Glucometer Recycling Service

Go Back   The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online > Diabetes Forum Start Here > Diabetes News

Diabetes News The Diabetes News section is a place to share any new stories or information you have come across related to Diabetes for the rest of the forum to share and discuss. If you have seen or read about new medication, diabetes treatments, medical breakthroughs or any interesting stories of personal interest then please post and discuss them here. From time to time we will take some of the Diabetes News stories from this section and write them up in our Diabetes Blog.


Glucometer Recycling Service


Closed Thread
 
Shared Thread Thread Tools
Old 05-24-2009, 00:49   #1
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 14


Default Glucometer Recycling Service

I've had type 1 diabetes for about 12 years and have worked in the electronic waste recycling industry for the past 3 years.

It never ceases to amaze me how much waste we as people with diabetes produce - from sharps and test strips to the glucometer itself.

I was recently laid off from an eRecycler and decided to do something about this problem. I did some research and found that there are virtually no recycling options out there for people to recycle their old glucometers.

If you have an old glucometer and would like to have it recycled to prevent polluting our environment, please visit my website to learn how you can participate - Med eWaste Recycling: Glucometer Recycling.

Unfortunately I can't process old glucometers for free because they have to be sterilized prior to dissassembly but if you'd like to help me make a difference and divert some of the estimated 25,000,000 glucometers in North America from the landfill I would really appreciate your help - I know future generations will appreciate not having biohazards in the landfill too!!

If I can work with a manufacturer or pharmacy at some point (Wal Mart, Shopper's or London Drugs?) who will assist in covering the cost of sterilizing the glucometers, it is my hope that this service will be extended at no cost to all people with diabetes.

Pat Hebert
Med eWaste Recycling

Patrick Hebert is offline  
Old 05-24-2009, 03:05   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Ontario Canada
Posts: 1,077

Diagnosed in 1961-now 50+ years with Diabetes

23 likes received
Default

It's not the Customers who make these products, it's the companies. It should be up to them to be responsible for take-back of all the products that they create that are not recycleable. There are take-back programs for some appliances and other products. Only a small start.

All the product wrappers and containers which cannot be recycled should be banned and should not have been allowed in the first place. Most of this garbage is not necessary. The Governments are in the position to make the ruling to do this but usually say nothing. The People are allowed to bring this forth to the Government and some have. But that also is not near enough yet.

Good luck with that one. So many Diabetics say that they can't afford their medications and strips for Diabetes and other conditions.
They've been complaining for years about the cost of meters, now the strips. I doubt many will pay to get rid of the meter when they ca give it to someone else or just toss it..

__________________
***Life Is A Highway.......T.C.
Terrie is offline  
Old 05-24-2009, 03:13   #3
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 14


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrie View Post
It's not the Customers who make these products, it's the companies. It should be up to them to be responsible for take-back of all the products that they create that are not recycleable. There are take-back programs for some appliances and other products. Only a small start.

All the product wrappers and containers which cannot be recycled should be banned and should not have been allowed in the first place. Most of this garbage is not necessary. The Governments are in the position to make the ruling to do this but usually say nothing. The People are allowed to bring this forth to the Government and some have. But that also is not near enough yet.

Good luck with that one. So many Diabetics say that they can't afford their medications and strips for Diabetes and other conditions.
They've been complaining for years about the cost of meters, now the strips. I doubt many will pay to get rid of the meter when they ca give it to someone else or just toss it..
I agree with you Terrie

It should be up to Johnson & Johnson, Bayer & all the rest of them to cover proper disposal & recycling. If I could do it for free I would but the cost of the energy to run the autoclave to sterilize glucometers is up there. If I can find a way to do it more efficiently I will definitely do it for free.

Sadly, we're only just beginning to regulate all the rest of e-waste in Canada - most of the governments think that charging consumers an extra "eco-fee" solves the problem.

Now whoever comes up with a way to recycle strips & deal with the cyanide they contain will be doing society a great service!

Patrick Hebert is offline  
 
Old 05-24-2009, 19:08   #4
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 14


Default Gonna try to do it for free

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Hebert View Post
I agree with you Terrie

It should be up to Johnson & Johnson, Bayer & all the rest of them to cover proper disposal & recycling. If I could do it for free I would but the cost of the energy to run the autoclave to sterilize glucometers is up there. If I can find a way to do it more efficiently I will definitely do it for free.

Sadly, we're only just beginning to regulate all the rest of e-waste in Canada - most of the governments think that charging consumers an extra "eco-fee" solves the problem.

Now whoever comes up with a way to recycle strips & deal with the cyanide they contain will be doing society a great service!
I'm going to try it for free anyways - nothing ventured, nothing gained!! Thanks for the feedback Terrie, I agree that the cost of recycling should be on the pharma companies & not the consumer.

Patrick Hebert is offline  
Old 05-24-2009, 21:08   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Ontario Canada
Posts: 1,077

Diagnosed in 1961-now 50+ years with Diabetes

23 likes received
Default

Hello Patrick:

I do like your ideas and interest in cleaning up this, you may as well call it, toxic mess. I mean, some Scientists and other reseachers are looking for cures for diseases while other People are continually creating and applying these chemicals and elements into their products which cause diseases. Vicious circle and Very disappointing.

Although I do not know about the sterilizing and other processes of recycling at eWaste and similar companies, I give you credit for your caring. Five dollars is a minimal charge but it would cost about $8.00(CAD) to send the meter out.

Perhaps it would be more effective for Diabetics to have a drop-off area for the meters as they do for sharps. I've heard recently, that Our Government, is paying The Salvation Army to accept computers and monitors which are then sent to companies who recycle them. Perhaps you could get in on that program to help in your costs, if you are not already.

__________________
***Life Is A Highway.......T.C.

Last edited by Terrie; 05-24-2009 at 21:11.
Terrie is offline  
Old 07-06-2009, 03:45   #6
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 14


Default Still trying..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrie View Post
Hello Patrick:

I do like your ideas and interest in cleaning up this, you may as well call it, toxic mess. I mean, some Scientists and other reseachers are looking for cures for diseases while other People are continually creating and applying these chemicals and elements into their products which cause diseases. Vicious circle and Very disappointing.

Although I do not know about the sterilizing and other processes of recycling at eWaste and similar companies, I give you credit for your caring. Five dollars is a minimal charge but it would cost about $8.00(CAD) to send the meter out.

Perhaps it would be more effective for Diabetics to have a drop-off area for the meters as they do for sharps. I've heard recently, that Our Government, is paying The Salvation Army to accept computers and monitors which are then sent to companies who recycle them. Perhaps you could get in on that program to help in your costs, if you are not already.
Hi Terrie

Just wanted to let you know that I've contacted Medtronic, Roche, Johnson & Johnson, Shoppers Drug Mart, and a bunch of other companies to try to set up collection points & a program... it's slow going but I think there is enough interest out there to make it possible for people to recycle their old meters. The real challenge is setting it up so that it doesn't cost us diabetics anything to participate.

Patrick Hebert is offline  
Old 08-02-2009, 23:55   #7
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 13


Default

I would love to see this kind of reform as an industry standard in the near future!!! RECYCLE!

PrincessLainie is offline  
Old 08-03-2009, 00:45   #8
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 14


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessLainie View Post
I would love to see this kind of reform as an industry standard in the near future!!! RECYCLE!
Please ask your doctor / diabetes educator about it... I need a job & am passionate about electronic waste diversion... I'm hoping that I can work with some larger organization to make something like this possible but so far none have responded

The rep I spoke to at Johnson & Johnson / Lifescan actually told me that they just throw the meters out & don't recycle anything & weren't interested in doing so

Patrick Hebert is offline  
Old 08-05-2009, 08:03   #9
Active Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 10


Default

i
Pat Hebert

nteresting cuz Mr. Johnson is on TV promoting green,non-toxic, earth friendly,
energy saving,eco concerned etc.etc.etc.

With whom did u speak @ J&J ? Corporate ? PR,Consumer Relations ??

Big Co., many chiefs worth finding the right guy...great idea..U go Pat.....

Im in NJ..J&J are very present here.............

mirmax is offline  
Old 08-05-2009, 15:27   #10
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 14


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirmax View Post
i
Pat Hebert

nteresting cuz Mr. Johnson is on TV promoting green,non-toxic, earth friendly,
energy saving,eco concerned etc.etc.etc.

With whom did u speak @ J&J ? Corporate ? PR,Consumer Relations ??

Big Co., many chiefs worth finding the right guy...great idea..U go Pat.....

Im in NJ..J&J are very present here.............
I spoke to a customer service representative based out of BC, even asked to speak to a supervisor but got the same answer unfortunately.

Patrick Hebert is offline  
Closed Thread

Tags
glucometer, recycling

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


LEGAL NOTICE
By using this Website, you agree to abide by our Terms and Conditions (the "Terms"). This notice does not replace our Terms, which you must read in full as they contain important information. You must not post any defamatory, unlawful or undesirable content, or any content copied from a third party, on the Website. You must not copy material from the Website except in accordance with the Terms. This Website gives users an opportunity to share information only and is not intended to contain any advice which you should rely upon. It does not replace the need to take professional or other advice. We have no liability to you or any other person in respect of any content on this Website.


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 20:15.




Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.