The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online

The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online (https://www.diabetesforum.com/forum.php)
-   Family and Friends of Diabetics (https://www.diabetesforum.com/family-friends-diabetics/)
-   -   Caring for people with diabetes (https://www.diabetesforum.com/family-friends-diabetics/97866-caring-people-diabetes.html)

heidiluise90 05-14-2018 21:00

Caring for someone with Diabetes 2
 
Note from moderator - posts from a second thread on the same subject have been merged - they appear in chronological order so there may be duplicate responses and rough transitions.


I currently care for someone with diabetes type 2. Before I started caring for this person their blood sugar levels averaged out at over 200. Other people that care for this person get nervous when the blood sugars are under 150. So a banana is given to keep her stabilized. I have been very careful about what I feed this person as I feel that blood sugars over 200 are high. Consistently, since being very careful about what I feed this person, their levels have been between 106 and 180.
Can someone tell me, if my goal range is appropriate? Is an average blood sugar of over 200 to high? When this person is not with me, the levels go back up to 200 or more. This person does take insulin 4 times a day. They also have a carb count of 45 carbs per meal. Help!

xring 05-14-2018 22:03

It depends on several factors - one of them being the person's age. For someone around 70-80 years old, trying to get ideal blood sugar levels may be risky due to lows.
Another factor is the difference in tolerance for lower sugar levels. For example, I am in trouble when I'm near 100 - I start shaking uncontrollably, pounding heart, etc. At 90, I'm not safe to drive or walk on stairs. For many diabetics, those numbers are ideal.
If I go to sleep under 150, I'll sometimes wake up with a severe low, soaking wet. Most diabetics are fine going to sleep at 90-100.

mbuster 05-14-2018 22:41

You can learn a lot about diabetes on a site we recommend to a lot of new diabetics that join the forum, Bloodsugar101.

Yes 200 is too high, and 106 to 180 is better. Below 150 all the time would be even better yet, but how are you lowering her BG, with the foods you allow her to eat?

Are you the one administering the insulin injections? What kind of insulin is it and what determines the dosage she is getting?

heidiluise90 05-14-2018 22:49

Caring for people with diabetes
 
Hi everyone. Im new here and currently caring for someone with diabetes. Im here for advice and ideas on food etc. Thank you!

heidiluise90 05-14-2018 22:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by xring (Post 1298170)
It depends on several factors - one of them being the person's age. For someone around 70-80 years old, trying to get ideal blood sugar levels may be risky due to lows.
Another factor is the difference in tolerance for lower sugar levels. For example, I am in trouble when I'm near 100 - I start shaking uncontrollably, pounding heart, etc. At 90, I'm not safe to drive or walk on stairs. For many diabetics, those numbers are ideal.
If I go to sleep under 150, I'll sometimes wake up with a severe low, soaking wet. Most diabetics are fine going to sleep at 90-100.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbuster (Post 1298202)
You can learn a lot about diabetes on a site we recommend to a lot of new diabetics that join the forum, Bloodsugar101.

Yes 200 is too high, and 106 to 180 is better. Below 150 all the time would be even better yet, but how are you lowering her BG, with the foods you allow her to eat?

Are you the one administering the insulin injections? What kind of insulin is it and what determines the dosage she is getting?

I'm giving her high fiber, low fat, preferably vegetarian, lots of fruits and veggies. I will start administering insulin soon and its determined by her blodd sugar level. Lantus and Novolin. It has been difficult creating meals that are good for her because her home has a lot of processed foods. The other night I made her vegetarian chili and her levels were 125 2 hours after.

mbuster 05-14-2018 23:01

I would recommend a low carb diet. I personally eat a very low carb, keto diet. DietDoctor Low Carb for Beginners has a lot of information about this way of eating

There are also lots of good meal and recipe threads here on the forum.

hftmrock 05-15-2018 01:01

Welcome!!!

Can we get some more information about the person you are caring for

type of diabetes (1, 2, LADA, etc)
medication
age (the area of age if you dont want to be exact)
symptoms if any
basic diet right now


this can help us provide our experiences that you can review and decide how you can help the person you are caring for.:vs_cool:

heidiluise90 05-15-2018 01:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by hftmrock (Post 1298274)
Welcome!!!

Can we get some more information about the person you are caring for

type of diabetes (1, 2, LADA, etc)
medication
age (the area of age if you dont want to be exact)
symptoms if any
basic diet right now


this can help us provide our experiences that you can review and decide how you can help the person you are caring for.[IMG class=inlineimg]http://www.diabetesforum.com/images/smilies/vs_cool.gif[/IMG]

60 years old, female, type 2 diabetes, seemingly uncontrolled blood sugars despite 4 insulin injections everyday, blood sugars average 200 or more. When Im caring for her they stay between 106 and 180, although I try to get them lower than 180. Been feeding her healthier foods to bring down levels. I also posted in another forum "Caring for someone with Diabetes" to help gain insight. I aim for a lot of fiber, nutrient rich foods.

heidiluise90 05-15-2018 01:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by heidiluise90 (Post 1298282)
Quote:

Originally Posted by hftmrock (Post 1298274)
Welcome!!!

Can we get some more information about the person you are caring for

type of diabetes (1, 2, LADA, etc)
medication
age (the area of age if you dont want to be exact)
symptoms if any
basic diet right now


this can help us provide our experiences that you can review and decide how you can help the person you are caring for.[IMG class=inlineimg]http://www.diabetesforum.com/images/smilies/vs_cool.gif[/IMG]

60 years old, female, type 2 diabetes, seemingly uncontrolled blood sugars despite 4 insulin injections everyday, blood sugars average 200 or more. When Im caring for her they stay between 106 and 180, although I try to get them lower than 180. Been feeding her healthier foods to bring down levels. I also posted in another forum "Caring for someone with Diabetes" to help gain insight. I aim for a lot of fiber, nutrient rich foods.

Lots of processed foods in home, so it is hard to be creative to make something that won't spike blood sugar.

hftmrock 05-15-2018 04:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by heidiluise90 (Post 1298282)
60 years old, female, type 2 diabetes, seemingly uncontrolled blood sugars despite 4 insulin injections everyday, blood sugars average 200 or more. When Im caring for her they stay between 106 and 180, although I try to get them lower than 180. Been feeding her healthier foods to bring down levels. I also posted in another forum "Caring for someone with Diabetes" to help gain insight. I aim for a lot of fiber, nutrient rich foods.

For many here.. this can mean so many different things. can you try to be more specific

Please watch this video


this will help you gain some insight on something not widely publicized. (hint... potatoes are bad and bacon and cheese are good)

After watching the video, check out the links in my signature . I am sure you will have questions

and it is NOT hard to have processed food in the house for a diabetic to eat. baby steps here. watch the video and check out the links


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 06:03.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.