The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone,

Well today was my 26th birthday, but even more important it was my first birthday with diabetes. Less than 50 days ago I was diagnosed with Type 2. Minus the fact I didn't have an ice cream cake waiting for me tonight, I actually had more fun than I have had in years. I went to a few bars, had drinks like usual, hung out with friends, ate good food (in moderation). If anyone has any belief that diabetes should control your life, this should be an example that it shouldn't and doesn't have to.

The first few days after being given my testing supplies, it was a real downer, to the point that I was afraid to do anything. But now, things have turned for the best.

My initial A1C was 16.9%. Testing 2/3 times a day since my diagnosis, my average blood sugar has dropped to 122. Personally I am aiming for 110 but if I had to take my A1C today I would confident and pleased with my results.

Now-a-days I subsitute french fries for salads or chilis, white bread for double-fiber wheat, and normal sodas to a mix of diet, water, and a "social mix drink with reg. soda".

Eating less and more frequently, with walking, and better head on my shoulder about what I eat, I am hoping to set a record of over an 11 percent drop in A1C. If I can get my next A1C below 6 percent, and continue to keep it down for 1 or 2 more tests, I will be off my medication (1000 mg metformin/day).

I am a diabetic, but i feel great!!

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Happy birthday, James!

You are setting records all right - you're a walkin' talkin' success story in your first two months! Way to go!

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Hello Everyone,

Well today was my 26th birthday, but even more important it was my first birthday with diabetes. Less than 50 days ago I was diagnosed with Type 2. Minus the fact I didn't have an ice cream cake waiting for me tonight, I actually had more fun than I have had in years. I went to a few bars, had drinks like usual, hung out with friends, ate good food (in moderation). If anyone has any belief that diabetes should control your life, this should be an example that it shouldn't and doesn't have to.

The first few days after being given my testing supplies, it was a real downer, to the point that I was afraid to do anything. But now, things have turned for the best.

My initial A1C was 16.9%. Testing 2/3 times a day since my diagnosis, my average blood sugar has dropped to 122. Personally I am aiming for 110 but if I had to take my A1C today I would confident and pleased with my results.

Now-a-days I subsitute french fries for salads or chilis, white bread for double-fiber wheat, and normal sodas to a mix of diet, water, and a "social mix drink with reg. soda".

Eating less and more frequently, with walking, and better head on my shoulder about what I eat, I am hoping to set a record of over an 11 percent drop in A1C. If I can get my next A1C below 6 percent, and continue to keep it down for 1 or 2 more tests, I will be off my medication (1000 mg metformin/day).

Happy Birthday to you! I hope that your next A1C will be a good number. I also hope that you are able to maintain the A1C without medication.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hello Everyone,

Congratulations Tolarius! Keep up the good work. Sounds like you are doing the right things to keep yourself healthy.

·
Anti-Man Made Carbs!
1,891 Posts
Great story!

Give us a one month update when you can

·
Registered
204 Posts
Happy birthday Tolarius - It's good to meet you!

You are doing just great and so quickly too. How did you get onto the right track so quickly? Just keep on going and you will do OK!

Best wishes - John

1 - 6 of 6 Posts