The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my first question is; Is this the correct forum for questions? I have already introduced myself and was wondering if my questions should be posted somewhere else...

Second; so one week into my new lifestyle and today I had to attend a meeting at my son's school. I volunteered to go with his 5th grade on a 3 day field trip to Gettysburg. So other then the obvious issue of being trapped on a bus for 5 hours with a bunch of ten year olds... the real problem for me will be food. The school has a tight schedule on the trip and no time for me to find low carb food. The meal trips planned are to places like McDonald's... I need ideas on how and what food to pack that does not need to be kept cold and will travel well... any help would be great..

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Go to Mc'Ds get there qtr pounder and through the Hamburg bun away or eat it open face. dont get FF get a salad, a diet soda. all set

·
Registered
141 Posts
I usually post questions under 'Diabetes Diet and Nutrition'. On the main menu index, scroll down until you see the picture of a tomato and other veggies, that makes it easy to find when you need it. You will also see the link there if you want to look for recipes.

As for what to take on a trip that isn't perishable... nuts, Slim Jims and other Beef sticks. Pepperoni isn't refrigerated in the store, you could take it in a reclosable bag.

Someone may know for sure whether or not cheese has to be kept refrigerated.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
When I am travelling I make the best of it. When you eat at fast food, get salads, order a burger and take off the bun. You can get the eggs without the muffin, just ask. I would also bring your own stash of low carb snacks- nuts, atkins bars, low carb crackers, peanut butter, etc. I give you a lot of credit. 3 days with 10 year olds. I used to be a teacher and a field trip of 8 hours drove me nuts. Hopefull Gettysburg is not hot. Everytime we go there it is so hot.

·
Registered
219 Posts
When I am travelling I make the best of it. When you eat at fast food, get salads, order a burger and take off the bun. You can get the eggs without the muffin, just ask. I would also bring your own stash of low carb snacks- nuts, atkins bars, low carb crackers, peanut butter, etc. I give you a lot of credit. 3 days with 10 year olds. I used to be a teacher and a field trip of 8 hours drove me nuts. Hopefull Gettysburg is not hot. Everytime we go there it is so hot.
I agree with the others. One more thing to note...make sure you skip the ketchup on your burger. It has quite a bit sugar in it :smile:

Cheers,

Jeremy

·
Registered
299 Posts
Cheese sticks in individual sealed packages will do fine out of the fridge, they will get a bit soft but warm cheese actually has better flavor. You might also make some of those wonderful low carb cookies and cheese crisps to take with you - check in the recipe forum. A small jar of no sugar added peanut butter (plain on a spoon works for me - Or, use as frosting on some of the cookies) - just watch the portion size. If they go for pizza you can eat just the topping and toss the crust. Have fun!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts