Went to a New Doctor

Go Back   The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online > Diabetes Forum Start Here > Diabetes Forum Lounge

Diabetes Forum Lounge The Diabetes Forum lounge is the more social area of the community. Please feel free to drop in, and discuss anything that’s on your mind. Use this area for off topic discussions, making friends and being social.


Like Tree18Likes
  • 1 Post By alamogirl
  • 4 Post By hftmrock
  • 4 Post By itissteve
  • 3 Post By Cricket
  • 2 Post By Patches
  • 3 Post By hftmrock
  • 1 Post By alamogirl

Went to a New Doctor


Closed Thread
 
Shared Thread Thread Tools
Old 01-31-2018, 22:25   #1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: TX
Posts: 930

Member Type
Type 2
Diagnosed in 2017

962 likes received
1227 likes given
Default Went to a New Doctor

So my regular PCP has been in the process of moving into a brand new clinic (built from ground up). He will start seeing patients on 1 Feb. In the meantime, I've had to see an interim doctor for my Met script. I showed her my BG log. She asked me if I've been feeling sick. I told her that I've been feeling great. Then she asked me why I had been keeping a log of my BG. I told her that my PCP recommended I do that, plus, I also wanted to know how new foods affected my sugar.

Are you ready for this? She said there was no need to check my sugar everyday. She said to check my sugar only if I feel sick. While she agreed that my fasting BG should be under 120, she said that the ADA recommends that I keep my sugar under 180. I told her that I was not following the ADA, and that I'm striving to keep sugar under 140 and possibly lower.

Anyway, I scheduled a follow up appointment in Apr with interim doc. About 2 days later, I rec'd a text letting me know that there was a scheduling conflict and for me to call for a reschedule. I'm taking that as a sign and going back to my regular PCP.

skypeace likes this.
__________________
4 Apr 19:
A1C: 5.8
Cholesterol: 155
Crestor 5mg
Metformin 1000mg
BP: Cozaar 50mg
LC/HF

Wishing y'all Peace & Love!
alamogirl is online now  
Old 01-31-2018, 22:57   #2
Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: USA
Posts: 1,109

Member Type
Type 2
Diagnosed in 2016

819 likes received
461 likes given
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by alamogirl View Post
So my regular PCP has been in the process of moving into a brand new clinic (built from ground up). He will start seeing patients on 1 Feb. In the meantime, I've had to see an interim doctor for my Met script. I showed her my BG log. She asked me if I've been feeling sick. I told her that I've been feeling great. Then she asked me why I had been keeping a log of my BG. I told her that my PCP recommended I do that, plus, I also wanted to know how new foods affected my sugar.

Are you ready for this? She said there was no need to check my sugar everyday. She said to check my sugar only if I feel sick. While she agreed that my fasting BG should be under 120, she said that the ADA recommends that I keep my sugar under 180. I told her that I was not following the ADA, and that I'm striving to keep sugar under 140 and possibly lower.

Anyway, I scheduled a follow up appointment in Apr with interim doc. About 2 days later, I rec'd a text letting me know that there was a scheduling conflict and for me to call for a reschedule. I'm taking that as a sign and going back to my regular PCP.
time to make the dinosaur's go extinct!

Find a better doctor!

__________________
Here are some good starting points to read

Blood Sugar 101 - VERY informative and accurate
http://www.diabetesforum.com/diabete...ng-method.html a tried and true testing method
https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb lists foods for LCHF

""You take the blue pill, the story ends. You wake up in your bed and believe whatever the doctors want you to believe. You take the red pill, you stay in Wonderland, and I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes." "
hftmrock is online now  
Old 01-31-2018, 23:20   #3
Moderator
 
itissteve's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Minnesota, USA
Posts: 1,410

Member Type
Type 2
Diagnosed in 2011

1048 likes received
441 likes given
Default

If you don't test every morning, how do you know what your FBG is? Me, I really can't tell the difference between a FBG of 95 and a FBG of 140 -- and I've had both. And 180? Please tell me she did not recommend leeches for any other illnesses you may have had. Archaic....

itissteve is offline  
 
Old 02-01-2018, 02:38   #4
Administrator
 
Cricket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,954

Member Type
Type 2
Diagnosed in July 2012

1853 likes received
1641 likes given
Default

I really don't like doctors (Don't get me started!) but I almost have this one trained to just let me do my thing and give me my blood test results.

etherea, alamogirl and skypeace like this.
__________________
“No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted.” Aesop
Cricket is offline  
Old 02-01-2018, 03:36   #5
Active Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 29

Member Type
Type Pre
Diagnosed in 2009

33 likes received
18 likes given
Default

Got to love all the misinformation out there between the medical profession. I too have had conflicting information give me...not only on diabetes but on cholesterol, whether I need heart meds and exactly what diabetes will do to me if I don't control it.

So glad you are going back to your regular doctor. Better to be safe than sorry.

alamogirl and skypeace like this.
Patches is offline  
Old 02-01-2018, 03:50   #6
Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: USA
Posts: 1,109

Member Type
Type 2
Diagnosed in 2016

819 likes received
461 likes given
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patches View Post
Got to love all the misinformation out there between the medical profession. I too have had conflicting information give me...not only on diabetes but on cholesterol, whether I need heart meds and exactly what diabetes will do to me if I don't control it.

So glad you are going back to your regular doctor. Better to be safe than sorry.
a piece of this caught my eye

exactly what diabetes will do to me if I don't control it

I have found doctors to be pretty accurate in saying what will happen if you dont control it.

What are you hearing that you consider misinformation?

Cricket, skypeace and Patches like this.
__________________
Here are some good starting points to read

Blood Sugar 101 - VERY informative and accurate
http://www.diabetesforum.com/diabete...ng-method.html a tried and true testing method
https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb lists foods for LCHF

""You take the blue pill, the story ends. You wake up in your bed and believe whatever the doctors want you to believe. You take the red pill, you stay in Wonderland, and I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes." "
hftmrock is online now  
Old 02-01-2018, 21:57   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: TX
Posts: 930

Member Type
Type 2
Diagnosed in 2017

962 likes received
1227 likes given
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by itissteve View Post
If you don't test every morning, how do you know what your FBG is? Me, I really can't tell the difference between a FBG of 95 and a FBG of 140 -- and I've had both. And 180? Please tell me she did not recommend leeches for any other illnesses you may have had. Archaic....
Exactly! LOL...no, she didn't recommend leeches .

itissteve likes this.
__________________
4 Apr 19:
A1C: 5.8
Cholesterol: 155
Crestor 5mg
Metformin 1000mg
BP: Cozaar 50mg
LC/HF

Wishing y'all Peace & Love!
alamogirl is online now  
Old 02-03-2018, 16:35   #8
Active Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 29

Member Type
Type Pre
Diagnosed in 2009

33 likes received
18 likes given
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hftmrock View Post
a piece of this caught my eye

exactly what diabetes will do to me if I don't control it

I have found doctors to be pretty accurate in saying what will happen if you dont control it.

What are you hearing that you consider misinformation?
Depends on the doctor involved. Many times doctors will ignore testing patients at all. If and when they do some don't put much importance to it. I have run into both types...ones that say my body will disintegrate if I don't control it to ones who could care less. I applaud pro-active doctors who try to help but sadly for some people they run into the other kind.

Patches is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
doctor jameshendrix Diabetes Forum Lounge 13 03-19-2014 12:17
What should I do if I can't go to the doctor? sweetypie Diabetes Treatment 24 01-26-2014 15:09
Do I need a new Doctor? ragemore New Member Introductions 17 01-11-2014 15:42
What do you tell the doctor.... Lavenderblue Diabetes Forum Lounge 14 12-26-2013 14:25
What my doctor said.... carbcrazydog Diabetes 8 04-08-2013 09:10

LEGAL NOTICE
By using this Website, you agree to abide by our Terms and Conditions (the "Terms"). This notice does not replace our Terms, which you must read in full as they contain important information. You must not post any defamatory, unlawful or undesirable content, or any content copied from a third party, on the Website. You must not copy material from the Website except in accordance with the Terms. This Website gives users an opportunity to share information only and is not intended to contain any advice which you should rely upon. It does not replace the need to take professional or other advice. We have no liability to you or any other person in respect of any content on this Website.


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 01:46.




Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.