The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online

The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online (https://www.diabetesforum.com/forum.php)
-   Forum Announcements (https://www.diabetesforum.com/forum-announcements/)
-   -   Mark Off "Remember Me" (https://www.diabetesforum.com/forum-announcements/60-mark-off-remember-me.html)

bob 09-18-2007 00:05

Mark Off "Remember Me"
 
When you are logging in; please mark off "remember me". I received several comments of users who have typed huge messages and when they tried to submit them, lost all their data because in the process of writing the message the cookie (internet browser thing) expired and they got logged off.

You can always safely submit long messages by selecting the message and copy the contents of your message (right click after you have selected the contents of the message and then choose copy) after you have written it and before you have submitted it. Should things go wrong you can always get your written message back by pressing CTRL-V or Right-click on the mouse and select PASTE. This shouldn't be necessary normally but if you are writing long messages you can never be too sure...

I hope this doesn't discourage you from writing long message's ... ;)

Richard157 11-22-2008 02:45

A very good bit of advice Bob! I learned this last year after losing several long posts and my patience and temper as well! Lol!

Anthill 11-22-2008 06:58

Thanks Bob, I have found that logging in while I did checked the "remember me" check box and just now have done this without it. Ahh the web, What can we do without it LOL. :D
And it has shut me out again. :( Sorry Bob. :confused:

AtticusFinch 02-05-2011 06:01

thank you for the tip

casasi1 08-26-2012 22:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob (Post 120)
When you are logging in; please mark off "remember me". I received several comments of users who have typed huge messages and when they tried to submit them, lost all their data because in the process of writing the message the cookie (internet browser thing) expired and they got logged off.

You can always safely submit long messages by selecting the message and copy the contents of your message (right click after you have selected the contents of the message and then choose copy) after you have written it and before you have submitted it. Should things go wrong you can always get your written message back by pressing CTRL-V or Right-click on the mouse and select PASTE. This shouldn't be necessary normally but if you are writing long messages you can never be too sure...

I hope this doesn't discourage you from writing long message's ... ;)

Good tip! I haven't yet encountered that problem on this forum but have in others. It is frustrating.

Shanny 08-26-2012 22:12

Browsers can be complicit in this problem too - I find that Firefox is good at saving unposted text if for whatever reason I am bounced out of the screen, as long as the screen didn't get closed. I haven't used Chrome/Safari/etc. enough to know about those, but I remember IE would always lose my message, and it's one of many reasons I avoid IE like the plague. :rolleyes:




AnnC 08-26-2012 23:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shanny (Post 114330)
Browsers can be complicit in this problem too - I find that Firefox is good at saving unposted text if for whatever reason I am bounced out of the screen, as long as the screen didn't get closed. I haven't used Chrome/Safari/etc. enough to know about those, but I remember IE would always lose my message, and it's one of many reasons I avoid IE like the plague. :rolleyes:

One of the joys of using a Mac is that IE isn't an option. I've been using vBulletin forums since 2004 and have always clicked Remember Me. And I never, ever log out unless I'm testing a forum I administer. If I want/need to clear cookies, I quit the browser or restart the Mac. I've never, in this time, lost a message I was typing because I was timed out. Browsers I use are: Chrome (mostly), Firefox, Safari and Opera. Opera, by default, stores very few cookies (one of the reasons the real geeks use it and love it) so it ignores the 'Remember me' checkbox anyway. :)

Shanny 08-27-2012 00:13

Opera is indeed an extremely efficient browser. I don't remember why I stopped using it - perhaps the kids gave us a new computer & I never got around to installing it. But I was never disappointed with Opera. I even bought it to be rid of the ads, and that's saying something for an old skinflint like me.




AnnC 08-27-2012 00:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shanny (Post 114375)
Opera is indeed an extremely efficient browser. I don't remember why I stopped using it - perhaps the kids gave us a new computer & I never got around to installing it. But I was never disappointed with Opera. I even bought it to be rid of the ads, and that's saying something for an old skinflint like me.

Yes, I paid for it as well, many years ago. :) And I remember paying for Netscape and getting a CD in the mail. All the way from the US! :eek:

VeeJay 08-27-2012 00:42

When I go to compose a long message, I sometimes write it in my word processing program. I can leave and come back to it whenever I want. And, it has spell check. I highlight and copy the text when I'm ready to post and then paste it in the message area here, and it's ready to go immediately - unless I want to add some smilies. :)


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 09:25.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.