The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My A1C was at a 15.3 when diagnosed 3 weeks ago, and It ranges from 220 to 457 that I know of. My Dietician said to test 3 or more times a day, but the Doctor said only to test in the am and at 4pm. I don't know if I can be prescribed more test strips or get if I will have to buy them myself.
I eat according to the dietician, take my meds, and have been exercising.
The Doctor increased my metformin to 500 mg three times a day and glipizide twice a day.. and added Januvia 100mg in the am.
I would like to request to go to an endocrinologist but don't know if I am being too hasty.(my doctor seems to not be concerned). These numbers scare me.. HOW long does it take for the numbers to regulate or at least start to go down??
I am underweight currently... and haven't been able to gain any weight while being on meds.
ANY advice?

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
I'm just going to refer you back to your other thread where I already answered these questions. :cool: I will add here that if you are willing to adopt the LCHF way-of-eating, you can dump the glipizide and the januvia. They are dangerous drugs and will cause more harm than they help.

I also agree with Philip - I think if I were you I'd be looking for a new doc.

·
Registered
547 Posts
My A1C was at a 15.3 when diagnosed 3 weeks ago, and It ranges from 220 to 457 that I know of. My Dietician said to test 3 or more times a day, but the Doctor said only to test in the am and at 4pm. I don't know if I can be prescribed more test strips or get if I will have to buy them myself.
I eat according to the dietician, take my meds, and have been exercising.
The Doctor increased my metformin to 500 mg three times a day and glipizide twice a day.. and added Januvia 100mg in the am.
I would like to request to go to an endocrinologist but don't know if I am being too hasty.(my doctor seems to not be concerned). These numbers scare me.. HOW long does it take for the numbers to regulate or at least start to go down??
I am underweight currently... and haven't been able to gain any weight while being on meds.
ANY advice?
Do you mean that your blood glucose values range from 220 -457 mg/ dl ?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Do you mean that your blood glucose values range from 220 -457 mg/ dl ?
Yes, 220 was my lowest and 457 was my highest.. that was while testing 6 times a day because The dietician was able to give me strips until I had the script for strips.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm just going to refer you back to your other thread where I already answered these questions. :cool: I will add here that if you are willing to adopt the LCHF way-of-eating, you can dump the glipizide and the januvia. They are dangerous drugs and will cause more harm than they help.

I also agree with Philip - I think if I were you I'd be looking for a new doc.
C-peptide and GAD tests are for LADA right? I have been researching and That seems like the best test to try... Hopefully I can get a referral or have my mom help me find a new Dr.
I will definitely look into LCHF. The side effects of these meds seem like they attack the organs that are already compromised..
Thank you for your Information :)

·
Registered
547 Posts
Yes, 220 was my lowest and 457 was my highest.. that was while testing 6 times a day because The dietician was able to give me strips until I had the script for strips.
Since I am not living in America, I dont know who you can turn to now for getting good qualified help and advice. Somebody else here will be able to do this, sorry.

·
Super Moderator
9,523 Posts
Hi Krissy, welcome to the forum. I agree with everyone else here that a new doctor is needed. If a doctor is not concerned with your high numbers, I would definitely find a new one. One would think an endo should be the most knowledgable about diabetes, key word is should, but that is not always the case. An endo is not required to get the tests done for GAD or c-peptide. I'd rather have a good GP that is willing to listen and work with me.

As far as testing, you could go to a Walmart and get a Relion Prime meter and strips, the strips are around $9 for 50 strips, compared to some other brands of strips being $50-60 for 50 strips. This option is sometimes cheaper than you can get even with insurance coverage. Lots of testing is very important early on in getting control of your BG. You'll find info about recommended testing in BS101 links.

Follow the links given already. First thing you need to do is dump the carby food advice given by your dietitian if you want your BG to get down below your way too high 200s. They advise way too many carbs. A lot of us here eat less carbs per day than dietitians recommend per meal. Sugars, breads, cereals, pasta, starchy vegetables, fruits, most snack foods, drop them completely for now and get your BG down. You may be able to add a lot smaller potions back later, but it is of most importance to lower your dangerous BG now.

Reactions: Shanny

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
I am not a doctor, but I think you need to see an endo. Soon. Very soon. The BG numbers you are reporting tell us it is very likely your body is trying to cope with BG levels that can and will cause organ damage. I hope, on Monday, if your doctor will not make a referral to see an endo fast, then you or your Mom will call your insurance company to find out if you can contact an endo on your own.

The c-peptide and GAD auto-antibodies tests could be a huge help in figuring out what is going on...if the beta cells in your pancreas are dying, you are going to need insulin. Even if your beta cells are healthy (now, because I suspect they are being damaged by high BG levels) you may need medication to help get your body get regulated.

In the meantime, I encourage you to go to Walmart, get the relion prime test kit and whole lot of test strips. Test your BG before you eat (baseline), then 1 and 2 hours after eating. Depending on cause, LCHF eating should start lowering your BG.

I think this is very serious for you. Please let us know what happens.

·
Banned
164 Posts
Actually, a new PCP would also suffice. I have met a few PCP's and GP's that far surpass an endo's knowledge in diabetes management. I also agree that a doctor change is definitely in order, here.
Agreed my PCP is very knowledgeable in diabetic care. Although she's not sure I'm "full blown" as we say (even to the point based on my A1C with her she would not consider me diabetic). She is the first Dr. that has said eating low carb is the best even if your not diabetic.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm 21, I have been exercising, to try and lower BG levels but this morning I woke up at 150 and after a meal and workout it was 297. I had a healthy breakfast and drank pleanty of water, I don't understand why it went up so high? But the medication seems to be helping since I woke up with normal range number.. any comments?

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
I'm 21, I have been exercising, to try and lower BG levels but this morning I woke up at 150 and after a meal and workout it was 297. I had a healthy breakfast and drank pleanty of water, I don't understand why it went up so high? But the medication seems to be helping since I woke up with normal range number.. any comments?
What do you call a healthy breakfast?

I call a healthy breakfast eggs bacon/sosage NO bread NO oatmeal
NOTHING with carbohydrates carbs raise BG ALL carbs raise BG.

So what did you have for breakfast?

·
Registered
18 Posts
No, those numbers are not even close to normal. And no, because you are type 1 (I'd bet a lot the your doctor is wrong - you are not type 2), those drugs won't help. Actually drugs like glipizide probably will speed up beta cell burnout. 150 is still safe, but because of those drugs you may very soon not be able to produce any insulin at all. You need to test C-peptide (I don't think that antibodies are necessary now but of course testing won't hurt). Most likely it will tell you that you need insulin. Not soon. Not very soon. Immediately.
I don't want to scare you. I've heard about people with a lot higher sugars and they didn't develop ketoacidosis. And probably you're safe at least a month. But it's not certain. Why gamble?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts