Reactive hypoglycemia

Go Back   The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online > Diabetes Forum Community > Diabetes Symptoms

Diabetes Symptoms Are you worried you are a diabetic? Are you diabetic and concerned about any new or different symptoms? Are you looking for a diabetes test? Please feel free to post your questions, concerns or related information in our Diabetes Symptoms section. See if any other members are going through the same issues or have already been through them and can offer you some valuable experience and advice.


Like Tree6Likes

Reactive hypoglycemia


Closed Thread
 
Shared Thread Thread Tools
Old 12-21-2013, 06:33   #1
Active Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Wellington,new zealand
Posts: 71

Member Type
Type Pre
Diagnosed in 2013

46 likes received
14 likes given
Default Reactive hypoglycemia

Anyone else with reactive hypo but not diagnosed with diabetes have high fasting levels too?

Franzeska is offline  
Old 12-21-2013, 14:17   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: USA
Posts: 792

Member Type
Type 2
Diagnosed in 2013

529 likes received
516 likes given
Default

As the reactive hypoglycemia continues your fasting will go up and eventually lead to diabetes levels

__________________
Donna

You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.
~Friedrich Nietzsche

Controlling through diet.
A1C April 2013: 5.1
donnaB is offline  
Old 12-21-2013, 15:08   #3
Moderator
 
VeeJay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Midwest USA
Posts: 9,413

Member Type
Type 2
Diagnosed in 2010

11981 likes received
4453 likes given
Default

I had RH for YEARS before diabetes came along. I treated it with low-carb eating and eating every few hours - and eventually the hypos stopped. But I was more acutely aware of impending low BG and took steps to correct it before it became a full-blown hypo.

Mary, likes this.
__________________
My low-carb recipe collection on Pinterest
https://www.pinterest.com/VRStudio1/...light-recipes/
70 yrs. Dx May 2010
Diet controlled: VLC/HF
BG steady with no highs or lows.
A1C in the 5% range.
____________________________________
Gluten intolerant, sensitive to dairy & eggs.
Eat no grains
VeeJay is offline  
 
Old 12-21-2013, 15:10   #4
Moderator
 
VeeJay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Midwest USA
Posts: 9,413

Member Type
Type 2
Diagnosed in 2010

11981 likes received
4453 likes given
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnaB View Post
As the reactive hypoglycemia continues your fasting will go up and eventually lead to diabetes levels
As with most everything that has to do with glucose metabolism, YMMV. As I said, I had RH for years. My FBS was within normal levels and A1C normal up until one year it was high (170). Diabetes came on quickly for me with no progression (that was detected by FBG levels and A1C)

Mary, likes this.
__________________
My low-carb recipe collection on Pinterest
https://www.pinterest.com/VRStudio1/...light-recipes/
70 yrs. Dx May 2010
Diet controlled: VLC/HF
BG steady with no highs or lows.
A1C in the 5% range.
____________________________________
Gluten intolerant, sensitive to dairy & eggs.
Eat no grains
VeeJay is offline  
Old 12-21-2013, 23:06   #5
Active Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Wellington,new zealand
Posts: 71

Member Type
Type Pre
Diagnosed in 2013

46 likes received
14 likes given
Default

Thanks all for that,very interesting.my last hba1c was 4.7 percent which is quite low,maybe from low iron or just from all th severe hypos I was having.
The hypos are more controlled now but I notice I react really bad to carbs,especially if I have mor e than 15grams in one sitting.and my fasting is creeping up,although initially in was7.0 to8.o range. Even had a dietican tell me its normal to have fasting levels up to9.0mmol ,even though ive read you will start to get damage over6.0.mmol!and diabetes is diagnosed when its over7.0mmol.crazy dieticians they dont know what they are talking about!Once I started low crb it went down to normal bu now I notice its creeping up even on low carbs
And it gets closer to 7.0 mmol especially if I eat fat or carbs before bed.
So it looks like its progressing, so will keep a tight rein on fasting levels to sav my pancreas as much as poss.
The good thing is even though fasting is elevated my post meal numbers are fine.i suppose as it progresses those post meal numbers will go up?

Franzeska is offline  
Old 12-28-2013, 23:47   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 111

Member Type
Type Pre
Diagnosed in 2013

45 likes received
Default

This is great info. I am sure I have reactive hypo, not the actual hypo numbers, but all the symptoms.

Franzeska likes this.
Lam123 is offline  
Old 12-29-2013, 08:02   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: California, USA
Posts: 3,076

Member Type
Type 2
Diagnosed in 2009

4566 likes received
542 likes given
Default

A doctor long ago told me that hypoglycemia and diabetes are very different conditions and explained both to me in detail. Amazingly accurate detail for that long ago. He told me that while many hypoglycemics transition into diabetes, it doesn't happen the other way around and the two conditions never co-exist.

I believe him until today and everything I read continues to confirm it. This is often controversial on boards, with many diabetics believing they are also hypoglycemics. Bottom line, I don't think all these theories about what constitutes a hypo (70, 60, 45, etc.) can be used to prove or disprove the foregoing but rather it should be the other way around. Unless caused by something else like insulin, some medical condition, etc. I continue to believe that non-medicated T2s don't have hypos, period. From this we can deduce what is truly a hypo.

I have posted a snippet several times in which a researcher discusses blood sugar levels below 50 after eating which are NOT hypoglycemia, are normal, "clinically insignificant" and he describes it as a "marker" of the transition from fed to fasted metabolism. There is more to hypoglycemia than just glucose levels and in a clinical setting, it is possible to measure those things to spot the real thing (which is how they knew that below-50 readings were not hypoglycemia).

The nice part about this is that LC/HF eating addresses BOTH of them pretty effectively. So, if you're hypoglycemic and may at some point transition to D, what you need to do is pretty much the same. Except that during the hypo stage you might need to eat every 2 or 3 hours which you probably won't need to do - and it will probably become a BAD idea - if you transition to diabetes.

Tamagno and Franzeska like this.
__________________
Salim Morgan, T2
66 Years
DX: 9/2009 A1C=10.7
A1C 2/2010: 6.7 (DX + 4 months)
A1C 5/2010: 6.0 (DX + 8 months)
A1C 8/2010: 5.7 (DX + 11 months)
A1C 11/2010: 5.1 (DX + 14 months)
A1C 9/2011: 5.6 (DX + 2 years)
A1C 7/2012: 5.5 (DX + 2 years 10 months)
A1C 1/2019: 5.5
Diet: Approximately C:10;P:15;F:75 (as % calories)
Exercise: Not much. Stairs at home & work.
NO MEDS, No Highs, No Lows
Grandkids: 22

Last edited by smorgan; 12-29-2013 at 08:04.
smorgan is offline  
Old 12-29-2013, 09:10   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Virginia, USA
Posts: 881

Member Type
Type 2
Diagnosed in 2012

848 likes received
355 likes given
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by smorgan View Post
A doctor long ago told me that hypoglycemia and diabetes are very different conditions and explained both to me in detail. Amazingly accurate detail for that long ago. He told me that while many hypoglycemics transition into diabetes, it doesn't happen the other way around and the two conditions never co-exist. I believe him until today and everything I read continues to confirm it. This is often controversial on boards, with many diabetics believing they are also hypoglycemics. Bottom line, I don't think all these theories about what constitutes a hypo (70, 60, 45, etc.) can be used to prove or disprove the foregoing but rather it should be the other way around. Unless caused by something else like insulin, some medical condition, etc. I continue to believe that non-medicated T2s don't have hypos, period. From this we can deduce what is truly a hypo. I have posted a snippet several times in which a researcher discusses blood sugar levels below 50 after eating which are NOT hypoglycemia, are normal, "clinically insignificant" and he describes it as a "marker" of the transition from fed to fasted metabolism. There is more to hypoglycemia than just glucose levels and in a clinical setting, it is possible to measure those things to spot the real thing (which is how they knew that below-50 readings were not hypoglycemia). The nice part about this is that LC/HF eating addresses BOTH of them pretty effectively. So, if you're hypoglycemic and may at some point transition to D, what you need to do is pretty much the same. Except that during the hypo stage you might need to eat every 2 or 3 hours which you probably won't need to do - and it will probably become a BAD idea - if you transition to diabetes.
I don't know, Smorgan. I'm a type 2 controlled only by diet and I feel pretty rotten on those rare occasions when I go below 50. More and more I think that my diabetes is more than just about blood sugar, however. I went into the 30s once and while I can chalk that up to be in the upper 40s with meter error, it felt like death.

Franzeska likes this.
__________________

View Bree's full Diabetes Forum profile here.
Bree is offline  
Old 12-29-2013, 09:50   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: California, USA
Posts: 3,076

Member Type
Type 2
Diagnosed in 2009

4566 likes received
542 likes given
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bree View Post
I don't know, Smorgan. I'm a type 2 controlled only by diet and I feel pretty rotten on those rare occasions when I go below 50. More and more I think that my diabetes is more than just about blood sugar, however. I went into the 30s once and while I can chalk that up to be in the upper 40s with meter error, it felt like death.
I wonder if there could be other factors involved? Especially if it is infrequent.

__________________
Salim Morgan, T2
66 Years
DX: 9/2009 A1C=10.7
A1C 2/2010: 6.7 (DX + 4 months)
A1C 5/2010: 6.0 (DX + 8 months)
A1C 8/2010: 5.7 (DX + 11 months)
A1C 11/2010: 5.1 (DX + 14 months)
A1C 9/2011: 5.6 (DX + 2 years)
A1C 7/2012: 5.5 (DX + 2 years 10 months)
A1C 1/2019: 5.5
Diet: Approximately C:10;P:15;F:75 (as % calories)
Exercise: Not much. Stairs at home & work.
NO MEDS, No Highs, No Lows
Grandkids: 22
smorgan is offline  
Old 12-29-2013, 11:41   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: California, USA
Posts: 3,076

Member Type
Type 2
Diagnosed in 2009

4566 likes received
542 likes given
Default

I was reading around and found a very interesting discussion here.

He mistakenly called gluconeogenesis "converting glycogen back to glucose" when in reality it means creating glucose (mostly from amino acids), but maybe that was a mistake. Overall, it seems authoritative.

VERY interesting, at least.

__________________
Salim Morgan, T2
66 Years
DX: 9/2009 A1C=10.7
A1C 2/2010: 6.7 (DX + 4 months)
A1C 5/2010: 6.0 (DX + 8 months)
A1C 8/2010: 5.7 (DX + 11 months)
A1C 11/2010: 5.1 (DX + 14 months)
A1C 9/2011: 5.6 (DX + 2 years)
A1C 7/2012: 5.5 (DX + 2 years 10 months)
A1C 1/2019: 5.5
Diet: Approximately C:10;P:15;F:75 (as % calories)
Exercise: Not much. Stairs at home & work.
NO MEDS, No Highs, No Lows
Grandkids: 22
smorgan is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Reactive Hypoglycemic Lam123 Diabetes 5 12-10-2013 00:54
I'm Confused About Reactive Hypoglycemia Seeking Diabetes Symptoms 16 01-03-2013 10:37
Reactive Hypoglycemia perhaps??? waiting 3 weeks for doc to call Karlia0408 Diabetes Symptoms 12 06-07-2012 15:16
Talk to me about reactive hypoglycemia CatholicMama Diabetes 13 05-26-2012 17:12
Non reactive insulin David Burke Diabetes Forum Lounge 2 04-23-2012 04:24

LEGAL NOTICE
By using this Website, you agree to abide by our Terms and Conditions (the "Terms"). This notice does not replace our Terms, which you must read in full as they contain important information. You must not post any defamatory, unlawful or undesirable content, or any content copied from a third party, on the Website. You must not copy material from the Website except in accordance with the Terms. This Website gives users an opportunity to share information only and is not intended to contain any advice which you should rely upon. It does not replace the need to take professional or other advice. We have no liability to you or any other person in respect of any content on this Website.


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 08:43.




Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.