The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks for all the responses; I haven't been on the site since I posted. foodaholic, I'm "lucky enough" to live in Texas too (heavy sarcasm), and am so irritated with Texas' ignorant governor and attorney general that I want to move out of state; I'm embarrassed to say I'm from the state which I believe I heard was 50th out of all 50 states in terms of healthcare. I ended up going with the best plan I could afford (UHC), which is a HMO. I've never had an HMO, and to make it more interesting, my PCP was an app called Galileo (my friend and I start singing the Queen song every time I mentioned it - am trying to keep my sense of humor). I quickly started yelling at Galileo because I never knew who was asking me for my personal information (a MD, a NP, a medical student, a non-medical person off the street) - there was no way of knowing because no one ever signed their names. Crazy! I finally got them to give me a referral to a live PCP I've seen in the past (think they were glad to get rid of me), but there are no appointments available for the next three months, and I am lucky enough to have the same endocrinologist, whom I was told can do a pre-authorization form for my new pump, but no one really knows. No one has ever heard of an insulin pump or a CGM or an infusion set and none of it is on the formulary, but I have the same DME provider, so they help a little. I have the MiniMed 630G and have had it for four years, so it expires in May and I'll need another one. But that's for another post.

Right now the problem is that Novolog is not on the formulary, so I got Humalog at my last refill and it's not working well at lowering my bgl's. I've been running in the 2-300s for the past two days (no ketones) and even got a couple of HI scores on my CGM, and I'm having to dose myself with syringes to try to get to a normal bgl, but I'm doing it over and over and over... I've always had fairly tight control; A1C was 6.8 last August, but last December it was 7.4 and will probably be worse now, and I've gained over 25 lbs since the pandemic started. Will see the damage when I get bloodwork done next month before my appointment, but I will call my endo Monday morning to get her opinion about dosing. I just read an article which said both Novolog and Humalog are fast-acting and they're basically the same, but not so for me. Has anyone else had the same problem with Humalog? Thanks.

·
Registered
4 Posts
No experience with Humalog (not an insulin user). But I do have experience (successfully) challenging formulary. You need a cognizant (or "cognizant-adjacent") doctor as an ally. The most recent time I did it was with an NP (lower stakes that time but still...). Do you have records from your CGM showing that your BG is harder to manage with Humalog?
Yes, I have tons of records from my CGM showing extremely high BGs; when I go to my endo I will bring it with me. They always download it into their system. And thank you Steve for the suggestion. I will ask my endo to do a "pre-authorization" or whatever they call it when they're requesting something outside the formulary. Great idea!! Her nurse can do that at the same time they're requesting a replacement insulin pump for me.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts