My diabetes - Page 2

Go Back   The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online > Diabetes Forum Community > Diabetes

Diabetes This section of the forum can be used to discuss anything and everything to do with Diabetes. Please use this general Diabetes section for any comments or discussions that don't fit into the more specific forum categories below. Please also ensure that all posts and threads are on topic, about Diabetes.


Like Tree84Likes

My diabetes - Page 2


Closed Thread
 
Shared Thread Thread Tools
Old 09-26-2018, 23:38   #11
Moderator
 
itissteve's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Minnesota, USA
Posts: 1,295

Member Type
Type 2
Diagnosed in 2011

981 likes received
413 likes given
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratter51 View Post
After all that bad food, the reading should have been way over 200. But it was not. Go figure..... makes me think itís pre Diabetes not Diabetes. A real diabetic would have way over 200 reading right???
There's a lot going on there. What did you do for exercise after eating? When do you take your Metformin (and what kind is it)? Did you measure at three hours after (it takes some foods that long to register increases in BG levels)?

Your body still can produce some of the insulin it needs -- but, obviously, not enough, as your numerous reports of fasting blood glucose levels of 149 attest. It's likely that your pancreas responded to your Mickey Dee's meal with enough insulin to counteract most of those carbs -- but then it may have overshot the runway, so to speak, producing more insulin than your body needed, or your body's cells just got another little bit worse at reacting to the proper balance of glucose and insulin. Or both.

None of that causes visible signs of sickness now, but mark it that the damage is being done. By the time you see confirmed evidence of the damage, there will be no retreat, no walking back from the abyss.

Ratter51, you have diabetes. If you did not have diabetes, your doctor would not be having you take Metformin. If you did not have diabetes, your fasting blood glucose levels would be around 100 or lower, not in the mid-100s (as you've reported several times in this forum). It does not change anything in your body to call it "pre-diabetes" or "a mild case". You have diabetes.

The sooner you move to the "acceptance" stage (hard as that may be; it was hard for all of us and maybe not all of us are 100% there yet), the sooner you'll start avoiding the worst complications of diabetes. It is, of course, your own choice. But you're making a big bet in thinking you can just motor on until things get worse. There's a reason the odds are big -- payoff doesn't happen often.

__________________
Now with less sugar!

A1c 10-30-2018 still 5.6 with no meds. Thank you LCHF!
itissteve is online now  
Old 09-27-2018, 00:37   #12
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: NJ USA
Posts: 161

Member Type
Type 2
Diagnosed in 2017

26 likes received
2 likes given
Default

I’m taking 500 my twice a day, half hour after I eat and at night. Try to do it 12 hours apart. So it’s a thousand mg a day. I’m taking other meds too unrelated to the sugar issue. I was walking a mile or two each morning but cut way down on that because it’s a pain in the ass sometimes. But I get exercise somehow throughout the day doing things. Sometimes I like to walk sometimes I don’t. I dont feel it does much. It does help loosen up the muscles though. So that’s good. My PCP tells me the A1C is down from 7.1 to 6.8 and he told me my sugar is under excellent control. So I do not see the urgency to go crazy and panic at this time. My last full eye exam results were no signs of Diabetes at all.
I think the modern view on Diabetes is changing as an article I posted says testing with glucose meter everyday is a waste because A1C tells the story..things like that. My feet are fine no issues. If I do have Diabetes it’s very very minor and under excellent control. It’s not like my A1C is in the 8 range.
So far no damage I am aware of. Dr says it’s under excellent control like I said. In fact I’m going to ask him if I can stop the Metformin in My Oct appointment. I have no idea what he will say. So if my “Diabetes is under e cellent control....why worry???? Right?

Ratter51 is offline  
Old 09-27-2018, 04:45   #13
Moderator
 
itissteve's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Minnesota, USA
Posts: 1,295

Member Type
Type 2
Diagnosed in 2011

981 likes received
413 likes given
Default

Ratter51, one of us is right. Only time will tell.

__________________
Now with less sugar!

A1c 10-30-2018 still 5.6 with no meds. Thank you LCHF!
itissteve is online now  
 
Old 09-27-2018, 05:02   #14
Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: USA
Posts: 1,083

Member Type
Type 2
Diagnosed in 2016

805 likes received
442 likes given
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratter51 View Post
Iím taking 500 my twice a day, half hour after I eat and at night. Try to do it 12 hours apart. So itís a thousand mg a day. Iím taking other meds too unrelated to the sugar issue. I was walking a mile or two each morning but cut way down on that because itís a pain in the ass sometimes. But I get exercise somehow throughout the day doing things. Sometimes I like to walk sometimes I donít. I dont feel it does much. It does help loosen up the muscles though. So thatís good. My PCP tells me the A1C is down from 7.1 to 6.8 and he told me my sugar is under excellent control. So I do not see the urgency to go crazy and panic at this time. My last full eye exam results were no signs of Diabetes at all.
I think the modern view on Diabetes is changing as an article I posted says testing with glucose meter everyday is a waste because A1C tells the story..things like that. My feet are fine no issues. If I do have Diabetes itís very very minor and under excellent control. Itís not like my A1C is in the 8 range.
So far no damage I am aware of. Dr says itís under excellent control like I said. In fact Iím going to ask him if I can stop the Metformin in My Oct appointment. I have no idea what he will say. So if my ďDiabetes is under e cellent control....why worry???? Right?
interesting...

I don't take medication at all and my numbers are between 75 and 90 at all times...and I HAVE full blown diabetes. kinda makes you think.

If I was taking medicine, then the medicine would be controlling my diabetes, not me.

you are in excellent control because your medication is assisting. Thats what medication does... and keeps doing as we up the dosage.

Good luck Ratter51. I hope you never have to come to this site for any advice like others who thought like you, and did what you are doing have come for. They all thought the same.

you can be the exception... i'm sure it happens.


__________________
Here are some good starting points to read

Blood Sugar 101 - VERY informative and accurate
http://www.diabetesforum.com/diabete...ng-method.html a tried and true testing method
https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb lists foods for LCHF

""You take the blue pill, the story ends. You wake up in your bed and believe whatever the doctors want you to believe. You take the red pill, you stay in Wonderland, and I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes." "
hftmrock is offline  
Old 09-27-2018, 11:22   #15
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: NJ USA
Posts: 161

Member Type
Type 2
Diagnosed in 2017

26 likes received
2 likes given
Default

What are you doing to keep numbers so low? I had a rough night because of all the fat I ate....bad night.

Ratter51 is offline  
Old 09-27-2018, 11:40   #16
Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: USA
Posts: 1,083

Member Type
Type 2
Diagnosed in 2016

805 likes received
442 likes given
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratter51 View Post
What are you doing to keep numbers so low? I had a rough night because of all the fat I ate....bad night.
I live a keto lifestyle vlc/hf. When you say rough night , could you elaborate and also give what you ate. We might have some suggestions

__________________
Here are some good starting points to read

Blood Sugar 101 - VERY informative and accurate
http://www.diabetesforum.com/diabete...ng-method.html a tried and true testing method
https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb lists foods for LCHF

""You take the blue pill, the story ends. You wake up in your bed and believe whatever the doctors want you to believe. You take the red pill, you stay in Wonderland, and I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes." "
hftmrock is offline  
Old 09-27-2018, 12:03   #17
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: NJ USA
Posts: 161

Member Type
Type 2
Diagnosed in 2017

26 likes received
2 likes given
Default

McDonalds fries burger and sundae lunch time and dinner black beans and rice with chopped up tailor ham onions peppers and half a loaf white Italian buttered bread. Home made lemon slice in graham cracker pie crust. The white bread taste better than brown bread but I also like brown bread too. The rice was brown rice

Ratter51 is offline  
Old 09-27-2018, 12:42   #18
Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: USA
Posts: 1,083

Member Type
Type 2
Diagnosed in 2016

805 likes received
442 likes given
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratter51 View Post
McDonalds fries burger and sundae lunch time and dinner black beans and rice with chopped up tailor ham onions peppers and half a loaf white Italian buttered bread. Home made lemon slice in graham cracker pie crust. The white bread taste better than brown bread but I also like brown bread too. The rice was brown rice
That’s way more carbs than fat. I would think it was all the carbs and sugar that had your reaction. Your body had to work hard to move the sugar into your cells .

__________________
Here are some good starting points to read

Blood Sugar 101 - VERY informative and accurate
http://www.diabetesforum.com/diabete...ng-method.html a tried and true testing method
https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb lists foods for LCHF

""You take the blue pill, the story ends. You wake up in your bed and believe whatever the doctors want you to believe. You take the red pill, you stay in Wonderland, and I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes." "
hftmrock is offline  
Old 09-27-2018, 12:51   #19
Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: USA
Posts: 1,083

Member Type
Type 2
Diagnosed in 2016

805 likes received
442 likes given
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratter51 View Post
McDonalds fries burger and sundae lunch time and dinner black beans and rice with chopped up tailor ham onions peppers and half a loaf white Italian buttered bread. Home made lemon slice in graham cracker pie crust. The white bread taste better than brown bread but I also like brown bread too. The rice was brown rice
I did a guesstimate and you had about 250g of carbs . For someone who has diabetes (prediabetes or regular diabetes ), that would be a lot. Not sure if you had breakfast or any sugary drinks . It would certainly give me a tough night

__________________
Here are some good starting points to read

Blood Sugar 101 - VERY informative and accurate
http://www.diabetesforum.com/diabete...ng-method.html a tried and true testing method
https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb lists foods for LCHF

""You take the blue pill, the story ends. You wake up in your bed and believe whatever the doctors want you to believe. You take the red pill, you stay in Wonderland, and I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes." "
hftmrock is offline  
Old 09-27-2018, 13:35   #20
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: NJ USA
Posts: 161

Member Type
Type 2
Diagnosed in 2017

26 likes received
2 likes given
Default

Hi,I don’t drink sugary drinks other than diet cola. I eat fruit and vegetables and meat. This morning I’ll give one more example as I’m sure no one wants to hear what I eat..... I had an egg sandwich at the diner and coffee I skipped the bacon today because of the bad night last night. Iour breakfast this morning was a buttered toasted roll and they put 2 eggs on it. A leaf of lettuce. Cup of coffee. Forgot to mention big bacon eater but we get it crispy because it taste better to us and the bad stuff is cooked away. We still put the bacon on a paper towel to get anymore grease off. The diner only had white rolls. BUT McDonalds breakfast sandwiches have Canadian bacon..... so I don’t know if that concidered real bacon or ham. I go to McDonalds a couple times a week. WAWA is my main stop..... but their prices are inching up. That’s my story. What will really throw a wrench into the works if my next A1C goes even lower. Eat good A1C goes up...eat not the best A1C goes down. Go figure that one out. Lolaughs thanks for the responses.


Last edited by Ratter51; 09-27-2018 at 13:39.
Ratter51 is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Told my mum about my Dx jormantha Diabetes Forum Lounge 14 07-23-2012 13:47
Awesome DR Visit and Request for help for my dr on my 'no statin' position miss djax Diabetes 13 02-27-2012 09:31
Was it my eating or my exercising thcri Diabetes 16 12-16-2011 13:55
Is this related to my Diabetes? Pain in my thumb kissmygrits Diabetes Symptoms 9 10-12-2011 13:48
Diabetes: my diet and my kidney irembright Diabetes Diet and Nutrition 0 03-09-2009 15:50

LEGAL NOTICE
By using this Website, you agree to abide by our Terms and Conditions (the "Terms"). This notice does not replace our Terms, which you must read in full as they contain important information. You must not post any defamatory, unlawful or undesirable content, or any content copied from a third party, on the Website. You must not copy material from the Website except in accordance with the Terms. This Website gives users an opportunity to share information only and is not intended to contain any advice which you should rely upon. It does not replace the need to take professional or other advice. We have no liability to you or any other person in respect of any content on this Website.


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 20:03.




Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.