I lost/don't have insurance and I don't know what to do!

Go Back   The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online > Diabetes Forum Community > Diabetes

Diabetes This section of the forum can be used to discuss anything and everything to do with Diabetes. Please use this general Diabetes section for any comments or discussions that don't fit into the more specific forum categories below. Please also ensure that all posts and threads are on topic, about Diabetes.


I lost/don't have insurance and I don't know what to do!


Closed Thread
 
Shared Thread Thread Tools
Old 11-23-2010, 03:46   #1
Active Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Phoenix, AZ USA
Posts: 14

Member Type
Type 1
Diagnosed in 1983

1 likes received
Default I lost/don't have insurance and I don't know what to do!

So, I just quit my job in CA and moved back to AZ, and started my old job. I was told by my manager that I should be provided with insurance, but found out today that I am not eligible for insurance until next November. I don't know what to do!!!!

I can get COBRA coverage that is way out of my price range and fly to CA every three months to go see my doctor and then pay a million bucks to fill all of my prescriptions (300-400$). I am being denied coverage through other insurers. I don't know what to do at all! I am a Type 1 Diabetic, I have prescriptions to last me through the next few months, which I don't mind paying out-of-pocket, but I also have an insulin pump, which now I can't afford, and I don't want to go back to what I was doing before, taking Lantus and Apidra, and have problems with my blood sugar control. I can't even afford Apidra now. My roommate showed me how to get online prescription rebate cards and coupons, but that doesn't help me go to the doctor to get prescriptions, or to see a specialist, nor does it help me to get the insulin pump supplies (which cost a lot). Does anyone at all have any ideas of what I should do? I'm lost, and very, very upset. I don't want to go back to being an out-of-control Diabetic. And I don't qualify for aide, either, because I make more money than that will cover, but not enough to pay for COBRA coverage or flights back to CA, or the pump supplies, or my insulin.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. No one knows what to tell me, and this was the shock of my life today.

Gizmokitty is offline  
Old 11-23-2010, 04:08   #2
Active Member
 
breezeonby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Ohio, USA
Posts: 2,771

Member Type
Type 2
Diagnosed in 2000

55 likes received
6 likes given
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizmokitty View Post
So, I just quit my job in CA and moved back to AZ, and started my old job. I was told by my manager that I should be provided with insurance, but found out today that I am not eligible for insurance until next November. I don't know what to do!!!!

I can get COBRA coverage that is way out of my price range and fly to CA every three months to go see my doctor and then pay a million bucks to fill all of my prescriptions (300-400$). I am being denied coverage through other insurers. I don't know what to do at all! I am a Type 1 Diabetic, I have prescriptions to last me through the next few months, which I don't mind paying out-of-pocket, but I also have an insulin pump, which now I can't afford, and I don't want to go back to what I was doing before, taking Lantus and Apidra, and have problems with my blood sugar control. I can't even afford Apidra now. My roommate showed me how to get online prescription rebate cards and coupons, but that doesn't help me go to the doctor to get prescriptions, or to see a specialist, nor does it help me to get the insulin pump supplies (which cost a lot). Does anyone at all have any ideas of what I should do? I'm lost, and very, very upset. I don't want to go back to being an out-of-control Diabetic. And I don't qualify for aide, either, because I make more money than that will cover, but not enough to pay for COBRA coverage or flights back to CA, or the pump supplies, or my insulin.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. No one knows what to tell me, and this was the shock of my life today.
Hi! I have been in your shoes before and I did become an out of control diabetic, it was terrible. When you say you don't qualify for aide, does that include the assistance provided by drug companies who help when you have no insurance such as needy meds? If so, my only suggestion would be is to find a doctor in Arizona and see if they can help you out with samples. Save up enough to see a doctor and ask. You know, I understand that you don't want to relive the past diabetes treatment, but you may have to find a way to try and control your diabetes with what you can afford. Walmart sells a couple of different types of insulin, no prescription needed. A year is a long time to try and put together another type of treatment program, but it can be done. Also, check to see if you can find any grocery store chains who offer low cost or free diabetes medications. Check the local chapter of the diabetes association and see if they can help. Good luck to you. Becky

__________________
Breezeonby {Female}
Medications: Metformin ER, Lantus, Novolog
Zofran for Gastroparesis
Gabapentin-Neuropathy
Zocor 40MG, Fish Oil 4000MG
A1C/5.2% April 14, 2010
A1C/5.5% June 1, 2010
A1C/5.2% October 6, 2010
A1C/5.0% February 7, 2011
breezeonby is offline  
Old 11-23-2010, 04:25   #3
Active Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Phoenix, AZ USA
Posts: 14

Member Type
Type 1
Diagnosed in 1983

1 likes received
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by breezeonby View Post
Hi! I have been in your shoes before and I did become an out of control diabetic, it was terrible. When you say you don't qualify for aide, does that include the assistance provided by drug companies who help when you have no insurance such as needy meds? If so, my only suggestion would be is to find a doctor in Arizona and see if they can help you out with samples. Save up enough to see a doctor and ask. You know, I understand that you don't want to relive the past diabetes treatment, but you may have to find a way to try and control your diabetes with what you can afford. Walmart sells a couple of different types of insulin, no prescription needed. A year is a long time to try and put together another type of treatment program, but it can be done. Also, check to see if you can find any grocery store chains who offer low cost or free diabetes medications. Check the local chapter of the diabetes association and see if they can help. Good luck to you. Becky
Thank you so much, Becky.
Um, no, actually, not having any aide helps me to get things such as coupons and reduced rate prescription drugs (and the one that I checked out had most of my meds).
But I refuse to go back to the low-cost meds/insulins that I was on before, like, years ago. Maybe if they had Humolog I could work something out (something fast-acting), but I can't afford to go to the hospital if I have an attack, which I had many while I was on Lantus/Apidra (together), Novolog, and Humulin N insulins.
I was thinking of going to my old primary care doctor and see what he would say; I think office visits were 89$ or 99$ without insurance. But I don't know how I would afford the A1Cs. Does anyone know anything about the A1C things that you can buy at places like Walgreens?
Thank you, again!

Gizmokitty is offline  
 
Old 11-23-2010, 04:56   #4
Active Member
 
breezeonby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Ohio, USA
Posts: 2,771

Member Type
Type 2
Diagnosed in 2000

55 likes received
6 likes given
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizmokitty View Post
Thank you so much, Becky.
Um, no, actually, not having any aide helps me to get things such as coupons and reduced rate prescription drugs (and the one that I checked out had most of my meds).
But I refuse to go back to the low-cost meds/insulins that I was on before, like, years ago. Maybe if they had Humolog I could work something out (something fast-acting), but I can't afford to go to the hospital if I have an attack, which I had many while I was on Lantus/Apidra (together), Novolog, and Humulin N insulins.
I was thinking of going to my old primary care doctor and see what he would say; I think office visits were 89$ or 99$ without insurance. But I don't know how I would afford the A1Cs. Does anyone know anything about the A1C things that you can buy at places like Walgreens?
Thank you, again!
Maybe your old primary care doctor can help you with samples, since you know him. And most hospitals will treat you regardless of your ability to pay. They may bill you but most will work out a payment plan. If you have no or low income, most hospitals have an HCAP program. It is worth checking out. I know that Walmart has their own brand of A1C test kit, I think it is priced under $10. Bayer has their A1C test kit, but it costs more, call Bayer or email them and ask for coupons, they will send them to you. I know that CVS Pharmacy is offering free A1C testing right now, for a limited time. Check with these pharmacy and the grocery stores for such offers.

__________________
Breezeonby {Female}
Medications: Metformin ER, Lantus, Novolog
Zofran for Gastroparesis
Gabapentin-Neuropathy
Zocor 40MG, Fish Oil 4000MG
A1C/5.2% April 14, 2010
A1C/5.5% June 1, 2010
A1C/5.2% October 6, 2010
A1C/5.0% February 7, 2011
breezeonby is offline  
Old 11-24-2010, 02:37   #5
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Loserville, USA
Posts: 4


Default

Ask your doctor about "needy meds" There is a website the Dr's should know about it. I got Lantus from it when I was unemployed.

Good luck!!

WILSON is offline  
Old 11-24-2010, 03:43   #6
Active Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Phoenix, AZ USA
Posts: 14

Member Type
Type 1
Diagnosed in 1983

1 likes received
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILSON View Post
Ask your doctor about "needy meds" There is a website the Dr's should know about it. I got Lantus from it when I was unemployed.

Good luck!!
I will! Thank you very much!

Gizmokitty is offline  
Old 12-03-2010, 14:23   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Washington, USA
Posts: 221

Member Type
Type 1
Diagnosed in 2003

71 likes received
16 likes given
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizmokitty View Post
Thank you so much, Becky.
Um, no, actually, not having any aide helps me to get things such as coupons and reduced rate prescription drugs (and the one that I checked out had most of my meds).
But I refuse to go back to the low-cost meds/insulins that I was on before, like, years ago. Maybe if they had Humolog I could work something out (something fast-acting), but I can't afford to go to the hospital if I have an attack, which I had many while I was on Lantus/Apidra (together), Novolog, and Humulin N insulins.
I was thinking of going to my old primary care doctor and see what he would say; I think office visits were 89$ or 99$ without insurance. But I don't know how I would afford the A1Cs. Does anyone know anything about the A1C things that you can buy at places like Walgreens?
Thank you, again!
Hi,
I am sorry to hear you are having problems. Have you applied through the insulin companies such as NovoNordisk or Eli Lilly?? They have forms you can fill out as long as you don't have insurance and they will provide the insulin for up to a year for a sliding scale fee. Also you can try PPARX.org and apply for free meds that way.
The other thing is if you live in one of the major cities of Arizona like Phoenix or close by, you can go to a hospital with clinics that is attached to an University and apply for Charity Care. You would have a doctor that works at the clinics and is attached to the hospital. Also it would be a lot cheaper than flying back to California every 3 months or so. Also you could get enough prescriptions for your insulin, etc to last for one year. Get the appointment first and then get a patient ID number. Then after the appointment is finished ask for the financial aid office. Ask for the paperwork for financial assistance. You can apply for this assistance if you don't have insurance or are underinsured. The amount you qualify for will be based on your income, plus living expenses, plus any bills you have. The income ceiling is pretty lax. By the way due to Federal Law is that all hospitals and clinics that receive federal funds must provide charity care. They are suppose to post this fact but many don't. It is well worth asking about though.

deafmack is offline  
Old 12-03-2010, 15:30   #8
Active Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Phoenix, AZ USA
Posts: 14

Member Type
Type 1
Diagnosed in 1983

1 likes received
Default

Oh, thank you so much for this information! I really appreciate it!
And yes, I live in Phoenix! This is awesome.


Quote:
Originally Posted by deafmack View Post
Hi,
I am sorry to hear you are having problems. Have you applied through the insulin companies such as NovoNordisk or Eli Lilly?? They have forms you can fill out as long as you don't have insurance and they will provide the insulin for up to a year for a sliding scale fee. Also you can try PPARX.org and apply for free meds that way.
The other thing is if you live in one of the major cities of Arizona like Phoenix or close by, you can go to a hospital with clinics that is attached to an University and apply for Charity Care. You would have a doctor that works at the clinics and is attached to the hospital. Also it would be a lot cheaper than flying back to California every 3 months or so. Also you could get enough prescriptions for your insulin, etc to last for one year. Get the appointment first and then get a patient ID number. Then after the appointment is finished ask for the financial aid office. Ask for the paperwork for financial assistance. You can apply for this assistance if you don't have insurance or are underinsured. The amount you qualify for will be based on your income, plus living expenses, plus any bills you have. The income ceiling is pretty lax. By the way due to Federal Law is that all hospitals and clinics that receive federal funds must provide charity care. They are suppose to post this fact but many don't. It is well worth asking about though.

Gizmokitty is offline  
Old 12-03-2010, 17:24   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 24,394

Member Type
Type 2
Diagnosed in 2009

23929 likes received
32255 likes given
Default

Keep us posted, Gizmokitty . . . we're pulling for you!




Shanny is offline  
Old 12-04-2010, 06:11   #10
Senior Member
 
BadThad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 107

Member Type
Type 2
Diagnosed in 2010

2 likes received
Default

Sorry to hear about your situation.

There's some good folks here. I had no idea that help existed like that. It's good to know in case I'm next!

Good luck and best wishes! Hang in there.

__________________
Diagnosed 01NOV2010 TYPE 2
Pills Munched Daily and Stuff Injected:
* 80 mg asprin
* 3000 mg fish oil
* 1000 mg vitamin C
* 1 multivitamin
* 2.5 mg Lisinopril
* 500 mg Metformin ER
* Humalog (rarely)
* Lantis (5 units nightly)
* Meter - ReliOn Confirm (Only needs 0.3 microliters of blood!)
BadThad is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Treating Type 2 without insurance, can it be done? ThoseBackPages Diabetes 10 06-17-2011 02:08
Please help. Lost weight but need to lose more. quiet1 Diabetes 4 08-25-2010 22:30
Insurance won't cover pump!? kendi010901 Insulin Pumps 5 08-17-2010 14:46
2nd day and lost my password. have a new book to read for ALL diabetics TammyL1 New Member Introductions 3 11-15-2009 15:34
Insurance Dianne New Member Introductions 1 04-01-2008 04:28

LEGAL NOTICE
By using this Website, you agree to abide by our Terms and Conditions (the "Terms"). This notice does not replace our Terms, which you must read in full as they contain important information. You must not post any defamatory, unlawful or undesirable content, or any content copied from a third party, on the Website. You must not copy material from the Website except in accordance with the Terms. This Website gives users an opportunity to share information only and is not intended to contain any advice which you should rely upon. It does not replace the need to take professional or other advice. We have no liability to you or any other person in respect of any content on this Website.


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 07:19.




Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.