at their eyes, nervous system, cardiovascular system, renal system, etc...not to mention over working an already over burdened pancreas. One day they may suddenly realize that they have all these complications and maybe even are struck with a pancreas that has just given out. I am a walking example of this.

For years I just took my medicine and then ate whatever I wanted. As long as I took my medicine, I was fine....right? I was diagnosed T2 at a very young age...I was only 16. I thought I was ok....I didnt have the *bad* kind of diabetes, afterall. Of course, years later I was hit with neuropathy, macular edema in both eyes ( I am going this morning for laser on my right eye actually) and a pancreas that finally gave up the ghost. My poor over burdened beta cells finally told me that they were done playing this game. I am now at point where I dont even produce enough insulin on my own to cover my basic basal needs.

I have often wondered, if I had taken better care of myself earlier, would I be in this situation now? No idea....I could have still had the complications I have....my pancreas could have eventually failed anyway...but it is more likely that it would have been a better outcome.

So, for any of those "metformin only and eat whatever you want" diabetics out there....learn from my (and many others) mistakes...you really arent *fiine as long as you take your pill* and you really *do* have the *bad kind of diabetes*. There is no such thing as a good kind of diabetes. No matter what type you are....its all serious and should be taken seriously in how you manage it.

That was a great testimony to those who take Metformin and blow off taking care of their diabetes. Thanks for your words of warning and wisdom "onaughmae", you are a true warrior for the cause.

psdaengr 07-07-2010 02:57

No, when I see people who have type 2, I feel pity, not envy, because so few of them are managing any aspect of their health well.

I also feel anger, because in most cases, what is called type 2 diabetes is a predictable and reversible consequence of an unhealthy lifestyle.

When you have type 1, you know it, and you can't ignore it. Once the shock disappates, you find that here are a lot of tools at your disposal, tools that you can use to monitor and manage your health. Insulin, syringes, BG metering and A1C tests become a small part of your everyday life, and if you work with your HC team, you can live a "normal" life.

The motto for type 2's should be "Ask your doctor about how long you can expect to live if you don't accept personal responsibility".

Unfortunately type 2s are treated just like those with high BP or cholestrol issues. Instead of making it clear to those who have these diseases that their lives are in their own hands, quacks and alchemists "manage" the disease with multiple pharmaceuticals - medications that force the body to do things it wasn't designed to do. Instead of motivating patients with lifestyle diseases to change their lifestyles, they make them junkies.

Ironically, the mortality statistics for persons with unmanaged diabetes have been used as the "rationale" for dening personal major medical coverage to persons with type 1- while type 2's are accepted. The consequence has been that type 2 diabetes is perpetuated, more junkies are being hooked on Metformin and other diabetes drugs, while those with type 1 diabetes have been denied economic access to the resources needed to economically keep their disease under control.

breezeonby 07-07-2010 05:01

I have T2 diabetes and take both insulin and oral medications. My pancreas does not function properly. I don't consider myself a junkie. Not taking any medication would certainly send me to an early grave. Do you have diabetes? If so, T1 or T2? Having T2 diabetes is not something to be ashamed of and it is a real medical condition. It is not merely an issue of neglect to ones body.


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 08:53.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.