The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a type 1 diabetic for 17 years and am thinking of switching from manually giving insulin through syringe to using an insulin pump...any experienced users have some pros and cons for me to think about before I decide? I'm concerned about malfunctions in the pump which scares me cuz I don't want it to pump too much and give me a seizure. Any feedback is greatly appreciated

·
Registered
633 Posts
I am a type 1 diabetic for 17 years and am thinking of switching from manually giving insulin through syringe to using an insulin pump...any experienced users have some pros and cons for me to think about before I decide? I'm concerned about malfunctions in the pump which scares me cuz I don't want it to pump too much and give me a seizure. Any feedback is greatly appreciated
I understand your concerns and just keep in mind that what someone else expeiences does not mean it will be that way for you.

With that in mind let me share my story of the pump and how it has helped me. It was 15 years ago that I first started thinking about one. I did all kinds of research and sent away for information and followed some pumps. Finally it was when I could no longer manage my glucose levels with MDI that I got my pump. It was a blessing in disguess. It forced me to become a better diabetic. Better at counting carbs, better at checking glucose levels, and better at eating the right stuff.

Now as far as pump malfunctions, I have had none. Not even so much as pause or over dose of any kind. It is much more rugged than I would have ever thought. In three years I have never had it diconnected for more than 15 or 20 minutes and it has worked beutifully. I have often asked myself why I waited 36 years to do this.

Hope your experiences work out well.

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
I have rarely read that a pump has failed and delivered an overdose of insulin. When someone reports that happening, I think it is very likely that they set the wrong bolus or basal, without realizing it, and the extra insulin was due to human error. My pump has performed perfectly for 4 years. I'm like Adjitater, and wish I had started pumping many years ago.

·
Registered
4 Posts
i just started using a medtronics pump 2 years ago and i love it. the only down side is having something attached to you all the time. but it feels just like a beeper and i have never had an issue with it malfunctioning. i recommend it highly. it has helped with my bgl a lot but remember it is also easier to get tempted and just dial it up a notch to have that sweet. goodluck.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank u for all your input. I have recently watched youtube videos on the medtronic pump and am very interested in it

1 - 5 of 5 Posts