Stopping insulin cold turkey

Go Back   The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online > Diabetes Forum Community > Diabetes

Diabetes This section of the forum can be used to discuss anything and everything to do with Diabetes. Please use this general Diabetes section for any comments or discussions that don't fit into the more specific forum categories below. Please also ensure that all posts and threads are on topic, about Diabetes.


Like Tree17Likes

Stopping insulin cold turkey


Closed Thread
 
Shared Thread Thread Tools
Old 05-21-2013, 01:47   #1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Ocean City, NJ
Posts: 145

Member Type
Type 2
Diagnosed in 2011

58 likes received
Default Stopping insulin cold turkey

Hi everyone,

I have had it with my endo. Today was the last straw and I ended up firing her altogether. She has a nasty bedside manner, spends all of five minutes with me, never listens, and uses that time to simply berate and insult me. I told her I want off the insulin (Lantus, 18 units) and she went into alarmist mode, telling me, "If you stop insulin, you are in a WORLD of trouble!" Then she gave me the usual rigamorole about how Atkins and eating more than three eggs in a week or bacon for breakfast is going to put me in an early grave. She told me that in order to get off the insulin, my fasting sugars should be 100 or below for at least three months and I have to lose at least 50 pounds (I'm 175 now and my morning bg's run between 100 and 130 currently).

At this point, I'm finished with the medical profession and I want to go a more holistic route without medication.

So, my question to anyone out there is, has any of you ever stopped insulin on your own, and if so, did you find you were able to control your sugars pretty well and did you experience any negative side effects from stopping? Is Dr. Frankenstein right that I'll be in a "world of trouble" if I simply stop on my own or is she simply spitting back her textbooks at me?

Thanks!

moosha is offline  
Old 05-21-2013, 01:55   #2
Inactive Member
 
David Burke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 5,318

Member Type
Type Undiagnosed
Diagnosed in None

5321 likes received
Default

What does a cpeptide test show? How much insulin are you producing on your own? If none then the doc is right, you will be in world of trouble.

Ill wait before going further on me experience.

foxl likes this.
David Burke is offline  
Old 05-21-2013, 02:01   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Ocean City, NJ
Posts: 145

Member Type
Type 2
Diagnosed in 2011

58 likes received
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Burke View Post
What does a cpeptide test show? How much insulin are you producing on your own? If none then the doc is right, you will be in world of trouble.

Ill wait before going further on me experience.
Hmmm, don't know anything about that kind of test. However, I doubt that I am not producing ANY insulin of my own, because I know for a fact that when I was not on insulin, I had no problem controlling my sugars at all by doing what I learned on this site - full fat/low carb. I only agreed to go on the insulin because the endo kept pushing it because I was refusing diabetic pills. I did go off it for two nights a few months ago and my morning sugars were fine.

Also, what is meant by "world of trouble"? Would my pancreas stop working or my kidneys just collapse altogether?

moosha is offline  
 
Old 05-21-2013, 02:08   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Kansas City, MO USA
Posts: 5,911

Member Type
Type 1
Diagnosed in 2009 as Type 1.5

5212 likes received
9205 likes given
Default

If you have a low c-peptide, it means your pancreas HAS stopped working, or nearly so.

I cannot speak to her criticism of LCHF, but she sounds like a frustrated controller.

That does not mean you should give up insulin, though I think you should give her up, find a second opinion, and go with that. Holistic does not address blood sugars, unless what you are treating is strictly type 2. Proceed with any changes with great caution, please!

Shanny likes this.
foxl is offline  
Old 05-21-2013, 02:15   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Ocean City, NJ
Posts: 145

Member Type
Type 2
Diagnosed in 2011

58 likes received
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxl View Post
If you have a low c-peptide, it means your pancreas HAS stopped working, or nearly so.

I cannot speak to her criticism of LCHF, but she sounds like a frustrated controller.

That does not mean you should give up insulin, though I think you should give her up, find a second opinion, and go with that. Holistic does not address blood sugars, unless what you are treating is strictly type 2. Proceed with any changes with great caution, please!
I agree that she is extremely frustrated. She started yelling at me that I only want her to tell me what I want to hear. Ok, granted, but still, I'm human and I have ups and downs with this stuff. Food is a hard habit to break.

I went to a chiropractor tonight who spoke to me at length about this problem with insulin. She confirmed for me what I've always heard about injecting synthetic insulin into your body - that long term, it's damaging - and that once the entire body is in balance, my blood sugar would probably even itself out. I'm way more inclined to believe my chiropractor over the endo because of the emphasis on healing instead of medication.

I think I will continue to do the insulin for the next three months in hopes of achieving those low morning numbers. In the meantime, I have an appt. with my primary Thursday and I will ask about ordering that test.

moosha is offline  
Old 05-21-2013, 02:15   #6
Senior Member
 
Shalynne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, USA
Posts: 5,399

Member Type
Type 2
Diagnosed in 2011 (on insulin)

6972 likes received
5382 likes given
Default

Your fasting may be fine. For some docs, that's the only important number. BUT, going by fastings alone is no way to get or keep control, much less lower your A1c.

(I've never heard of a weight-loss requirement for getting off insulin ... but I digress ...)

How are your pre-meal, post-prandial and bedtime numbers? Were you ever advised to test at those times?

For myself, I like to keep all of my numbers at 70-115. If I went off insulin, I know I would never be able to keep them below 200, even on zero-carb. That's the road to DKA and serious nerve and circulatory conditions. World of Trouble, in a nutshell.

Your numbers don't appear to be quite as severe as mine -- but if you're only testing at fasting, there's no way to know for sure. In your case, I would test all numbers for at least a week or two and, if possible, seek a second opinion before going off the insulin.

Given your former endo's attitude, it seems like it was time for a change in any case.

__________________
DX'd April Fool's Day, 2011 - T2
Female, 58, 5'7", 150 lbs.
A1C 13.5 -> 6.7 ->5.4 (1/31/14)
MEDS:
Humulin-N (basal) - Humalog (rapid bolus)
MAGIC POTIONS:
Biotin --10,000mcg (for hair health)
B-complex
One-A-Day Women's 50+ Advantage
KyoDophilus (pro-biotic)
LIFE SUPPORT:
Black Coffee - Unsweetened Iced Tea
Low-Carb, High-Fat Convert
Shalynne is offline  
Old 05-21-2013, 02:20   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Ocean City, NJ
Posts: 145

Member Type
Type 2
Diagnosed in 2011

58 likes received
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shalynne View Post
Your fasting may be fine. For some docs, that's the only important number. BUT, going by fastings alone is no way to get or keep control, much less lower your A1c.

(I've never heard of a weight-loss requirement for getting off insulin ... but I digress ...)

How are your pre-meal, post-prandial and bedtime numbers? Were you ever advised to test at those times?

For myself, I like to keep all of my numbers at 70-115. If I went off insulin, I know I would never be able to keep them below 200, even on zero-carb. That's the road to DKA and serious nerve and circulatory conditions. World of Trouble, in a nutshell.

Your numbers don't appear to be quite as severe as mine -- but if you're only testing at fasting, there's no way to know for sure. In your case, I would test all numbers for at least a week or two and, if possible, seek a second opinion before going off the insulin.

Given your former endo's attitude, it seems like it was time for a change in any case.
I admit to testing mostly just in the morning. If I have slipped up and had something carby to eat, I get a little nervous about testing because I know it'll be bad. My fault, completely. After speaking with my chiro tonight, I am vowing to get healthier, more active, and lose the weight (which is very hard to do on insulin). I'm back to 30 carbs a day tomorrow and will test at least 4 times.

moosha is offline  
Old 05-21-2013, 02:21   #8
Inactive Member
 
David Burke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 5,318

Member Type
Type Undiagnosed
Diagnosed in None

5321 likes received
Default

I'm surprised you had an endo that put you on insulin without first doing a c-peptide test. I understand that refusing to some types of medication limited your options, but still the test would give an idea of your pancreatic functionality.

Says the man who can't convince his doc to do the test. Lol

David Burke is offline  
Old 05-21-2013, 02:22   #9
Senior Member
 
Steve3129's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Memphis, TN, USA
Posts: 799

Member Type
Type 2
Diagnosed in 2008

1058 likes received
1206 likes given
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by moosha View Post
Also, what is meant by "world of trouble"? Would my pancreas stop working or my kidneys just collapse altogether?
I think "world of trouble" refers to an inevitable increase in blood sugar numbers regardless of LCHF eating. My liver just seems to love turning protein into glucose when lacking carbohydrates to work on!

I agree with David... a bit more testing should be done... by that new doctor your going to have soon!!!

Steve3129 is offline  
Old 05-21-2013, 02:22   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Ocean City, NJ
Posts: 145

Member Type
Type 2
Diagnosed in 2011

58 likes received
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Burke View Post
I'm surprised you had an endo that put you on insulin without first doing a c-peptide test. I understand that refusing to some types of medication limited your options, but still the test would give an idea of your pancreatic functionality.

Says the man who can't convince his doc to do the test. Lol
Well, I am seeing my primary on Thursday and I will ask her if she can order that test for me. I don't know if only an endo can do that or not . .

moosha is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Stopping Lipidil suddenly Hillary Diabetes 4 02-05-2013 23:37
1st A1c after stopping med davidjp Diabetes 4 11-08-2012 21:31
Insulin users - does the cold impact sensitivity? onlymep Diabetes Forum Lounge 9 09-27-2012 21:43
Glad I opted for cold turkey ... (Big Pharma news) foxl Diabetes Forum Lounge 7 06-07-2011 16:18
Stopping Actos breezeonby Diabetes Treatment 11 12-26-2010 20:11

LEGAL NOTICE
By using this Website, you agree to abide by our Terms and Conditions (the "Terms"). This notice does not replace our Terms, which you must read in full as they contain important information. You must not post any defamatory, unlawful or undesirable content, or any content copied from a third party, on the Website. You must not copy material from the Website except in accordance with the Terms. This Website gives users an opportunity to share information only and is not intended to contain any advice which you should rely upon. It does not replace the need to take professional or other advice. We have no liability to you or any other person in respect of any content on this Website.


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 19:42.




Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.