Out of Nowhere Spike

Go Back   The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online > Diabetes Forum Community > Diabetes

Diabetes This section of the forum can be used to discuss anything and everything to do with Diabetes. Please use this general Diabetes section for any comments or discussions that don't fit into the more specific forum categories below. Please also ensure that all posts and threads are on topic, about Diabetes.


Out of Nowhere Spike


Closed Thread
 
Shared Thread Thread Tools
Old 05-17-2011, 04:59   #1
Senior Member
 
bigrosiegreenbaum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Philadelphia, PA United States
Posts: 609

Member Type
Type 2
Diagnosed in April Fools' Day 2011

71 likes received
Default Out of Nowhere Spike

I don't get what's happening here. I finished dinner almost five hours ago, checked my numbers 2 hours after dinner, was a respectable 111. I ate nothing since dinner, except for my nightly string cheese to help prevent liver dumping. That was only 15 minutes ago - just did my bedtime reading and now it's 122! I can't figure out how that happened, how I jumped up 11 points without any carbs or unnecessary stress in the past five hours! This makes no sense.

bigrosiegreenbaum is offline  
Old 05-17-2011, 05:06   #2
Anti-Man Made Carbs!
 
ThoseBackPages's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: New York
Posts: 1,891

Member Type
Type 2
Diagnosed in 2010

203 likes received
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigrosiegreenbaum View Post
I don't get what's happening here. I finished dinner almost five hours ago, checked my numbers 2 hours after dinner, was a respectable 111. I ate nothing since dinner, except for my nightly string cheese to help prevent liver dumping. That was only 15 minutes ago - just did my bedtime reading and now it's 122! I can't figure out how that happened, how I jumped up 11 points without any carbs or unnecessary stress in the past five hours! This makes no sense.
Meters can be +\- 20%.

Do not sweat it. However, might want to try to get that number below triple digits

__________________
SWM/42/NY
DxT2: 1/26/2010: 6'2" 268lbs. A1C 7.8, FBG 266
A1C: 1/2010: 7.8 ; 6/2010: 4.7 ; 9/2010: 5.1 ; 12/2010: 5.2 ; 4/2011: 5.3 ; 9/2011: 5.3

Completely Off Medication December, 2010.

9/2011 Lab Work Results (4/2011 in parenthesis)
A1C: 5.3 (5.3)
Cholesterol: HDL 134 (133) LDL: 53 (53)
Triglycerides: 29 (30)
Current Weight: 195

I am sometimes too "harsh". I feel that sometimes one must be "harsh" to get the point across.
ThoseBackPages is offline  
Old 05-17-2011, 05:47   #3
Senior Member
 
Shalynne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, USA
Posts: 5,399

Member Type
Type 2
Diagnosed in 2011 (on insulin)

6972 likes received
5382 likes given
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigrosiegreenbaum View Post
I don't get what's happening here. I finished dinner almost five hours ago, checked my numbers 2 hours after dinner, was a respectable 111. I ate nothing since dinner, except for my nightly string cheese to help prevent liver dumping. That was only 15 minutes ago - just did my bedtime reading and now it's 122! I can't figure out how that happened, how I jumped up 11 points without any carbs or unnecessary stress in the past five hours! This makes no sense.
I hate when that happens!

In my case I suspect I need to get more active after dinner. Will try that. Getting tired of mysteries ... they should stay in books or on screen, where they belong!

Here's to a better tomorrow!

__________________
DX'd April Fool's Day, 2011 - T2
Female, 58, 5'7", 150 lbs.
A1C 13.5 -> 6.7 ->5.4 (1/31/14)
MEDS:
Humulin-N (basal) - Humalog (rapid bolus)
MAGIC POTIONS:
Biotin --10,000mcg (for hair health)
B-complex
One-A-Day Women's 50+ Advantage
KyoDophilus (pro-biotic)
LIFE SUPPORT:
Black Coffee - Unsweetened Iced Tea
Low-Carb, High-Fat Convert
Shalynne is offline  
 
Old 05-17-2011, 14:21   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: North East Ohio, USA
Posts: 4,368

Member Type
Type 2
Diagnosed in 2007

1790 likes received
1507 likes given
Default

I agree meters aren't exact and with the 20% variable a 111 and a 122 are the same thing. Also I have a feeling that most of us don't have stable bgs throughout the day. If you tested every 10 minutes you would see lots of those ups and downs. Since many type 2's have weakening basal insulin production, it may not react quick enough to bring these little blips down. When I was first dx'd 4 years ago I found lots of those spikes but at 5 hours they were 160-180 or higher. In the morning if I only eat cheese, I find that my bgs still go up. So you also might have been catching a small spike from eating the cheese. When most of us eat , even low carb food we do get a surge of glucose and it may take awhile for our insulin response to kick in. Don't worry about these little blips.

__________________
diagnosed Feb 2007
metformin-2550
low carb organic diet
3 T of Coconut Oil daily
moderate exercise- mostly walking 3-5 miles, tennis - 4 hours per week, weight training, hiking on weekends and vacations 7-10 miles

HbA1c 5.3 3/11
HbA1c 6.1 5/12

Age 62
jwags is offline  
Old 05-17-2011, 14:36   #5
Senior Member
 
bigrosiegreenbaum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Philadelphia, PA United States
Posts: 609

Member Type
Type 2
Diagnosed in April Fools' Day 2011

71 likes received
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwags View Post
I agree meters aren't exact and with the 20% variable a 111 and a 122 are the same thing. Also I have a feeling that most of us don't have stable bgs throughout the day. If you tested every 10 minutes you would see lots of those ups and downs. Since many type 2's have weakening basal insulin production, it may not react quick enough to bring these little blips down. When I was first dx'd 4 years ago I found lots of those spikes but at 5 hours they were 160-180 or higher. In the morning if I only eat cheese, I find that my bgs still go up. So you also might have been catching a small spike from eating the cheese. When most of us eat , even low carb food we do get a surge of glucose and it may take awhile for our insulin response to kick in. Don't worry about these little blips.

Wow, I didn't even think of that - so basically, you think the 122 was really a 111, it was just the meter being off? You know, it's really annoying that our meters can't be more accurate, the companies who make them owe it to us to make them as accurate as possible. I mean, how many of us think we have good numbers and in reality, they're not?

bigrosiegreenbaum is offline  
Old 05-17-2011, 15:58   #6
Senior Member
 
Shalynne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, USA
Posts: 5,399

Member Type
Type 2
Diagnosed in 2011 (on insulin)

6972 likes received
5382 likes given
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigrosiegreenbaum View Post
Wow, I didn't even think of that - so basically, you think the 122 was really a 111, it was just the meter being off? You know, it's really annoying that our meters can't be more accurate, the companies who make them owe it to us to make them as accurate as possible. I mean, how many of us think we have good numbers and in reality, they're not?
Or maybe they're better than we think? Wish I knew for sure. With insulin, I don't want to go cruisin' for a low!

20% is one whale of a variable, and I often forget to factor that in. But then I understand the meter is fairly new tech. Hopefully we'll see refinements soon.

__________________
DX'd April Fool's Day, 2011 - T2
Female, 58, 5'7", 150 lbs.
A1C 13.5 -> 6.7 ->5.4 (1/31/14)
MEDS:
Humulin-N (basal) - Humalog (rapid bolus)
MAGIC POTIONS:
Biotin --10,000mcg (for hair health)
B-complex
One-A-Day Women's 50+ Advantage
KyoDophilus (pro-biotic)
LIFE SUPPORT:
Black Coffee - Unsweetened Iced Tea
Low-Carb, High-Fat Convert
Shalynne is offline  
Old 05-17-2011, 16:00   #7
Senior Member
 
bigrosiegreenbaum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Philadelphia, PA United States
Posts: 609

Member Type
Type 2
Diagnosed in April Fools' Day 2011

71 likes received
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shalynne View Post
Or maybe they're better than we think? Wish I knew for sure. With insulin, I don't want to go cruisin' for a low!

20% is one whale of a variable, and I often forget to factor that in. But then I understand the meter is fairly new tech. Hopefully we'll see refinements soon.
I'm wondering if maybe putting your fingers on either end of the test strip could affect a reading...

bigrosiegreenbaum is offline  
Old 05-17-2011, 17:24   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: North East Ohio, USA
Posts: 4,368

Member Type
Type 2
Diagnosed in 2007

1790 likes received
1507 likes given
Default

Just for kicks I have tested several fingers at the same time. I will get 3 numbers 20-30 points apart. Of course I always choose the lower number, it makes me feel better. Also things like stress, exercise, moods all can affect your bg reading. The interaction of hormones in our body puts bgs into a constant flux. Sometimes I find if I eat a very small dinner, with not enough fat I will get a spike about 4-5 hours later. You could have also eaten something that digested very slowly and got a later spike. The first time I tried Dreamfields Pasta I got great 2 hour readings - 102, I was so excited. At 4 hours though I was 148 and 5 hours almost 200. So some foods may have a delayed spike. Also if it was a very low carb meal with a lot of protein, part of the protein could have been converted to glucose which usually happens 4-5 hours. So you see there are lots of explanations. How were your morning bgs? If they were normal I wouldn't worry. It is just part of diabetes.

__________________
diagnosed Feb 2007
metformin-2550
low carb organic diet
3 T of Coconut Oil daily
moderate exercise- mostly walking 3-5 miles, tennis - 4 hours per week, weight training, hiking on weekends and vacations 7-10 miles

HbA1c 5.3 3/11
HbA1c 6.1 5/12

Age 62
jwags is offline  
Old 05-17-2011, 17:26   #9
Senior Member
 
bigrosiegreenbaum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Philadelphia, PA United States
Posts: 609

Member Type
Type 2
Diagnosed in April Fools' Day 2011

71 likes received
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwags View Post
Just for kicks I have tested several fingers at the same time. I will get 3 numbers 20-30 points apart. Of course I always choose the lower number, it makes me feel better. Also things like stress, exercise, moods all can affect your bg reading. The interaction of hormones in our body puts bgs into a constant flux. Sometimes I find if I eat a very small dinner, with not enough fat I will get a spike about 4-5 hours later. You could have also eaten something that digested very slowly and got a later spike. The first time I tried Dreamfields Pasta I got great 2 hour readings - 102, I was so excited. At 4 hours though I was 148 and 5 hours almost 200. So some foods may have a delayed spike. Also if it was a very low carb meal with a lot of protein, part of the protein could have been converted to glucose which usually happens 4-5 hours. So you see there are lots of explanations. How were your morning bgs? If they were normal I wouldn't worry. It is just part of diabetes.

I'm very mad at my meter.

bigrosiegreenbaum is offline  
Old 05-17-2011, 19:22   #10
Anti-Man Made Carbs!
 
ThoseBackPages's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: New York
Posts: 1,891

Member Type
Type 2
Diagnosed in 2010

203 likes received
Default

A1C > meter

__________________
SWM/42/NY
DxT2: 1/26/2010: 6'2" 268lbs. A1C 7.8, FBG 266
A1C: 1/2010: 7.8 ; 6/2010: 4.7 ; 9/2010: 5.1 ; 12/2010: 5.2 ; 4/2011: 5.3 ; 9/2011: 5.3

Completely Off Medication December, 2010.

9/2011 Lab Work Results (4/2011 in parenthesis)
A1C: 5.3 (5.3)
Cholesterol: HDL 134 (133) LDL: 53 (53)
Triglycerides: 29 (30)
Current Weight: 195

I am sometimes too "harsh". I feel that sometimes one must be "harsh" to get the point across.
ThoseBackPages is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Spike Michealkelly76 Diabetes Forum Lounge 3 04-22-2011 23:29
Spike in blood sugar rohn Diabetes 8 04-19-2011 15:19
How Do You AVOID the Inevitable Spike After a Low BG ??? righteousdude2 Diabetes Complications 10 06-06-2010 01:17
I know now what made me shake and spike- others beware peachy Diabetes Symptoms 2 03-08-2010 16:21
First spike in months, and the cause is... warrenh Diabetes 4 10-28-2009 06:29

LEGAL NOTICE
By using this Website, you agree to abide by our Terms and Conditions (the "Terms"). This notice does not replace our Terms, which you must read in full as they contain important information. You must not post any defamatory, unlawful or undesirable content, or any content copied from a third party, on the Website. You must not copy material from the Website except in accordance with the Terms. This Website gives users an opportunity to share information only and is not intended to contain any advice which you should rely upon. It does not replace the need to take professional or other advice. We have no liability to you or any other person in respect of any content on this Website.


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 20:02.




Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.