Diabetic Neuropathy - Page 3

Go Back   The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online > Diabetes Forum Community > Diabetes Symptoms

Diabetes Symptoms Are you worried you are a diabetic? Are you diabetic and concerned about any new or different symptoms? Are you looking for a diabetes test? Please feel free to post your questions, concerns or related information in our Diabetes Symptoms section. See if any other members are going through the same issues or have already been through them and can offer you some valuable experience and advice.


Like Tree13Likes

Diabetic Neuropathy - Page 3


Closed Thread
 
Shared Thread Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2013, 07:44   #21
Senior Member
 
fiesta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: CA USA
Posts: 343

Member Type
Type 2
Diagnosed in 2001

32 likes received
85 likes given
Default

My doctor told me to take Vitamin B Complex. I also have epilepsy and it works for my medicines. Medicines deplete vitamin B.

I also found out something else that I have on a different thread. I ordered 3 thermometers for diabetes. My first one came today.

I have learned that water should not be higher than 104 degrees when you take a shower or bath. It is the same with foods and drinks. To me that means that I can only have a frozen dessert just once in awhile. The directions did not tell me how cold it can be.

I tested it on my hand to see what my temperature was, it was 98.5. So I know that it works. I am going to get more information before I put it on my thread. I have ordered a shower head that tells me by color what the correct temperature is to wash my hands and a thing that attaches to my sink fauctet, as well.

Ruth

fiesta is offline  
Old 02-20-2013, 15:54   #22
Active Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Cotacachi, Ecuador
Posts: 26

Member Type
Type 2
Diagnosed in 2014

2 likes received
Default

I often wondered how people lived with chronic pain, like migraines. I never thought it would happen to me. I was diagnosed as diabetic back in 2004, but generally lived a very active lifestyle with only Metformin and a healthy body weight.

Fast forward to a time when I ended up living in my car and no money for meds for six weeks and ended up in hospital. My sugars were above thirty. No surprise. Although I got my sugars under control my feet started killing me. Burning sensation and SO painful. My quality of life has diminished to just trying to live with the constant pain. I had already put on thirty-five pounds thanks to heavy dosages of insulin and now I can't even walk, let alone be active as I used to be. It's taking a heavy toll on my mental and emotional state and I don't know if I can live with this pain much longer. I need my life back.

ChecMark is offline  
Old 02-22-2013, 11:53   #23
Senior Member
 
fiesta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: CA USA
Posts: 343

Member Type
Type 2
Diagnosed in 2001

32 likes received
85 likes given
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChecMark View Post
My sugars were above thirty. No surprise. Although I got my sugars under control my feet started killing me. Burning sensation and SO painful. My quality of life has diminished to just trying to live with the constant pain. I had already put on thirty-five pounds thanks to heavy dosages of insulin and now I can't even walk, let alone be active as I used to be. It's taking a heavy toll on my mental and emotional state and I don't know if I can live with this pain much longer. I need my life back.
Hi ChecMark, glad to meet you.

Sorry that you are in so much pain. Have you asked your doctor for pain pills? Ask!! With pain pills you can walk and get rid of that neuropathy. Mine is starting to go away. I to have put on a lot of weight. I lost it by walking 4 miles a day, 3 times a week. Please keep me updated.

There are sitting down exercises. They are called chair dancing. Look it up on the internet. Ask which type of exercise program that would be best for you.

I am sorry that you are so miserable. I hope you feel better soon.

Ruth

fiesta is offline  
 
Old 02-22-2013, 13:30   #24
Active Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Cotacachi, Ecuador
Posts: 26

Member Type
Type 2
Diagnosed in 2014

2 likes received
Default Diabetic Neuropathy

Thanks. My doctor did start me on Oxycocet and within a couple of days I was dancing, literally. I went to a local singles dance and danced all night. Gradually though it seemed to have less and less affect and now I am back to 24/7 pain despite taking this narcotic.

Until the last few months I have accepted my diabetes and dealt with it, but having always been incredibly active and fit, putting on all the weight, being in pain all the time and not being able to barely walk, my quality of life has diminished to the point I hate waking up in the morning.

ChecMark is offline  
Old 02-22-2013, 17:19   #25
Senior Member
 
fiesta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: CA USA
Posts: 343

Member Type
Type 2
Diagnosed in 2001

32 likes received
85 likes given
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChecMark View Post
Thanks. My doctor did start me on Oxycocet and within a couple of days I was dancing, literally. I went to a local singles dance and danced all night. Gradually though it seemed to have less and less affect and now I am back to 24/7 pain despite taking this narcotic.

Until the last few months I have accepted my diabetes and dealt with it, but having always been incredibly active and fit, putting on all the weight, being in pain all the time and not being able to barely walk, my quality of life has diminished to the point I hate waking up in the morning.
He ChecMark,

Oxycocet is a very powerful pain pill. People become addicted to it and have to steal to stay on it. Are you off of it?

I am on Tylenol-Codeine #3 and it works. I was originally put on it because of severe back pain, due to my epilepsy.

Ruth

fiesta is offline  
Old 03-07-2013, 13:10   #26
Active Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Cotacachi, Ecuador
Posts: 26

Member Type
Type 2
Diagnosed in 2014

2 likes received
Default

This may or may not apply to anyone else. My foot pain got so bad that I was lying on the couch all day, on the verge of major depression, fighting back the tears, wondering if this was my lot in life now?

I started thinking about the orthotics I got a few months ago. I had walked across a pad which took about five seconds. There was no discussion about the previous injuries I had suffered to rule out TTS. There was no discussion about my diabetes or my diabetic neuropathy. Obviously I started to question how these orthotics could be correct.

I decided to stop wearing them for a couple of days and go back to using my Heel That Pain inserts that I've used for at least five years. The excruciating pain was almost gone. Still a burning sensation because of the diabetic neuropathy, but none of the shooting pains through my toes and ankles. These orthotics are obviously putting pressure on all the wrong places.

I have contacted my diabetic specialists and the foot clinic to investigate and hopefully get me the right orthotics this time.

ChecMark is offline  
Old 03-09-2013, 02:52   #27
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Rogers, Ar. USA
Posts: 579

Member Type
Type Pre
Diagnosed in 2013

73 likes received
72 likes given
Default

ChecMark, I am interested in your experience with neuropathy. My first symptom that I may have some form of diabetes, was numbness and tingling in my feet hands. I have some overall dizziness as well. My fasting blood sugar averages 86 and my A1c was 4.8, but an OGTT was 198 after two hours. My thyroid, cholesterol, B12, proteins and weight are all very good. I can eat carbs like fruit, potatoes and oatmeal, and my blood sugar goes up to near 200 after two hours, takes three hours to get back down to less than 110.
No doctor hasn't diagnosed me with anything yet. Did your neuropathy develop slowly, or like mine, go from perfectly well to perfectly bad in less than a week.

Thanks for any history you can share.

cellis is offline  
Old 03-09-2013, 11:18   #28
Active Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Cotacachi, Ecuador
Posts: 26

Member Type
Type 2
Diagnosed in 2014

2 likes received
Default

Two years ago I worked at Home Depot and by the time my shift ended my feet were very sore from pounding on the concrete floor.

The numbness, the pain, the burning, the shooting pains up my ankle and feeling like I would fall down, were all symptoms after my new orthotics. I haven't worn them for a couple of days now and my feet are much better. I can only assume they were putting pressure on the wrong areas of my feet.

ChecMark is offline  
Old 03-09-2013, 14:09   #29
Senior Member
 
fiesta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: CA USA
Posts: 343

Member Type
Type 2
Diagnosed in 2001

32 likes received
85 likes given
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cellis View Post
ChecMark, I am interested in your experience with neuropathy. My first symptom that I may have some form of diabetes, was numbness and tingling in my feet hands. I have some overall dizziness as well. My fasting blood sugar averages 86 and my A1c was 4.8, but an OGTT was 198 after two hours. My thyroid, cholesterol, B12, proteins and weight are all very good. I can eat carbs like fruit, potatoes and oatmeal, and my blood sugar goes up to near 200 after two hours, takes three hours to get back down to less than 110.
No doctor hasn't diagnosed me with anything yet. Did your neuropathy develop slowly, or like mine, go from perfectly well to perfectly bad in less than a week.
Cellis, how come you have not been diagnosed. I am glad that you are testing your BG and taking the tests.

Are you on a computer a lot? That can cause carpal tunnel syndrome. That will cause the tingling and it will lead to pain eventually. Ask your doctor about that.

Dizziness can be caused by your BG dropping below 86. I have a small snack when it reaches that low.

The way to avoid neuropathy in the feet is to exercise once a day. My doctor recommends in the afternoon, because that is when our BG is the highest. When the weather is bad, I do exercises with Bodies in Motion by Gilead. You can look it up in the internet. They have DVD's.

I eat fruit, oatmeal and small red potatoes. Regular potatoes have too many carbs. Look at the serving size of oatmeal. You can have 1/2 cup oatmeal and some non-fat milk. I prefer 1/2 cup of soy milk. You can also put a few blueberries on it. In fact, on any box, look at the serving size and go by that.

I only have fruit once a day. They are full of sugar. I have a small green apple with my lunch everyday. Go to CalorieKing.com and they will tell you how many carbs in a fruit and other foods.

Ruth


Last edited by fiesta; 03-09-2013 at 14:12.
fiesta is offline  
Old 03-09-2013, 14:22   #30
Senior Member
 
fiesta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: CA USA
Posts: 343

Member Type
Type 2
Diagnosed in 2001

32 likes received
85 likes given
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChecMark View Post
Two years ago I worked at Home Depot and by the time my shift ended my feet were very sore from pounding on the concrete floor.

The numbness, the pain, the burning, the shooting pains up my ankle and feeling like I would fall down, were all symptoms after my new orthotics. I haven't worn them for a couple of days now and my feet are much better. I can only assume they were putting pressure on the wrong areas of my feet.
A concrete floor, itself, can cause pain. We are not meant to be on concrete all day. Just like we are not meant to be on a computer for too long. That is why I am not on the computer very long each day.

Do you have the problem at home, when resting? Have you asked your doctor for a pain pill? I am on a mild pain pill for shooting pains. You can try Naprozen, tylenol, alleve, or Anacin.

Exercise is good for neuropathy. I do it at home with a dVD.

Ruth

fiesta is offline  
Closed Thread

Tags
diabetes, diabetic neuropathy, nerve damage

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Diabetic Neuropathy Troy Tucker New Member Introductions 13 05-25-2013 21:07
neuropathy pravric Diabetes Treatment 3 10-03-2012 02:49
diabetic neuropathy Davehfx Diabetes Complications 57 09-28-2012 23:13
HgA1c of 6.0 normal for non-diabetic? With neuropathy and other symptoms. Frustrated! zoe5710 Diabetes Symptoms 6 09-14-2012 03:55
Pre Diabetic Neuropathy?? convince70 Diabetes Symptoms 20 05-06-2012 14:36

LEGAL NOTICE
By using this Website, you agree to abide by our Terms and Conditions (the "Terms"). This notice does not replace our Terms, which you must read in full as they contain important information. You must not post any defamatory, unlawful or undesirable content, or any content copied from a third party, on the Website. You must not copy material from the Website except in accordance with the Terms. This Website gives users an opportunity to share information only and is not intended to contain any advice which you should rely upon. It does not replace the need to take professional or other advice. We have no liability to you or any other person in respect of any content on this Website.


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 07:11.




Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.