The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online

The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online (https://www.diabetesforum.com/forum.php)
-   Diabetes Symptoms (https://www.diabetesforum.com/diabetes-symptoms/)
-   -   Ouch! Horrible spike on default food (https://www.diabetesforum.com/diabetes-symptoms/99333-ouch-horrible-spike-default-food.html)

robertprice 06-09-2019 23:23

Ouch! Horrible spike on default food
 
Over the years I have feinted a few times, off to ER and put on hours of potassium drips. My body cannot absorb potassium [long story]
So I've been on potassium rich foods for a few years, potatoes, bananas, OJ, orange juice, dried apricots, etc.

YES --since coming here and learning, I've dropped them all.

But kept with my low sodium V8, 2 glasses with loads of potassium but 18 carbs. I figured it would be okay since dropping all the others.

My one hour BG is 149, but two hours is only 110. So I am conflicted, terrified of that one hour number but rather pleased with the two hour. Should I be happy or worried?

I am now looking at other high potassium foods but many have high carbs and sugars.

diabetes86 06-09-2019 23:49

Id be HAPPY and Id test @ 30 Minutes once. to check.

VeeJay 06-09-2019 23:49

To interpret that 149 level at 1 hr, you'd need to know what your BG was before you had it so you know just how much it raised it. Good news, though, that at 2 hrs your BG had already gone down.

Here's a bit of bioscience that may help you understand what's going on. The pancreas secretes insulin the moment a person starts eating and this insulin is from what has been previously store for this purpose. Then, the pancreas begins to produce a new batch of insulin, which is then used if needed, and it continues to make more so that it can store it for the next meal. The release of stored insulin is called the 1st phase. The newly produced is called the 2nd phase.

All this works beautifully in non-diabetics to keep BG low, even when a high carbohydrate meal is eaten. Not so with T2 diabetics. For them, little if any insulin is stored so the 1st phase isn't happening to any great extent. Therefore, digested carbs put glucose into the bloodstream and BG rises unchecked. For most T2s, there is some level of 2nd phase (newly produced insulin) which takes about an hour to hit the bloodstream. Hense, by 2hrs BG should start coming down. How much and how fast is an individual thing depending on how well the pancreas does in making new insulin.

So. That's why we test at 1hr to make sure that the carb load for a meal wasn't so much that our BG rises too high. Too high would be levels above 140. That 149 wasn't too far off and wasn't for very long. We test at 2 hrs just to make sure that BG is going down as expected and if it doesn't we can try to determine why that was so (a very fatty meal with carbs, like pizza, can delay the digestion of those carbs so the spike can be delayed.)

Your 110 BG at 2 hours is something to be happy about. It means your 2nd phase insulin response is working.

Re: potassium rich foods that are low carb and diabetes friendly... here's some I found with a quick search:

cooked spinach and broccoli
mushrroms
cucumbers
zucchini
eggplant
leafy greens

Just curious - why are you on low-sodium?

robertprice 06-10-2019 00:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by VeeJay (Post 1319945)
To interpret that 149 level at 1 hr, you'd need to know what your BG was before you had it so you know just how much it raised it. .....- why are you on low-sodium?

It was 109 just prior to the V8. [which was 12 hour fast] Low sodium is the result from my high BP years ago. Not sure I still need that version.

I want to test another two weeks then med lab tests and doc appt.

VeeJay 06-10-2019 01:07

Okay, so the 18 carbs in the V8 raised your BG 40 points. That's rather a lot for very little food.

You'd do better in the morning to eat fat and protein. Most diabetics find they are less able to handle carbs in the morning.

robertprice 06-10-2019 01:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by VeeJay (Post 1319953)
You'd do better in the morning to eat fat and protein. Most diabetics find they are less able to handle carbs in the morning.

Thanks. Good idea and I will cut to one glass. If the spike is still bad, will find other potassium sources. I have a long list....

Cricket 06-10-2019 02:55

Dark leafy greens, nuts, avocados, and seeds are all low carb foods that are high in both magnesium and potassium.

robertprice 06-10-2019 02:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cricket (Post 1319965)
Dark leafy greens, nuts, avocados, and seeds are all low carb foods that are high in both magnesium and potassium.

Luckily, I love spinach and nuts.

smorgan 06-10-2019 03:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by robertprice (Post 1319941)
Over the years I have feinted a few times, off to ER and put on hours of potassium drips. My body cannot absorb potassium [long story]
So I've been on potassium rich foods for a few years, potatoes, bananas, OJ, orange juice, dried apricots, etc.

YES --since coming here and learning, I've dropped them all.

But kept with my low sodium V8, 2 glasses with loads of potassium but 18 carbs. I figured it would be okay since dropping all the others.

My one hour BG is 149, but two hours is only 110. So I am conflicted, terrified of that one hour number but rather pleased with the two hour. Should I be happy or worried?

I am now looking at other high potassium foods but many have high carbs and sugars.

Avocados supply more potassium than bananas with minimal impact on blood sugar.

robertprice 06-10-2019 03:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by smorgan (Post 1319969)
Avocados supply more potassium than bananas with minimal impact on blood sugar.

Thanks. I know and will have to learn to like them. Not very much now, but will add them to my spinach salad

Your sig: Diet: Approximately C:10;P:15;F:75 (as % calories)
Does the C mean carbs? 10% of calories?


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 15:10.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.