Newcomer - Page 4

Go Back   The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online > Diabetes Forum Start Here > New Member Introductions

New Member Introductions Please start by introducing yourself to the rest of our community. We would be grateful if you could tell us a little bit about yourself and your experiences with Diabetes. The main aim of our community is to share experiences, knowledge and help increase the understanding and awareness of Diabetes. The introductions forum is a great place to start with the community. ■ RulesGetting Started With DiabetesForum.com


Like Tree5Likes

Newcomer - Page 4


Closed Thread
 
Shared Thread Thread Tools
Old 10-26-2011, 15:54   #31
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Kansas City, MO USA
Posts: 5,911

Member Type
Type 1
Diagnosed in 2009 as Type 1.5

5212 likes received
9205 likes given
Default

ivy, read this forum for diet help. Also try an Atkins book ... the New Atkins for a New You not only has menus, it also has a terrific bibliography. also see: Blood Sugar 101.

Shanny likes this.
foxl is offline  
Old 10-26-2011, 16:00   #32
Active Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Iowa, USA
Posts: 26

Member Type
Type 2
Diagnosed in 2008

3 likes received
3 likes given
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxl View Post
ivy, read this forum for diet help. Also try an Atkins book ... the New Atkins for a New You not only has menus, it also has a terrific bibliography. also see: Blood Sugar 101.
Thanks for the information. Does a person gain weight on this diet. It seems like they are eating alot of meat and cheese and eggs. I worry about gaining weight and if it will increase your cholesterol

ivy4u is offline  
Old 10-26-2011, 17:01   #33
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: United States
Posts: 8,795

Member Type
Type Undiagnosed
Diagnosed in 2010

6333 likes received
12139 likes given
Default

Ivy, it does just the opposite as I told you in another thread.




Shanny likes this.
__________________

View Patdart's full Diabetes Forum profile here.
Patdart is offline  
 
Old 10-26-2011, 17:23   #34
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Kansas City, MO USA
Posts: 5,911

Member Type
Type 1
Diagnosed in 2009 as Type 1.5

5212 likes received
9205 likes given
Default

Ivy the new book includes vegetarian (like me) and vegan options -- and lots and lots of green veg!

foxl is offline  
Old 10-27-2011, 01:51   #35
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Kentucky, USA
Posts: 158

Member Type
Type 2
Diagnosed in 1998

62 likes received
132 likes given
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivy4u View Post
where do I get information on this diet and what to eat? Do you find that you are gaining or losing weight on this diet?
So far, I am losing weight and my blood sugars are leveling off and staying in the normal range all day. When I was NOT following the LC/HF diet, my BGs were still going into the 200s and I was gaining weight.

MsTCB is offline  
Old 10-27-2011, 02:01   #36
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Kentucky, USA
Posts: 158

Member Type
Type 2
Diagnosed in 1998

62 likes received
132 likes given
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivy4u View Post
Thanks for the information. Does a person gain weight on this diet. It seems like they are eating alot of meat and cheese and eggs. I worry about gaining weight and if it will increase your cholesterol
From what I have read as well as other people's actual experiences, it will actually LOWER your cholesterol, weight, and BGs.

I have personally experienced the decrease in weight. I've lost 4 lbs in the past 3 days and my stomach is not bloated like it was, so I actually look like I've lost a lot more than just 4 lbs.

I have personally experienced the decrease in BGs.

And, re: the lipids, I will have to report back in few weeks on that. Fortunately, I had a blood test in early October and I will be having more blood testing in early Nov.

Ivy - We have the same problems: high lipids, high BG and high weight. Question: Has anything been working for you in the past? It hasn't for me. If I could have improved these things, then I WOULD have by now. So, what do you have to lose by TRYING it. Things can't get much worse than having high lipids, BG and weight.

MsTCB is offline  
Old 10-27-2011, 04:00   #37
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Kentucky, USA
Posts: 158

Member Type
Type 2
Diagnosed in 1998

62 likes received
132 likes given
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivy4u View Post
unfortunately, depending on what I eat I can bottom out fast. When that happens I have to force myself to eat something else again just to get it back up. I think this low carb/High fat diet that everyone is talking about sounds interesting. Does anyone know where I can get more information on that and what you eat on a diet like this? Since you are eating high fat, wouldn't it make you gain weight?
If you were eating a LC/HF diet and eating, eating at regular intervals, and checking your BGs, you wouldn't "bottom out fast." You could prevent those situations of going too low and then eating high sugar things to compensate. It's a cycle YOU can break.

MsTCB is offline  
Old 10-27-2011, 05:59   #38
Active Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Iowa, USA
Posts: 26

Member Type
Type 2
Diagnosed in 2008

3 likes received
3 likes given
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsTCB View Post
From what I have read as well as other people's actual experiences, it will actually LOWER your cholesterol, weight, and BGs.

I have personally experienced the decrease in weight. I've lost 4 lbs in the past 3 days and my stomach is not bloated like it was, so I actually look like I've lost a lot more than just 4 lbs.

I have personally experienced the decrease in BGs.

And, re: the lipids, I will have to report back in few weeks on that. Fortunately, I had a blood test in early October and I will be having more blood testing in early Nov.

Ivy - We have the same problems: high lipids, high BG and high weight. Question: Has anything been working for you in the past? It hasn't for me. If I could have improved these things, then I WOULD have by now. So, what do you have to lose by TRYING it. Things can't get much worse than having high lipids, BG and weight.
No nothing has worked for me in the past. I will definitely mention that LC/HF diet to the doctor. I found an endo that is a little over an hour away and I already have an appointment to go see her next month. I will mention that and see what she says. The only concern I have is that I have ulcerative colitis. There are alot of foods that I have a hard time eating right now. For example, red meat, eggs, and sometimes certain dairy are just a few. The hard part for me would be finding foods I could put in their place.

ivy4u is offline  
Old 10-27-2011, 06:37   #39
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Kentucky, USA
Posts: 158

Member Type
Type 2
Diagnosed in 1998

62 likes received
132 likes given
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivy4u View Post
where do I get information on this diet and what to eat? Do you find that you are gaining or losing weight on this diet?
As I've said several times I am LOSING on this diet and my BGs are now normal.

MsTCB is offline  
Old 10-27-2011, 06:49   #40
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Kentucky, USA
Posts: 158

Member Type
Type 2
Diagnosed in 1998

62 likes received
132 likes given
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivy4u View Post
No nothing has worked for me in the past. I will definitely mention that LC/HF diet to the doctor. I found an endo that is a little over an hour away and I already have an appointment to go see her next month. I will mention that and see what she says. The only concern I have is that I have ulcerative colitis. There are alot of foods that I have a hard time eating right now. For example, red meat, eggs, and sometimes certain dairy are just a few. The hard part for me would be finding foods I could put in their place.
Not sure your Endo will be much help. All my Endo said was "Eat less - whatever you are eating, just eat less." I had kept detailed records of what I was eating and brought the printouts to show him that I was already "eating less" - between 1200 to 1800 calories a day, but my weight was increasing and my BGs still weren't stable or normal. Soooo - my Endo was a huge help.

Don't know much about ulcerative colitis, except that it's an inflammatory issue. Have you been tested for sensitivities to things like wheat, yeast, and gluten. At one time I was having such major digestive issues that I had resorted to just eating baby food. I swear! Then, I had blood testing done and found out that I was highly sensitive to gluten, wheat and yeast -- all that good ole' carb stuff.

You might find that your inflammation issues go away whenever you get your BGs under control and get off the highly processed carbs.

MsTCB is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Newcomer JJOUBRE3 New Member Introductions 6 10-26-2011 01:06
Newcomer Irvy New Member Introductions 6 02-21-2011 18:47
Help please for a Newcomer Nagesh Rao Diabetes Forum Lounge 19 09-17-2010 18:16
Newcomer to the forum....HELLO gb1286 New Member Introductions 9 03-20-2010 00:52
newcomer Osnat New Member Introductions 2 04-02-2009 10:24

LEGAL NOTICE
By using this Website, you agree to abide by our Terms and Conditions (the "Terms"). This notice does not replace our Terms, which you must read in full as they contain important information. You must not post any defamatory, unlawful or undesirable content, or any content copied from a third party, on the Website. You must not copy material from the Website except in accordance with the Terms. This Website gives users an opportunity to share information only and is not intended to contain any advice which you should rely upon. It does not replace the need to take professional or other advice. We have no liability to you or any other person in respect of any content on this Website.


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 23:41.




Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.