The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone
My name is Jordan and I'm a newly diagnosed type 1 diabetic.
I'm 26 years old but I was diagnosed in Nov 2011 and I was 25 at the time.
I'm a pretty healthy and fit individual other than the diabetes. Needless to say it came as a pretty big shock to me and my family. There is no previous family history of diabetes with the exception of my grandmother who has type 2.

I've been told that insulin is an anabolic steroid which is interesting to me as i'm trying to up my muscle mass and reduce body fat. Is insulin really a steroid?

Are there are any other 20 somethings on here that can relate?

-J

·
Inactive Member
5,318 Posts
Welcome aboard Jordan!

Oh the misinformation of the net. Insulin is not an anabolic steroid. I'm guessing that whoever told you that made the assumption based on the fact that insulin must be injected. Sorry to disappoint but it is a hormone. In fact some of its side effects tend to be increase of body fat and weight gain.

I am a fellow insulin dependent diabetic, I don't like T1 or T2 as many different diabetics use insulin, and was diagnosed in October of last year. Though I can't help with the age aspect. Lol

Tell us more about yourself; which insulin, how you manage D, diets, etc. we're nosy here. But in a good way. The more we know, the more likely someone can help.

So keep us informed and good luck.

Sent from my iPhone

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It was a nurse at the diabetes clinic here in Nova Scotia who told me that.

I run a start up called OneLobby.ca so it keeps me VERY busy. I'm finding it very difficult to manage diabetes, a company, exercise and over life all at the same time.
I take Novarapid 3 times a day with a ratio of 1 unit for every 6g's of carbs and 32 units of Lantus at night.

I eat out a lot (healthy choices) but its hard to carb count. I'm finding it difficult to find the discipline to carb count as well. I usually inject right after my meal but trying to start doing it the right way and inject before.

I'm hoping to be on a pump by November 2012 but I have to first master of the skill of carb counting.

I'm also finding that my appetite is growing (this could be because of the insulin???). How do I put a stop to that?

Welcome aboard Jordan!

Oh the misinformation of the net. Insulin is not an anabolic steroid. I'm guessing that whoever told you that made the assumption based on the fact that insulin must be injected. Sorry to disappoint but it is a hormone. In fact some of its side effects tend to be increase of body fat and weight gain.

I am a fellow insulin dependent diabetic, I don't like T1 or T2 as many different diabetics use insulin, and was diagnosed in October of last year. Though I can't help with the age aspect. Lol

Tell us more about yourself; which insulin, how you manage D, diets, etc. we're nosy here. But in a good way. The more we know, the more likely someone can help.

So keep us informed and good luck.

Sent from my iPhone

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Hello and welcome, Jordan. You seem to be a smart and motivated man. I hope you'll recognize the necessity of putting diabetes control first among equals in your active schedule. Unless you have control of your diabetes, you'll be worthless to control anything else, so don't cut corners.

Pumping itself is a complicated method, if you intend to use all the bells & whistle available on a pump - and there's some neat stuff! It will take time & patience to get your settings done and keep them current. But the pumpers I know wouldn't have it any other way - it gives them a level of control just not available with MDI. Good luck to you & be patient getting things sorted out.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Hi Jordan. I can't help age wise. I'm 45. I was diagnosed 2 months after you with T1. My GP had diagnosed me 7 yrs prior as T2. As soon as my new doc (endo) saw me he told me I was a T1 Blood test soon confirmed that. Before the official diagnosis though he started me on carb counting and using a correction factor with long and short acting insulins. My BS quickly started normalizing.

I am now using the Omnipod pump. I have good control. It is not perfect though. It can only be as good as the information I put into it. I was told by the nurse that the Omnipod is popular with the younger crowd. ;)

If you have a smart phone the calorie king app is great for on the go eating. It even has restaurants and name brand foods on it. My pump keeps track of my carb counts, but the diabetes buddy app helped me with that when doing injections.

Just remember as T1s our bodies do not produce insulin. We need it to survive.

Everyone here is very helpful!!

Welcome!! :)

·
Registered
633 Posts
Insulin is not a steroid but it is an anabolic hormone.

Sent from my iPhone using Diabetes

·
Registered
513 Posts
Hi there & welcome.
I was dx as type 1 June 2011 and had diabetes nurses & nutritionists telling me how to count carbs etc. and it was very scary. Anyway I tried counting carbs and using bolus but then researched a lot myself. Cutting carbs to a minimum seemed to be the answer and worked. I seem to be on honeymoon with maybe a little function back from my pancreas.
Then I found this forum and doing lchf and now I only use basal insulin. A1c was 6.0 in November and 6.3 in March. Hoping to be in the 5 club next test but we will see.
I just avoid all carbs as much as possible and otherwise eat whatever there is. No counting or worrying. Even my cholesterol is behaving well.
Good luck with it and eat to your meter.

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Hello Jordan, welcome! Your daily insulin dosage is rather high for a type 1, and your insulin:carb ratio of 1:6 suggest that you may have insulin resistance (IR). I have been type 1 for 66 years, and was diagnosed with IR in 1998. I have taken a type 2 med for IR for 13 years. Metformin has helped me with my IR and I am now using less insulin. I am currently using 34 units per day (basal + bolus). Metformin has also helped me lose weight. I am now only one pound above my ideal weight. I hope you will ask your doctor about the possibility of having IR. He may not now that type 1 diabetics can have IR, and need a type 2 med. Type 1 diabetics needing a type 2 med, like Metformin, is becoming more and more common.

I am very healthy after 66 years with type 1. With good control you can have a long, healthy life.

Richard

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Hi there & welcome.
I was dx as type 1 June 2011 and had diabetes nurses & nutritionists telling me how to count carbs etc. and it was very scary. Anyway I tried counting carbs and using bolus but then researched a lot myself. Cutting carbs to a minimum seemed to be the answer and worked. I seem to be on honeymoon with maybe a little function back from my pancreas.
Then I found this forum and doing lchf and now I only use basal insulin. A1c was 6.0 in November and 6.3 in March. Hoping to be in the 5 club next test but we will see.
I just avoid all carbs as much as possible and otherwise eat whatever there is. No counting or worrying. Even my cholesterol is behaving well. Good luck with it and eat to your meter.
Rodney - I did not know you'd been able to stop using bolus insulin for now! That's terrific!

Your last paragraph says it all - I may have to borrow it from time to time, because it takes me so many more words to state the very same basic concept! :D

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the info and advice guys! And thank you shanny! Only been in business for 4 months

1 - 11 of 11 Posts