The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online

The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online (https://www.diabetesforum.com/forum.php)
-   Diabetes News (https://www.diabetesforum.com/diabetes-news/)
-   -   150 mile bicycle ride for American Diabetes Association (https://www.diabetesforum.com/diabetes-news/2469-150-mile-bicycle-ride-american-diabetes-association.html)

diabetes86 05-05-2010 16:46

150 mile bicycle ride for American Diabetes Association
 
Hi all

I am a T2 diagnosed in 1986, went on insulin in 2000.

I am riding my bicycle in the New England Classic to raise money for the American Diabetes Association.. The NEC is a bicycle ride from Woburn MA to Kennebunk ME. A distance of 150 miles in 2 days (Unless you follow me, then its 168, I got lost) July 11 - 12th.

If you would like to support me and contribute to the American Diabetes Association you can go to http://main.diabetes.org/site/TR?pg=personal&fr_id=6930&px=4081340

All donations are tax deductible
All donations are welcome

This is the 3rd time I’ve entered and the second time I’ll ride. The first time I entered I ended up having rotate cuff surgery before the ride. :mad: Last year I rode the 150 miles, 80+ miles the first day and 60+ miles the second day. Had a great time and raised over $1000. I hope to raise more this year.

I dont have to convince you how important the ADA is for us.

So please donate:D

If any of you would care to join me in the ride Id love it.


Thanks

breezeonby 05-05-2010 21:54

This is so nice! That sure is a long ride on a bike. I hope you make the entire ride this year. Good Luck!:)

diabetes86 05-06-2010 00:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by breezeonby (Post 11689)
This is so nice! That sure is a long ride on a bike. I hope you make the entire ride this year. Good Luck!:)

I plan on it

I did a 30 mile ride today with 3 good hills. I need a lot more work on hills.

On the NEC the biggest hill is within 1 mile of the start:eek:

We ride 86 miles the first day, and day 1 has the most and biggest hills. we climb 3770 ft in day 1.
On day 2 we ride 70 miles and only climb 2979 ft

Richard157 05-06-2010 02:29

I cannot imagine being a diabetic and doing something like this. I admire you very much! Good luck with the ride!!!

Shanny 05-06-2010 02:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by diabetes86 (Post 11680)
Hi all

I am a T2 diagnosed in 1986, went on insulin in 2000.

I am riding my bicycle in the New England Classic to raise money for the American Diabetes Association.. The NEC is a bicycle ride from Woburn MA to Kennebunk ME. A distance of 150 miles in 2 days (Unless you follow me, then its 168, I got lost) July 11 - 12th.

Terrific! Good luck and have a wonderful time!




diabetes86 05-07-2010 03:23

Today was suppose to be a rest day. I was at the grocery store and started to feel a little low, So grabbed some potato chips:D potato is a fast BG riser. Well I cant eat just 1, by the time I got home Id eaten about 1/3 of the bag:eek: and My BG was 69 I knew it would be going up shortly, for I had eaten about 45 carbs. With a BG of 69 I would need 8 IU of Novalog for that many carbs. So I went for a bike ride instead I rode 5.5 miles in about 20 minutes. After the ride My BG was only 93. 1 1/2 hours later it was 96:D No added insulin:D

As I continue to ride I have to reduce my morning Basal or I'd be running low all the time. In the last 5 days I've had to reduce my Lantis by 6 units and I'm going down 2 more units tomorrow morning.:D

tomorrow is 23 mile ride.

breezeonby 05-07-2010 04:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by diabetes86 (Post 11754)
Today was suppose to be a rest day. I was at the grocery store and started to feel a little low, So grabbed some potato chips:D potato is a fast BG riser. Well I cant eat just 1, by the time I got home Id eaten about 1/3 of the bag:eek: and My BG was 69 I knew it would be going up shortly, for I had eaten about 45 carbs. With a BG of 69 I would need 8 IU of Novalog for that many carbs. So I went for a bike ride instead I rode 5.5 miles in about 20 minutes. After the ride My BG was only 93. 1 1/2 hours later it was 96:D No added insulin:D

As I continue to ride I have to reduce my morning Basal or I'd be running low all the time. In the last 5 days I've had to reduce my Lantis by 6 units and I'm going down 2 more units tomorrow morning.:D

tomorrow is 23 mile ride.

Sounds like you have everything under control. Be careful and take some glucose tablets with you. I wish I was more steady on a regular bike, it is really good exercise! I end up on the ground alot when riding a regular bike so I ride a stationary bike. :D

diabetes86 05-07-2010 04:22

I used to use "bite size" candy bars, but what do you do with the wrappers? I would stick the used wrappers up legs of my riding pants. By the end of the day my leg and riding pants where covered in chocolate.

Now I take a tube of Betty "Crocker decorating frosting" with me. every 5 to 7 miles, I unscrew the top and take a squirt. No mess no fuss

diabetes86 05-08-2010 00:57

Aaa well I did not ride today:(

64 days till I ride 86 miles:eek:

diabetes86 05-11-2010 23:58

I've fallen a little behind on my training and posting.

Friday; it rained (I do not ride in the rain)

Saturday; I finished my taxes (living in eastern MA I have until 5/11 to file my taxes(we had flooding last month and they extended the filing date for us))

Sunday; Nope no ride

Monday; too cold only got into the 40s I have a problem with leg cramps. Riding in the cold really makes them bad. I found vitamin D helps.

Tuesday; today, again to cold... however, I have to ride so I broke out my rollers. God I hate rollers, all that work and you dont go anyplace. 1 hour on the rollers :(.

so far this year even tho the warm spring has let me start riding a month earlier than last year, mileage wise I am behind whear I was last year, ive got only 320 miles on this season.

The good news is my cadence is up to where I left off last year. My cadence is comfortable in the high 70s to low 80s and going up a slight incline I like the low 90s.

cold and rain every other day for the rest of the week:eek: So I'll have to ride the rolers.:mad:


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 15:03.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.