Goofy Doctor Again

Go Back   The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online > Diabetes Forum Start Here > Diabetes Forum Lounge

Diabetes Forum Lounge The Diabetes Forum lounge is the more social area of the community. Please feel free to drop in, and discuss anything thatís on your mind. Use this area for off topic discussions, making friends and being social.


Goofy Doctor Again


Closed Thread
 
Shared Thread Thread Tools
Old 06-30-2011, 22:03   #1
Senior Member
 
bigrosiegreenbaum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Philadelphia, PA United States
Posts: 609

Member Type
Type 2
Diagnosed in April Fools' Day 2011

71 likes received
Default Goofy Doctor Again

Hey guys,

Going for my first A1C since dx tomorrow, however I looked at the script my doctor wrote and it's only for the A1C, not for the other panels for cholesterol, etc. When I asked her about getting it done, she said she doesn't think it's that important. This woman is driving me batty.

What are some of the other tests you guys get done at the same time with your A1C? She's supposed to call me back in an hour....

bigrosiegreenbaum is offline  
Old 06-30-2011, 22:29   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 24,394

Member Type
Type 2
Diagnosed in 2009

23929 likes received
32255 likes given
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigrosiegreenbaum View Post
Hey guys,

Going for my first A1C since dx tomorrow, however I looked at the script my doctor wrote and it's only for the A1C, not for the other panels for cholesterol, etc. When I asked her about getting it done, she said she doesn't think it's that important. This woman is driving me batty.

What are some of the other tests you guys get done at the same time with your A1C? She's supposed to call me back in an hour....
My doc always orders basic metabolic panel (BMP), lipids panel (cholesterol etc), thyroid stimulating hormone (TSH), but I'm OLD, Rosie - maybe you don't need those done quite so often.




Shanny is offline  
Old 06-30-2011, 22:41   #3
Senior Member
 
bigrosiegreenbaum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Philadelphia, PA United States
Posts: 609

Member Type
Type 2
Diagnosed in April Fools' Day 2011

71 likes received
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanny View Post
My doc always orders basic metabolic panel (BMP), lipids panel (cholesterol etc), thyroid stimulating hormone (TSH), but I'm OLD, Rosie - maybe you don't need those done quite so often.
Well, I just talked to her and she said there's no reason to do lipids every three months. Then I asked her to read my numbers from my dx - HDL was 36 and LDL was 126, which she said was slightly elevated. So I said to her 'You know I have bacon and eggs every morning now, so why wouldn't you want to know if my bad cholesterol is worse?' Remember, she told me to 'stop eating like that'. She's going to call me back to tell me if she'll order it now. I swear, it's like pulling teeth....

bigrosiegreenbaum is offline  
 
Old 06-30-2011, 22:51   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 24,394

Member Type
Type 2
Diagnosed in 2009

23929 likes received
32255 likes given
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigrosiegreenbaum View Post
Well, I just talked to her and she said there's no reason to do lipids every three months. Then I asked her to read my numbers from my dx - HDL was 36 and LDL was 126, which she said was slightly elevated. So I said to her 'You know I have bacon and eggs every morning now, so why wouldn't you want to know if my bad cholesterol is worse?' Remember, she told me to 'stop eating like that'. She's going to call me back to tell me if she'll order it now. I swear, it's like pulling teeth....
It's true, though . . . these other tests normally are done annually. Even the A1c stretched out to 6-month intervals after I got rolling.




Shanny is offline  
Old 06-30-2011, 22:52   #5
Senior Member
 
bigrosiegreenbaum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Philadelphia, PA United States
Posts: 609

Member Type
Type 2
Diagnosed in April Fools' Day 2011

71 likes received
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanny View Post
It's true, though . . . these other tests normally are done annually. Even the A1c stretched out to 6-month intervals after I got rolling.
Aaah, didn't know that

bigrosiegreenbaum is offline  
Old 06-30-2011, 23:12   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Canada
Posts: 76

Member Type
Type Undiagnosed
Diagnosed in 2011

12 likes received
Default

My doc also only does lipids, etc. on an annual or sometimes bi-annual basis. He also said it is not necessary every three months. But he does the A1C every three months to keep track. Actually, since the 1st of May, he has done my A1C twice to see how things are doing. He will do another one in July just because, but says we don't need to do the rest as often. He does do a CBC and electrolytes, as well.

SandraO is offline  
Old 06-30-2011, 23:14   #7
Senior Member
 
bigrosiegreenbaum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Philadelphia, PA United States
Posts: 609

Member Type
Type 2
Diagnosed in April Fools' Day 2011

71 likes received
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandraO View Post
My doc also only does lipids, etc. on an annual or sometimes bi-annual basis. He also said it is not necessary every three months. But he does the A1C every three months to keep track. Actually, since the 1st of May, he has done my A1C twice to see how things are doing. He will do another one in July just because, but says we don't need to do the rest as often. He does do a CBC and electrolytes, as well.
Just talked to Dr. Evil and she's ordering the lipids and a kidney test, but she did confirm what Shanny said about doing it once a year.

bigrosiegreenbaum is offline  
Old 07-01-2011, 02:19   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: North East Ohio, USA
Posts: 4,368

Member Type
Type 2
Diagnosed in 2007

1790 likes received
1507 likes given
Default

I actually only do the HbA1c and the Lipid tests once every year or so. Since with my insurance I have to pay 100% my doctor lets me do the home HbA1c tests and he said lipids don't change that quickly. Everytime I do complete labs it costs me close to $500.

__________________
diagnosed Feb 2007
metformin-2550
low carb organic diet
3 T of Coconut Oil daily
moderate exercise- mostly walking 3-5 miles, tennis - 4 hours per week, weight training, hiking on weekends and vacations 7-10 miles

HbA1c 5.3 3/11
HbA1c 6.1 5/12

Age 62
jwags is offline  
Old 07-01-2011, 04:09   #9
Moderator
 
moon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 6,099

Member Type
Type 2
Diagnosed in 2011

5772 likes received
3392 likes given
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwags View Post
Everytime I do complete labs it costs me close to $500.
I don't know what tests you get, but you might check if there's a lab close to where you live Online Medical Lab Tests | Blood Tests | Locate a Lab - Find the Nearest LabTesting Facility and if yes, check out the pricing of tests here: Online Medical Lab Tests | Blood Tests | Browse

Examples:
A1C plus lipid = $40
CMP = $20

__________________
Dx'ed Feb 2011 w/ BS > 600
A1C: . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Other Stuff
2/13/11 .. 14.7 . . . . . . Trig/HDL ratio .. 5.5 to 2.2 in 6 mo
5/23/11 .. 6.2 . . . . . . . Low-carb/high healthy-fat diet
9/8/11 .... 5.6 . . . . . . . No meds, No statin
2/24/16 .... basal/bolus insulin 2-3 days/wk due to steroids

moon is online now  
Old 07-01-2011, 07:09   #10
Senior Member
 
Shalynne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, USA
Posts: 5,399

Member Type
Type 2
Diagnosed in 2011 (on insulin)

6972 likes received
5382 likes given
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigrosiegreenbaum View Post
Hey guys,

Going for my first A1C since dx tomorrow, however I looked at the script my doctor wrote and it's only for the A1C, not for the other panels for cholesterol, etc. When I asked her about getting it done, she said she doesn't think it's that important. This woman is driving me batty.

What are some of the other tests you guys get done at the same time with your A1C? She's supposed to call me back in an hour....
My goofy doc, on the other hand, has lost interest in the diabetes stuff and will not do a full lipid panel. She's interested in LDLs, period.

Best of luck (more like, seeing the results of a lot of hard work) on your A1c!

__________________
DX'd April Fool's Day, 2011 - T2
Female, 58, 5'7", 150 lbs.
A1C 13.5 -> 6.7 ->5.4 (1/31/14)
MEDS:
Humulin-N (basal) - Humalog (rapid bolus)
MAGIC POTIONS:
Biotin --10,000mcg (for hair health)
B-complex
One-A-Day Women's 50+ Advantage
KyoDophilus (pro-biotic)
LIFE SUPPORT:
Black Coffee - Unsweetened Iced Tea
Low-Carb, High-Fat Convert
Shalynne is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Goofy Numbers Craig Diabetes 4 02-27-2011 01:40
Goofy sugar phobia ... foxl Diabetes 1 02-24-2011 03:19
Goofy little quirks thcri Diabetes 4 12-24-2010 23:05
Doctor says im hypoglycemic, but ? locoboy Diabetes Symptoms 20 04-17-2010 04:55

LEGAL NOTICE
By using this Website, you agree to abide by our Terms and Conditions (the "Terms"). This notice does not replace our Terms, which you must read in full as they contain important information. You must not post any defamatory, unlawful or undesirable content, or any content copied from a third party, on the Website. You must not copy material from the Website except in accordance with the Terms. This Website gives users an opportunity to share information only and is not intended to contain any advice which you should rely upon. It does not replace the need to take professional or other advice. We have no liability to you or any other person in respect of any content on this Website.


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 20:27.




Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.