Funny/Dangerous Low's?

Go Back   The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online > Diabetes Forum Community > Diabetes

Diabetes This section of the forum can be used to discuss anything and everything to do with Diabetes. Please use this general Diabetes section for any comments or discussions that don't fit into the more specific forum categories below. Please also ensure that all posts and threads are on topic, about Diabetes.


Like Tree3Likes

Funny/Dangerous Low's?


Closed Thread
 
Shared Thread Thread Tools
Old 02-28-2012, 08:14   #1
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: perth australia
Posts: 133

Member Type
Type 1
Diagnosed in 2012

25 likes received
13 likes given
Default Funny/Dangerous Low's?

Had my second appoint since being diagnosed in mid jan and since i use a mobile app (ontrack), i showed my endo how i was going and let him hav a look (he was familiar with the app). He was happy with how i was cruising, but noticed a few lows and a fairly 'low' trend (fasting) from around 4.3-5.3 (well he called this fairly low). We talked about my hypo readings and what i felt and it brought back some memories.

1) My first one i remember riding my bike feeling really shaky on the bars. In general i was feeling off. I jumped off my bike on the side of the road, tested and i was 2.7 (50 mg/dl). Now this isnt too low, but this was my first ever feeling of a low. I chugged down a gel and spiked back up to 8 after a little while. What was scary/amusing(?) was that i dont remember testing or treating at that time. I jumped back on the bike and rode very slowly waiting for gel to kick in thinking 'what just happened'? I kept checking my bag on my back noticing that my gel was empty thinking 'wow, my first low, that was weird'.

2) my second one was getting out of the pool and again had that dizzy feeling. Was having a shower and the tiled walls started to spin and the room around me was going crazy like i had downed about 15vodkas. Again, tested was below 3.

I have no idea how some of you handle lows below 50 (which im sure ill get one day) but im interested to hear what happened, how you delt with it etc. Extra points for amusing ones!

canadiandude likes this.
timmy is offline  
Old 02-28-2012, 16:05   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Cleveland, Ohio - USA
Posts: 2,055

Member Type
Type 2
Diagnosed in 2000

1638 likes received
130 likes given
Default

Timmy, a reading below 60 is an extreme low. I once had a reading of 45 and it was absolutely horrible! I've been low to 65-55 and really felt like death. I cannot believe that you don't feel you are going low before you hit a 50. That is a dangerous low. You really should check your bg's before you begin exercising (i.e., riding bike) and then perhaps halfway between your ride to see where you are. Your body may just respond to the exercise very well and it is dropping you very quickly. It is good that you had a glucose gel with you. Very important to treat those lows immediately.

__________________
**Renee***

Metformin - 2000 mg daily
Humulog - on a PING Pump now...
Zoloft - 100 mg
Milk Thistle
Alpha Lipoic Acid
Biotin
GTF Chromium
Fish Oil - 4 grams a day
Vitamin D3 - 5000 iu daily
81 mg aspirin daily
Probiotic
naynay is offline  
Old 02-28-2012, 16:10   #3
Senior Member
 
canadiandude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Stockholm, Sweden
Posts: 2,232

Member Type
Type 2
Diagnosed in 2011

3398 likes received
2647 likes given
Default

The amusing ones are always the best!


Quote:
Originally Posted by timmy View Post
Had my second appoint since being diagnosed in mid jan and since i use a mobile app (ontrack), i showed my endo how i was going and let him hav a look (he was familiar with the app). He was happy with how i was cruising, but noticed a few lows and a fairly 'low' trend (fasting) from around 4.3-5.3 (well he called this fairly low). We talked about my hypo readings and what i felt and it brought back some memories.

1) My first one i remember riding my bike feeling really shaky on the bars. In general i was feeling off. I jumped off my bike on the side of the road, tested and i was 2.7 (50 mg/dl). Now this isnt too low, but this was my first ever feeling of a low. I chugged down a gel and spiked back up to 8 after a little while. What was scary/amusing(?) was that i dont remember testing or treating at that time. I jumped back on the bike and rode very slowly waiting for gel to kick in thinking 'what just happened'? I kept checking my bag on my back noticing that my gel was empty thinking 'wow, my first low, that was weird'.

2) my second one was getting out of the pool and again had that dizzy feeling. Was having a shower and the tiled walls started to spin and the room around me was going crazy like i had downed about 15vodkas. Again, tested was below 3.

I have no idea how some of you handle lows below 50 (which im sure ill get one day) but im interested to hear what happened, how you delt with it etc. Extra points for amusing ones!

canadiandude is offline  
 
Old 02-28-2012, 16:13   #4
MCS
WHAT, I got D
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: HOTSVILLE USA
Posts: 3,849

Member Type
Type 2
Diagnosed in 1565

3991 likes received
5218 likes given
Default

I am a T2 so this may not apply. I go as low as 65 before dinner on many occasions. I will not correct this low so I eat a piece of cheese to keep my liver from any contributions it has in mind to my BG level before I eat dinner. The other day was kind of freaky though. I was at 66 before dinner ate a small piece of cheese then a low carb dinner of protein and veggies, 1 hr later I was still at 72, 2 hrs I was at 84. Truly an odd evening for me.

__________________
Control is with Diet modification, exercise, supps.
A1C, Dxed 11, 5.6, 4.8, 4.6
MCS is offline  
Old 02-28-2012, 16:53   #5
Jen
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Topanga, CA
Posts: 710

Member Type
Type 1
Diagnosed in 2007

506 likes received
229 likes given
Default

Readings in the 50s or 60s don't really bother me, especially before meals, and (for me) can be overcome with a strawberry or two. Under 50 doesn't feel great, but I haven't had a low that wasn't easily treatable.

My worst (and first) was a 25 and it was horrible! Of course, being new to it all, I followed the "15 grams of carb to treat a low" advice. Between that and my liver coming to my rescue, I ended up in the stratosphere. I yoyo'd all day - it was exhausting. That experience led me to experiment with how much a gram of carb increases my blood sugar. It's between 6 and 9 points, so now I know that one glucose tablet is usually enough to get me back into target range.

Jen

Jen is offline  
Old 02-28-2012, 20:35   #6
Senior Member
 
Adjitater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Blair, NE, USA
Posts: 633

Member Type
Type 1
Diagnosed in 1972

200 likes received
7 likes given
Default

I have complete hypo unawareness so there are no funny ones. I do not feel a thing until I get in the low 20's and much lower than that and it is lights out for me. 17 is the lowest low that i have ever had as recorded in the emergency room. It took 500 grams of D50 pushed through an IV to get me back. The ER head nurse was waiting for me to wake up and said,"glad to see you made it. I wasn't sure you were going to. I was out for almost 2 hours.

__________________

Type 1 for 40 years now so dont tell me how to eat.
Adjitater is offline  
Old 02-28-2012, 21:26   #7
AnnC
Guest
 
Posts: n/a


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adjitater View Post
I have complete hypo unawareness so there are no funny ones. I do not feel a thing until I get in the low 20's and much lower than that and it is lights out for me. 17 is the lowest low that i have ever had as recorded in the emergency room. It took 500 grams of D50 pushed through an IV to get me back. The ER head nurse was waiting for me to wake up and said,"glad to see you made it. I wasn't sure you were going to. I was out for almost 2 hours.
That one definitely qualifies as dangerous rather than funny!

 
Old 02-29-2012, 00:24   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 24,394

Member Type
Type 2
Diagnosed in 2009

23930 likes received
32255 likes given
Default

I'm sure glad you lived to tell about it, Adjitater . . . and agree - there are no funny ones.




Patdart likes this.
Shanny is offline  
Old 02-29-2012, 03:04   #9
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: perth australia
Posts: 133

Member Type
Type 1
Diagnosed in 2012

25 likes received
13 likes given
Default

i realise all lows are dangerous, but was hoping some people had some stories they could look back now and laugh at what went on or what they did. Just trying to bring a smile to the forum!

timmy is offline  
Old 02-29-2012, 03:28   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 24,394

Member Type
Type 2
Diagnosed in 2009

23930 likes received
32255 likes given
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmy View Post
i realise all lows are dangerous, but was hoping some people had some stories they could look back now and laugh at what went on or what they did. Just trying to bring a smile to the forum!
Now don't YOU start getting defensive! It's just that the aftermath is feeling like you've been dragged through a knothole backward - or do you not get the hypo hangover?




Shanny is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
3 liters of water in a day? Dangerous? TN Dad Diabetes Diet and Nutrition 11 02-09-2012 16:14
Still funny one year later::funny if you'r really old ColaJim Diabetes Forum Lounge 0 09-25-2011 19:59
If it hadn't been for my son... (dangerous low) Cadydid Diabetes 1 08-24-2011 02:12
funny if you'r really old ColaJim Diabetes Forum Lounge 4 08-25-2010 22:52
Is it dangerous to combine two sulfonylureas? Ham Aviv Diabetes Treatment 5 01-07-2009 23:57

LEGAL NOTICE
By using this Website, you agree to abide by our Terms and Conditions (the "Terms"). This notice does not replace our Terms, which you must read in full as they contain important information. You must not post any defamatory, unlawful or undesirable content, or any content copied from a third party, on the Website. You must not copy material from the Website except in accordance with the Terms. This Website gives users an opportunity to share information only and is not intended to contain any advice which you should rely upon. It does not replace the need to take professional or other advice. We have no liability to you or any other person in respect of any content on this Website.


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 15:00.




Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.