The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How come the only time my two hour is higher than my one hour (after meals) is after breakfast? I just had eggs with cheese and sausage this morning? My fasting this morning was 100.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
If your breakfast is normally higher in fat and protein content than your other meals/snacks, that could account for it.

I normally have a very high fat breakfast also - typical for me is 2 Eggs, Bacon or Ham, and a piece of sprouted-grain toast with natural peanut butter and no-sugar-added jam. The combination of the fat/protein makes any carbs I do eat slower to digest.

Not to mention your breakfast contained almost zero carbohydrate. The process of converting the protein you ate into amino acids must take place before those amino acids can be converted to glucose - causing your spike to come later.

This is NOT a bad thing, it's absolutely normal. And, unless you're doing endurance exercise (running, cycling, etc.,) on a daily basis, you don't really need the carbs.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Mornings are the toughest for a lot of us. Even if you don't eat your bgs will probably go up. I think a lot of it is the leftover DP affect. It messes with my numbers until noon or so. The one way I have counteracted the exta spike is to add another dose of Metformin in the morning. I take one 850 when I wake up and the second around 10:30 am. For some reason this stops the secondary spike.

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
Because of some odd happenings, my FBG was 83 this morning and it was 2 o'clock before I could stop and eat and so I took mine right before my meal and it was only 98. I've wondered what not eating did to me, and I guess not a whole lot...but, I sure was hungry!

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If your breakfast is normally higher in fat and protein content than your other meals/snacks, that could account for it.

I normally have a very high fat breakfast also - typical for me is 2 Eggs, Bacon or Ham, and a piece of sprouted-grain toast with natural peanut butter and no-sugar-added jam. The combination of the fat/protein makes any carbs I do eat slower to digest.

Not to mention your breakfast contained almost zero carbohydrate. The process of converting the protein you ate into amino acids must take place before those amino acids can be converted to glucose - causing your spike to come later.

This is NOT a bad thing, it's absolutely normal. And, unless you're doing endurance exercise (running, cycling, etc.,) on a daily basis, you don't really need the carbs.
Where do I find sprouted grain bread? I see it mentioned here alot.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts