The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

At this young age i hve accepted am a diabetic. just one question though it sound very stupid and annoying . can i occasionally drink . If so what form of alcohol can be preferred?

am currently on metformin 500 mg. twice a day .

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Hi

At this young age i hve accepted am a diabetic. just one question though it sound very stupid and annoying . can i occasionally drink . If so what form of alcohol can be preferred?

am currently on metformin 500 mg. twice a day .
Hello and welcome to the forum! Gosh, I really don't know that much about drinking and diabetes, I do not drink alcohol. I do know that you have to be careful if you take insulin. Hopefully someone else will step in here and help you out with your question. Please visit the forum often and take care.

·
Registered
191 Posts
From what I've heard alcohol lowers your BS quite a bit. I'd only have one or two drinks if you do drink. And when you drink, eat some carbs to help offset it.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Beer and wine are not the best choices and either are drinks with sweetened mixers but a Long Island Iced Tea would not hurt you other than getting you drunk so don't drink and drive.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Beer and wine are not the best choices and either are drinks with sweetened mixers but a Long Island Iced Tea would not hurt you other than getting you drunk so don't drink and drive.
I probably know a little more about this than I should "wink". I am a type 1 so I can only speak from that point of view. There is a definate drop that will happen if you drink like say a Shot of Liquor (usually 0 carbs). I am sure that some of the sweet ones may have carbs, so you can check. Good point to make here is that most Alcoholic beverages do not list nutritional Information. You have to look for it online. I usually stick to foods that I know the Nutrition on when I eat out so this is not a problem for me. I also have the iphone so i can look up at the resturaunt. I usually check my sugar before my first drink and usually order a light meal, no fries, nothing heavy carbs, like a sandwiche with a light protein (chicken etc., no beef). So i go ahead an bolus for my dinner and my first drink (if there are carbs). A light beer works best for me i think they usually have 7-10 carbs per beer. After my meal I do not usually bolus for light beer. I check my sugar after an 1 or so (more time after the meal is better you want 2 hours) then I make a correct if needed, but I usually back off a little to 1/2 the correction. When I am done my goal is to have my sugar in the 200 range two hours after my last drink. any lower I typically will have a drop in BG. That is my light beer calculation, the calculation for each drink is different. If I am drinking liquor I try to stay away from the carb ones, no flavor rum, vodka, wiskey, I usually don't drink liquor so I can't really give you any advice. I like to have beers. Another note, if I check my sugar after my meal and it is low, then I will have non-light beer or a mixed drink with a full flavor soda etc. I met someone on time that was wearing a pump and she owned a bar and she would drink a lot. She would end up in the hospital with low sugar and she continued to do the same thing over and over. She had no idea why her sugar would drop, i would not recommend that you drink if your not willing or able to control your BG. I would start by drinking the same thing until you figure out your body. There is no set formula for anyone.

·
Registered
930 Posts
bnenyiii

bnenyiii

quote: I met someone on time that was wearing a pump and she owned a bar and she would drink a lot. She would end up in the hospital with low sugar and she continued to do the same thing over and over. She had no idea why her sugar would drop, i would not recommend that you drink if your not willing or able to control your BG.

Ignorance can be corrected, stupidity is forever!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Alcohol in Diabetes

Dear Ravi,
Yes u may drink in moderation only Vodka,Whisky or Gin.
They have zero Carb and no sugar.
No no to Beer,wine and anything that has sugar.
I usaually drink Vodka and it seems it has brought my Sugar level down to 100.I have Diabetes since 6 years..
Cheers
Nimish -Mumbai

·
Registered
12 Posts
I just checked Calorie King and 5.1 oz of red wine has 3 g carbs. Dry red wine has little or no sugar in it. I usually have about 2-3 oz per evening with dinner and it lowers my numbers. I am not on insulin or any other medication where I have to worry about low levels though. I am on Metformin. We are all react differently to what we eat and drink - so perhaps testing will help to see what is okay for you?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts