The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

I was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes last Friday (23y old) once I visited the local Hospital Urgencies.

I was dehydrated (and drinking more than 5 of water liters per day) and my Blood Glicemic level was 475mg/dl, no headaches or anything like that...

I was hydrating for about 8h at the hospital and taking insulin since then. My levels are now between 160-350, it's still high but I think I shouldn't expect 'green zone' values for the first days.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm currently doing the following:

Breakfast: 6U novorapid
Lunch: 8U novorapid
Mid-afternoon snack: 4U novorapid
Dinner: 8U novorapid
11:30PM: 10U Lantus

But I believe it was mainly to check how it goes, I've an appointment scheduled for tomorrow to talk how to manage doses, diets, etc...

B

·
0 Posts
But I believe it was mainly to check how it goes, I've an appointment scheduled for tomorrow to talk how to manage doses, diets, etc...
Yes, you're on what I'd call the starter plan at the moment. 10 units of Lantus is the recommended starter dose for that particular basal insulin. As to the rapid-acting insulin, I'm not a Type 1 so I have no knowledge as to what the starter plan is in that area. I will say that getting council so quick in regards to your new onset diabetes is a plus. They should teach you how to titrate up your basal insulin and adjust your rapid-acting bolus insulin according to your carbohydrate count in any meal.

At this point I feel your glucose meter is going to become your best friend. It's your gauge, if you will, to what's going on with your blood glucose at any given moment. For a very high majority of diabetics this disease is fully manageable.

After your appointments...come on back and let us know what they said. I'm sure we'll be highly opinionated in regards to what you've been told. :D

Oh, and welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Hello & welcome, SSpt. Happy to have you with us . . . there are several type 1 members here, some on MDI and some are pumping. Ask all the questions you have - there's so much wisdom, knowledge and experience here!

Take care and visit often!

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Welcome to the forum. As someone who is roughly the same age, 22, and has only been diagnosed a short time, 6 months on Friday, I can say I know exactly how you feel. Listen to what your doctors have to say but I found a wealth of information on this board. The people here are great. Come back often and ask all of the questions you like!

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Hello and welcome! For the time being you need to follow the advice and use the insulin dosages your doctor prescribes. Later on you can make your own dosage adjustments and fine tune to get better and better control. I advise you to eat a very low carb diet while you are running high blood sugar, so the highs will not be so very high as they are now.

I have been type 1 for 65 years and I am very healthy. After you have adjusted to insulin and have good control, you will find your routine to be much easier, and more comfortable. Good luck in the weeks ahead!

Richard

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here I am after my first appointment with a doctor.

Today I learnt more about:
  • How to adjust my doses according to what I eat
  • BG/insulin ratio
  • Carbs/insulin ratio
And my lantus dose was increased from 10U to 20U.

They advised me not to go lower than 100 mg/dl immediately since I may feel Hypoglicemic symptoms due to the high values I had last week (475mg/dl when diagnosed).

Since I'm a student and I can get better support for diabetes in the town where I study (University Hospital), such as free pumps, nutritionists, etc, I'll probably change to that Hospital.

At least the government here pays everything for diabetics other than the test strips (pays 90% of it's price)

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
That sounds like things will be very good for you after you have adjusted. If the cost of test strips is a problem, I suggest that you buy a Relion meter at Walmart for $9 and then buy a box of 100 strips for $40. The strips cost 40 cents apiece. That is less than half the cost of strips for name brand meters. I use elion meters frequently. They are just as good as any other meter.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That sounds like things will be very good for you after you have adjusted. If the cost of test strips is a problem, I suggest that you buy a Relion meter at Walmart for $9 and then buy a box of 100 strips for $40. The strips cost 40 cents apiece. That is less than half the cost of strips for name brand meters. I use elion meters frequently. They are just as good as any other meter.
Hi Richard,
Not at all, in fact the strips cost me just 10% of the price (4€ for 50 strips). I was just saying it's the only thing I pay thanks to our healthcare system (I'm Portuguese).

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Hi Everyone,

I was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes last Friday (23y old) once I visited the local Hospital Urgencies.

I was dehydrated (and drinking more than 5 of water liters per day) and my Blood Glicemic level was 475mg/dl, no headaches or anything like that...

I was hydrating for about 8h at the hospital and taking insulin since then. My levels are now between 160-350, it's still high but I think I shouldn't expect 'green zone' values for the first days.
Hello and welcome to the forum! I am T2, so I will let the T1 speak. Visit often!

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Very good! I'm glad you have such a good setup there.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Welcome to the forum! I'm a new diabetic too. I must say your english is MUCH better than my Portuguese. :D

Oddly enough....my BG level was also 475 at dianoses!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts