The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online

The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online (https://www.diabetesforum.com/forum.php)
-   New Member Introductions (https://www.diabetesforum.com/new-member-introductions/)
-   -   Blood sugar higher in the morning (https://www.diabetesforum.com/new-member-introductions/11810-blood-sugar-higher-morning.html)

Maggiemoo 10-01-2012 17:01

Blood sugar higher in the morning
 
Hi! I am new to this forum and recently diagnosed as a type two. My blood sugar is always higher in the morning than the night before. I have not had a blood sugar reading below 100 in the morning. Even if it is below 100 when I go to bed at night - it is over 100 when I test the next morning. I'm not sure whether to worry or what to do about that.

hans 10-01-2012 17:25

Very common. Called the dawn phenomen. The liver release glucose in the morning just to make you more alert when you go out of bed. Others here at the forum might have a more explicit explanation than I have.

shari81 10-01-2012 21:14

welcome! I have that problem too but even my morning bs readings have been coming down over time.

David Burke 10-01-2012 21:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by shari81
welcome! I have that problem too but even my morning bs readings have been coming down over time.

I've been contemplating a theory, and maybe those on here with more analytical mind sets than I've got have already looked at this.
We know that blood is not a homogenous liquid. The concentration of glucose varies drop by drop, hence the variations in readings some people see when testing the same finger seconds apart.
We also know that when sleeping blood can "pool" in various regions of the body.
I think the DP we see at times, while a valid and measurable event, can be mitigated by waiting a couple of minutes after waking to test. Get the blood flowing, rinse hands with very hot water, track which fingers consistently give higher readings regardless of time of day and avoid those for FBG.

Not trying to jack the thread but seeing if this thinking can help alleviate the DP many of us have.

Sent from my iPhone

MCS 10-01-2012 21:45

I have to do just that every morning. I wash my hands at the same time preheat my coffee cup with as hot a water as I can stand. I have to work my fingers around before I do my test or else I can get a 20 pt spread in either direction.

silvertiger 10-01-2012 22:04

Dawn Phenomenon is the probable cause. Once you've eaten lower-carb for a while it might go away since your liver will have fewer carbs to store.

Patdart 10-02-2012 01:38

I know my FG dropped after I'd been on this diet (less than 30 a day) for months, so don't give up hope...it is the last to rise and the last to drop. just worry about your daytime #'s and basically ignore the fastings.

Good luck,




Maggiemoo 10-02-2012 03:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maggiemoo
Hi! I am new to this forum and recently diagnosed as a type two. My blood sugar is always higher in the morning than the night before. I have not had a blood sugar reading below 100 in the morning. Even if it is below 100 when I go to bed at night - it is over 100 when I test the next morning. I'm not sure whether to worry or what to do about that.

Thank you everybody! This is very helpful!

Maggiemoo 10-02-2012 03:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Burke

I've been contemplating a theory, and maybe those on here with more analytical mind sets than I've got have already looked at this.
We know that blood is not a homogenous liquid. The concentration of glucose varies drop by drop, hence the variations in readings some people see when testing the same finger seconds apart.
We also know that when sleeping blood can "pool" in various regions of the body.
I think the DP we see at times, while a valid and measurable event, can be mitigated by waiting a couple of minutes after waking to test. Get the blood flowing, rinse hands with very hot water, track which fingers consistently give higher readings regardless of time of day and avoid those for FBG.

Not trying to jack the thread but seeing if this thinking can help alleviate the DP many of us have.

Sent from my iPhone

I don't think this would help me. I don't test my blood sugar until after my shower so I have been up a while under plenty of hot water before testing in the morning.

MCS 10-02-2012 03:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maggiemoo (Post 120992)
I don't think this would help me. I don't test my blood sugar until after my shower so I have been up a while under plenty of hot water before testing in the morning.

Test as soon as you can after you wake up, waiting till after your shower gives your body plenty of time to raise your BG level. When first Dxed I could wake up in the 90's but if I didn't eat soon my BG level would rapidly climb to the mid 100's.


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 13:37.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.