Hello< I'm not Diabetic But the love of my life is.

Go Back   The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online > Diabetes Forum Start Here > New Member Introductions

New Member Introductions Please start by introducing yourself to the rest of our community. We would be grateful if you could tell us a little bit about yourself and your experiences with Diabetes. The main aim of our community is to share experiences, knowledge and help increase the understanding and awareness of Diabetes. The introductions forum is a great place to start with the community. ■ RulesGetting Started With DiabetesForum.com


Like Tree1Likes

Hello< I'm not Diabetic But the love of my life is.


Closed Thread
 
Shared Thread Thread Tools
Old 06-08-2010, 22:45   #1
Active Member
 
Chow Mein's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: canada BC
Posts: 6


Default Hello< I'm not Diabetic But the love of my life is.

I may not be diabetic, but in connection to my fiance, i guess you could say i am by default.
over the coarse of the past 3 years of getting to know my soon to be wife but 7 months of actually getting to know each other. The closer we are coming to that day of the start of spending the rest of our lives together, so many other concerns and understandable worries must be dealt with.


So i am Here, after researching here and there, quite honestly about how we will deal with life after marriage, whether if it is sexual or day to day living. i am finding that because of advancement in the medical and science world regarding type 1 mellitus, Many are coping well with this condition due to healthy living choices, and proper BS management.

I myself live with my own disorders ( don't we all )
and we've both found it a source of empathy when it comes to understanding about dealing with the illnesses we face.

currently the topic on my mind lately has been on the affect of contraceptives have on type 1'ers, obviously to be discussed with her Endo, and I'm actually so fortunate, that my Sister-in law happened to be a Endo practitioner herself, but until, the family met her was i able to put 2 and 2 together and realize how much of a blessing it is, esp for the fact that her father is type 2 diabetic , but it was only after they were married and i started dating a diabetic, how funny it kind of is... actually as I'm typing this its becoming more clearer.

anyways. so that me, my Name is Michael but my Fiance, Amy calls me Chow Mein.

perhaps ill tell you all our story about wonderful highs and the terrible lows, that we've had to face, ( a metaphor perhaps all of you know too well)

Until then, its nice to meet you all. take care,
CM

Chow Mein is offline  
Old 06-08-2010, 23:02   #2
Active Member
 
onaughmae's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Texas, USA
Posts: 1,590

Member Type
Type 2
Diagnosed in 1981

45 likes received
1 likes given
Default

As far as I know, a healthy woman with diabetes should be able to take most birth control pills fairly safely. I have heard of a a slight difference in blood sugar that they were able to compensate for with slight adjustment in insulin. There might be a slightly increased risk for some complications of diabetes simply because the pill itself carries some of these same risks. Women who take the pill and smoke, are more likely to experience high blood pressure or blood clotting. There are also several forms of non-hormonal birth control available to choose from. She should bring this up with her gynecologist and her endo to get the best advice for her.

Good luck and happy to see you are already thinking ahead and concerned for her! Hope to see you around often

__________________
Cheers,
Pam
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Type 2 since age 16
A1c in March 2010 12.6%
current A1c 6.3%

Currently taking:

Metformin 1000mg twice a day
Neurontin 300mg three times a day
Cymbalta 30mg a day
Symlin injections 60 mcg before meals
pumping with the minimed Revel and novalog
Milk Thistle twice a day
Fish oil twice a day
Nexium once a day
onaughmae is offline  
Old 06-08-2010, 23:15   #3
Active Member
 
Chow Mein's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: canada BC
Posts: 6


Default

Hi Pam, thanks for the quick reply, ummm, Amy is 28, roughly 135 lbs and is an active runner, shes very strict and stays on top of her insulin, but sometimes she gets these terrible lows outa nowhere, and most often during or just before her period, she says that her flushing lately has been a lil later than normal, and its been flushing lots., because of this does the BS drop or increase when there is a loss of blood? and if that happens, we usually try to get her some juice, but is there a better alternative? ive heard of hard candies, but i dont know which ones, cause sometimes shell have a low and now juice, but if i carried something small like candies or whatever, that would be fine.
thanks,
CM

oh a quick question, why do you take milk thistle?
do you also take any probiotics? and with bloating, due to monthly, what do you take, i gave her some slippery elm yesterday, but its funny the more i learn about women, the more elusive it seems hahaha

Chow Mein is offline  
 
Old 06-08-2010, 23:21   #4
Active Member
 
onaughmae's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Texas, USA
Posts: 1,590

Member Type
Type 2
Diagnosed in 1981

45 likes received
1 likes given
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chow Mein View Post
Hi Pam, thanks for the quick reply, ummm, Amy is 28, roughly 135 lbs and is an active runner, shes very strict and stays on top of her insulin, but sometimes she gets these terrible lows outa nowhere, and most often during or just before her period, she says that her flushing lately has been a lil later than normal, and its been flushing lots., because of this does the BS drop or increase when there is a loss of blood? and if that happens, we usually try to get her some juice, but is there a better alternative? ive heard of hard candies, but i dont know which ones, cause sometimes shell have a low and now juice, but if i carried something small like candies or whatever, that would be fine.
thanks,
CM

oh a quick question, why do you take milk thistle?
do you also take any probiotics? and with bloating, due to monthly, what do you take, i gave her some slippery elm yesterday, but its funny the more i learn about women, the more elusive it seems hahaha
Hormones can affect our blood sugars, as well as even stress...so around that month things can get a little different. Sounds like she is doing a good job keeping on top of her blood sugar though.

I take milk thistle because I had some slightly elevated liver enzymes. They are normal now but I keep taking it since I have read a few articles of studies that have shown a benefit of it with diabetics also.

__________________
Cheers,
Pam
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Type 2 since age 16
A1c in March 2010 12.6%
current A1c 6.3%

Currently taking:

Metformin 1000mg twice a day
Neurontin 300mg three times a day
Cymbalta 30mg a day
Symlin injections 60 mcg before meals
pumping with the minimed Revel and novalog
Milk Thistle twice a day
Fish oil twice a day
Nexium once a day
onaughmae is offline  
Old 06-08-2010, 23:29   #5
Active Member
 
Chow Mein's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: canada BC
Posts: 6


Default

could you send that link my way about the benifits from milk thistle and diabetics? thanks, also, i read on the forum, that some contraceptives, produce dryness and uncomfortabilaty?
as you can see im quite new to this haahah but i have no shame so i dont really care.
i just want to have a smooth honeymoon, ive also heard that t1's need to be aware or eating carbs prior, mid or post activity, and during this, should her insulin pump be taken off while doing "activities"?

Chow Mein is offline  
Old 06-08-2010, 23:37   #6
Active Member
 
onaughmae's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Texas, USA
Posts: 1,590

Member Type
Type 2
Diagnosed in 1981

45 likes received
1 likes given
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chow Mein View Post
could you send that link my way about the benifits from milk thistle and diabetics? thanks, also, i read on the forum, that some contraceptives, produce dryness and uncomfortabilaty?
as you can see im quite new to this haahah but i have no shame so i dont really care.
i just want to have a smooth honeymoon, ive also heard that t1's need to be aware or eating carbs prior, mid or post activity, and during this, should her insulin pump be taken off while doing "activities"?
Here is one article... Milk Thistle May Help Treat Diabetes

Oral contraceptives are made from hormones...so yes that is possible.

Whether or not she takes her pump off is really up to her and how her blood sugar is at the time. Honestly, I don't usually take mine off. I use the longer tubing so I just sort of toss it off to the side and it mostly doesn't bother me. It can even make for some amusing moments sometimes LOL OK that was TMI I am sure...but...you asked!

Nicole88 likes this.
__________________
Cheers,
Pam
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Type 2 since age 16
A1c in March 2010 12.6%
current A1c 6.3%

Currently taking:

Metformin 1000mg twice a day
Neurontin 300mg three times a day
Cymbalta 30mg a day
Symlin injections 60 mcg before meals
pumping with the minimed Revel and novalog
Milk Thistle twice a day
Fish oil twice a day
Nexium once a day
onaughmae is offline  
Old 06-08-2010, 23:49   #7
Active Member
 
Chow Mein's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: canada BC
Posts: 6


Default

hahah @ "amusing moments",
im afraid accidently of ripping it off... supposedly thats not nice, oh well lol TMI or not, we live in the real world with real situations, funny things happen and if you cant laugh about it, why live?

also you didnt say anything about the food thing during mid or post, is it like " OH! food intermission!" lol?

Chow Mein is offline  
Old 06-09-2010, 00:05   #8
Active Member
 
onaughmae's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Texas, USA
Posts: 1,590

Member Type
Type 2
Diagnosed in 1981

45 likes received
1 likes given
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chow Mein View Post
hahah @ "amusing moments",
im afraid accidently of ripping it off... supposedly thats not nice, oh well lol TMI or not, we live in the real world with real situations, funny things happen and if you cant laugh about it, why live?

also you didnt say anything about the food thing during mid or post, is it like " OH! food intermission!" lol?
depends on what her blood sugar is before going to bed. I dont usually have an issue with it. Only a few times did I need a small glass of milk. try glucose tablets, or glucose gel...even cake frosting in small tubes. All of these are great options for any sort of exercise activity.

__________________
Cheers,
Pam
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Type 2 since age 16
A1c in March 2010 12.6%
current A1c 6.3%

Currently taking:

Metformin 1000mg twice a day
Neurontin 300mg three times a day
Cymbalta 30mg a day
Symlin injections 60 mcg before meals
pumping with the minimed Revel and novalog
Milk Thistle twice a day
Fish oil twice a day
Nexium once a day
onaughmae is offline  
Old 06-09-2010, 00:09   #9
Active Member
 
breezeonby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Ohio, USA
Posts: 2,771

Member Type
Type 2
Diagnosed in 2000

55 likes received
6 likes given
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chow Mein View Post
I may not be diabetic, but in connection to my fiance, i guess you could say i am by default.
over the coarse of the past 3 years of getting to know my soon to be wife but 7 months of actually getting to know each other. The closer we are coming to that day of the start of spending the rest of our lives together, so many other concerns and understandable worries must be dealt with.


So i am Here, after researching here and there, quite honestly about how we will deal with life after marriage, whether if it is sexual or day to day living. i am finding that because of advancement in the medical and science world regarding type 1 mellitus, Many are coping well with this condition due to healthy living choices, and proper BS management.

I myself live with my own disorders ( don't we all )
and we've both found it a source of empathy when it comes to understanding about dealing with the illnesses we face.

currently the topic on my mind lately has been on the affect of contraceptives have on type 1'ers, obviously to be discussed with her Endo, and I'm actually so fortunate, that my Sister-in law happened to be a Endo practitioner herself, but until, the family met her was i able to put 2 and 2 together and realize how much of a blessing it is, esp for the fact that her father is type 2 diabetic , but it was only after they were married and i started dating a diabetic, how funny it kind of is... actually as I'm typing this its becoming more clearer.

anyways. so that me, my Name is Michael but my Fiance, Amy calls me Chow Mein.

perhaps ill tell you all our story about wonderful highs and the terrible lows, that we've had to face, ( a metaphor perhaps all of you know too well)

Until then, its nice to meet you all. take care,
CM
Welcome to Diabetes Forum! Glad to have you on board! Sounds like Pam is able to answer your questions. I think that it is wonderful that you want to learn more about Amy's diabetes. I needed surgery in my early 30's for a female disorder and I have never had to worry about birth control and diabetes. I hope that the other female forum members can jump in here and give you further information. Visit often and we would love to hear about any experience that you want to share.

__________________
Breezeonby {Female}
Medications: Metformin ER, Lantus, Novolog
Zofran for Gastroparesis
Gabapentin-Neuropathy
Zocor 40MG, Fish Oil 4000MG
A1C/5.2% April 14, 2010
A1C/5.5% June 1, 2010
A1C/5.2% October 6, 2010
A1C/5.0% February 7, 2011
breezeonby is offline  
Old 06-09-2010, 00:35   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 24,394

Member Type
Type 2
Diagnosed in 2009

23929 likes received
32255 likes given
Default

Welcome, Michael . . . I'm no help for you either, since I'm far too old for any of these feminine problems. But I'm glad you found our forum, and if Amy would like to join us too, it would be delightful!

Take care and visit often!




Shanny is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Diabetic Journal Free for Life isisagate Diabetes Forum Lounge 7 01-26-2010 19:24
A great weight loss supplement for people wth diabetes. I love it! Jannica Diabetes Diet and Nutrition 3 10-14-2009 19:19
Would love to hear your experience.. olivia paden New Member Introductions 6 10-05-2009 21:47
A West Virginia Love Poem Richard157 Diabetes Forum Lounge 1 07-21-2009 23:13
You Will Love This Video Richard157 Diabetes Forum Lounge 5 07-31-2008 09:28

LEGAL NOTICE
By using this Website, you agree to abide by our Terms and Conditions (the "Terms"). This notice does not replace our Terms, which you must read in full as they contain important information. You must not post any defamatory, unlawful or undesirable content, or any content copied from a third party, on the Website. You must not copy material from the Website except in accordance with the Terms. This Website gives users an opportunity to share information only and is not intended to contain any advice which you should rely upon. It does not replace the need to take professional or other advice. We have no liability to you or any other person in respect of any content on this Website.


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 22:46.




Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.