foot neuropathy

Go Back   The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online > Diabetes Forum Community > Diabetes

Diabetes This section of the forum can be used to discuss anything and everything to do with Diabetes. Please use this general Diabetes section for any comments or discussions that don't fit into the more specific forum categories below. Please also ensure that all posts and threads are on topic, about Diabetes.


Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By audiogatorjim
  • 1 Post By deafmack

foot neuropathy


Closed Thread
 
Shared Thread Thread Tools
Old 05-29-2011, 04:13   #1
Active Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Florida USA
Posts: 34


2 likes received
Default foot neuropathy

Numbness in my feet has gotten worse lately; not just at night. Toes in both feet are pretty numb now. Going to endo shortly. Blood sugar is ok but I'm afraid damage is done. Internet searches don't reveal much - a lot of cremes for sale and you just have to live with it. Any words of positivity here or short or long term remedies or treatments?

idennetwork likes this.
audiogatorjim is offline  
Old 05-29-2011, 06:20   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 53

Member Type
Type 2
Diagnosed in 2011

9 likes received
Default

Please try to get to a vascular specialist. He may also send you to a neurologist who specializes in neuropathy. Some hospitals have specialized neuropathy clinics. They will do testing on the nerves in the legs.

I am sorry you are having to deal with this.

SecretAgent is offline  
Old 05-29-2011, 15:13   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Washington, USA
Posts: 221

Member Type
Type 1
Diagnosed in 2003

71 likes received
16 likes given
Default

Hope you are able to find out what is causing the neuropathy symptoms. It can be frustrating to deal with.

deafmack is offline  
 
Old 05-30-2011, 04:28   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: I live in the once great state of California
Posts: 203

Member Type
Type 2
Diagnosed in 1995 (but, I'm sure I had diabetes several years before it was offically diagnosed)

12 likes received
2 likes given
Exclamation Even Tight Sugars Didn't Help

First of all, I'm terribly sorry to hear of your struggle with neuropathy. As a person who's had the same problem for at least ten years now, I can atest to this: tight sugar control is great for the A1c test results, but, in my case it hasn't put a dent in the pain I have from neuropathy. I don't want to dash any hopes you have of controlling this painful condition, but everyone I know, including your's truly, just couldn't find success. And I have a Neurologist and Endocrinologist, to boot!

I currently take 1 Gabapetten daily (used to take 8), one 30mg Morphine Sulphate (used to be 2 a day), and for "break through pain. I can take up to three 15mg Morphine Immediate Release tablets a day. For those times when my feet are not responding to the meds, I pull out my tube of Zolstrik cream, and that helps.

Other than this, I can't say keeping my sugars tight has helped.

Good luck, and remember, the pain will eventually become manageable. That is why I'm no longer on higher doses of Morphine and Gabapetten.

Pastor Paul

righteousdude2 is offline  
Old 05-30-2011, 05:26   #5
Moderator
 
moon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 6,158

Member Type
Type 2
Diagnosed in 2011

5835 likes received
3468 likes given
Default

I'm curious why you decided to cut back on the gabapentin vs try a higher dosage (not to be mistaken for a pill-pusher or anything) ...
I take 1800 mg a day for pain and sleep and for me it's a wonderful med.

I was on a neurontin mailing list years ago before it went generic here and some people took up to 4600 mg for pain and there were remarkable success stories with it. Since it's not narcotic, there are not those issues. My rheumatologist said it's best to keep a steady blood level for efficacy.

Would pregabalin be worth a try? In some studies it was shown to be more effective than gabapentin, but as with all things I'm sure it depends on the person and application.

__________________
Dx'ed Feb 2011 w/ BS > 600
A1C: . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Other Stuff
2/13/11 .. 14.7 . . . . . . Trig/HDL ratio .. 5.5 to 2.2 in 6 mo
5/23/11 .. 6.2 . . . . . . . Low-carb/high healthy-fat diet
9/8/11 .... 5.6 . . . . . . . No meds, No statin
2/24/16 .... basal/bolus insulin 2-3 days/wk due to steroids

moon is offline  
Old 05-30-2011, 06:04   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Washington, USA
Posts: 221

Member Type
Type 1
Diagnosed in 2003

71 likes received
16 likes given
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by righteousdude2 View Post
First of all, I'm terribly sorry to hear of your struggle with neuropathy. As a person who's had the same problem for at least ten years now, I can atest to this: tight sugar control is great for the A1c test results, but, in my case it hasn't put a dent in the pain I have from neuropathy. I don't want to dash any hopes you have of controlling this painful condition, but everyone I know, including your's truly, just couldn't find success. And I have a Neurologist and Endocrinologist, to boot!

I currently take 1 Gabapetten daily (used to take 8), one 30mg Morphine Sulphate (used to be 2 a day), and for "break through pain. I can take up to three 15mg Morphine Immediate Release tablets a day. For those times when my feet are not responding to the meds, I pull out my tube of Zolstrik cream, and that helps.

Other than this, I can't say keeping my sugars tight has helped.

Good luck, and remember, the pain will eventually become manageable. That is why I'm no longer on higher doses of Morphine and Gabapetten.

Pastor Paul
One thing I just noticed is that you say tight BG control hasn't helped with the neuropathy pain. Have you looked at other reasons for the neuropathy pain besides your diabetes? There are other causes such as Vitamin B levels being too high or too low. And another thing can be food allergies. And of course there are other reasons as well. I think it is well worth looking into other reasons for your neuropathy.

deafmack is offline  
Old 05-30-2011, 07:02   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: I live in the once great state of California
Posts: 203

Member Type
Type 2
Diagnosed in 1995 (but, I'm sure I had diabetes several years before it was offically diagnosed)

12 likes received
2 likes given
Default Yes I Have!

Quote:
Originally Posted by deafmack View Post
One thing I just noticed is that you say tight BG control hasn't helped with the neuropathy pain. Have you looked at other reasons for the neuropathy pain besides your diabetes? There are other causes such as Vitamin B levels being too high or too low. And another thing can be food allergies. And of course there are other reasons as well. I think it is well worth looking into other reasons for your neuropathy.
According to my neurologist, I have diabetic neuropathy. This also the conclusion of my endo. Thanks for the suggestion. I wish it was only as simple as vitamin B shots!

righteousdude2 is offline  
Old 05-30-2011, 07:04   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: I live in the once great state of California
Posts: 203

Member Type
Type 2
Diagnosed in 1995 (but, I'm sure I had diabetes several years before it was offically diagnosed)

12 likes received
2 likes given
Default I Was Once On a HIgh Dose

Quote:
Originally Posted by moon View Post
I'm curious why you decided to cut back on the gabapentin vs try a higher dosage (not to be mistaken for a pill-pusher or anything) ...
I take 1800 mg a day for pain and sleep and for me it's a wonderful med.

I was on a neurontin mailing list years ago before it went generic here and some people took up to 4600 mg for pain and there were remarkable success stories with it. Since it's not narcotic, there are not those issues. My rheumatologist said it's best to keep a steady blood level for efficacy.

Would pregabalin be worth a try? In some studies it was shown to be more effective than gabapentin, but as with all things I'm sure it depends on the person and application.
As I shared in my post, the Gabapetten didn't work for me. It is great for some folks, as is Cymbalta, and Lyrica. In my case, I've tried numerous meds over the years, and morphine is all I can get some relief from. Thanks for your thoughts!

righteousdude2 is offline  
Old 05-30-2011, 08:56   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Washington, USA
Posts: 221

Member Type
Type 1
Diagnosed in 2003

71 likes received
16 likes given
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by righteousdude2 View Post
According to my neurologist, I have diabetic neuropathy. This also the conclusion of my endo. Thanks for the suggestion. I wish it was only as simple as vitamin B shots!
I am definitely not saying it is as simple as Vitamin B shots. I am just saying there is more than one cause of neuropathy. And for what it is worth most of us who have off B levels don't take shots anymore although some do need to. I am sorry that you are having a hard time and that you are finding it hard to deal with the pain of neuropathy. I do understand. The reason for me is that I was increasing my gabapentin exponentially and it was being increased at a weekly rate. It wasn't till I found out that if I avoided corn my neuropathy symptoms decreased considerably and so did my use of pain meds and gabapentin. Now I am not saying the same is true for you. It is just a thought.

Shanny likes this.
deafmack is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Anyone have foot problems? diabetes709 Diabetes Complications 13 02-08-2013 05:52
*Diabetes Foot Care* Terrie Diabetes Complications 1 12-06-2011 16:38
ack! I burned my foot :( clc6583 Diabetes Complications 3 12-28-2009 23:50
Foot HEEL problem haystack1944 Diabetes Complications 6 02-07-2009 09:58
Associated Foot & Ankle Specialists Enrolling Patients With Chronic Diabetic Foot Ulc george jacob Diabetes News 0 02-26-2008 13:03

LEGAL NOTICE
By using this Website, you agree to abide by our Terms and Conditions (the "Terms"). This notice does not replace our Terms, which you must read in full as they contain important information. You must not post any defamatory, unlawful or undesirable content, or any content copied from a third party, on the Website. You must not copy material from the Website except in accordance with the Terms. This Website gives users an opportunity to share information only and is not intended to contain any advice which you should rely upon. It does not replace the need to take professional or other advice. We have no liability to you or any other person in respect of any content on this Website.


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 07:20.




Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.