The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone!
My name is Ana. I'm a 25 yr old Filipino-Canadian living near Toronto, ONtario. I've had diabetes for 8 1/2 years. I'm currently on a Medtronic Insulin pump using Novorapid. I've been on the pump for about a year and a half and it's great!
I also have GERD which is a pain in the butt. I tend to feel nauseous and bloated after meals so my doctor prescribed domperidone for it. It's strange because I got the GERD a month after I was diagnosed with diabetes. If you guys have any experience with this please offer any insight! :)

Nice to meet you all and talk to you soon!

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Hi everyone!
My name is Ana. I'm a 25 yr old Filipino-Canadian living near Toronto, ONtario. I've had diabetes for 8 1/2 years. I'm currently on a Medtronic Insulin pump using Novorapid. I've been on the pump for about a year and a half and it's great!
I also have GERD which is a pain in the butt. I tend to feel nauseous and bloated after meals so my doctor prescribed domperidone for it. It's strange because I got the GERD a month after I was diagnosed with diabetes. If you guys have any experience with this please offer any insight! :)

Welcome Ana! I suffer from GERD too. I also have gastroparesis. Both can cause you to be nauseated and bloated after meals. Domperidone is not approved by the FDA for use in the USA. I had to buy my pills from New Zealand and then my doctor told me not to take them because of drug interactions. I take 2 different medications for GERD, Nexium and prescription strength Zantac. Has any doctor ever told you that you might have some neuropathy? It can affect your digestive system and it slows everything down.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Hello & welcome, anamarie. I hope you feel right at home here - thank you for joining us. It's good to have others to discuss with who know what you're going through. There is a wealth of experience, knowledge & wisdom here - type 1s and pumpers from all walks of life - glad you found us! :)

take care,

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Welcome Ana! I suffer from GERD too. I also have gastroparesis. Both can cause you to be nauseated and bloated after meals. Domperidone is not approved by the FDA for use in the USA. I had to buy my pills from New Zealand and then my doctor told me not to take them because of drug interactions. I take 2 different medications for GERD, Nexium and prescription strength Zantac. Has any doctor ever told you that you might have some neuropathy? It can affect your digestive system and it slows everything down.
I was tested for gastroparesis and celiac disease but it came out negative. My endicronologist said it's unlikely I have gastroparesis because my sugar legels are in good control and it doesn't make sense for my stomach symptoms to have started a month after my diagnosis. It's mainly the nausea that annoys me. What kind of drug interactions did your doctor talk about regarding domperidone?

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
I was tested for gastroparesis and celiac disease but it came out negative. My endicronologist said it's unlikely I have gastroparesis because my sugar legels are in good control and it doesn't make sense for my stomach symptoms to have started a month after my diagnosis. It's mainly the nausea that annoys me. What kind of drug interactions did your doctor talk about regarding domperidone?
I take erythromycin for gastroparesis. It interacts with domperidone. Since domperidone isn't available in the USA most pharmacies would not be able to catch any other drug interactions and it could make taking domperidone dangerous. I take Zofran for nausea from the gastroparesis. My nausea is very severe and if I didn't take Zofran, I probably would not have any appetite. I hate being nauseated.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Hi everyone!

Hi Ana, nice to meet you. I also have GERD but I have gastroparesis from my diabetes also. I also take Nexium and have gotten a lot of relief with it. I dont feel nearly as bloated and miserable as I used to ...only if I over indulge.

I also use a Medtronic pump. I got the new Revel. It is an awesome thing for sure. Really made life a lot easier for me :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts