Blood Glucose monitors??

Go Back   The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online > Diabetes Forum Community > Diabetes Treatment

Diabetes Treatment As there is currently no cure for the chronic, Diabetes mellitus – the emphasis must be on treatment and management to avoid complications. Please use this section to discuss how you carefully control and manage your Diabetes. Please let us know what is and isn’t working for you. Feel free to discuss all areas of treatment and management of Diabetes including diet, exercise, weight loss, insulin usage, oral drugs and more.


Like Tree21Likes

Blood Glucose monitors??


Closed Thread
 
Shared Thread Thread Tools
Old 03-30-2015, 17:21   #1
Active Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: United States
Posts: 22

Member Type
Type 2
Diagnosed in 2015

12 likes received
42 likes given
Thumbs down Blood Glucose monitors??

I have a Freestyle Lite meter and a Acu-Chek Compact. The results vary greatly--the Compact is way, way higher. I really like the small sample of the Freestyle, but my insurance doesn't cover the strips.

I googled meters this morning and found that Comsumer reports rated the One Touch Ultra Mini highest of the ones they tested. Question: what do you all think is the most accurate meter, with a small sample? Does anyone like this Mini?

I uised an Aviva Plus for a while and hated it--it needed a large sample and if the sample wasn't quite big enough, one could not add more blood--it showed and error message--a wasted strip. Grrrrr.

ALSO--with the One Touch Ultras Mini, does anyone know if these are coded...and can you used outdated strips? I have frequently bought slightly outdated strips for my Freestyle on eBay to save money, checked them against newer strips, and the accuracy was right on.

Thanks in advance for any info you can share. Off to the doc's office this morning to discuss how my new Lantus prescr. is going (great!!) and then she also wants to discuss stopping glimepiride & Januvia and either going on Novolog or a choice between Byetta or Victoza.

The Victoza/Byetta option sounds a lot easier, after reading a book recommended in Blood Sugar 101...but not sure its the best choice. And either way, I know I will be testing a lot!

rnr1 is offline  
Old 03-30-2015, 17:50   #2
Active Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 8,607


10903 likes received
1862 likes given
Default

Blood glucose monitors are a frequent source of discussion on the forum.

We have threads like http://www.diabetesforum.com/diabete...glucose+meters and http://www.diabetesforum.com/introdu...glucose+meters and http://www.diabetesforum.com/introdu...glucose+meters - just the first three I came across by a quick search.

The rules of the game are simple.
  • Don't waste your time trying to cross-check different meters with one another. All are permitted a tolerance of 20%, so you could get 80 mg/dL from one and 120 mg/dL from another - and both would be "right". So pick the meter that works best for you factoring in things like the cost of strips, size of sample and general usability.
  • Strips get contaminated easily, so using out of date strips is often a bad idea although some meters will let you, others not.

John.in.France is offline  
Old 03-30-2015, 20:50   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: United States
Posts: 1,354

Member Type
Type 2
Diagnosed in 1993

2016 likes received
293 likes given
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnr1 View Post
I have a Freestyle Lite meter and a Acu-Chek Compact. The results vary greatly--the Compact is way, way higher. I really like the small sample of the Freestyle, but my insurance doesn't cover the strips.

I googled meters this morning and found that Comsumer reports rated the One Touch Ultra Mini highest of the ones they tested. Question: what do you all think is the most accurate meter, with a small sample? Does anyone like this Mini?

I uised an Aviva Plus for a while and hated it--it needed a large sample and if the sample wasn't quite big enough, one could not add more blood--it showed and error message--a wasted strip. Grrrrr.

ALSO--with the One Touch Ultras Mini, does anyone know if these are coded...and can you used outdated strips? I have frequently bought slightly outdated strips for my Freestyle on eBay to save money, checked them against newer strips, and the accuracy was right on.

Thanks in advance for any info you can share. Off to the doc's office this morning to discuss how my new Lantus prescr. is going (great!!) and then she also wants to discuss stopping glimepiride & Januvia and either going on Novolog or a choice between Byetta or Victoza.

The Victoza/Byetta option sounds a lot easier, after reading a book recommended in Blood Sugar 101...but not sure its the best choice. And either way, I know I will be testing a lot!
Personally I would choose the Novolog and get all other medication except for maybe metformin.

Kristin251 and rnr1 like this.
__________________

View Roxanne0312's full Diabetes Forum profile here.
Roxanne0312 is offline  
 
Old 03-30-2015, 22:31   #4
RCG
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: USA
Posts: 970

Member Type
Type 2
Diagnosed in 1990

1389 likes received
1366 likes given
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxanne0312 View Post
Personally I would choose the Novolog and get all other medication except for maybe metformin.
I agree, if you meant to type "get rid of all other .....".

Shanny and grammaB like this.
__________________
Meters
1. Accu-Chek Advantage
2. Accu-Chek Compact
3. Accu-Chek Compact Plus (2007-2013)
4. Bayer Contour USB (2013-2015)
5 Bayer Contour Next USB (2015- )
RCG is offline  
Old 03-30-2015, 22:56   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: United States
Posts: 1,354

Member Type
Type 2
Diagnosed in 1993

2016 likes received
293 likes given
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCG View Post
I agree, if you meant to type "get rid of all other .....".
Yeah, that's my "old timers disease" coming through

__________________

View Roxanne0312's full Diabetes Forum profile here.
Roxanne0312 is offline  
Old 04-01-2015, 13:18   #6
Active Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Wood Village Oregon USA
Posts: 12

Member Type
Type 2
Diagnosed in 2005

26 likes received
16 likes given
Default

The One Touch Ultra Strips work fine for me in the Mini and Ultra 2 meter. I have used other meters and am not concerned about the accuracy.
My only problem with them is they are for the most part hinged together which creates getting just 1 out of the bottle a challenge for my giant fingers....At least till about half the bottle is used. My insurance allows me 550 strips every 3 months (11 bottles) so One touch Ultra it is!!

Laney is offline  
Old 04-01-2015, 16:20   #7
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: California, USA
Posts: 563

Member Type
Type Pre
Diagnosed in 1999

891 likes received
72 likes given
Default

The Consumer Reports article ranked the machines by accuracy. They found that some machines were consistently within 6% of the laboratory result. Mine (True Result) was at the bottom, even Relion and an inexpensive Meter from Target scored better. But the top rated meters' strips cost over $2000 per year and I have no insurance coverage because I'm not diabetic (yet).

Janknitz is offline  
Old 04-01-2015, 16:35   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: WI USA
Posts: 521

Member Type
Type LADA
Diagnosed in 2014

856 likes received
542 likes given
Default

Personally I like the True To Go from Walgreens. $10 for the meter and I buy 100 strips for $20 at Amazon. I had 3 of these meters at one time. Replacing one that got wet (but my hubby put it in the dehydrator over night and it still worked, haha) bought a new one and a new back up one. I tested all 3 at the same time twice and they were all within 2 points. I have also tested them with the lab and they are usually exact. I have tried others that register higher and I don't like that. LOL. My A1C corresponds with my meter too.

Kristin251 is offline  
Old 04-01-2015, 16:36   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: WI USA
Posts: 521

Member Type
Type LADA
Diagnosed in 2014

856 likes received
542 likes given
Default

BTW, I too would go with Novalog!!

Kristin251 is offline  
Old 04-01-2015, 16:39   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: WI USA
Posts: 521

Member Type
Type LADA
Diagnosed in 2014

856 likes received
542 likes given
Default

Quote:
All are permitted a tolerance of 20%, so you could get 80 mg/dL from one and 120 mg/dL from another
That's what bothers me!! For me that means either eat a few more veggies OR take an extra 1/2 unit. At night it means the difference between 2 and 3 units of Lantus. If it is really 80 and not 120 that could put me in a bad position.

So far so good though....

Kristin251 is offline  
Closed Thread

Tags
best glucose monitors, outdated strips

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Blood pressure monitors mbuster Diabetes Forum Lounge 3 05-06-2014 05:07
Glucose Monitors????? Patdart Diabetes Forum Lounge 10 01-26-2012 16:57
Continous blood glucose monitors ioeshaster Diabetes Forum Lounge 1 08-27-2011 05:41
Blood Glucose dobber Diabetes 2 05-28-2011 21:07
Bloodless Glucose Monitors.. Breeze 2 User Diabetes News 2 02-26-2010 15:11

LEGAL NOTICE
By using this Website, you agree to abide by our Terms and Conditions (the "Terms"). This notice does not replace our Terms, which you must read in full as they contain important information. You must not post any defamatory, unlawful or undesirable content, or any content copied from a third party, on the Website. You must not copy material from the Website except in accordance with the Terms. This Website gives users an opportunity to share information only and is not intended to contain any advice which you should rely upon. It does not replace the need to take professional or other advice. We have no liability to you or any other person in respect of any content on this Website.


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 03:55.




Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.