Long-Time Lurker

Go Back   The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online > Diabetes Forum Start Here > New Member Introductions

New Member Introductions Please start by introducing yourself to the rest of our community. We would be grateful if you could tell us a little bit about yourself and your experiences with Diabetes. The main aim of our community is to share experiences, knowledge and help increase the understanding and awareness of Diabetes. The introductions forum is a great place to start with the community. ■ RulesGetting Started With DiabetesForum.com


Like Tree11Likes
  • 1 Post By David Burke
  • 1 Post By Shanny
  • 1 Post By moon
  • 3 Post By TigerLil
  • 1 Post By John.in.France
  • 1 Post By Miss_Blue
  • 1 Post By TigerLil
  • 1 Post By Miss_Blue
  • 1 Post By TigerLil

Long-Time Lurker


Closed Thread
 
Shared Thread Thread Tools
Old 06-26-2012, 15:49   #1
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: U.S.
Posts: 13

Member Type
Type Undiagnosed
Diagnosed in 2011

6 likes received
14 likes given
Default Long-Time Lurker

My Numbers
4-2011 A1c = 6.0
10-2011 A1c = 5.7
4-2012 A1c = 5.9
Chol = 178; LDL =112; HDL = 38

Fbg in the 80's, post meals usually in the 120's to 130's
No meds

Had to take 2 rounds of steroids a while back, I figure that's the reason for the jump in my A1c from 5.7 to 5.9
----------
My Husband's Numbers
4-2011 A1c = 6.7
7-2011 A1c = 6.3
10-2011 A1c = 5.9
Chol = 200; LDL = 123; HDL = 59
4-2012 A1c =6.0
Chol = 194; LDL = 113; HDL = 60; Tri = 107; BP = 118/76

No meds

He refuses to test his bg, but at least he is eating low carb/high fat. He has been taking bp meds for about 2 yrs. and a statin for several years.
----------
I came home from the doctor's office kind of in a panic in April of last year. The doc told me I wasn't prediabetic yet, to cut down on carbs and he'd see me in 6 months. I guess the good thing about that is it isn't on my record that I have diabetes, which means no pre-existing. I didn't have the slightest idea what to do from there, so I started looking online for answers and luckily the same day I found this forum. I read blood sugar 101 and did lots of reading about how to do lchf. You guys saved our diabetic rear ends, and I'm very grateful to all of you.

The reason I decided to unlurk is to ask a question. I would like to keep up on the latest diabetic news, but I know a lot of diabetes websites put out bull honky. Can you give me a link to a good site? Thanks.

TigerLil is offline  
Old 06-26-2012, 16:12   #2
Inactive Member
 
David Burke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 5,318

Member Type
Type Undiagnosed
Diagnosed in None

5321 likes received
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLil
My Numbers
4-2011 A1c = 6.0
10-2011 A1c = 5.7
4-2012 A1c = 5.9
Chol = 178; LDL =112; HDL = 38

Fbg in the 80's, post meals usually in the 120's to 130's
No meds

Had to take 2 rounds of steroids a while back, I figure that's the reason for the jump in my A1c from 5.7 to 5.9
----------
My Husband's Numbers
4-2011 A1c = 6.7
7-2011 A1c = 6.3
10-2011 A1c = 5.9
Chol = 200; LDL = 123; HDL = 59
4-2012 A1c =6.0
Chol = 194; LDL = 113; HDL = 60; Tri = 107; BP = 118/76

No meds

He refuses to test his bg, but at least he is eating low carb/high fat. He has been taking bp meds for about 2 yrs. and a statin for several years.
----------
I came home from the doctor's office kind of in a panic in April of last year. The doc told me I wasn't prediabetic yet, to cut down on carbs and he'd see me in 6 months. I guess the good thing about that is it isn't on my record that I have diabetes, which means no pre-existing. I didn't have the slightest idea what to do from there, so I started looking online for answers and luckily the same day I found this forum. I read blood sugar 101 and did lots of reading about how to do lchf. You guys saved our diabetic rear ends, and I'm very grateful to all of you.

The reason I decided to unlurk is to ask a question. I would like to keep up on the latest diabetic news, but I know a lot of diabetes websites put out bull honky. Can you give me a link to a good site? Thanks.
Welcome and glad you decided to unlurk!

If you are Facebook you can get updates from bloodsugar101. She covers a lot of the stories that come out and how they relate to PWD. Just like the page and you should get the posts from then.

Good job on getting all those numbers down! They look awesome.

Sent from my iPhone

TigerLil likes this.
David Burke is offline  
Old 06-26-2012, 16:54   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 24,394

Member Type
Type 2
Diagnosed in 2009

23929 likes received
32255 likes given
Default

We LOVE it when our lurkers de-lurk! Welcome aboard, TigerLil!

Since David has already mentioned BS101 & Jenny Ruhl, it's worth adding that she also writes a blog found at Diabetes Update. Other trustworthy experts are Dr. Michael Eades & Dr. Andreas Eenfeldt . . . there are more, but I haven't had my coffee yet, so my mind is a little sluggish.

Thank you for joining us!




TigerLil likes this.
Shanny is offline  
 
Old 06-26-2012, 20:48   #4
Moderator
 
moon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 6,045

Member Type
Type 2
Diagnosed in 2011

5696 likes received
3335 likes given
Default

Yeah - another de-lurker! Welcome to the forum, and major kudos on being pro-active. You got ahead of the curve and I'm crazy envious but won't hold it against you

No comment on the statins - oops, I just did. In your reading I'm sure you've come across the controversial aspect of them so I'll leave it alone. But ... his HDL is awesome, and it's diet he has to thank for that, and you for making the household changes.

Thanks for pulling your chair out into the open.

TigerLil likes this.
__________________
Dx'ed Feb 2011 w/ BS > 600
A1C: . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Other Stuff
2/13/11 .. 14.7 . . . . . . Trig/HDL ratio .. 5.5 to 2.2 in 6 mo
5/23/11 .. 6.2 . . . . . . . Low-carb/high healthy-fat diet
9/8/11 .... 5.6 . . . . . . . No meds, No statin
2/24/16 .... basal/bolus insulin 2-3 days/wk due to steroids

moon is offline  
Old 06-26-2012, 21:30   #5
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: U.S.
Posts: 13

Member Type
Type Undiagnosed
Diagnosed in 2011

6 likes received
14 likes given
Default

I've been harping at him about the statins, but doctor knows best. Not!

As for my readings, I know I have diabetes, but because my doc doesn't think so, diabetes can't be counted as a preexisting condition. That might come in handy some day, you never know.

Miss_Blue, moon and Patdart like this.
TigerLil is offline  
Old 06-26-2012, 21:41   #6
Active Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 8,607


10903 likes received
1862 likes given
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLil View Post
I've been harping at him about the statins, but doctor knows best. Not!

As for my readings, I know I have diabetes, but because my doc doesn't think so, diabetes can't be counted as a preexisting condition. That might come in handy some day, you never know.
You made a very good decision when you took the view that your own numbers say "diabetic" despite the official "non diagnosis". By sticking to the LCHF diet, hopefully they will stay that way and you will be able to stay away from medication of any sort.

Sorry, but I do agree with Moon's non comment on the statin. However I have a mother and father-in-law who are dutifully following their doctor's orders on diet and medication for their hypertension. They know the doctor's advice is better than anything the wife and I say. They can't explain why they are still putting on weight and their symptoms getting worse. Unfortunately, we can!

Good luck, and your OH shares my luck too - a wife who cares!

TigerLil likes this.
John.in.France is offline  
Old 06-26-2012, 21:43   #7
Senior Member
 
Miss_Blue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 561

Member Type
Type 2
Diagnosed in 2008

526 likes received
478 likes given
Default

Welcome! No need for a formal diagnosis as long as you know you have diabetes. The only problem will be if you want to start medication, like Metformin, to help control blood sugar.

I have a diabetic friend whom I gave "The Cholesterol Delusion" based off recommendations from this forum and others. Her doctor prescribed her statins that have wrecked her body and she's just now recovering. She absolutely loved it. Maybe your husband would be open to reading it.

TigerLil likes this.
Miss_Blue is offline  
Old 06-26-2012, 22:01   #8
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: U.S.
Posts: 13

Member Type
Type Undiagnosed
Diagnosed in 2011

6 likes received
14 likes given
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss_Blue View Post
Maybe your husband would be open to reading it.
My husband... read?!! That's a contradiction in terms. But thanks for the suggestion. I'm hoping on his next doctor's appointment he'll let me go in with him and I can have a discussion with the doc. I don't see why he wouldn't say it's ok to drop the statin since his cholesterol is under 200. It hasn't been that low in years.

Miss_Blue likes this.
TigerLil is offline  
Old 06-26-2012, 23:00   #9
Senior Member
 
Miss_Blue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 561

Member Type
Type 2
Diagnosed in 2008

526 likes received
478 likes given
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLil View Post
My husband... read?!! That's a contradiction in terms. But thanks for the suggestion. I'm hoping on his next doctor's appointment he'll let me go in with him and I can have a discussion with the doc. I don't see why he wouldn't say it's ok to drop the statin since his cholesterol is under 200. It hasn't been that low in years.
Heh. I hope his doctor is open, but sometimes they prescribe statins almost as a precautionary measure even when cholesterol is normal.

TigerLil likes this.
Miss_Blue is offline  
Old 06-27-2012, 02:20   #10
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: U.S.
Posts: 13

Member Type
Type Undiagnosed
Diagnosed in 2011

6 likes received
14 likes given
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss_Blue View Post
Heh. I hope his doctor is open, but sometimes they prescribe statins almost as a precautionary measure even when cholesterol is normal.
My doctor is easy, it's my husband who is the problem. Last time he refused to let me go in with him. I know it was because he knew I was going to ask about the statins. He said if the doctor wanted to take him off of it, he would do it on his own. I hope by the time his next appointment rolls around he forgets the statin. I can figure out something to ask the doc about myself and use that as an excuse to go in.

Miss_Blue likes this.
TigerLil is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Long time listener first time calling lol profpoco New Member Introductions 9 06-22-2012 05:44
Long time T1-new attitude! Fly Fisher New Member Introductions 6 12-27-2011 15:06
Long time no post.. Scrimbles Diabetes Forum Lounge 6 08-03-2011 13:34
Long time diabetics Countrygal Diabetes 5 02-22-2011 10:52
Long time diabetic - looking for sympathy bnenyiii New Member Introductions 26 09-16-2010 00:49

LEGAL NOTICE
By using this Website, you agree to abide by our Terms and Conditions (the "Terms"). This notice does not replace our Terms, which you must read in full as they contain important information. You must not post any defamatory, unlawful or undesirable content, or any content copied from a third party, on the Website. You must not copy material from the Website except in accordance with the Terms. This Website gives users an opportunity to share information only and is not intended to contain any advice which you should rely upon. It does not replace the need to take professional or other advice. We have no liability to you or any other person in respect of any content on this Website.


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 23:49.




Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.