It's ME!! - Page 2

Go Back   The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online > Diabetes Forum Start Here > New Member Introductions

New Member Introductions Please start by introducing yourself to the rest of our community. We would be grateful if you could tell us a little bit about yourself and your experiences with Diabetes. The main aim of our community is to share experiences, knowledge and help increase the understanding and awareness of Diabetes. The introductions forum is a great place to start with the community. ■ RulesGetting Started With DiabetesForum.com


Like Tree24Likes

It's ME!! - Page 2


Closed Thread
 
Shared Thread Thread Tools
Old 09-25-2018, 18:42   #11
Active Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Charles County Maryland
Posts: 10

Member Type
Type 2
Diagnosed in 2002

12 likes received
19 likes given
Thumbs up

I thank you div2live plus *all who've reached out*!! It's a new learning process......BUT I'M IN IT TO WIN IT!! Changing my eating routines and doing some investigation regarding more accurate glucose meters *I'm using OneTouch Verio at the present*, now doing research on FreeStyle Freedom Lite I've sent a request for script towards it to my doc. I ate a pretty good lunch of turkey and cold slaw. I'm breaking away from pastas/rices and so forth *my body is probably rebelling even tho the levels are good but experiencing the lightheartedness and feels like the muscles in my arms are pulsating somewhat* eerie symptoms {have a medical alert necklace for emergencies}, I checked my levels {right now it's 150, I think is dropping} will keep constant check for the different changes.


Quote:
Originally Posted by div2live View Post
Hi Vickie....welcome aboard! You have now surrounded yourself with a very large group of fellow diabetics. We can share our experiences and tell you what our opinions are based on those experiences. I have been diabetic for over 13 years now, but only found this website in April of 2015! I will never forget that first 90 days, as it changed my life...After doing all the recommended reading and watching video's, coupled with reading lots of posts and recipes on this website, I decided to try eating low carb high fat from then on!

After learning the foundation information and applying it everyday to what I ate and how I monitored myself with my meter. I soon learned what I could eat, what I cannot eat, and what I could have just a bit of....

Within 3 weeks I had my blood sugar (BS) under control 24/7! Over the next 6 months not only did my BS stay at or below 110, even two hours after a meal, but my weight dropped and my blood pressure normalized. Bottom line I was now empowered to take control of this disease! Working with my doctor, who also was amazed, even though he warned me not to eat such a low amount of carbs per day, I was able to dramatically reduce my dosage of medications including my blood pressure meds....WHAT'S NOT TO LIKE? I watched my blood sugar (BS) using my meter frequently, as being on meds to keep my BS down and then dropping my daily carb consumption to below 100 could cause me to have a low blood sugar. I had my doctor give me a prescription to get a special pen that can be used if my wife finds me a sleep and she cannot get me to wake up. This pen is made to be used by anyone and it has a sugar injection to offset a diabetic sugar low.

I never needed it but it made me feel good to have it around. I also have sugar tabs, if I find my sugar to low....but since when I started this in 2015 I have never had a low that required either solution, but all the meds I have been on, Metformin and slow acting insulin, do not have the potential to cause a dangerous low sugar, as they are slow acting.

As you have already read, most of us have had problems with doctors that under educate us, get confused when we eat low carbs and added fat, etc. Unfortunately, many doctors just follow some protocol they have read or been taught. But you need a doctor you feel listens and works with you. My advise is dump the doctor you have, and find another, and another until you feel good about them. If they are not good listeners...who needs them? I know it is frustrating finding a new doctor, but when you find that one, it will be for a very long while, so it is worth the effort.


You were correct in trying to find an Endo...doctor, as they 'should' be the best trained for diabetics, but unfortunately, some are better than others. I have found Doctors of Internal Medicine would out better for me. They to have advanced training, so if you cannot find an Indo, look at local Internists...


Again welcome, you can find lots of help on this website, so join in with us and in a few months, you too will be helping newbies from your experience....

redbyrdvickie is offline  
Old 09-25-2018, 20:35   #12
Moderator
 
VeeJay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Midwest USA
Posts: 9,377

Member Type
Type 2
Diagnosed in 2010

11953 likes received
4419 likes given
Default

Congrads to you for taking control and working on lower BG.

It takes a week or so for the body to adjust to a lower carb load, and the kidneys are flushing out excess water because of fewer carbs. It's easy for elextrolytes to be depleted especially since lower carbs usually eliminates those salty snacks. It helps a lot to eat more salt - such as salty broth - and to drink plenty of water.

As you reduce carbs, increase fats - good fats like animal fats, olive and coconut oils.

RE: glucose meters. They're all really about the same as far as accuracy (industry standard is +/- 10%). Some come with more bells and whistles than others.

redbyrdvickie likes this.
__________________
My low-carb recipe collection on Pinterest
https://www.pinterest.com/VRStudio1/...light-recipes/
70 yrs. Dx May 2010
Diet controlled: VLC/HF
BG steady with no highs or lows.
A1C in the 5% range.
____________________________________
Gluten intolerant, sensitive to dairy & eggs.
Eat no grains
VeeJay is online now  
Old 09-25-2018, 22:33   #13
Active Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Charles County Maryland
Posts: 10

Member Type
Type 2
Diagnosed in 2002

12 likes received
19 likes given
Default Thanks so much!!

This is the first time in a while that I see my levels at a stable area, I checked *moment ago* even after eating a small snack that my readings are within a safe range.....OMG!! I'M ON MY WAY!!! Regarding the meters, I'm trying to find a route with em *I have a few that was scaring me {according to} the readings that I just wasn't comfortable with* I can work with the +/- 10% but when there's a 25-30 (Walmart's Relion Prime/CVS Glucose Meter ?????) difference compared to the Ultra OneTouch & Verio .....something is not right,, I'll use those OTHERS as suspicious & doubt-able spares if push come to a shove. THANK YOU ALL AGAIN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeeJay View Post
Congrads to you for taking control and working on lower BG.

It takes a week or so for the body to adjust to a lower carb load, and the kidneys are flushing out excess water because of fewer carbs. It's easy for elextrolytes to be depleted especially since lower carbs usually eliminates those salty snacks. It helps a lot to eat more salt - such as salty broth - and to drink plenty of water.

As you reduce carbs, increase fats - good fats like animal fats, olive and coconut oils.

RE: glucose meters. They're all really about the same as far as accuracy (industry standard is +/- 10%). Some come with more bells and whistles than others.

div2live likes this.
redbyrdvickie is offline  
 
Old 09-25-2018, 23:34   #14
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: USA
Posts: 1,852

Member Type
Type 2
Diagnosed in 2002

2380 likes received
1559 likes given
Default

Just as an example, my goal is to keep my blood sugar on my meter readings at or below 120 at all times, especially after eating! Now, if you have been through some of our information, the overall goal is to never let your blood sugar go over 140! Research has shown that anytime the blood sugar goes over 140, the sugar in your system actually begins to damage cells within your body. This damage, in time, is what leads to all the diabetic complications that we all want to avoid. I use the 120 goal to account for any inaccuracy in my meter or test strips....in that way, all is well. I bought my meter based on what the test strips cost. I buy 500-600 strips at a time, initially I might test as much as 7-9 times a day, as I was learning what I could and could not eat. Those strips can be expensive over the long run. I buy all on line at Amazon. I try to keep the cost at 0.16 to 0.19 cents each. May stores charge like 0.25 each that is to darn much...

VeeJay made an important point regarding your electrolytes and salt! I recall when I first started this eating model, I also got light headed. I recall one time I was shopping in the grocery store and I had to sit down as I got so light headed I was going to faint or fall down.

Then someone on this site told me to eat more salt, as I was beginning to really lose wait, and most of that was water. Unfortunately, as your body moves out unnecessary water, you lose salt. I love salt so I started salt everything I ate, well almost everything. And WaaaLaah! The dizziness stopped the same day I started with the salt.


We also talk about a thing called the "Carb Flu"! Many of us went through 3-5 days of feeling a bit punk. Tired, stomach not quite right, headache, etc. during the time our bodies are switching from Carbs for energy to Fats for energy. Be careful here, if you don't increase your fat intake, you body will go to the next best source, you muscles...and this can be unhealthy over the long run. Eat Fat, eggs, bacon, ham, cheese, Heavy Whipping Cream in your coffee or tea, Avocados, olive oils on salads, etc. You will not gain wait! If you need to lose weight, you will lose weight, if you are at a good weight, you may not lose any. Don't worry about your cholesterol, as I did, when I started eating fats in mass....my cholesterol did rise a little during the first year, and like magic the second year it came back down and lower during the second year. My doctor first thought I was crazy, now he calls me his model diabetic old guy...

Good luck, have fun with this, it really is a fun way to learn to eat, you do not have to starve yourself, and we can give you substitutes you can make and eat including low carb cheese cake, no one will no it is low carb...it is so good. etc. etc. etc.

redbyrdvickie likes this.
div2live is offline  
Old 09-26-2018, 00:15   #15
Active Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Charles County Maryland
Posts: 10

Member Type
Type 2
Diagnosed in 2002

12 likes received
19 likes given
Default My eyes are not wired shut NOW!!

div2live, I just giggled with happiness when I saw regarding low carb cheese cake......MY EARS PERKED UP!! Yep, new grocery list is in the works but the cheese cake will surely come later after I get things more into control!!!!! I'm surely noticing my levels are coming down......HURRAY!!! Also going to be looking at Amazon regarding strips too cause I check more often than what my *DOCTOR who says no more than 4 times a day*...NOOOOOOO, I don't think so!! I mean if you're having problems or having trouble, 4 times a day is not going to do it {that's why I have more than 1 meter....it's better safe than sorry}, I'm comparing results and soon will be able to stick with one for assurance and have confidence in....you better bet it}.

Quote:
Originally Posted by div2live View Post
Just as an example, my goal is to keep my blood sugar on my meter readings at or below 120 at all times, especially after eating! Now, if you have been through some of our information, the overall goal is to never let your blood sugar go over 140! Research has shown that anytime the blood sugar goes over 140, the sugar in your system actually begins to damage cells within your body. This damage, in time, is what leads to all the diabetic complications that we all want to avoid. I use the 120 goal to account for any inaccuracy in my meter or test strips....in that way, all is well. I bought my meter based on what the test strips cost. I buy 500-600 strips at a time, initially I might test as much as 7-9 times a day, as I was learning what I could and could not eat. Those strips can be expensive over the long run. I buy all on line at Amazon. I try to keep the cost at 0.16 to 0.19 cents each. May stores charge like 0.25 each that is to darn much...

VeeJay made an important point regarding your electrolytes and salt! I recall when I first started this eating model, I also got light headed. I recall one time I was shopping in the grocery store and I had to sit down as I got so light headed I was going to faint or fall down.

Then someone on this site told me to eat more salt, as I was beginning to really lose wait, and most of that was water. Unfortunately, as your body moves out unnecessary water, you lose salt. I love salt so I started salt everything I ate, well almost everything. And WaaaLaah! The dizziness stopped the same day I started with the salt.


We also talk about a thing called the "Carb Flu"! Many of us went through 3-5 days of feeling a bit punk. Tired, stomach not quite right, headache, etc. during the time our bodies are switching from Carbs for energy to Fats for energy. Be careful here, if you don't increase your fat intake, you body will go to the next best source, you muscles...and this can be unhealthy over the long run. Eat Fat, eggs, bacon, ham, cheese, Heavy Whipping Cream in your coffee or tea, Avocados, olive oils on salads, etc. You will not gain wait! If you need to lose weight, you will lose weight, if you are at a good weight, you may not lose any. Don't worry about your cholesterol, as I did, when I started eating fats in mass....my cholesterol did rise a little during the first year, and like magic the second year it came back down and lower during the second year. My doctor first thought I was crazy, now he calls me his model diabetic old guy...

Good luck, have fun with this, it really is a fun way to learn to eat, you do not have to starve yourself, and we can give you substitutes you can make and eat including low carb cheese cake, no one will no it is low carb...it is so good. etc. etc. etc.

div2live likes this.
redbyrdvickie is offline  
Old 09-26-2018, 04:34   #16
Moderator
 
itissteve's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Minnesota, USA
Posts: 1,520

Member Type
Type 2
Diagnosed in 2011

1147 likes received
469 likes given
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbyrdvickie View Post
I can work with the +/- 10% but when there's a 25-30 (Walmart's Relion Prime/CVS Glucose Meter ?????) difference compared to the Ultra OneTouch & Verio .....something is not right
Vickie, the thing is that measuring blood glucose at home has a lot of variability. So many things can affect a single reading: the cleanliness of the test site, where you draw the blood, the size of the sample, the test strip, ambient humidity, the age of the test strips, the meter,... Even two tests taken within minutes of each other can differ substantially.

It is possible that a meter is out of whack. Of course, don't trust that one. But don't count on any particular brand or model of meter being the most accurate because, even if such a meter existed, there are so many other parts of a test that go beyond the meter.

Look for trends rather than individual readings -- is your blood glucose trending up or down? Is your FBG higher all of a sudden? Using your meter this way will make it much more useful.

mbuster and div2live like this.
__________________
Now with less sugar!

A1c 10-30-2018 still 5.6 with no meds. Thank you LCHF!
itissteve is offline  
Old 09-26-2018, 14:24   #17
Active Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Charles County Maryland
Posts: 10

Member Type
Type 2
Diagnosed in 2002

12 likes received
19 likes given
Default

As you said itissteve, so many phases come into play regarding blood glucose measures and the examples you've mention are greatly adhered to but when tests are taken within moments of each other, the concern comes *with me*, some reading saying 125 or lower and the others 243 or higher *that's a great leap when {hypoglycemia/hyper} is involved* in which, {I have bouts of hypo}, so logically, oh did I wash my hands, check lot numbers/expiration dates, use control solutions, etc., all come into play to try and get a handle on things....EVERYTHING LOOKS FINE & WAS DONE, then come back later and still getting the lopsided readings....OK, WHAT THE HECK, WHICH ONE DO I HALF-WAY TRUST? I've looked at all the bells and whistles regarding different meters, whether brand named or store brand, that's why I do investigations and digs. But all that's secondary logic but when it comes to other symptoms that's more pressing and looking at ways to change those paths, that's the main goal, in which I'm facing. Eating patterns/change in diet/learning new ways to overcome physical dilemmas. As I've stated, since learning how to eat *with my MORE reliable meter(s)* a low carb and *adding some good* fats in my diet......MY BODY IS REACTING SO MUCH BETTER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by itissteve View Post
Vickie, the thing is that measuring blood glucose at home has a lot of variability. So many things can affect a single reading: the cleanliness of the test site, where you draw the blood, the size of the sample, the test strip, ambient humidity, the age of the test strips, the meter,... Even two tests taken within minutes of each other can differ substantially.

It is possible that a meter is out of whack. Of course, don't trust that one. But don't count on any particular brand or model of meter being the most accurate because, even if such a meter existed, there are so many other parts of a test that go beyond the meter.

Look for trends rather than individual readings -- is your blood glucose trending up or down? Is your FBG higher all of a sudden? Using your meter this way will make it much more useful.

itissteve likes this.
redbyrdvickie is offline  
Old 09-26-2018, 15:11   #18
Moderator
 
itissteve's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Minnesota, USA
Posts: 1,520

Member Type
Type 2
Diagnosed in 2011

1147 likes received
469 likes given
Default

Vickie, I think you're on to the ultimate "fix" for this in eating/exercising in such a way that your blood glucose levels lower and stabilize. 15% of 243 is 32 points in either direction; a big difference. Keeping BG in a more narrow band can help prevent crashing, too. So even consecutive readings with different meters vary that much?

I have seen tests published on-line that try to identify which meters tend to be more (or less) accurate than others. That work is important, but I know so many other factors affect readings. But a Web search would show some recent comparisons which might be of interest to you.

__________________
Now with less sugar!

A1c 10-30-2018 still 5.6 with no meds. Thank you LCHF!
itissteve is offline  
Old 09-26-2018, 16:16   #19
Active Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Charles County Maryland
Posts: 10

Member Type
Type 2
Diagnosed in 2002

12 likes received
19 likes given
Default

Yes, itissteve that 32 point either way is a BIG difference and there's no question in doing comparison research of meters and knowing & overcoming some major factors *since dealing with this since 2002*, I've learned a lot and that's the reason for my continued investigation* to learn more for my comfort level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by itissteve View Post
Vickie, I think you're on to the ultimate "fix" for this in eating/exercising in such a way that your blood glucose levels lower and stabilize. 15% of 243 is 32 points in either direction; a big difference. Keeping BG in a more narrow band can help prevent crashing, too. So even consecutive readings with different meters vary that much?

I have seen tests published on-line that try to identify which meters tend to be more (or less) accurate than others. That work is important, but I know so many other factors affect readings. But a Web search would show some recent comparisons which might be of interest to you.

div2live likes this.
redbyrdvickie is offline  
Old 09-28-2018, 16:07   #20
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: USA
Posts: 1,852

Member Type
Type 2
Diagnosed in 2002

2380 likes received
1559 likes given
Default

Vickie....you are walking down the road most all of us have followed to get "Control" of our diabetes. Continue to learn and adjust as you learn new information, you will be rewarded.

Another thing our Doctors and Diabetic Counselors frequently leave out is how to properly stick your finger for a blood sample. Of course washing with warm soapy water and drying well is important to avoid sore fingers and misreading of blood sugars. Never use alcohol/ swabs to clean the area, as repeated alcohol on skin, toughens the skin, making it more difficult to get blood samples. Finally, and most important, DO NOT STICK THE TIP OF THE FINGER = YOUCH! VERY PAINFUL...Stick the side of the finger using the shallowest depth setting on your lancet device that draws an adequate sample for testing. I am a 68 year old male, been doing this for over 13 years. I have rather large fat fingers....and I still use a #1 setting on my lancet devices, it is painless! Also, no need to change lancets after each stick, I only change when I feel the stick is getting painful due to a dull lancet.


I hope you all ready knew all of this, but many times our newbies are not properly trained on this....Good Luck

redbyrdvickie likes this.
div2live is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Yoda you taught me well...now teach me to be tactful horseygramma Diabetes Forum Lounge 36 03-01-2014 17:17

LEGAL NOTICE
By using this Website, you agree to abide by our Terms and Conditions (the "Terms"). This notice does not replace our Terms, which you must read in full as they contain important information. You must not post any defamatory, unlawful or undesirable content, or any content copied from a third party, on the Website. You must not copy material from the Website except in accordance with the Terms. This Website gives users an opportunity to share information only and is not intended to contain any advice which you should rely upon. It does not replace the need to take professional or other advice. We have no liability to you or any other person in respect of any content on this Website.


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 01:21.




Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.