Stunned and Dumb on this - Page 3

Go Back   The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online > Diabetes Forum Start Here > New Member Introductions

New Member Introductions Please start by introducing yourself to the rest of our community. We would be grateful if you could tell us a little bit about yourself and your experiences with Diabetes. The main aim of our community is to share experiences, knowledge and help increase the understanding and awareness of Diabetes. The introductions forum is a great place to start with the community. ■ RulesGetting Started With DiabetesForum.com


Like Tree16Likes

Stunned and Dumb on this - Page 3


Reply
 
Shared Thread Thread Tools
Old 03-05-2019, 01:08   #21
Moderator
 
itissteve's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Minnesota, USA
Posts: 1,410

Member Type
Type 2
Diagnosed in 2011

1048 likes received
441 likes given
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamzr1
Are cooked eggs OK, I cook them in a little butter OK ?
So I look at what stuff is made of and see how many carbs it has ?
Cooked eggs are fine, especially with some butter (you can use more than a little if you're eating low-carb).

One of the interesting things you'll learn as you read up is that a lot of what we all were told about nutrition over the past several decades is bad information. Fat is not the enemy. 100-calorie packets of cookies are the enemy. The eggs in butter are better for your blood glucose and cholesterol than a bowl of cereal and toast (as long as you stick with low-carb eating; high-fat/high-carbs is really bad for you).

There are smartphone apps and Web sites and little books you can get that list the major nutrients (carbs, fat, protein, calories, sometimes sodium levels, etc.) for pretty much any food you can buy -- some also include information on meals at the bigger chain restaurants (nachos at Applebee's, breakfast sandwiches at McDonald's, etc.). There also are Web sites which can show you what your carb/protein/fat/calorie intake should be based on factors like age, activity level, whether you want to lose weight, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamzr1
I am in pacific NW, tons of snow here ( and more coming this week) but with pneumonia and 4 screwed up discs in spine I cannot do what most can to exercise along with the highs only being around 20 degs does not help.
Pneumonia definitely will slow you down! But don't get bogged down in some classic definition of exercise. You don't need to be lifting weights or jogging to get exercise. Shoveling snow is exercise (we got three feet of snow last month alone; I've been doing lots of shoveling). Walking or riding a bike or doing water aerobics is exercise. Don't sell yourself short.

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamzr1
You think they have me taking Metformin 2 times a day, 500MG each only for 20 days max is enough to better type 2 level I have now ?
Metformin is a helpful medication for diabetes. I suspect they gave you only 20 days worth to make sure you see the doctor again for another blood glucose check and to see if the 1000 mg is enough and that you'll get another Rx. But, yes, well before the 20 days are up, I would expect you to see lower blood glucose numbers.

__________________
Now with less sugar!

A1c 10-30-2018 still 5.6 with no meds. Thank you LCHF!
itissteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 04:03   #22
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: TX
Posts: 930

Member Type
Type 2
Diagnosed in 2017

962 likes received
1227 likes given
Default

Hi teamzr1, welcome to the forum. Don't be so hard on yourself. We all have to start somewhere. Even though T2 runs in my family, I was shocked when I was diagnosed 2 years ago.

I'm so glad I discovered this forum. I have learned so much from everyone here. I believe everyone has something to bring to the table. Read everything the forum recommends and watch that video by Dr. Hallberg. I still watch it

Diabetes is manageable. Good luck to you, and I hope you continue to post.

__________________
4 Apr 19:
A1C: 5.8
Cholesterol: 155
Crestor 5mg
Metformin 1000mg
BP: Cozaar 50mg
LC/HF

Wishing y'all Peace & Love!

Last edited by alamogirl; 03-05-2019 at 04:06.
alamogirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 05:00   #23
Active Member
 
Team-zr1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: USA
Posts: 27

Member Type
Type 2
Diagnosed in 2019

7 likes received
2 likes given
Default

Hi Alamogirl
Thanks for the kind words

After reading all about type 2 I'd rather kiss my ex wife's mother on the lips or somewhere else !

Quote:
Originally Posted by alamogirl View Post
Hi teamzr1, welcome to the forum. Don't be so hard on yourself. We all have to start somewhere. Even though T2 runs in my family, I was shocked when I was diagnosed 2 years ago.

I'm so glad I discovered this forum. I have learned so much from everyone here. I believe everyone has something to bring to the table. Read everything the forum recommends and watch that video by Dr. Hallberg. I still watch it

Diabetes is manageable. Good luck to you, and I hope you continue to post.

etherea and alamogirl like this.
__________________
Teamzr1 - Corvette Racers
Team-zr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Old 03-05-2019, 05:02   #24
Active Member
 
Team-zr1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: USA
Posts: 27

Member Type
Type 2
Diagnosed in 2019

7 likes received
2 likes given
Default

Hi itissteve

I have been on internet 2 whole days and more confused now :-)

Thanks I ill re-read your contents again later and reply bettter

Quote:
Originally Posted by itissteve View Post
Cooked eggs are fine, especially with some butter (you can use more than a little if you're eating low-carb).

One of the interesting things you'll learn as you read up is that a lot of what we all were told about nutrition over the past several decades is bad information. Fat is not the enemy. 100-calorie packets of cookies are the enemy. The eggs in butter are better for your blood glucose and cholesterol than a bowl of cereal and toast (as long as you stick with low-carb eating; high-fat/high-carbs is really bad for you).

There are smartphone apps and Web sites and little books you can get that list the major nutrients (carbs, fat, protein, calories, sometimes sodium levels, etc.) for pretty much any food you can buy -- some also include information on meals at the bigger chain restaurants (nachos at Applebee's, breakfast sandwiches at McDonald's, etc.). There also are Web sites which can show you what your carb/protein/fat/calorie intake should be based on factors like age, activity level, whether you want to lose weight, etc.


Pneumonia definitely will slow you down! But don't get bogged down in some classic definition of exercise. You don't need to be lifting weights or jogging to get exercise. Shoveling snow is exercise (we got three feet of snow last month alone; I've been doing lots of shoveling). Walking or riding a bike or doing water aerobics is exercise. Don't sell yourself short.


Metformin is a helpful medication for diabetes. I suspect they gave you only 20 days worth to make sure you see the doctor again for another blood glucose check and to see if the 1000 mg is enough and that you'll get another Rx. But, yes, well before the 20 days are up, I would expect you to see lower blood glucose numbers.

__________________
Teamzr1 - Corvette Racers
Team-zr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 05:41   #25
Active Member
 
Team-zr1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: USA
Posts: 27

Member Type
Type 2
Diagnosed in 2019

7 likes received
2 likes given
Default

Good evening div2live

I have read in a couple of places that the bubbles in urine is from type 2 but reason I asked here if anyone had more detail

Funny thing is I hardly fell a need to drink water but here I am toldI have type 2

Also have seen for myself the darker the yellow color is in my urine and more bubbles I see and when it almost clear, slight yellow the far less bubbles there is and why I wan to hear more about bubbles ?

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by div2live View Post
teamzr1...welcome aboard!

I too am a 68 year old male with type 2 diabetes. Although, I was diagnosed over 12 years ago. I found this website in 2015 and I feel it saved my life. At that time I was on a daily dose of slow acting insulin, 2000mg of metformin, and a drug called Januvia! Even with all of that my average blood sugar (A1c) was approaching 8, which is a dangerous level if it stays at that level or higher for a long while. I get very concerned and started searching for a better way to control my diabetes. This website and the associated information taught me how to control this disease.

Within a few months I learned to eat low carb foods, yet supplementing the lack of carbs, by increasing my fat intake (butter, heavy cream, bacon, eggs, etc.). Doing this kept me from feeling hungry or craving sweets. When I got hungry, I ate! That was the "Magic" for me, I knew right away, if I had a 'diet' that allowed me to eat if I felt hungry or was craving a snack, yet still kept my blood sugar on track.....I knew I could do that...and I have!

It really did save my life! Below is the website links you need to review and understand. Then do your own research including this website and learn all you can. Your own knowledge is what will save you...

By the way I have never heard that 'bubbles in urine' is a sign of diabetes? There is a lot of misinformation out about our disease, so having knowledge is important! A common sign of diabetes is being excessively thirsty all the time and sudden weight loss. But, so people have no symptoms…this disease is very tricky, so be guarded in what you believe...

http://www.bloodsugar101.com/

http://www.dietdoctor.com/lchf


Good Luck

__________________
Teamzr1 - Corvette Racers
Team-zr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 13:39   #26
Moderator
 
VeeJay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Midwest USA
Posts: 9,275

Member Type
Type 2
Diagnosed in 2010

11880 likes received
4357 likes given
Default

ADA = American Diabetes Association

BG = blood glucose (aka blood sugar)

As I outlined above, I test...
-- before a meal (for baseline - or to determine what my BG level is before I eat - that way I will know how my BG was affected by that particular meal)
--one hour after the first bite to see how high my BG went in response to the carbohydrates eaten at that meal

-- two hours after the first bite (optional) to see if my BG is going down toward the pre-meal level. For some diabetics (and for some types of food) it may take another hour for this to occur.

So, if I eat three meals a day, that's 6-9 times.

Then, you can add in the fasting BG. Testing when you first wake up and before you eat anything.

So, that's 10

Now, you can reduce the daily testing by chosing one meal a day to test around, make good records of the carbs you ate so you can make adjustments. Then the next day chose a different meal, and so on. Takes a bit more time to gather meaningful data but it is a way to reduce the number of strips you use.

It was through this method of testing that I discovered my body can only handle 8-10 grams of carbohydrates at one time. More than that, my BG went well over the 140 mark. Now I plan my meals so that I stay within my range.

All this is discussed in this thread: https://www.diabetesforum.com/diabet...ng-method.html

And is outlined in www.bloodsugar101.com under "How To Lower Your Blood Sugar"

I believe there are some online food calculators, others can fill you in on that. (I use a carb counting book and paper and pencil.)

__________________
My low-carb recipe collection on Pinterest
https://www.pinterest.com/VRStudio1/...light-recipes/
70 yrs. Dx May 2010
Diet controlled: VLC/HF
BG steady with no highs or lows.
A1C in the 5% range.
____________________________________
Gluten intolerant, sensitive to dairy & eggs.
Eat no grains

Last edited by VeeJay; 03-05-2019 at 13:43.
VeeJay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 16:14   #27
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: USA
Posts: 1,848

Member Type
Type 2
Diagnosed in 2002

2375 likes received
1550 likes given
Default

teamzr1...you probably do not feel like it, but compared to most 'newly diagnosed' diabetics you are off to a great start!

1st you are curious and seeking information! This is foundational to dealing with diabetes and seeking knowledge will help you find what is best for you!

2nd you have a sense of humor, as we all face challenges and sometimes we just have to sit back and smile about how screwed up things can get!

So...keep it going and it will get much easier as you more through this knowledge quest...

Briefly, here is a basic guideline I used early on as to what carb filled food I should stay away from.

Anything with grains, including rice, wheat flour, etc. no breads including dark breads, flat breads, etc (sorry).; no root crops, carrots, beets, potatoes including sweet potatoes; no fruits, although some of us can tolerate a small handful of blue berries, or 2-3 strawberries; nothing with sugar, syrups, or honey, like candy, cakes, pies, etc. etc. no sugar filled drinks including all forms of milk, except Heavy Whipping cream that is high in fat and very low in carbs, this is ok and good for us!

Of course their are exceptions to all those rules and some diabetics can tolerate more carbs than others, you will learn these as you go through the learning process, But when I started I avoided all carb'ie foods period!

Now what you can eat!

Generally all forms of meat provided no sugar or syrups are added like sugar cured ham (eat salt cured) and some types of bacon. Most all hard cheeses are ok, most all vegetables are ok, and for snacks, pecans are ok, walnuts are ok, almonds are ok, and my personal favorite Fried Pork Rinds they provide the salty crunch I miss and dipped in salsa, they are a great snack. They also add fat to my diet which offsets the loss of carbs so I still have plenty of energy....

I do not get hungry, I eat what I want (in the world of low carbs), I only count carbs I do not count calories or anything else. If I want a snack, I have a snack...I have lost over 70lbs. since May of 2015...which I needed to lose...

On the metformin, it is a tried and true diabetic medication. You are on 1/2 of the max dosage one can take. I take twice what you take and I cannot take anymore. It works slowly over a period of weeks and unless you are monitoring your blood sugar you will not know the slow change. But it is an important medication for diabetics to take if they can tolerate it.

As for 'finger sticks' if you get a meter & tabs, to start testing, you should know their is a proper way to do it that is fairly painless. Unfortunatly, many medical professionals do not teach new diabetics the painless way to take a sample. When you get to that point, come on this website and ask for that procedure so that you do not 'stick the tip of your finger' because that hurts....we stick the sides of our fingers where the nerve endings are less frequent...but you need to know more later about how to get a 'good' sample...

Also be advised that a new type of blood testing meter is out that involves no blood testing, no sticking, no pain. You wear a small testing module on the backside of your arm and to check your blood sugar, anytime 24/7 you simply wave your meter over that module. Many health insurance companies pay some or all of the cost on these. I do not have one yet, and I have not checked with Medicare. I also do not have the name of the product, but I do know that people who have them seem to love them. Someone here will give you more information or do a web search for the information...

Finally, an A1c is a blood test your doctor should require you take every time you see him/her. This is a 90 day average of what your blood sugars have been and give the doctor and patient a good picture of how well your diabetes is being controlled. It is an important benchmark we all use...if you doctor is not testing this and then going over the results with you....change doctors!

Well I have babbled enough...hope some of this is helpful and not to overwhelming....

alamogirl likes this.
div2live is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 16:41   #28
Active Member
 
Team-zr1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: USA
Posts: 27

Member Type
Type 2
Diagnosed in 2019

7 likes received
2 likes given
Default

Morning Veejay

So if I get it right you stab harrycary your fingers like 300 time a month, you must be a sadist ! :-)

I hope you use all 10 fingers and toes ! :-)
how the hell can fingers heal with that many times ?

Thanks for all the learning content you give to others
I too dumb on this yet but hard to see is per meal your only can only handle 8-10 grams of carbohydrates ?

I do not do this everyday but here is an example of the heart monitor I strap onto wrist, each point is from another day but right side shows once I got sick how the numbers jumped up

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeeJay View Post
ADA = American Diabetes Association

BG = blood glucose (aka blood sugar)

As I outlined above, I test...
-- before a meal (for baseline - or to determine what my BG level is before I eat - that way I will know how my BG was affected by that particular meal)
--one hour after the first bite to see how high my BG went in response to the carbohydrates eaten at that meal

-- two hours after the first bite (optional) to see if my BG is going down toward the pre-meal level. For some diabetics (and for some types of food) it may take another hour for this to occur.

So, if I eat three meals a day, that's 6-9 times.

Then, you can add in the fasting BG. Testing when you first wake up and before you eat anything.

So, that's 10

Now, you can reduce the daily testing by chosing one meal a day to test around, make good records of the carbs you ate so you can make adjustments. Then the next day chose a different meal, and so on. Takes a bit more time to gather meaningful data but it is a way to reduce the number of strips you use.

It was through this method of testing that I discovered my body can only handle 8-10 grams of carbohydrates at one time. More than that, my BG went well over the 140 mark. Now I plan my meals so that I stay within my range.

All this is discussed in this thread: https://www.diabetesforum.com/diabet...ng-method.html

And is outlined in www.bloodsugar101.com under "How To Lower Your Blood Sugar"

I believe there are some online food calculators, others can fill you in on that. (I use a carb counting book and paper and pencil.)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Chart1.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	92.4 KB
ID:	11915  


__________________
Teamzr1 - Corvette Racers
Team-zr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 16:54   #29
Moderator
 
VeeJay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Midwest USA
Posts: 9,275

Member Type
Type 2
Diagnosed in 2010

11880 likes received
4357 likes given
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamzr1 View Post
I hope you use all 10 fingers and toes ! :-)
how the hell can fingers heal with that many times ?
All 8 fingers, rarely the thumb. It IS a lot of testing - at first. Once you have a good understanding of what foods are "safe" (that is, don't raise your BG very much) then you can slack off when you are eating meals you know (from testing) are okay for you.

Fast forward a couple years or more... I don't take any diabetes meds or insulin, so I can get away with spot checks every week or so. The foods I eat are second nature to me now and I build my meals and snacks from my safe list.
Quote:
Originally Posted by teamzr1 View Post
...hard to see is per meal your only can only handle 8-10 grams of carbohydrates ?
You might want to browse through the meal threads in the Diet forum
https://www.diabetesforum.com/diabetes-diet-nutrition/
You'll be surprised at how good we all eat.

__________________
My low-carb recipe collection on Pinterest
https://www.pinterest.com/VRStudio1/...light-recipes/
70 yrs. Dx May 2010
Diet controlled: VLC/HF
BG steady with no highs or lows.
A1C in the 5% range.
____________________________________
Gluten intolerant, sensitive to dairy & eggs.
Eat no grains
VeeJay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 17:22   #30
Active Member
 
Team-zr1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: USA
Posts: 27

Member Type
Type 2
Diagnosed in 2019

7 likes received
2 likes given
Default

Hi div2live

Well off to the wrong start then as I read somewhere white rice was OK
so crappy frozen dinner that had white rice, chicken and cheese

It is hard for single person as food goes bad or stale before eating it all
so things like veggies go bad soon and worse is my eating style, if it even looks like it is getting bad I throw it out.

I cannot boil water with out screwing it up
Twice a week I try to fry eggs and that end up looking like they were bombed

Also I always tend to eat the same things
Now all blown to hell such as
in most mornings I eat couple of frozen pancakes, which are thin
1 frozen shredded potato patty and a American cheese on toasted bread.
so now I see why many say they lost weight
Because your starving !

You have to be a mad scientist to work all this out.

Lastly anyone find this new device you mention, any type of cost and I also have only Medicare so be nice if they would give me some of the damn money I paid into for over 50 years it for a test tool like this !

By the way, I made decent wages for decades, lot of money forced from my pay checks for Medicare, now once signing up to Medicare the fed yank off like $200 a month for Medicare which I only have used twice in last eight years
If no women were here I have choice words for what I think about that

Quote:
Originally Posted by div2live View Post
teamzr1...you probably do not feel like it, but compared to most 'newly diagnosed' diabetics you are off to a great start!

1st you are curious and seeking information! This is foundational to dealing with diabetes and seeking knowledge will help you find what is best for you!

2nd you have a sense of humor, as we all face challenges and sometimes we just have to sit back and smile about how screwed up things can get!

So...keep it going and it will get much easier as you more through this knowledge quest...

Briefly, here is a basic guideline I used early on as to what carb filled food I should stay away from.

Anything with grains, including rice, wheat flour, etc. no breads including dark breads, flat breads, etc (sorry).; no root crops, carrots, beets, potatoes including sweet potatoes; no fruits, although some of us can tolerate a small handful of blue berries, or 2-3 strawberries; nothing with sugar, syrups, or honey, like candy, cakes, pies, etc. etc. no sugar filled drinks including all forms of milk, except Heavy Whipping cream that is high in fat and very low in carbs, this is ok and good for us!

Of course their are exceptions to all those rules and some diabetics can tolerate more carbs than others, you will learn these as you go through the learning process, But when I started I avoided all carb'ie foods period!

Now what you can eat!

The monitor tool got here last night
Have to read a damn 52 page booklet first so sock it too me on how to do this test correctly so I can then go stab myself

Wonder if we can be arrested for stabbing a human :-)

Generally all forms of meat provided no sugar or syrups are added like sugar cured ham (eat salt cured) and some types of bacon. Most all hard cheeses are ok, most all vegetables are ok, and for snacks, pecans are ok, walnuts are ok, almonds are ok, and my personal favorite Fried Pork Rinds they provide the salty crunch I miss and dipped in salsa, they are a great snack. They also add fat to my diet which offsets the loss of carbs so I still have plenty of energy....

I do not get hungry, I eat what I want (in the world of low carbs), I only count carbs I do not count calories or anything else. If I want a snack, I have a snack...I have lost over 70lbs. since May of 2015...which I needed to lose...

On the metformin, it is a tried and true diabetic medication. You are on 1/2 of the max dosage one can take. I take twice what you take and I cannot take anymore. It works slowly over a period of weeks and unless you are monitoring your blood sugar you will not know the slow change. But it is an important medication for diabetics to take if they can tolerate it.

As for 'finger sticks' if you get a meter & tabs, to start testing, you should know their is a proper way to do it that is fairly painless. Unfortunatly, many medical professionals do not teach new diabetics the painless way to take a sample. When you get to that point, come on this website and ask for that procedure so that you do not 'stick the tip of your finger' because that hurts....we stick the sides of our fingers where the nerve endings are less frequent...but you need to know more later about how to get a 'good' sample...

Also be advised that a new type of blood testing meter is out that involves no blood testing, no sticking, no pain. You wear a small testing module on the backside of your arm and to check your blood sugar, anytime 24/7 you simply wave your meter over that module. Many health insurance companies pay some or all of the cost on these. I do not have one yet, and I have not checked with Medicare. I also do not have the name of the product, but I do know that people who have them seem to love them. Someone here will give you more information or do a web search for the information...

Finally, an A1c is a blood test your doctor should require you take every time you see him/her. This is a 90 day average of what your blood sugars have been and give the doctor and patient a good picture of how well your diabetes is being controlled. It is an important benchmark we all use...if you doctor is not testing this and then going over the results with you....change doctors!

Well I have babbled enough...hope some of this is helpful and not to overwhelming....

__________________
Teamzr1 - Corvette Racers
Team-zr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Dumb dumb dumb TTM Diabetes Forum Lounge 16 05-16-2013 13:47
Dumb but Fun, Numa Numa in English ColaJim Diabetes Forum Lounge 0 04-12-2013 21:57
Well that was dumb! Hillary Diabetes Forum Lounge 6 12-22-2012 18:35
Judge Judy - Dumb and dumber ColaJim Diabetes Forum Lounge 7 09-03-2012 18:46
ok...pump newbie has a really dumb question... onaughmae Insulin Pumps 9 11-18-2010 22:00

LEGAL NOTICE
By using this Website, you agree to abide by our Terms and Conditions (the "Terms"). This notice does not replace our Terms, which you must read in full as they contain important information. You must not post any defamatory, unlawful or undesirable content, or any content copied from a third party, on the Website. You must not copy material from the Website except in accordance with the Terms. This Website gives users an opportunity to share information only and is not intended to contain any advice which you should rely upon. It does not replace the need to take professional or other advice. We have no liability to you or any other person in respect of any content on this Website.


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 01:45.




Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.