The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello my first post!

im going on a 10 day camping trip with about 6 of my friends to the boundary waters! i was diagnosed like 3 months ago with type 1 and im going on this trip in august and i need help with what to use to keep everything cold for 10days?! i need to keep insulin pens and test trips cold!

Thank you !

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Are you camping or backpacking? If you'll be in camp, you'll surely have coolers for other things that must be kept cold. For backpacking, there are products made for the express purpose of holding the pens/vials to keep them cold, and I think they're water-activated. Others will be along with specifics, but I think you'll be fine - you have lots of time to make preparations & figure out what works best for you.

Welcome aboard.

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
Welcome! I know nothing about using drugs, but we no doubt have some here who do...it'll be interesting to read their thoughts. I'll learn something, so thanks for asking.

Good luck,

·
Registered
554 Posts
If you are using insulin pens, they can be kept room temp for up to 30 days. If you pack the supplies in the center of your pack, it should stay an okay temp.

·
Registered
617 Posts
I use the Frio's that was mentioned earlier, they're great. For me, 2 smaller ones have turned out to be more practical than one large one to hold everything.
Sometimes I put stuff in a cooler bag but am always nervous that the insulin will end up right next to one of the freezer blocks and thus get ruined.
Edit: don't forget to bring lots of dextros, especially if you're going to be more active than usual.

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Yep Frio is the brand I hear of most, but google insulin coolers -- there are others!

My brothers and father used to love camping in the Boundary Waters! My husband's late mother came from there and had many stories ...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts