Hello From SE Minnesota and it's cold today.

Go Back   The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online > Diabetes Forum Start Here > New Member Introductions

New Member Introductions Please start by introducing yourself to the rest of our community. We would be grateful if you could tell us a little bit about yourself and your experiences with Diabetes. The main aim of our community is to share experiences, knowledge and help increase the understanding and awareness of Diabetes. The introductions forum is a great place to start with the community. ■ RulesGetting Started With DiabetesForum.com


Hello From SE Minnesota and it's cold today.


Closed Thread
 
Shared Thread Thread Tools
Old 11-23-2010, 15:47   #1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 344

Member Type
Type 2
Diagnosed in march 2010

34 likes received
23 likes given
Default Hello From SE Minnesota and it's cold today.

Just found this site looking for an answer to a question I have. But first an introduction and then I will try and continue my search to answer my question.

I am 54 years old and last March I was diagnosed diabetic. I entered the hospital via the emergency room due to an obstruction in my upper intestinal track. This is about the third time this has happened to me and is due to some previous surgery causing scar tissue. You want pain this is extremely painful and you are put out for one to two days. Anyway while there my glucose was around 385 and my 3 month average was around 240. I was started immediately on three fast acting and one slow release shot per day. I had to take shots due to the pills normally plugging people up.

Now I always knew I was going to get Type II diabetes as it ran on my dad's side and my mother's side and my weight being up at 300. I left the hospital with the decision to change. I immediately started eating right and was able to stop taking the three fast acting shots per day. On May 7th I stopped taking the nightly slow release shots as my Glucose levels were staying below 85 and even after not taking the shots I am staying below 100. My Ab1c last month was 5.7. On June 17th I pulled my old bike out and started riding it and have ridden over 1200 miles since and plan on ridding more. But Minnesota is not advantages for riding in the winter so I joined a health club. I am now down to 222 pounds or 75 pounds lost since last March and feel great. I am 6' tall and would still like to get down under 200 before the bike riding season starts next spring but it is getting tougher every day to lose any weight. But I know my body is changing even though I am not losing much which is good.

But the reason I went looking and found this place is whenever I work out my Glucose shoots up, way up. This morning I got up at 5:00am and my glucose was 89. I didn't eat anything, only drank water and I worked out hard for 1-1/2 hours and after that my glucose was 119. I thought working out was supposed to lower your glucose?? This is not the first time I have noticed this. When riding extensively on longer trips I take Shot Blockers with me and take one every 1/2 hour which seems to prevent me from dropping too low. So anyway I plan on doing some searching here to find my answers.

Thanks for listening to me.

thcri is offline  
Old 11-24-2010, 22:49   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 50

Member Type
Type Pre
Diagnosed in 2009

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thcri View Post
Just found this site looking for an answer to a question I have. But first an introduction and then I will try and continue my search to answer my question.

I am 54 years old and last March I was diagnosed diabetic. I entered the hospital via the emergency room due to an obstruction in my upper intestinal track. This is about the third time this has happened to me and is due to some previous surgery causing scar tissue. You want pain this is extremely painful and you are put out for one to two days. Anyway while there my glucose was around 385 and my 3 month average was around 240. I was started immediately on three fast acting and one slow release shot per day. I had to take shots due to the pills normally plugging people up.

Now I always knew I was going to get Type II diabetes as it ran on my dad's side and my mother's side and my weight being up at 300. I left the hospital with the decision to change. I immediately started eating right and was able to stop taking the three fast acting shots per day. On May 7th I stopped taking the nightly slow release shots as my Glucose levels were staying below 85 and even after not taking the shots I am staying below 100. My Ab1c last month was 5.7. On June 17th I pulled my old bike out and started riding it and have ridden over 1200 miles since and plan on ridding more. But Minnesota is not advantages for riding in the winter so I joined a health club. I am now down to 222 pounds or 75 pounds lost since last March and feel great. I am 6' tall and would still like to get down under 200 before the bike riding season starts next spring but it is getting tougher every day to lose any weight. But I know my body is changing even though I am not losing much which is good.

But the reason I went looking and found this place is whenever I work out my Glucose shoots up, way up. This morning I got up at 5:00am and my glucose was 89. I didn't eat anything, only drank water and I worked out hard for 1-1/2 hours and after that my glucose was 119. I thought working out was supposed to lower your glucose?? This is not the first time I have noticed this. When riding extensively on longer trips I take Shot Blockers with me and take one every 1/2 hour which seems to prevent me from dropping too low. So anyway I plan on doing some searching here to find my answers.

Thanks for listening to me.
Hi Thcri,

Welcome to the forum

Well done on the lifestyle change. You are obviously getting in control of your diabetes.

When you exercise hard for a long period of time your muscles start demanding more and more energy. Your body starts to produce more glucose from your liver to meet the demand. This would happen to anyone regardless of diabetes as it is a natural process your body goes through but as you are insulin resistant it can increase the effect. You are still making it easier for the insulin to do it's job by exercising though.

Try eating some protein before and immediately after exercising. It will counter the effects and help refuel your muscles. If you don't get the fuel to exercise balance right you will get big spikes and lows. It's a personal eat to your meter thing that will quickly become aparent and see your levels stabalising.

__________________
It is my body and despite it's flaws it can still out run a lot of people and the more effort I put in the more I get out.

I have a life long companion called Diabeties; I want to see if it can keep up.
lawprop is offline  
Old 11-25-2010, 05:54   #3
Active Member
 
breezeonby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Ohio, USA
Posts: 2,771

Member Type
Type 2
Diagnosed in 2000

55 likes received
6 likes given
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thcri View Post
Just found this site looking for an answer to a question I have. But first an introduction and then I will try and continue my search to answer my question.

I am 54 years old and last March I was diagnosed diabetic. I entered the hospital via the emergency room due to an obstruction in my upper intestinal track. This is about the third time this has happened to me and is due to some previous surgery causing scar tissue. You want pain this is extremely painful and you are put out for one to two days. Anyway while there my glucose was around 385 and my 3 month average was around 240. I was started immediately on three fast acting and one slow release shot per day. I had to take shots due to the pills normally plugging people up.

Now I always knew I was going to get Type II diabetes as it ran on my dad's side and my mother's side and my weight being up at 300. I left the hospital with the decision to change. I immediately started eating right and was able to stop taking the three fast acting shots per day. On May 7th I stopped taking the nightly slow release shots as my Glucose levels were staying below 85 and even after not taking the shots I am staying below 100. My Ab1c last month was 5.7. On June 17th I pulled my old bike out and started riding it and have ridden over 1200 miles since and plan on ridding more. But Minnesota is not advantages for riding in the winter so I joined a health club. I am now down to 222 pounds or 75 pounds lost since last March and feel great. I am 6' tall and would still like to get down under 200 before the bike riding season starts next spring but it is getting tougher every day to lose any weight. But I know my body is changing even though I am not losing much which is good.

But the reason I went looking and found this place is whenever I work out my Glucose shoots up, way up. This morning I got up at 5:00am and my glucose was 89. I didn't eat anything, only drank water and I worked out hard for 1-1/2 hours and after that my glucose was 119. I thought working out was supposed to lower your glucose?? This is not the first time I have noticed this. When riding extensively on longer trips I take Shot Blockers with me and take one every 1/2 hour which seems to prevent me from dropping too low. So anyway I plan on doing some searching here to find my answers.

Thanks for listening to me.
Hello and welcome to the forum. I have never experienced high blood sugar while exercising. We have many members that do experience high blood sugar while exercising. Hopefully you will get some tips and advice from them. I hope you have time to visit often and enjoy!

__________________
Breezeonby {Female}
Medications: Metformin ER, Lantus, Novolog
Zofran for Gastroparesis
Gabapentin-Neuropathy
Zocor 40MG, Fish Oil 4000MG
A1C/5.2% April 14, 2010
A1C/5.5% June 1, 2010
A1C/5.2% October 6, 2010
A1C/5.0% February 7, 2011
breezeonby is offline  
 
Old 11-25-2010, 19:24   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 344

Member Type
Type 2
Diagnosed in march 2010

34 likes received
23 likes given
Default

Lawprop, thank you so much for the information on taking protein. With that information I was able to some easy Google Searches and research and learned a lot. I am not taking any insulin right now and was worried my working out was going to force me to start taking insulin again. I will start with the suggestions as soon as I am back in town and start working out again.

thcri is offline  
Old 11-25-2010, 21:12   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 50

Member Type
Type Pre
Diagnosed in 2009

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thcri View Post
Lawprop, thank you so much for the information on taking protein. With that information I was able to some easy Google Searches and research and learned a lot. I am not taking any insulin right now and was worried my working out was going to force me to start taking insulin again. I will start with the suggestions as soon as I am back in town and start working out again.
Glad to help.

__________________
It is my body and despite it's flaws it can still out run a lot of people and the more effort I put in the more I get out.

I have a life long companion called Diabeties; I want to see if it can keep up.
lawprop is offline  
Old 11-29-2010, 15:49   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 344

Member Type
Type 2
Diagnosed in march 2010

34 likes received
23 likes given
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawprop View Post
Try eating some protein before and immediately after exercising. It will counter the effects and help refuel your muscles. If you don't get the fuel to exercise balance right you will get big spikes and lows. It's a personal eat to your meter thing that will quickly become aparent and see your levels stabalising.
With the Thanksgiving weekend I didn't have much opportunity to work out especially being out of town but yesterday I did buy some Whey Protein and tried things out. So this is only a one time test but I think we are on to something.

I woke up Sunday Morning and my Blood Sugar level was 105. I ate breakfast, drank a glass of the Protein mixed with water, worked out for about two hours of which 1 full hour on a spinning bike that was hard going, came home, drank another glass of Protein, waited about a 1/2 hour and tested Blood Sugar level again and was at 99. This is the first time it has ever been lower after my work out that I know of. Will continue this and check again probably this afternoon.

This is probably also why I have not been able to shed any more pounds for the last two months. Hopefully I will see some change in my weight.

thcri is offline  
Old 11-30-2010, 10:49   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 50

Member Type
Type Pre
Diagnosed in 2009

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thcri View Post
With the Thanksgiving weekend I didn't have much opportunity to work out especially being out of town but yesterday I did buy some Whey Protein and tried things out. So this is only a one time test but I think we are on to something.

I woke up Sunday Morning and my Blood Sugar level was 105. I ate breakfast, drank a glass of the Protein mixed with water, worked out for about two hours of which 1 full hour on a spinning bike that was hard going, came home, drank another glass of Protein, waited about a 1/2 hour and tested Blood Sugar level again and was at 99. This is the first time it has ever been lower after my work out that I know of. Will continue this and check again probably this afternoon.

This is probably also why I have not been able to shed any more pounds for the last two months. Hopefully I will see some change in my weight.
That's great news! What did you have for breakfast? I'm still figuring out good combinations and this obviously worked for you.

__________________
It is my body and despite it's flaws it can still out run a lot of people and the more effort I put in the more I get out.

I have a life long companion called Diabeties; I want to see if it can keep up.
lawprop is offline  
Old 11-30-2010, 12:11   #8
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 22


Post

Welcome Thcri

If anyone is interested in some underlying physiology, here is a condensed version of an explanation I posted on another thread dealing with this issue.

Ideally... when blood glucose levels are high, (as you would know) Insulin should be released to tell certain types of cells around your body to uptake glucose out of the blood stream (glucose then converted and stored in muscles and liver as glycogen).

When blood glucose levels are low, Glucagon is released to tell your body to convert the glycogen back to glucose and release it back into the blood stream (thus increasing your blood glucose levels).

In an individual without diabetes, these two processes work in a balancing act to keep blood glucose within optimal ranges. However, in an individual with diabetes, the insulin side of the equation is affected (the exact physiological mechanisms vary between diabetes types and sub types).

Additionally, some types of exercise can also stimulate the release of human growth hormone (GH). GH can also result in more conversion of glycogen in the liver to glucose. GH can also lead to increased break down of stored fats into the blood (fatty acids). These fatty acids are then used as an alternate source of fuel (to glucose) by some tissues. This is not necessarily a bad thing if you are trying to lose weight, but it could possibly contribute to the observed higher blood glucose readings. In summary, GH can result in more glucose going into the blood, but less being burned up by some tissues that are now using fatty acids instead. GH also plays a number of other important roles in your body.

I know this whole process can sound complicated and a little confusing. But there are some great suggestions around on this forum for how to keep the glucose high enough that it doesn’t trigger a ‘dumping of glucose’ as many describe it... without elevating your glucose to inappropriate levels. With a bit of practice and monitoring I’m sure you’ll find a routine that suits your body! It sounds like you are already on the way.

If in doubt an exercise physiologist specialising in diabetes may be able to help you with specific advice. You have clearly made some excellent health gains in recent times. If you keep up the positive attitude and good work I’m sure you will continue to see great benefits!

Dr. Steve is offline  
Old 11-30-2010, 13:01   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 344

Member Type
Type 2
Diagnosed in march 2010

34 likes received
23 likes given
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawprop View Post
That's great news! What did you have for breakfast? I'm still figuring out good combinations and this obviously worked for you.

I had a bowl or raspberries with half and half poured over them. Today I go to the Doctor for an annual check up. I am worried that my a1c is going to go up with the higher blood sugar levels I have been experiencing over the last two months. Funny how it changed as when I first started riding bike my levels went down and I had to take Shot Blok tabs to keep my level up.

thcri is offline  
Old 11-30-2010, 13:07   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 344

Member Type
Type 2
Diagnosed in march 2010

34 likes received
23 likes given
Default

I guess I haven't been around long enough to edit or add to my post or at least I don't a edit tab.

But here is my results from July 8th or roughly 5 months after I was diagnosed with diabetes.

Your A1c is 5.5%; Total cholesterol is 155, triglycerides 87,HDL cholesterol 46,LDL 92.

My frustrating thing is that since September 19th I have only lost 5 pounds. I feel I am eating right and working out every other day and sometimes every day for at least an hour up to two hours. Eating right is a pain and I hate it. If the reward of losing weight was there it wouldn't be so bad. But not losing weight you kind of at times just give up.

thcri is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cold -cold feet apjones Diabetes Symptoms 1 03-15-2010 20:15
Does It Get This Cold In Your Area? Richard157 Diabetes Forum Lounge 16 01-03-2010 20:25
cold all the time berryheadpie Diabetes Symptoms 1 10-02-2009 03:46
Nerve Damage and Cold Feet Luke Paton Diabetes Treatment 10 04-30-2009 15:30
What is heat and cold therapy? chastity Diabetes Forum Lounge 1 12-27-2008 04:51

LEGAL NOTICE
By using this Website, you agree to abide by our Terms and Conditions (the "Terms"). This notice does not replace our Terms, which you must read in full as they contain important information. You must not post any defamatory, unlawful or undesirable content, or any content copied from a third party, on the Website. You must not copy material from the Website except in accordance with the Terms. This Website gives users an opportunity to share information only and is not intended to contain any advice which you should rely upon. It does not replace the need to take professional or other advice. We have no liability to you or any other person in respect of any content on this Website.


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 07:58.




Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.