The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ride 10 km to work and 10 km home when i arrived today at home I checked my sugar levels and still its 11.5 . I'm eating lunch at 11am and its 1pm don't know what else to do.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Hey jimbo,

It's very probable that your blood sugar is going down, then up, then down, then up while cycling.

That's what mine does... It moves about 3 full points down, then my liver dumps glucose in and it goes 3 points up, etc...

So the timing may have something to do with it - it's possible you're reading it when it's back up.

Also, for many of us vigorous exercise will up our blood glucose - if you're not used to the 10km ride, your body could be spiking it as a "fight or flight" response. In this case the key for many diabetics is to KEEP GOING, but at a slightly lower intensity, and to cool-down well at the end of your ride, so you're not stopping while huffing/puffing...

A combination of low-carb dieting, adding medications prescribed by your Dr., and daily exercise WILL help with both insulin-resistance and blood glucose control. But it can take time.

It took me about 2-3 weeks to start seeing decent results, and I went VERY low-carb and VERY exercise-heavy in addition to the metformin my Dr. prescribed.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Exercise makes my bg spike. No matter what I do it spikes. It usually takes about 2-3 hours to come back down. Also what are you eating for lunch?

·
Registered
322 Posts
i usualy ride about 10 miles each time i ride my bike. and just about every time my BG goes up. i do find that it returns to my normal, or slightly below normal very quickly though.
Like beefy said. keep riding the spikes wont be so high or so bad in a few weeks.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
jwags said:
Exercise makes my bg spike. No matter what I do it spikes. It usually takes about 2-3 hours to come back down. Also what are you eating for lunch?
Thanks for answering, for lunch I ate a tuna sandwich and a nectarine maybe I should of ate only 1/2 my sandwich. I'll try to space out my portions better. I also had a very stressful day at work. That might of contributed to it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts